OOO OOO OOO OOO The Olympics
. OO OO OO OO OO
metalangel wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Serious. The general populous of Canary Wharf was also, on average, fucking beautiful. I fell in love with our waitress.

<sighs>
<glances out of the window at Bradford>
<sighs>

Craster looks out the window:

MaliA looks out the window:

Why do I suspect that both of these phitos are pictures of "adult actresses" that Perkies has taken a shine to.
Zardoz wrote:
Why do I suspect that both of these phitos are pictures of "adult actresses" that Perkies has taken a shine to.

I just typed 'Yorkshire woman' into Google to see what I could come up with.
metalangel wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I just typed 'Yorkshire woman' into Google to see what I could come up with.

Braver man than I.
Why am I quoted as saying that?
Curiosity wrote:
Last time you did that, you tried to get her to give you a lap dance.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Admittedly, we were in a strip club

May also have happened last night.
Outside the office a couple of minutes ago, 20 BMW Olympics people in Olympics uniform, carrying huge BMW 'lollipops' walked into the road with no regard for the lights on the pedestrian crossing. 5 of them were very nearly ploughed down by... an Olympics BMW. Was very tempted to shout "GOURANGA!".
Ah, so that's why the Audi billboards outside Old Trafford are empty.

Also seen: "Cadbury, London 2012 official treat provider"
First event of the OlympicsTM and the train service on the Valley lines has absolutely collapsed. I've been at it for five hours and have only now managed to get the sheer number of delay alerts under control. EVERY train is late.
Is the first event not the opening ceremony on Friday?
That's what I thought, but no, the first event was GB vs New Zealand women's football, today.
Craster wrote:
Is the first event not the opening ceremony on Friday?

Considering I've bought tickets for Team GB mens football at Old Trafford tomorrow, it better bloody not be.
Olympics solve traffic congestion after decades of failed attempts

Next week, cancer vaccination discovered during Water Polo preliminaries.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Olympics solve traffic congestion after decades of failed attempts

Next week, cancer vaccination discovered during Water Polo preliminaries.

Yet strangely, the evening standard was all tales of road carnage, miles of tailbacks and stressed drivers :shrug:
Yeah, just think who owns the ES.
Bobbyaro wrote:
Yeah, just think who owns the ES.

And conversely the BBC, I expect the real truth is somewhere in the middle.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18985896

"London 2012 begins in Cardiff"

Sorry, what?!

Also, laughing at the woman in image #8's honest description of herself.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Fucking AMAZING

Mix up

Haha, brilliant. I don't think they could have upset them more if they'd tried.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Fucking AMAZING

Mix up

Oh, sweet jesus.
As curios brother in law points out on twitter, this just makes it funnier. http://gu.com/p/393n6/tw
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
As curios brother in law points out on twitter, this just makes it funnier. http://gu.com/p/393n6/tw

Oh, fucking superb!
I got italics! My post is more valid than any other!
They really are catering for the morons for this Olympics. On Greenwich DLR platform there's now a bright pink "Greenwich Park ->" sign right outside every single door to the train. It's like one platform-long line of signage.
Blackfriars overground has the same, with the signs pointing toward the underground station.
Craster wrote:
They really are catering for the morons for this Olympics. On Greenwich DLR platform there's now a bright pink "Greenwich Park ->" sign right outside every single door to the train. It's like one platform-long line of signage.

only get one pink sign here.
Whixh is rather pointless as the cycle race goes right by the station. Impossible to miss
I found an upside! Orange/T-Mobile seem to have stuck some extra 3G in the vicinity of Old Trafford, because this week it flies where before it was always complete turd.
New SMS alert on my phone :)
http://cheeseford.net/audio/Morris_Coe.mp3

It comes fae this if yies didnae guess.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Fucking AMAZING

Mix up
Fannies. They might have contravened the Offensive Behaviour at Fitba Act 2012 with that :DD
Mrs Grim... said that the opening ceremony was "really good". She's got some photos, I'll put them up later for people to look at.
BikNorton wrote:
I found an upside! Orange/T-Mobile seem to have stuck some extra 3G in the vicinity of Old Trafford, because this week it flies where before it was always complete turd.

Whereas for the past couple of days I have had zero signal on the train.
Stood having a fag with what seems to be the entire Kyrgyzstan squad. They're a bit miserable.
Okay, from what I've seen on Mrs Grim...'s phone:
It starts off with a green "countryside". There are clouds (which rain at one point, apparently), and a horse is walking around and around. The stadium is huge by UK standards, but doubtless the Americans and the Koreans are going to be underwhelmed.
By far the coolest thing, I reckon, is a little paddle attached to each seat that the viewer holds up at certain times. The paddle has nine multi-coloured LEDs in a square, and they all sync to do lightshows around the stadium. Very clever.
Then it gets a bit odd. The nice green countryside is replaced by filthy smoke-spewing chimney stacks. Apparently, there's a bit about Great Ormond Street which is even odder :S
Then dancers come on wearing glowing tubes and do dancing. Then houses appear with video walls that show different things.
Then the sea covers up the crowd.
Then our greatest national treasure starts "singing" Bonkers (a song by legendary US DJ Armand Van Helden), and then it finishes.

In summary: "Most of it was amazing, but there was a lot of 'what the fuck' going on at the same time."
Grim... wrote:
It starts off with a green "countryside". There are clouds (which rain at one point, apparently), and a horse is walking around and around. The stadium is huge by UK standards, but doubtless the Americans and the Koreans are going to be underwhelmed.
By far the coolest thing, I reckon, is a little paddle attached to each seat that the viewer holds up at certain times. The paddle has nine multi-coloured LEDs in a square, and they all sync to do lightshows around the stadium. Very clever.
Then it gets a bit odd. The nice green countryside is replaced by filthy smoke-spewing chimney stacks. Apparently, there's a bit about Great Ormond Street which is even odder :S
Then dancers come on wearing glowing tubes and do dancing. Then houses appear with video walls that show different things.
Then the sea covers up the crowd.
Then our greatest national treasure starts "singing" Bonkers (a song by legendary US DJ Armand Van Helden), and then it finishes.

In summary: "Most of it was amazing, but there was a lot of 'what the fuck' going on at the same time."

The best bit was 80,000 people in the Olympic stadium disappearing and reappearing, followed by the Doctor running the last leg of the torch relay to set the Isolus back into the atmosphere.
Grim... wrote:

The first bit sounds like fucking Fable 3.

The second bit could actually be really amusing, if all the dancing people joined to form a child lying in bed with a blood pack hooked up to its arm, and a bunch of people dressed in red ran between two lines of people in white to show the blood being injected.
OK, just back from Old Trafford. Random thoughts, some of which may or may not apply to the thing as a whole.

The spectator / visitor experience was massively reminiscent of Manchester 2002 - Got the train into Piccadilly, there are volunteers every 20 yards, a helpdesk with maps. Free shuttle buses to OT for those who didn't want the tram. (Not sure if this is standard for Man Utd game - it wouldn't surprise me if they ran pretty much the same plan.) All volunteers helpful and smiley. Lots of Team GB people about, including travelling up from places down South. Lots of foreign visitors.

Got to OT. Quite a heavy police presence - I would say it was equivalent to a high profile United home match. LOCOG clearly took over the programme stalls, putting a fairly puny amount of merchandise in them. They weren't doing massive business. The big stalls had a much better range and doing a decent trade. Sellers helpful and polite. Team GB footy shirt looks good in some views, not so much in others. (To be blunt, if you are skinny it looks great, a beer-bellied football fan... not so much.) Finally found an actual programme seller, got the official Olympic Programme (£10) and the Football Programme (£5). Very decent value, recommended.

Quite a few England shirts around, but massive amounts of Union Jacks, Team GB gear all being worn. Very good atmosphere... not intense or football like, more like a big day out for everyone. So maybe not everyones cup of tea but *shrugs*.

Volunteers handing out clear plastic bags. You have to empty everything into it, wallet, phone, keys, pockets, bags. Tricky, especially if you have just bought merch. Thorough pat down for everybody before getting to the turnstile. They have thrown bodies at it, so not long queues. Oh, and even people in suits, who looked like IOC or LOCOG people, were getting patdowns.

Speaking of which, the police had lanyards with security passes on them. Which, if you think about it, is really odd. Like standard police issue uniforms aren't good enough, they had to go through the LOCOG security system as well. Possibly a result of covering for G4S?

Haven't been in OT since 1987. Bloody hell, great stadium. 77,000 capacity but feels tight and compact. Apparently there were food shortages and stuff - I got a couple of 500ml bottles of Coke. £2.30 each. Announced crowd of 72,000. Would have shaved about 5,000 off that. 90% full sounds about right.

Ended up watching last 20 mins of the UAE-Uruguay game. Was two rows behind the Uruguay fans, which was an experience. Very passionate. Fun to hear the stadium booing Suarez whenever he touched the ball. He was bloody awful as well. When the final whistle went, the Uruguay fans went mental. And then went.

An hour wait for Team GB vs Senegal. There was an announcer, whos first words were anti-United. Something like "the home of the second most successful club in England". Really badly judged start, IMO. He seemed very... local radio, too. DJ Spoony-esque. Anyway, during the wait we had some films on the screen, inspirational stuff about sport and kids, especially in Africa. Which was nice, until you realised it was on a three minute loop, so we had to hear the same Beckham introduction about four times in a row. For some reason, announcements are in French first, then English. (IOC rules?)

Another realisation - especially for those who are sick of the branding of the Games. There are no adverts in the ground. None. There is a big Nike logo painted on the seats of the East Stand. Half of it has been painted over - they are thorough. No ads outside the ground either. Not even adverts on the screen between games, or at half time. All clips focusing on the events or the Games. The clips (one backed by Muse, I think, or possibly the most blatant ripoff of Queen I've ever heard) were pretty well done.

The fake merch sellers were very close to the stadium - closer than a normal match day, I reckon.

Game was alright. Pearce couldn't manage a bowl of rice. Atmosphere was a bit odd - very school sports day. Positive. Happy. Lacking an edge. No idea how the "GB" chants came across, but they were loud. Anyone who starts a Mexican Wave ten minutes into the game should be shot in the face. Bellamy is such a horrible man. Giggs did some nice stuff. Defence was woeful. Senegal were, at times, agricultural. Twenty years of watching/working ice hockey has spoiled me, got sick of diving and faking injury and wanted the odd punch up when the ref failed to give what seemed like two stonewall penalties. Sturridge should be arrested for impersonating a footballer. Seen something about booing Stuart Pearce - didn't hear it. Team GB should have won, really.

When we were leaving, there was a clip on the screen showing a large array of famous people wishing us a safe journey. Nice touch. Again, shuttle bus out, less volunteers, same amount of police and GMPTE for the transport.

Overall, if this is what the spectator experience is going to be like, it is going to be a very good Games for it. It is what I suspected - the stuff around the events is a load of annoying bullshit, but the actual events are run like clockwork and a very good experience.
Quote:
Volunteers handing out clear plastic bags. You have to empty everything into it, wallet, phone, keys, pockets, bags. Tricky, especially if you have just bought merch. Thorough pat down for everybody before getting to the turnstile. They have thrown bodies at it, so not long queues. Oh, and even people in suits, who looked like IOC or LOCOG people, were getting patdowns

Would that happen at a normal football match?
Really nice read, Pliss! Sounds like it would be a nice family day out
asfish wrote:
Quote:
Volunteers handing out clear plastic bags. You have to empty everything into it, wallet, phone, keys, pockets, bags. Tricky, especially if you have just bought merch. Thorough pat down for everybody before getting to the turnstile. They have thrown bodies at it, so not long queues. Oh, and even people in suits, who looked like IOC or LOCOG people, were getting patdowns

Would that happen at a normal football match?

I was briefly frisked before going to a Sheffield derby game, if memory serves, but when I went to see Grimsby it was a lot more low key.
Thanks, Pliss, that was really interesting. I'm pleased you had a good evening out. Can you buy beer in the stadia when the football is on?
the only ad outside normally is an Audi one, which couldn't stay obviously.

The road closure checkpoints are proper amateur hour - a couple of cones 'blocking' the incoming lanes, with lollipop ladies checking.

Or not - people just drive round the cones.
Team GB as a brand makes me feel a bit queasy. Why can't we just be known as Great Britain? Or more accurately, United Kingdom as we have Northern Irish athletes...
The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Team GB as a brand makes me feel a bit queasy. Why can't we just be known as Great Britain? Or more accurately, United Kingdom as we have Northern Irish athletes...

"Team Katie", "Team Peter", "Team Edward", "Team WhateverTheWerewolfFromTwilightWasCalled". It's the new prefix for everything. it's naff and horrible.
I agree!

* joins Team MaliA *
I'm already sick of all the posts on Facebook about the Olympics. Is it over yet?
There's some "All The Bells" artwork going on where Big Ben and loads of other things ring their bells, they were trying to get a load of people just to ring any bell they can find. The time of the ringing 08:12. I can't help but feel they cocked it up and it should have been 20:12. :/
AArgh! I was just dozing on the bus and Boris started talking out of the speakers! Aargh!
Craster wrote:
AArgh! I was just dozing on the bus and Boris started talking out of the speakers! Aargh!

Now that's just a human rights abuse...I'm sure even in North Korea the Brilliant Leader's words of wisdom are not pumped through the public transport system.
Page 19 of 53 [ 2601 posts ]