Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Christmas approaches
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:13 
Excellent Member

http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/

Now the youngest member of our family is 20, (not me, my brother) we support this charity around Christmas time. Rather than giving gifts to each other, we buy little things in the pound shops to fill up shoeboxes which we wrap in Christmas paper then they go, to be put with everyone elses', a grand photograph is taken and then all the boxes go to children overseas.

The family get much more out of Christmas this way rather than struggling to come up with ideas of what to give ourselves.

This Christmas, as usual, we shall be helping with the homeless. That surely is the meaning of it all and not panicking around the shops.

Strange tho, as with all things there are people against this because it is said it is anti - Moslem. A website has even been set up against it.

http://www.inminds.co.uk/occ.html

Don't suppose the kids who get the goodies mind tho.

Post subject: Re: Christmas approaches
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:14 
Unpossible!

BANHAMMER PLEASE!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:16 
Skillmeister

To be honest, this is a bloody good idea. Unfortunately I've got three nephews who all like Xbox and Wii games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:17 
Excellent Member

Okay, if you don't want to here fro me, I'll go some where else - take it that's what BANHAMMER means ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:20 
Unpossible!

I was being flippant due to the discussion on your other RANDOM thread. If you're really not a spambot, I apologise. Any spare pressies, send them to me. And seriously, pound shop presents? Sounds shit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:21 
baron of techno

No no, stay.
But see, try to join in with the nonsensical conversations a bit before exhorting people to do things.
At least introduce yourself :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:22 
Unpossible!

kalmar wrote:
No no, stay.
But see, try to join in with the nonsensical conversations a bit before exhorting people to do things.
At least introduce yourself :)

:this: And get an xbox avatar, you'll blend in ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:22 
Skillmeister

I'm sure the Samaritans, or some organisation like that, used to have a similar thing going in Walsall around Xmas time about 10 years or so ago. It was a seriously good idea as you could buy a little extra something while out and about doing your usual xmas shopping.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:24 
Honey Boo Boo

"PERVERTS. Save on expense sex chat lines by ringing the Samaritans and threatening to kill yourself unless they talk to you in a sexually explicit manner."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:25 
Skillmeister

"PERVERTS. Save money on expensive sex chat lines by texting your own filth to your home phone number. Hey presto, the BT text to voice lady will read back your grot in delicious husky tones"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:27 
Honey Boo Boo

A CHRISTMAS DRAWS NEAR!

ATTACK MAGIC
ITEM >RUN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:29 
Skillmeister

Christmas approaches. It's time to get your Pikmin back in their onions before Jeebers is borned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:31 

Most shopping centres have something similar for local children in care, or in deep poverty. I usually pick up a tag and try to find something appropriate (you get a gender and age to try and find something for - boys above 13 are always left, in case anyone else is going to take part this year, try and go for one of those if you can...)

There is also a gift donation run by Boots every year

Anyway, the shoebox appeal is a nice idea. I can understand the viewpoint that it is a Christmas gift and that many of the countries that these gifts are going out to do not celebrate Christmas, but it is a shame that people can't look past any religious significance of the day and just think of it as a time of year for sharing, because the celebration pre-dates Christianity and will probably outlive its eventual demise, anyway.

Anyhow, hi Amanda :)

I think Davpaz was semi-joking, or it's the shock of a new forumite. Have you been a lurker pre-joining? Your posts carry the sound of someone who has read the madness before taking the plunge :p

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:32 
Excellent Member

Amanda wrote:
http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/

Now the youngest member of our family is 20, we support this charity around Christmas time. Rather than giving gifts to each other, we buy little things in the pound shops to fill up shoeboxes which we wrap in Christmas paper then they go, to be put with everyone elses', a grand photograph is taken and then all the boxes go to children overseas.

The family get much more out of Christmas this way rather than struggling to come up with ideas of what to give ourselves.

This Christmas, as usual, we shall be helping with the homeless. That surely is the meaning of it all and not panicking around the shops.

Strange tho, as with all things there are people against this because it is said it is anti - Moslem. A website has even been set up against it.

I hear the FBI and MI5 have a site on it labelling it anti-capitalism. You are betraying our country in its hour of credit-crunch spending need!

This Christmas I shall be dressed as an elf running around trying to placate screaming children demanding sweets and books and things to colour in. Do NOT come to the library to mock me.

As for a website set up against it, well websites are set up against most things by nutjobs of all stripes. Ironically, Moslem charity giving is a core part of the creed, officially at any rate. I think you're supposed to give 10-20% of everything away to charity.

PLUS: Also I am out of date already with this thread as I have to serve someone between every line. And yes, tell us about yourself Amanda, it's a bit like joining in half way through a conversation. :)

PLUS PLUS:

I have served an additional four people between the previous line and this. An hour before I can go home. *Sigh*

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:33 
baron of techno

Although it seems a nice idea, I'm not sure I could bring myself to join in with "sending a remarkable 1.3m shoe boxes to children in Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia."

That's 1.3 million shoeboxes of poundland crap being sent all the way around the world from child labour sweatshops in Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, to be purchased and sent back again.

OK, I'm exaggerating a little and that will sound mean spirited probably, but the overall intention appears to be to spread our brand of consumerist christian-based ritual to developing nations who might well be better off without it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:34 
Skillmeister

Mimi wrote:
Most shopping centres have something similar for local children in care, or in deep poverty. I usually pick up a tag and try to find something appropriate (you get a gender and age to try and find something for - boys above 13 are always left, in case anyone else is going to take part this year, try and go for one of those if you can...)

That's the doobery I were referring to, aye. Excellent idea that. Boys over 13 are easily catered for by buying a copy of Razzle and a box of tissues.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:34 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
I think Davpaz was semi-joking
Always. Still not convinced though. I claim spammer. If I am wrong I will do a forfeit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:35 
Excellent Member

Well apart from pound shop things, we put in soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, boiled sweets etc etc. No war toys because a lot of the boxes go to areas where there have been wars.

I'm in my mid 20's, from east Cornwall a town called Liskeard and believe in live and let live - kind of one world really. I have a boring job (lucky there) and live back with my parents - for now. I hate attempts to divide people up into little groups because i think all people everywhere all want for the same things really. That's why I am dead against all this nasty nationalist stuff which is everywhere in Cornwall now. Even the Guardian newspaper which my father has delivered reported that loads of people down here wanted freedom just like Wales and Scotland and eventually the Guardian had to stop the comments because there were so many. The artcile was written by Peter tatchell who normally campaigns for gay rights but now thinks Cornwall should become free - I think the real issues are: a roof over your head, food, warmth, friendship. When you divide people, the divisions get deeper and deeper and next thing, a war. And then after that, shoebox presents at X - mas. yeah, things in Cornwall are poor, but this isn't the answer. Live and let live but not cut yourselves off from everything. PS - pastys aren't so good when they are so available but enjoy them when you come down on hols.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:37 
Unpossible!

shit. Looks like a forfeit for me. See ya'll monday

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:37 
Skillmeister

davpaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I think Davpaz was semi-joking
Always. Still not convinced though. I claim spammer. If I am wrong I will do a forfeit.

Davpaz proved wrong! HAH! Your forfeit, sir, is to buy a Jazz mag and box of tissues and see if the charity types will accept them as a gift for a lucky teenager.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:39 
Paws for thought

Amanda wrote:

Anything openly christian would have opposition such as that though. We're used to it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:40 
Skillmeister

Well being a heathen, I can use the Solstice as my reason anyway. Bonus points as it's my birthday too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:41 
Paws for thought

I want to burn the heathen. He offends me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:42 
baron of techno

Dimrill wrote:
Well being a heathen, I can use the Solstice as my reason anyway. Bonus points as it's my birthday too.

It'd be funny if it turned out that you are actually the New Jesus though, wouldn't it? Dave would have to worship you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:42 
Excellent Member

Yeah, I have been reading the site a bit before posting. Some one told me I should post on Cornwall 24 but if you say anything on there like I would you get accused of being English, a fascist bastard, a biggot, imperialistic, anti Cornwall and so on. so I chose here instead having seen a poster who always gets shouted down on Cornwall 24 list it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:43 
baron of techno

Well, out of the two internet forums which exist, I'm glad you chose this one ;)

I believe we're big in Cornwall also.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:45 
Skillmeister

I am often accused of being English. Luckily I am. I find it odd all this tribal mentality, to be honest. Can't understand it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:47 
Excellent Member

In simple terms, I am from Liskeard and on the computer while the folks are out, tell me how to get a picture under my name. Not that good at computers ................yet and I don't dare glue anything to the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:49 
Skillmeister

If Cornwall wants to break off from the UK physically, how in heaven's name shall I visit the monkey sanctuary in Looe?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:50 

Dimrill wrote:

Winter solstice, or summer?

I'm 20th December.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:51 

Mr Dave wrote:
I want to burn the heathen. He offends me.
If you think the most offensive thing about Dimrill are his heathen beliefs, you're not trying hard enough.

Amanda wrote:
Yeah, I have been reading the site a bit before posting. Some one told me I should post on Cornwall 24 but if you say anything on there like I would you get accused of being English, a fascist bastard, a biggot, imperialistic, anti Cornwall and so on. so I chose here instead having seen a poster who always gets shouted down on Cornwall 24 list it.
That's MaliA isn't it? Anyway, welcome to the forum, Amanda!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:51 
baron of techno

Amanda wrote:
In simple terms, I am from Liskeard and on the computer while the folks are out, tell me how to get a picture under my name. Not that good at computers ................yet and I don't dare glue anything to the screen.

So many jokes, so little time.

You need to find a small image somewhere (you can borrow my avatar if you like), and right click it and "save to desktop"

In the top right of the forum there's a link "user control panel". Click on that, and then in the list on the left side click on "profile" and then "edit Avatar".

Then click "browse" and upload the image.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:52 
Skillmeister

Mimi wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Winter solstice, or summer?

I'm 20th December.

Twenny foist, me. Also Meaty and Zio.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:53 

Dimrill wrote:
If Cornwall wants to break off from the UK physically, how in heaven's name shall I visit the monkey sanctuary in Looe?

Monkey sanctuary?

Take meeeee! (for my birthday??)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:56 
Skillmeister

*whispers about Monkey World to Meems*
*proudly holds up adoption sponsor card*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:58 

:S Want to go to Monkey World! GJ will take me to Monkey Forest one day, also, I hope! :munkeh:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:01 
Chinny chin chin

Amanda wrote:
Well apart from pound shop things, we put in soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, boiled sweets etc etc. No war toys because a lot of the boxes go to areas where there have been wars.

I'm in my mid 20's, from east Cornwall a town called Liskeard.

Ooohh! Oohhh! Castle Air! The people who did all the flying in Treasure Hunt and Interceptor. I demand you go down there now and borrow G-TELY so I can go and buzz some yuppies.

Chinnytrufax: The coms helicopter in Treasure Hunt (the green one) did some of aerial work in the Robbie Williams video for Angels, but you also see one of the others flying above Robbie near the end when he is on the motorcycle. No CGI, the pilot (who I've met) was doing the low level stuff for real).

And for the kids, here's some background on the greatest show ITV ever produced:
http://www.ukgameshows.com/page/index.php?title=Interceptor

Stick your Come Dancing X Factor on Ice, I want Interceptor back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:04 
Excellent Member

kalmar wrote:
Amanda wrote:

So many jokes, so little time.

You need to find a small image somewhere (you can borrow my avatar if you like), and right click it and "save to desktop"

In the top right of the forum there's a link "user control panel". Click on that, and then in the list on the left side click on "profile" and then "edit Avatar".

Then click "browse" and upload the image.

Thanx re avatar but will have to work on it. All the pictures I try to put there are too big - well think thats what it says.
Anyways, great chatting and must be off now. Will be back though I promise. I'm not a spambot from st Ives!!!!!!!!!!! (but my auntie is on the council)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:04 
baron of techno

Err, Amanda, we forgot to warn you about Chinnyhill. Sorry.
Come back soon :kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:08 
Chinny chin chin

COME BACK!

Gah, I wanted that chopper. I'd just ordered a black leather coat, sunglasses and a bottle of hair bleach dammit!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:19 
Skillmeister

A little on topic type thing. Apparently Lego stores are selling little £1 bags of lego and the entire pond goes to an autistic children charity. Nice little stocking stuffer maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:21 
Unpossible!

lego!? Awesome! I feel I must apoligise for my nobby behaviour. In contrition I shall be extra nice for 5 whole minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:22 
Skillmeister

Remember. Jazz mag. Tissues. Charity. Photos or it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:35 
UltraMod

I took Ange to Monkey World for her birthday. Who's the daddy now, bitches?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:43 
I forgot about this - how vain

Welcome to the forums!

I don't want to cause offense, but a lot of religious charities use the act of charity as a means to spread their faith, which whilst seeming innocuous and reasonable to them can cause a lot of issues in the country they are helping.

There is a lot of religious conflict caused by religious charities (obviously I would say that though ;) ) and I'm sure that a number of families receiving these gifts do feel put upon by them. They feel the west is (to an extent) responsible for their situation and then they are giving presents to their children undermining their own faiths and cultures.

So to an extent that website has a point. (And it claims that "Operation Christmas Child" official declaration of intent is for the "advancement of the Christian faith through... the relief of poverty" - though that seems quite an important part to '...' ) Not that I'm saying this isn't a nice idea though. Just imagine the similar reactions occuring if some rich arabs from Dubai started spreading islam with gifts to our underprivileged areas. Whether or not that is the majorities intention it would still be interpreted that way by many of the people involved.

But it kinda fits with the theme of xmas in the first place. It's how we became christians here in Europe, when are christians benefactors convinced us (with presents) that our pagan winter festival was actually celebrating Jebus and friends.

Which, to be fair, is much more respectable than the ridicule they made of what we now call April Fools and Halloween.

But it is still why I prefer secular charities, I don't feel charity needs an alteria motive. And I don't think Religion is advanced enough at the moment to interact very well with each other yet, and so this isn't necessarily the best way to go about it. Though I admit not nearly enough knowledge on the subject to fix my opinion one way or another, and it is clear that regardless of the claimed ill intentions of the organization those that fill the shoe boxes with gifts are being wonderful people.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:45 
Skillmeister

I want to stroke Lave's head.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:46 

Me too. I agree completely with you, Lave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:46 

I believe in a thing called Lave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:48 
Unpossible!

5 minutes up. that was hard you bunch of bastards.

I dislike any charity making me feel guilty about my charmed life. I don't hurt anyone. I'm a nice guy. Leave me alone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:54 
Honey Boo Boo

Yeah. The less fortunate get all the breaks!

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next