Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 'Alternative Medicine' Stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:07 

*** WARNING! APRICOT STONES ARE LETHALLY POISONOUS AND CAN CAUSE DEATH IF INGESTED - SEEK PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE BEFORE USING ***

OK, from BnB... please note that I am *NOT* saying 'this definitely works' or anything really, but there does seem to be a great deal of this particular one on the web, my very scientifically minded and sober business partner mentioned it to me, it costs nowt, can't do any harm that I can see and *might* just help someone here.

...Talking of alternative cancer cures, I understand that raw, non sun dried apricot stones can be effective. Yes, really.

http://www.naturalnews.com/027088_cance ... ealth.html

I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames here by Doc and others, but I thought I'd share this with you all anyway - you never know. (I'm intrigued as to the source of this knowledge - my very sober-minded and arch skeptical business partner, who is the last person on Earth to fall for any foolishness of any kind, very unlike myself of course. His mother in law's terminal, post treatment lung cancer was apparently 'cured' via this method).

If anyone else has had any experience of effective 'alternative' medicine or practices and/or has any further information re. the above (other than 'you're a gullible twat Cavey, I'm surprised at you' type responses, I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)

Cavey

Post subject: Re: 'Alternative Medicine' Stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:10 
baron of techno

And just to catch up on this one:

Decca wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Word reaches me that my Wife's Godmother's Dog has been cured of cancer using Homeopathic medicine.

Fetch me my knife.

It would be possable to say my mother's dog was cured of cancer by "Homeopathic medicine" as well. However the catch here is that this was what they had to call the real drugs she was given after it was cut out because they mostly contained Majurana extract and it was a way of getting round the law.

Decca wrote:
They cut out the main lump but she was in a lot of pain, mainly through joint swelling. Weed effects dogs in pretty much the same way as humans and the tablets they put her on really helped - I'm sure part of this was because she was a very stubborn active dog and didn't understand that leaping aroudn the house was what was causing a lot of her pain.

OK, just to understand, this was entirely about pain relief rather than any cancer-repelling properties to mop up after the surgery?

That makes more sense now :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ah, I'll put it in here then:

My god Cavey, that link is utter shite. The closest it gets to anything resembling verifiable data is

"There are many success stories from people using just laetrile or apricot pit kernels."

And not only that, it goes on to suggesting that a suitable complementary therapy would be PUTTING COFFEE UP YOUR BUM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:11 

Quote:
Big Pharmacy

Link to a site that isn't written by lunatic morons who think the pharmaceutical industry is a shady Illuminati style money making greed-o-corp, and I'll have a read.

Oh, and facts, statistics, etc.

And absolutely not trying to cause offence, but even steady-minded science sceptic-types can get it wrong when a dying loved-one is involved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:11 
Unpossible!

Wow, you went done it.

*throws poop*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:12 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Seeing Cavey start this thread makes me think I'm in an alternative universe, so why not?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:13 
Unpossible!

Homeopathy aside, why shouldn't alternative medicine work? Most drugs are plant derived, yes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Captain Caveman wrote:
Interestingly, coffee *IS* used for colonic irrigation though, IIRC

Yes. By mentals. Who PUT COFFEE UP THEIR BUM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:
Homeopathy aside, why shouldn't alternative medicine work? Most drugs are plant derived, yes?

Don't make me quote Dara O'Brien at you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:14 
Unpossible!

Do it. I'm wearing my sarcasm proof pants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quote:
We tested them, and the ones that worked, we called 'Medicine'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:16 
baron of techno

DavPaz wrote:

Clearly a lot of it does "work". All the fuss is around how wise it is to take (potentially quite powerful drugs) based on what is quite often old wives tales or hearsay from people with little or no medical understanding, using products that are not regulated and perhaps not even well understood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:17 
Unpossible!

Bah. What about those we haven't tested. Or indeed, shoved up our arses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:17 

Quote:
Keep in mind that the cancer industry world wide is estimated at a 200 billion dollar a year industry. There are many in various associated positions within that industry who would be without a job if that cash flow dried up suddenly with the news that there are cheaper, less harmful, and more efficacious remedies available. Big Pharmacy would virtually vanish.

Okay, I'm biting.

It's very hard to take that paragraph seriously when you've got a collection of adverts for homoeopathic medicine "FOR SALE HERE" right next to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:18 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Interestingly, coffee *IS* used for colonic irrigation though, IIRC

Yes. By mentals. Who PUT COFFEE UP THEIR BUM.

Is that related to teabagging? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Poo: Flung.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:19 

kalmar wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Clearly a lot of it does "work". All the fuss is around how wise it is to take (potentially quite powerful drugs) based on what is quite often old wives tales or hearsay from people with little or no medical understanding, using products that are not regulated and perhaps not even well understood.

Homoeopathy is generally about very small, diluted doses. Also, as Craster says - we've tested proper medicine extensively and we know it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

This isn't a homeopathy thread though, it's an alternative medicine thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:20 

Ah right. Falls under the umbrella though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah. Even Cavey isn't enough of a space monkey to have any faith in homeopathy though....

(dangles bait hopefully)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:21 
Sleepyhead

Homepoathy is an alternative to medicine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:24 

Craster wrote:
Yeah. Even Cavey isn't enough of a space monkey to have any faith in homeopathy though....

(dangles bait hopefully)

*sniff, sniff*

Oooh, that Cavey-bait is sure tempting; the forum equivalent of a Toblerone bar and a steaming cup of Builders Brew spec tea. Mmm, Toblerone. :D

(Actually, I *did* find a homeopathic cold medicine very useful a couple of years back. Whereas Lemsips and all the rest do nothing but make me feel like shite, this did the job. Of course, could well have been a pure coincidence and/or placibo effect. Nice choc, Craster!)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:26 
EvilTrousers

Penn & Teller offer an opinion...

(only 1st 1/3rd of it but worth a watch)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:26 

kalmar wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

:this:

To be serious for a second, I'm totally with you on this mate, but I suspect we could have an uphill struggle on our hands here. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:29 
baron of techno

Not watched that, but I have to say P&T tend to come across as smug right-wing twats when they start preaching about stuff like this. So won't watch just in case, to avoid spoiling entertainment value of their magic shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:30 

kalmar wrote:
Not watched that, but I have to say P&T tend to come across as smug right-wing twats

Fuck, really?

/clicks link

:D

EDIT - actually, your assessment was right, Kalmar. 'ALL alternative medicine is 100% BS, even chiropractors are all quacks, and anyone who has the slightest belief in the efficacy of any of it, is a gullible wanker'. Whatever, guys. :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:36 
EvilTrousers

kalmar wrote:
Not watched that, but I have to say P&T tend to come across as smug right-wing twats when they start preaching about stuff like this. So won't watch just in case, to avoid spoiling entertainment value of their magic shows.

We've just started Bullshit from the first season. I may well be bodyswerving some of the nuttier episodes for fear of having then spoilerised.

On the subject of alternative medicine you have to factor in regression to the mean and the placebo effect for anything that purportedly "works" without any scientific basis.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Captain Caveman wrote:
EDIT - actually, your assessment was right, Kalmar. 'ALL alternative medicine is 100% BS, even chiropractors are all quacks, and anyone who has the slightest belief in the efficacy of any of it, is a gullible wanker'. Whatever, guys. :roll:

Without the chiropractor bit, that's a pretty good rule to go by, to be fair.

/watches

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:44 

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that the cancer industry world wide is estimated at a 200 billion dollar a year industry. There are many in various associated positions within that industry who would be without a job if that cash flow dried up suddenly with the news that there are cheaper, less harmful, and more efficacious remedies available. Big Pharmacy would virtually vanish.

Okay, I'm biting.

It's very hard to take that paragraph seriously when you've got a collection of adverts for homoeopathic medicine "FOR SALE HERE" right next to it.

I tend to agree, but there again, what's the big deal about buying a pound of fresh apricots at Sainsburys?

(That said, I read elsewhere that there are toxicity issues with apricot seeds and if you eat too many, too fast, this can even kill you).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh right - that thinking of chiropracty (sp). Agree with all of that, then :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:49 

Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

/watches

Well, I know for a fact that my chiropractor massively helped me when I slipped my disc, so for that reason alone they can GTFF and lose all credibility from my POV.

Much of it could be BS for all I know, but I'll always listen to people who have direct experience of something that helped them, something that might be rooted in 'ancient wisdom' (the basis of which is the genesis of many modern drug treatments, as Kalmar has noted) and particularly if there's nothing in it for them. For me, it's called having an open mind; for others, it's called being a gullible twat. :shrug:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have a great belief in the efficacy of a lot of alternative medicine, however I believe the culture surround its use is extremely dangerous.

Those who advocate it strongly rarely have any idea of why the particular products have the effect they do, nor do they have any grasp of the potential effects on other conditions people may have or how multiple supplements can interact. Dosages are also poorly understood. When was the last time you saw "If you are taking XYZ or have high blood pressure, consult your doctor before using this product" on a bag of ginseng from a Chinese health centre?

One recent example was St. John's Wort. It was the favoured remedy of choice for every condition under the Sun a few years ago, until it was provably linked to significant amounts of cases of clinical depression and even suicides.

Overall, more dangerous than helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:55 
baron of techno

In my limited experience, alternative medicine tends to be limited to "easing" fairly low-level stuff that will get better by itself anyway. Like, a sore throat, some skin complaint, you know the kind of thing.

So whilst you "could" go and get some powerful antibiotic or steroid cream from the doctor, a lot of people avoid those treatments because they are afraid of side-effects (which is fair enough if you actually read the list in the box!).
The alternative whatever-berry doesn't have such a warning, seems "natural" so people feel better about it.

That kind of thing I'm marginally OK with - I mean there's limited potential for harm, it's probably a waste of money worst case. There is of course a lot of quackery out there on the internet though, and perhaps not surprising that people lump it all into the "dangerous bullshit lunacy" category.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

There's limited harm if you're a healthy person. That ceases to be the case if you have a heart condition, reduced liver function etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:59 
baron of techno

Conceded!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:04 
EvilTrousers

I can't recommend the book Bad Science by Ben Goldacre enough.

It explains a lot of why people believe in the efficacy of basically non-effective remedies through the strength of the placebo effect (i.e it's so powerful that it has been shown that if a Doctor prescribing a placebo believes in it then the patient can show alleviated symptoms) and how regression to the mean explains the symptoms going away but it being attributed to whatever remedy has been taken.

I firmly believe that there is no scientific basis for it to work but it does work because people believe it will work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:10 

Trousers wrote:

It explains a lot of why people believe in the efficacy of basically non-effective remedies through the strength of the placebo effect (i.e it's so powerful that it has been shown that if a Doctor prescribing a placebo believes in it then the patient can show alleviated symptoms) and how regression to the mean explains the symptoms going away but it being attributed to whatever remedy has been taken.

I firmly believe that there is no scientific basis for it to work but it does work because people believe it will work.

That's all well and good Trousers, but as I and others have stated, the genesis of a great many 'modern science' medicines is rooted in alternative medicine practices. Even now, the research into the efficacy of herbal plant remedies of even deeply primitive civilsations goes unabated, often with some success, so I am to understand.

Thus, to write off all alternative medicine, in its complete entirely as total bunkum/no more effective than placebo is, frankly, both arrogant and wrong.

(Still, I'd expect nothing less from your goodself, you hippy. OHO. :D <--- Joke :) )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:18 
Esoteric

I watched a programme about this on the TV a while back. Well it was more sort of natural useful things like earwax remover and so on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't penicillin sort of natural being mold?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:26 
baron of techno

Trousers wrote:

You're talking about homeopathy here. Or, well, non-effective "remedies" as you say. That's one sub-set.

There is another category of stuff that does contain active ingredients, that do affect your body in some way!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:29 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't penicillin sort of natural being mold?

It is indeed JC mate, as opposed to a sythesized chemical. It is a naturally occurring organism which has to be 'grown' in massive tanks.

Garlic apparently has antibiotic properties and was widely used in the 19th century and well before that for this specific purpose.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:32 
EvilTrousers

kalmar wrote:
Trousers wrote:

You're talking about homeopathy here. Or, well, non-effective "remedies" as you say. That's one sub-set.

There is another category of stuff that does contain active ingredients, that do affect your body in some way!

Sorry yes. My bad - I'm lumping the lot together.

Olbas oil is a fucking god send for instance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:33 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

In my mind, there is no doubt that some products and methods, not currently classed as 'medicine', and hence qualifying as 'Alternative Medicine' may work to remedy a problem. And of course alternative therapies do pass over to the mainstream But the main problems I can think of off the top of my head are:

1) As an unchecked, unregulated and scientifically untested mechanism, the problem that you could do it wrong, create more problems from another consequence, or overdo it. See Caveys own example of potentially overdoing the apricot seeds.

2) The risk that as part of following an alternative therapy (that may be hokum) you ignore the medically recognised remedy (which isn't).

3) By relying purely on alternative diagnosis and remedies, and therefore not picking up on a more serious underlying condition until it is too late (someone I know did this with The Cancer)

That said, if there is no 'normal' remedy, or if nothing else has worked for the problem I'd try it with care.

Also, Homeopathy can cock the cock off. As can earcandles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:59 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Trousers wrote:
Penn & Teller offer an opinion...

(only 1st 1/3rd of it but worth a watch)

:!:

I didn't know they were back on youtube! They got splatted a couple of years ago. Ooh, you sod, I'ma have to watch them all again now. That programme was great.

kalmar wrote:

I think calling them 'right wing' is pretty unfair. They attack a wide variety of targets on that programme, and there's far from being a simplistic left/right wing angle. They take each subject as it comes, which is the only sensible way to do it, and I respect them for that. They've also openly apologised without pressure when they found out after filming a show that they got a significant fact on it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 20:42 
Esoteric

Oh and when my cousin pijjin had leukimia (sic) they fed him tons of bananas. Something about potassium (sic).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 20:50 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Gaywood is going to explode when he reads this. I can only assume this thread is an evil attempt to finish him off in his weakened state. For shame, Cavey!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 20:57 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

/watches

Also, that's not even slightly what they said. At the start of the chiropract bit they specifically say that it can help with muscular and spinal problems. They're pretty careful to qualify their "this is not true" statements, although they do obviously hyperbolic bits for comic effect. Those bits are usually signposted by calling people "asshole".

I mean, the chiropractor they interviewed claimed that it's suitable for, and that he has worked on the spines of two year olds and newborn babies. A doctor doing that would be struck off and possibly face criminal charges. It's partly because a lot of alternative medicine is under-, if at all, regulated, and peer review does not exist. There's no quality control, so even the people who are not trying to pass their particular treatments off as a cure-all, and act and advise their customers responsibly, knowing the limits of what they offer, are indistinguishable from the people who will ignorantly, or even knowingly harm you for financial gain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:05 
I forgot about this - how vain

Captain Caveman wrote:
Trousers wrote:

That's all well and good Trousers, but as I and others have stated, the genesis of a great many 'modern science' medicines is rooted in alternative medicine practices. Even now, the research into the efficacy of herbal plant remedies of even deeply primitive civilsations goes unabated, often with some success, so I am to understand.

Thus, to write off all alternative medicine, in its complete entirely as total bunkum/no more effective than placebo is, frankly, both arrogant and wrong.

(Still, I'd expect nothing less from your goodself, you hippy. OHO. :D <--- Joke :) )

* cracks knuckles *

The genesis of the entirety of mainstream, evidence based, modern scientific medicine comes from barbaric, preposterous insane medical practices. Blood letting, surgery, Leaches, The 4 humors and on and on.

One of the reasons Homeopathy and the like were so successful, was because whilst they did nothing to help you, 'proper' medical treatments by the doctors in the beginning stages of modern medicine actively harmed you. Sugar versus bloodletting and so on. Medicine for any illness that regresses to the mean (i.e. you'll get better on your own with enough time) will lead ingredients that do nothing being selected over ones that do something. As is easier to do harm to a person rather than benefit them.

But, this isn't an issue of alternative versus modern medicine. This is an issue of effective medicines versus non-effective ones.

The only the thing at debate is how you deduce what an efficacious medicine is. Cavey is suggesting that the word of friends and anecdotes is sufficient evidence for him to try and by proxy recommend active medical ingredients. Even for the cure for cancer.

I do not think that is safe. I think that is potentially dangerous for the individual and definitely dangerous for society.

Evidence based judgements in health are the best way to ensure medicine is both effective, safe for use and crucially amplify and maximise the effects of the medicine.

The culture of alternative medicine undermines this. It is against science and progress, proponents would agree, and hold that as a badge of honour, but it isn't "Big Pharma" they are against, but the very idea of having interest in how their cure works. In this case it's how apricot pips cure cancer, they may spout some science here and there to back themselves up, but they have little desire to to maximise and amplify that mechanism. And no desire to prove themselves wrong.

In Bad Science, Goldacre lists the top 5 or so papers in medical journals. By 'top' I mean references and cited. The ones scientists pay attention to. And they are all critical of a drug, method or practice. The scientific methods discards everything it can and celebrates the process of realising it was wrong.

Alternative medicine discards nothing.

For every well meaning apricot stone for cancer they'll be another well meaning recommendation of #top" class="postlink">lemon juice and sodium chlorite* for Crohn's disease. For every willow bark they'll be homeopaths recommending against malaria drugs and for sugar pills.

There will always be a market for short cutting the scientific method by trying something untested off an unqualified but well meaning quack and occasionally it may work. But it may just as well hinder, or harm. When you explore these alternatvie medicines you have only yourself to judge their safety and efficiency.

And whilst you may believe yourself qualified I know that I am not.

* which react together to form bleach

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sinister agent wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

/watches

Also, that's not even slightly what they said. At the start of the chiropract bit they specifically say that it can help with muscular and spinal problems. They're pretty careful to qualify their "this is not true" statements, although they do obviously hyperbolic bits for comic effect. Those bits are usually signposted by calling people "asshole".

That's what prompted my post after that one - chiropractors are indeed skilled at fixing peoples backs. The one on their show claimed he could fix anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Oh yeah, sorry - the second part of that post was aimed at Cavey and Kalmar. Poor formatting on my part, there.

I fully expect a shitty email from my boss tomorrow regarding this matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sinister agent wrote:
Oh yeah, sorry - the second part of that post was aimed at Cavey and Kalmar. Poor formatting on my part, there.

I fully expect a shitty email from my boss tomorrow regarding this matter.

Is he a chiropractor is his spare time?

;)

Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next