Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: Manhunt 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 19:27 
Bad Girl

I loved Manhunt.

Seriously, it was thick with atmosphere, the story was edgy, and, most of all, those little polgon men really kicked the shit out of each other. Yummy gore.

So, I was more than happy to part with my cash this Friday to play more of the same from those lovely chaps at Rockstar. Cor, they do some good games don't they? And perhaps just a tiny wee bit because of the controversy.

I'd plucked for the wii version to see if I really could virtually stab someone in the testicles (or whatever) (or where ever).

Here's what happens in the first hour of play:

Booting it up, I'm asked if I want to have a go on the tutorial. Why not, aye? It's been a while since I played the PS2 original and with the wii lacking a second analog stick, I better get accustomed to the new control set. So what a surprise to be confronted with a black screen and a large box in the top-left showing a wii control with an arrow pointing down followed by a load of text asking me to move the wii remote downward. Which I do.

*Squishy noise*
*screen splashes unconvincingly with a dark red blood splatter*

... and the box reappears asking me to move the wii remote down again. Which I do. Four times. Finally, another box appears asking me to move the remote into the screen this time. Another four times. Then to move the wii remote left. Four times.

This goes on for ages. I'm not kidding, ab-so-lute-ly a-g-e-s. In fact there is no end in sight. I'm doing it for a good two minutes convinced that the tutorial is going to start but eventually have to quit and get this show on the road.

Finally, I get the game started and I'm quite looking forward to it. I've read the manual beforehand AS I'M SURE EVERYONE DOES WHEN THEY START A GAME and the opening sounds great. "You wake up with your hands around a nurses neck squeezing the life out of her; a needle flopping around in a freshly punctured vein. Your mind is awash with confusion and medication". The cut scene which depicts this is, however, sadly lacking. There's no foreshadowing of this event. You just come straight-in on your character strangling a boxy faced nurse. He must be a right cunt then.

Movement is difficult with the wiimote. Without the second analog stick, you can't spin the camera without spinning your character around on the spot. This means that to look around a corner you've got to hug the wall. You press up on the D-pad to hug the wall and it seems unnecessarily fiddly to do on the fly as your character has to be in exactly the right position.

Onto the good stuff, the lock-on is the same as Manhunt and executions take place in the same fashion. The same brilliant risk/reward(?) mechanic remains. Get in quickly and a swift kill can be performed, stay long enough without being seen and an extravagent murder is performed. Whilst the PS2 requires you to just hold a button longer for the nasty stuff, the wii version wants you perform a different movement. So, once you're close enough, the large atmosphere destroying box from the tutorial (oh, that's what all that shit was about) appears again informing you of the movement required to execute the kill move. So you perform the move anticipating some grisly murder to be performed and ...

The screen goes wobbly. Very wobbly. The colour is sucked out so that it's awash with black and red. You have an idea what's happening but no way of knowing because the effect is so pronounced. The wii version still wants you to perform the kill with movements but the wobbly effect isn't just confined to the blocky murder being performed (that may warp our tiny little minds, Daily Mail readers) but also affects the box which is telling you the movement to make with the remote. FFS. So you can't make out what's going on, on the screen, but also you can't see what move you are being told to make. If you fail to perform the move, you fail to do the execution and you get spotted. And you will fail. Simply cause you have no idea what the fuck you are supposed to be doing.

Ridiculous.

It's so shit that even the first 20 seconds of the game arebugged. You pick up a needle. A needle you can only use once. You move around a corner and a guard blocks your path. Thankfully he's facing away and no matter how noisy you are he'll never turn round. Easy pickings. The first time, I walk up and use the needle. The screen goes wobbly. Pauses. I notice something in a box going wobbly in the corner. Nothings happening. And then I'm back in the game and the guard falls over and gets back up and turns around. I've wasted the only needle and there is no where else to go. I have to restart the level. Twats.

And that first 20 seconds before your first kill? Someone spits on you. Someone pisses on you. And a fat man with no clothes on throws shit on you. YES, HIS OWN SHIT. None of which is rendered invisible by the wibbly-wobbly effect. No, it's all shown. You walk around a corner and a chair flys out of an open cell. You peer around the cell and watch a man hang himself. No wibbly wobbly effect at all.

So it's just the executions that have been censored. Censored to such effect that they might as well not be there at all. In fact, the executions render the game unplayable.

It's also strange that the wibbly wobbly effect lasts for a few seconds after the execution has taken place. There is no good reason why. It just disorientates you massively. You may come out of the shadows for a kill, and want to get back in the shadows quickly afterwards, but it takes a few seconds to figure out where you are. It's just stupid. You get spotted.

The whole thing is just stupid. Stupid.

I don't think I've ever bought a game and got rid of it after only playing for an hour, christ, I even completed Red Ninja, but I'm trading this in tomorrow. Surely they could have just got rid of the executions altogether or, even better, release it in its original form. As it stands its unplayable thanks to the way in which the executions have been edited.

And one last thing: Manhunt 2 has a plastic bag as a weapon - a weapon already seen in Manhunt. In Manhunt 2 when you perform an execution with a plastic bag the screen goes wibbly wobbly. In Manhunt, it doesn't.

Manhunt is still available to buy. In the shops. Right this very minute.

Ridiculous.

Censors: Fuck off. You cunts.

Post subject: Re: Manhunt 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 20:14 

Jesus that's bad. They've rendered the Wii version entirely unplayable there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 22:03 
UltraMod

Can anyone confirm if the 360 version is the same?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 22:05 

What 360 version?

It's PS2/PC/Wii.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 13:40 
UltraMod

Dudley wrote:
What 360 version?

It's PS2/PC/Wii.

Haha, oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 13:32 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 13:35 
UltraMod

7/10? Your review read more like a 5.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 13:37 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 13:53 
Hibernating Druid

Oh dear. Never played the first one and defo leaving this one alone.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 13:58 
UltraMod

The first one was excellent. I'm mildly gutted this one is a bag of turd.

Actually, I've just checked on wiki and I'm not surprised it's shit. The first game was developed by Rockstar North, but this one wasn't. They were just 'overseeing' about three other different developers, each one doing a different platform.

-edit-

If Rockstar North did a proper sequel for the current-gen platforms then I can imagine it being awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:00 
Sitting balls-back folder

Ian Aris wrote:
I don't think I've ever bought a game and got rid of it after only playing for an hour, christ, I even completed Red Ninja, but I'm trading this in tomorrow.
If they've actually made the game uncontrollably broken, that's a full refund job isn't it? Not fit for purpose, and that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:17 
Bad Girl

BikNorton wrote:
If they've actually made the game uncontrollably broken, that's a full refund job isn't it? Not fit for purpose, and that.

Y'know what, the back of the wii box has a freeze of an execution move: neither wibbly, wobbly, black or red. In fact, it's bloody full colour and clearly isn't in the game.

A clear case of misrepresentation if ever I saw one.

Zardoz ought really give the first one a shot though. It's fab-o, well paced and has a great repressive atmosphere. A classic game that is well deserving of its cult status.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:19 

Ian Aris wrote:
Zardoz ought really give the first one a shot though. It's fab-o, well paced and has a great repressive atmosphere. A classic game that is well deserving of its cult status.

He'd hate it. You don't get to be a pixie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:23 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:25 
UltraMod

mrak wrote:
Oh! I forgot to mention, Manhunt 2 is one of only two games that have caused my Wii to crash. (Bully is the other, tellingly)

Yep, the Wii versions of both these games were developed by Rockstar Toronto. Bag o' shite in-house development team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:29 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 14:33 
UltraMod

mrak, is yours on the Wii as well?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 15:06 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 15:19 
UltraMod

Hmm, so perhaps the PS2 version isn't as buggy and shit. Anyone played it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 15:22 
SupaMod

Sounds fun, where do I sign?

"Please, let's not turn into a group of people who say 'optimal' instead of 'best'..." - casaubon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:02 
Goth

myoptika wrote:
7/10? Your review read more like a 5.

Mrak listens to multi award losing games radio show One Life Left (as should everyone) where that score is a running joke.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:04 
UltraMod

Oh right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is OLL better now it's on Eurogamer? I tried so very hard to be a fan last year, I wrote in and everything, but it was painfully bad*.

*except for the Free Market Economy, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:33 

myoptika wrote:
Hmm, so perhaps the PS2 version isn't as buggy and shit. Anyone played it?

Buggy? No.

Shit? Probably.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]