Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just Dance (Switch)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 19:46 

Has anybody here ever played Just Dance on Switch?

If so, does it actually work? I thought that just dance used a camera to detect movement, but reading up it says that it uses the joycons, and I’m not sure how that can possible provide accurate feedback

Bean has started doing Just Dance videos at school (between lessons they put on YouTube videos of Just Dance songs, and the kids dance along) so I thought maybe he’d enjoy the game, but I don’t want it to be disappointing if the couple trips are naff.

Post subject: Re: Just Dance (Switch)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 23:38 
Can you dig it?

Mimi wrote:
Has anybody here ever played Just Dance on Switch?

If so, does it actually work? I thought that just dance used a camera to detect movement, but reading up it says that it uses the joycons, and I’m not sure how that can possible provide accurate feedback

Bean has started doing Just Dance videos at school (between lessons they put on YouTube videos of Just Dance songs, and the kids dance along) so I thought maybe he’d enjoy the game, but I don’t want it to be disappointing if the couple trips are naff.

Yes - my daughter has Just Dance (I think it's 2023, not sure, and she's asked us to DL more songs but we already have a lot of subscriptions and expenses so we won't do that just yet).

How does it work? Here's some vague comments. I really don't think the scoring is based on accurate movement as I seem to do quite well (compared to the kids) but I'm a terrible dancer. I have a suspicion that a big part is about timing (ie when you start or stop the movement, rather than exactly how you move) or rhythm and following a pattern. Arm movements probably count more than leg movements, obviously, as the joycon is only held in the hand, and cos I do that stiff legs and hips dad dancing style.

That being said, it's really good fun and does get the old heart rate and the circulation going. The base games come with a decent amount of songs, but even so after a while you'll probably find the in-built selection wears a bit thin. I would imagine youtube has a TON of choices to pick from.

Honestly, if my daughter enjoys it and I've also had a fun time dancing along I don't really care how it works, we had some big smiles and enjoyed it. Also not having to watch youtube ads (or end up with the kids putting those bloody Preston Plays videos on) is worth a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 23:44 

That’s exactly the kind of thing I was wondering. Thank you so much. He enjoys dancing along and I think he’ll get a lot of enjoyment for him, so we’ll get that. Will be good for the summer holidays i reckon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 20:17 

Bought this for D today and he’s loving it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:29 
Can you dig it?

Awesome! Giving gifts is lovely but when the recipient is really really into it, it just feels even better.

If you ever do figure out how the scoring works, let us know.

Oh, and I'm totally going to claim some of the credit for this outcome because of my high quality and in-depth comments :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:39 

It was precisely the run down of how you get on with it and how your kids enjoy it that made us decide to get it, so yes, your post was extremely instrumental. It helped to settle my expectations as I have been so fuzzy headed that I couldn’t even work out the control system properly from my Google searches.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:44 
Gogmagog

I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 14:13 
Can you dig it?

Does your copy have that 'chacarron' song on it?

It's both irritating and fun, in a silly way.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]