Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 
Hibernating Druid

The single player is ok, it's no Bayonetta though.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 

Yeah, thank fuck.

Actually I really must play Bayonetta again soon, I might take some preemptive paracetomol later and give it another go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 
Hibernating Druid

To guarantee you'll be in the mood to have sex with it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 17:58 
Excellent Member

Been playing this a fair bit today, I have to say that I'm in love with the multiplayer. I'm getting about four kills to eight deaths a round currently - I seem to be pretty good at surviving but pretty lousy at killing. I do get a fair few kill assists though. Average round score for me is around 500. The engineer's SMG I find pitiful, but I am racking up infantry kills with the RPG of all things - I find it surprisingly accurate if you take into account drop, and it has a nice little splash damage radius. Also excellent if you can hit bang smack with it.

Been playing each class equally so far - am the most advanced on Assault and Medic at the moment. I think of all the starter weapons M60 is best. As for the graphics - incredible! I have to put shadows on low if I want 30fps but I've maxed out everything else and it looks brilliant, and the 'War Tapes' audio is stupendous too.

Atrocity! If you could PM your server details I'd love to join you on there. I'm not that great yet but I'm dragging myself up. I'd prefer not to stat-pad though. I'm having fun even when I'm being whaled on, to be honest.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 18:02 
Hello Hello Hello

NervousPete wrote:
Been playing this a fair bit today, I have to say that I'm in love with the multiplayer. I'm getting about four kills to eight deaths a round currently - I seem to be pretty good at surviving but pretty lousy at killing. I do get a fair few kill assists though. Average round score for me is around 500. The engineer's SMG I find pitiful, but I am racking up infantry kills with the RPG of all things - I find it surprisingly accurate if you take into account drop, and it has a nice little splash damage radius. Also excellent if you can hit bang smack with it.

Been playing each class equally so far - am the most advanced on Assault and Medic at the moment. I think of all the starter weapons M60 is best. As for the graphics - incredible! I have to put shadows on low if I want 30fps but I've maxed out everything else and it looks brilliant, and the 'War Tapes' audio is stupendous too.

Atrocity! If you could PM your server details I'd love to join you on there. I'm not that great yet but I'm dragging myself up. I'd prefer not to stat-pad though. I'm having fun even when I'm being whaled on, to be honest.

Our server is called 'The Manx Headshot Society' - it seems to be either completely full or completely empty on an entirely random basis. (A search for 'Manx' in the server browser will bring it back.)

Our main sessions are Friday and Saturday night, if there's a good crowd on there we'll play on our own server, if it's empty we'll play on someone else's.

We do tend to go back to our own server later in the night if it's empty and just have a total dick around - latest favourite (with friendly fire off!) was putting six land mines under a quad bike, getting two people sat on the quad bike, and then shooting the mines out (which causes them all to explode simultaneously).

On one occasion we got the quad bike to fly almost from one conquest attack point to the next (complete with two people sat on it) :DD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 
Excellent Member

I can't do any research as all the "games" pages are blocked at work, but has anyone heard anything about Dr Pepper related DLC?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 

Cpt_Droman wrote:
has anyone heard anything about Dr Pepper related DLC?
Aye, it's new outfits so you can play dress-up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 
Excellent Member

ah, nowt good then? Is it live yet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Wullie wrote:
Cpt_Droman wrote:
has anyone heard anything about Dr Pepper related DLC?
Aye, it's new outfits so you can play dress-up.

What?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 

Cpt_Droman wrote:
ah, nowt good then? Is it live yet?
Yes. Good luck getting a code though, I've a feeling it's a US only promo.
Bobbyaro wrote:
What?
Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 20:16 
Excellent Member

Had a couple of big sessions today. A mixed bag, first load were great, then there was a fucking frustrating streak where no matter where I deployed I was killed nigh instantly and I couldn't aim for shit, then got a bit better at the end and unlocked the second Assault weapon, the Medic's kit and made Private 2nd class. This game is genius fun, I only wish there were slightly better ways of deterring main base spawn camping, like a sensor that highlights all enemy in your own base and a little extra range in the random base location respawn.

Used to be able to fire grenades accurately, now forgotten how to. Bah!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 20:18 
Paws for thought

NervousPete wrote:
Had a couple of big sessions today. A mixed bag, first load were great, then there was a fucking frustrating streak where no matter where I deployed I was killed nigh instantly and I couldn't aim for shit, then got a bit better at the end and unlocked the second Assault weapon, the Medic's kit and made Private 2nd class. This game is genius fun, I only wish there were slightly better ways of deterring main base spawn camping, like a sensor that highlights all enemy in your own base and a little extra range in the random base location respawn.

It's called spawn with squad mates rather than at base. While they're dicking around in your base, you're much freer to go after flags/M-COM stations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 21:20 
Hello Hello Hello

NervousPete wrote:
I only wish there were slightly better ways of deterring main base spawn camping, like a sensor that highlights all enemy in your own base and a little extra range in the random base location respawn.

Base/spawn raping is really lame, any admins on the server should issue a warning about it and then start kicking if people don't fall into line.

I make a point of adding servers to my favourites where I know there's a decent chance of an admin or two being online in the evenings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 21:40 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

It's called spawn with squad mates rather than at base. While they're dicking around in your base, you're much freer to go after flags/M-COM stations.

I usually do spawn with squad mates, its just that sometimes I want a little breathing room to advance and read the situation, rather than be plunged into the thick of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 
There is a brilliant allbeit cunty way to win at rush games.

UAV + 10 pieces of C4 + fly onto objective = destroyed objective and re-useable UAV.

Works a charm, but people get rather annoyed and come and hunt you down at the UAV station

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 20:22 

Anyone having a game tonight?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:28 
EvilTrousers

Now that everyone is playing Just Cause 2 I've really got into the multiplayer on this - my timing is as impeccable as ever.

It's got the steepest learning curve of any on-line game I can think of. The first few hours seem to be a parade of death with you slowly climbing up in rank and unlocking slightly better peas for your pea shooter and less wonky sights. I understand the draw of the extra goodies that are given out as you rise in rank but fuck me when you're a level one and some fucker picks you off from half way across the map with their assault rifle and 4x scope 3 seconds after you respawn it's not exactly encouraging you to play more.

Play more I have though and all of a sudden every couple of games result in a new bit of kit and I am managing to kill more times than I die. For the first time last night I was the best scorer on a map thanks to about 600 points of squad heals when he all hid behind a railway carriage with our MCOM station in but we were just mobile enough not to get killed by mortar strikes or other explosives.

So stop playing Just Cause 2 because it's so disgustingly ugly compared to the PC version* and play BFBC2 plzthx.

* Speaking of PC versions I reckon more accurate mouse controls for snipers are exactly what this game needs more of. No wait the other one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 
UltraMod

Don't worry, Trousers, I have this on the way. We can both be behind the curve together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 
Excellent Member

I too am behind this curve of which you speak. The number of times I've fired rounds at an enemy only for them to spin round and drill me dead is infuriating. Yet somehow, it still remains tolerable. But yes, I wish the curve to unlock stuff wasn't quite so steep. I'm halfway to Private Third Class and have only unlocked about one new weapon or gadget for each skill set. My KD ratio is about 4/10 on a good day. I've got a lot to learn.

I've now unlocked First Aid kits but don't seem to be able to get them most matches - is there any reason behind that?

Glad to hear you've broken through the barrier, Trousers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 
Hibernating Druid

You have my axe, Trousers.

Not been on live as much lately, but I need some more BFBC2 time.

I might have ME2 waiting for me at home today though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 
I forgot about this - how vain

Oooh I want to play with the Bezzies. I'm rather liking this, and don't seem to be too terrible either.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm always up for a game or two, unless I am playing the ugly ugly xbox game :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I've neglected this lately, so throw me an invite if I'm playing Just 'Cause.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 13:54 
Paws for thought

Trousers wrote:
Now that everyone is playing Just Cause 2 I've really got into the multiplayer on this - my timing is as impeccable as ever.

It's got the steepest learning curve of any on-line game I can think of. The first few hours seem to be a parade of death with you slowly climbing up in rank and unlocking slightly better peas for your pea shooter and less wonky sights. I understand the draw of the extra goodies that are given out as you rise in rank but fuck me when you're a level one and some fucker picks you off from half way across the map with their assault rifle and 4x scope 3 seconds after you respawn it's not exactly encouraging you to play more.

This is something I fortunately didn't have to put up with, seeing as I got it early. But I know where you're coming from due to CoD4 shenanigans (although I'd imagine that was worse due to the much smaller and less varied maps)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 13:57 
Hibernating Druid

*Blows the Bezzie conch*

If my Mass Effect 2 hasn't turned up today I will be playing this game tonight around 11pm.

*Returns Bezzie conch to loin cloth*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 14:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

*Politely thanks Zardoz, rearranges loincloth*

I shall be around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 17:39 
UltraMod

It wasn't waiting for me on the doormat when I got home, so not tonight!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 18:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:

Play more I have though and all of a sudden every couple of games result in a new bit of kit and I am managing to kill more times than I die. For the first time last night I was the best scorer on a map thanks to about 600 points of squad heals when he all hid behind a railway carriage with our MCOM station in but we were just mobile enough not to get killed by mortar strikes or other explosives.

We did our BC2 stat-padding purely to unlock the same guns as everyone else, not because we were arsed about levelling up for its own sake.

In BF2142 the starting guns were poorer than the unlockable guns, but still competitive. In BC2 you'll just get torn to shreds by the guys with the best guns however good you are.

The M60 with magnum ammo in particular, can lay waste to entire squads if you time it right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 18:44 
Excellent Member

I might be on tonight 10 or 10.30ish.

The Crumplezone My Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 15:40 
Excellent Member

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
Trousers wrote:

We did our BC2 stat-padding purely to unlock the same guns as everyone else, not because we were arsed about levelling up for its own sake.

In BF2142 the starting guns were poorer than the unlockable guns, but still competitive. In BC2 you'll just get torn to shreds by the guys with the best guns however good you are.

The M60 with magnum ammo in particular, can lay waste to entire squads if you time it right.

Its fairly easy to level up and get good guns without wading into a fight. As soon as items like the medi pac, defib and ammo pack are unlocked, the points roll in if you play the game right.
As an ex-BF2142 player, you should know how the game works. MW2 pew pew won't level you up as quickly as good squad play.
'spose its harder for recon class though. Now i've got the power tool for Engineer class, i'm progressing through that a bit better.
what class do you play the most?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 16:42 
UltraMod

GOT!

(Band practice tonight :()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:23 
EvilTrousers

Cheers for invite earlier Perkie but was in a party with a chum who has played the game far too much and was showing me a good few alternate routes to MCOM stations and the like.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trousers wrote:
Cheers for invite earlier Perkie but was in a party with a chum who has played the game far too much and was showing me a good few alternate routes to MCOM stations and the like.

Alternate routes? So not running down the middle of the road out in the open? Does such a thing exist?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Sounds suspiciously like tactics *spit*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 18:50 
EvilTrousers

Just stuff like on the snowy map getting in a tank - smashing your way through the trees on the right to Alpha then shelling the fuck out of the house it's residing in until it collapses - the station was gone within about 30 seconds of the round starting. Easy enough to counter with C4 and mines but people don't seem to have sussed it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 18:52 
Excellent Member

Can't play tonight but any chance of a list of people who have the PeeCee version and how I could go about finding them to play with?

My online name is NervousPete, obv. (Maybe with a space. tch.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 19:12 
Paws for thought

NervousPete wrote:
Can't play tonight but any chance of a list of people who have the PeeCee version and how I could go about finding them to play with?

I think it's a list of one. Perhaps two or three if you're lucky.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 0:17 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

I think it's a list of one. Perhaps two or three if you're lucky.

I have a dream, I have a dream that one day a game will judge a gamer's connectivity by the game they are playing and not by the creed of their console. I HAVE A DREAM.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 
Paws for thought

It's not just the connectivity. I still wouldn't be keen on playing against someone with a mouse. And judging by PC gamers reactions, they wouldn't be happy to use GfWL which could be used.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 
Excellent Member

I had two awesome games of conquest last night. I was in a squad of randoms who really knew what they were doing, had a good mix of classes. I played medic and kept the engineer alive long enough for him to take out 3 tanks (each one laser tagged by me) attacking one of our bases, although he did have to kit steal to re-arm the RPG.
I finished top of both games by between 300-500 points on each game. Not particularly liking the M60 though.
Had a quick go at recon before bedtime, kept forgetting to take a pistol instead of the laser dart gun. Its hard to kill someone with a blinking red light.......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:17 
Hibernating Druid

Hopefully be around this weekend (late on tonight maybe) for some sooper coop.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 13:09 
UltraMod

Parents up to stay this weekend! :'(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 13:12 
Hibernating Druid

You're a fucking dick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 13:13 
UltraMod

This pesky real life thing is really unwelcome and irritating.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 15:47 
Excellent Member

Wahey!

Completed my first round with a K/D in my favour - 21 kills to 14 deaths! This game has suddenly clicked for me! :D

I've even started stabbing people in the neck, got me nine dog tags now. Had a top couple of rounds on this server I forget the name of, only frustrating thing was my side never knew when to push or where. I kept heading up the left flank which was virtually undefended right up to the neighbourhood of the last station, where I could lob grenades in, fire and general take down the defenders - but none of the other troops thought to follow me. Damn it!

Best bit? Taking down an Apache with an RPG - I think I wept.

Worst bit? Being a machine gunner on a tank without a clue. "Look, there's a guy. SPOT. There's another. SPOT. Why not shoot at 'em? Look, there's three near each other. SPOT SPOT SPOT. What's that? You'd rather hang back and randomly shell their base from afar? Weep."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 15:51 
Excellent Member

This game is totally made or broken depending on your squad mates.
I entirely agree with the stabbing though, much more satisfying than on MW2. Is there anyway of seeing the rank of the Dog tags you have taken?
Also, i've unlocked the motion sensor but can never seem to get it equiped??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 16:03 
Excellent Member

Cpt_Droman wrote:
This game is totally made or broken depending on your squad mates.
I entirely agree with the stabbing though, much more satisfying than on MW2. Is there anyway of seeing the rank of the Dog tags you have taken?
Also, i've unlocked the motion sensor but can never seem to get it equiped??

I have trouble equipping things on some games, which makes me think that some servers activate a 'no gadgets' setting. To use it though you simply hurl the footballs about like grenades. They're neat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 23:20 
Paws for thought

Observations:
1) The G3 (which I didn't get early, bah) turns the recon class into a very fun and clean class. Unlike those dirty snipers.
2) Quadruple kills are very satisfying
3) Pete Horse is the best gamertag ever. I hope that's his real name, too.
4) Shit appears to have amazing healing capabilities.
5) As Myp finally has this, I'm moving onto playing something else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 22:49 

I don't think anyone got the G3 early, did they? Anyway, I'm not a fan - it'd be better if it were semi-auto. Also, the M1 Garand for Veterans is utterly awesome. Also also, I only need the Destruction 2.0 kills cheevo to max the game. How the hell do you do this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 23:52 
Paws for thought

There was certainly someone I was speaking to who had the G3 before they'd even reached level 15. It's quite possible they got it confused with M3 or something, though.

Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next