Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: QR codes - unwanted pixel info
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 16:48 

http://www.conveniencestore.co.uk/news/ ... mpaign=rss

Energy companies could be FORCED to used QR codes on bills: 'despite all the evidence showing that QR codes on bills would make a real difference to people, energy companies still haven't done anything about it'.

Would they? Would they really? I can understand why they were thought of as a good idea, but they didn't take off. Have QR codes missed the boat? What kind of research could possibly show that 'QR codes could make a real difference to people'?? How bored am I?!?

Post subject: Re: QR codes - unwanted pixel info
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 16:54 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

So the real question is what does the QR code link to ?

If its a webpage with your bill on it your going to need to put that behind a username and password so whats the problem with just logging into their website anyway ?

Ahhh - I've read it and basically the QR code takes you to a comparison website where its going to say 'if you switched to company X you would save 4p'

They can of course put lots of adds on that page and generate add revenue from you , and at the same time make it bloody awkward for you to switch provider - and only include the ones in the comparison that give the correct kickbacks to the right people.

Mimi wrote:
How bored am I?!?

Probably at the same level as me to read the thread and the link :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 17:09 
Excellent Member

It's impossible to answer the question because, as zaphod says, it doesn't specify what the QR code's going to do. A detail without which the entire article is rendered hilariously pointless. Gaelle Walker should probably stop pretending to be a journalist because she's shit at it.

Also, fuck that site in general. When I tried to copy the journalist's name I got a stupid pop-up about copyright.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 17:16 
Excellent Member

Although, to be fair to Gaelle, it seems the government doesn't even know what it's trying to accomplish here judging by the utter lack of actual content in their proposal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 

I assume the QR code will link to a page on the company's website that says us 'if you switch to our I Love To Have Baths 600 tarriff you could save up to 13p a year' comparisons. It's not the information that is a strange thing to find useful of necessary, it's the idea that the best way to reach it is via QR code.

The only people that can reach QR codes are those that still have a reader installed and can be bothered to use it, whereas most people could type http://www.eneegycimpany.com/tariffs into their phone, PC, whatever with no hassel. Or print the result on the bill itself...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 21:55 
UltraMod

Eneegy Cimpany sounds like a type of percussive instrument.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]