Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: The iPhone thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 18:34 

Spotlight does seem to be rather pointless on an iPhone though, especially considering it doesn't search through text messages (as far as I can tell) which is surely one of the most logical things it should be searching through.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Most of 3.0's new stuff is for developers, not users, and there is legitimately lots of great things. Hopefully we'll see some new apps next week to use this new stuff.

Does it have MMS?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 

Yes. Well integrated too, next to the normal text entry box for SMSs is a little camera icon. Press that and you can take a photo and it'll put it straight in your message.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fucking finally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:19 

Grim... wrote:
Fucking finally.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR FASCINATION WITH MMS. IT'S FUCKING RUBBISH.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking finally.

Cock Pics.

Speaking of which, I was having a pub talk with a mixed group of lads and girls in a pub once. The Girls, the first thing they took photos of when they got a new mobile was always their own face. Over 50% of the lads admitted it was their cock.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:52 

First thing I take a photo of is generally a car of some sort.

That'd be an interesting personality test.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:54 
UltraMod

Riles wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking finally.

Cock Pics.

Speaking of which, I was having a pub talk with a mixed group of lads and girls in a pub once. The Girls, the first thing they took photos of when they got a new mobile was always their own face. Over 50% of the lads admitted it was their cock.

What half of them didn't tell you is that it was at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 
Hibernating Druid

V.Good

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:36 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking finally.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 
UltraMod

All of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:39 
Excellent Painter

T-mob have posted specs on the iPhone 3G S
600 MHz processor, 256MB ram

site here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I only want MMS support so I don't have to go through the "iPhone can't do MMS? WTF?" rubbish whenever someone threatens to send me an MMS. Of course, now I'll actually be able to receive them, which may or may not be more annoying than the "iPhone can't do MMS? WTF?" rubbish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:41 
UltraMod

I think I've received 3 MMS alerts since I've had my iPhone (14 months).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 

myp wrote:
I think I've received 3 MMS alerts since I've had my iPhone (14 months).

Miss Malabar is supposed to be sending me pictures of what happens when you put marshmallows into a vacuum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:43 
UltraMod

You have to clean it out and change the bag, obv.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 
baron of techno

Someone sent me one once. The network must have realised I didn't have MMS and turned it into a web link for me. After much faffing about typing in passwords and such I got to see it - a clip-art smiley flower or something.
Excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:46 

DBSnappa wrote:
T-mob have posted specs on the iPhone 3G S 600 MHz processor, 256MB ram
Note that's twice as much RAM, which is an extremely welcome upgrade. It also has a faster 3d processor according to... someone. ArsTechnica maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:48 
Chinny chin chin

Do we know if tethering is confirmed for the Iphone update yet and if O2 will allow it? I've been tearing my hair out at home this week!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:49 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Do we know if tethering is confirmed for the Iphone update yet and if O2 will allow it? I've been tearing my hair out at home this week!
Yes and yes. £15/mnth for 3Gb, £30/mnth for 10Gb. Business rates a little cheaper than that if you commit to having it for a full 18 months or so.

More.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 
UltraMod

Even for you, Z, that was really predictable. I gnome you won't try to pull that kind of stunt again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Yes and yes. £15/mnth for 3Gb, £30/mnth for 10Gb. Business rates a little cheaper than that if you commit to having it for a full 18 months or so.

More.

The cunts want more money? :attitude: :attitude: Fucking fuck fucking cunting cunts fucking cunts!

I've paid for fucking data, now they want me to pay again?

Still at least I could buy a bolt on to go on holiday or something which is really the only time I use it. It's fucking pricey considering what it is though. You may as well go for a dongle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:56 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
T-mob have posted specs on the iPhone 3G S 600 MHz processor, 256MB ram
Note that's twice as much RAM, which is an extremely welcome upgrade.

How would more RAM work with the current program RAM cap and compatibility for the App Store across all hardware versions?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:09 

I believe the program RAM cap basically remains unchanged, the extra RAM is more than likely there just to prevent Safari shitting it's pants when it comes across a vaguely complex website.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking finally.

:this:

Well, quite, how dare I want it then.

Can it send / receive pictures by bluetooth too, does anyone know?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 
Hibernating Druid

Just found out my iPod Touch has bluetooth!

Unfortunately it's only available after the next upgrade at the cost of around £10.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
The cunts want more money? :attitude: :attitude: Fucking fuck fucking cunting cunts fucking cunts! I've paid for fucking data, now they want me to pay again?
Well, yes. You've paid for data access from your mobile and your ability to slurp up data on a mobile is very small. I've used 0.75Gb in the entire year I've had my mobile. Plug that into a laptop and I could use that much in a few hours if I put my mind to it. That totally breaks O2's business model, so they are charging people. I had this argument with GovernmentYard on Twitter this week.

People, you need to understand that mobile data is really really pricey for the operators to run, and that if they didn't charge for it, some script kiddy idiot would queue up a fuckload of torrents and then it'd simply stop working. A lot of smaller cells are only served by a single T1 shared between (potentially) hundreds of users. Until we see massive backhaul investment from a cell operator, these charges will be with us to stay.

Malabar Front wrote:
How would more RAM work with the current program RAM cap and compatibility for the App Store across all hardware versions?
It'll be more forgiving of letting the Apple background apps (Safari, iPod) run in the background, and might let the apps use more RAM for when they launch the (very heavy) "take a picture" control. RAM limitations is why so many apps crash when you try and take a photo.

Grim... wrote:
Clearly it's OK to want it. Many people seem to. I just don't understand why, is all.

Quote:
Probably not. Whilst Apple have opened up a new API for Bluetooth access to apps, and have added A2DP, there was no mention of OBEX (the Bluetooth file exchange protocol, primarily for pictures and VCARDs). I don't know it's not there though, only that I haven't seen it mentioned.

Zardoz wrote:
Unfortunately it's only available after the next upgrade at the cost of around £10.
This charge is weird. It's to do with how Apple interpret the Sarbanes-Oxley accounting law, and they seem to be the only tech firm that thinks they have to do this. It's not particularly a profit centre for them apparantly -- after all it's a pretty small amount of money (I think it's $10, not £10).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
It'll be more forgiving of letting the Apple background apps (Safari, iPod) run in the background, and might let the apps use more RAM for when they launch the (very heavy) "take a picture" control. RAM limitations is why so many apps crash when you try and take a photo.

Ah, yes, that'd be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
This charge is weird. It's to do with how Apple interpret the Sarbanes-Oxley accounting law, and they seem to be the only tech firm that thinks they have to do this. It's not particularly a profit centre for them apparantly -- after all it's a pretty small amount of money (I think it's $10, not £10).

I'd be pissed off it I hadn't got it so cheap, but it still takes the piss somewhat.

Also: Portable App store & Itunes store not making them enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:29 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
The cunts want more money? :attitude: :attitude: Fucking fuck fucking cunting cunts fucking cunts! I've paid for fucking data, now they want me to pay again?
Well, yes. You've paid for data access from your mobile and your ability to slurp up data on a mobile is very small. I've used 0.75Gb in the entire year I've had my mobile. Plug that into a laptop and I could use that much in a few hours if I put my mind to it. That totally breaks O2's business model, so they are charging people. I had this argument with GovernmentYard on Twitter this week.

People, you need to understand that mobile data is really really pricey for the operators to run, and that if they didn't charge for it, some script kiddy idiot would queue up a fuckload of torrents and then it'd simply stop working. A lot of smaller cells are only served by a single T1 shared between (potentially) hundreds of users. Until we see massive backhaul investment from a cell operator, these charges will be with us to stay.

Thing is that everyone else gets to tether their phone. I used to do exactly that with my Sony and paid for a small bolt-on to allow me to do this. In fact the same amount I now pay for the Iphone bolt on.

But because I now have an Iphone O2 are double dipping. If I still used the Sony I would happily be using my mobile as a modem.

Go figure.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:33 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Thing is that everyone else gets to tether their phone. I used to do exactly that with my Sony and paid for a small bolt-on to allow me to do this. In fact the same amount I now pay for the Iphone bolt on.
Most of them don't though. GovernmentYard uses his N95 on O2 to connect his PC, but he's breaking the T&Cs by doing so, and I doubt any of the other operators are any different. The only difference is, the iPhone doesn't let you break the T&Cs, unless you jailbreak it. Oh, and anecdotal evidence suggets O2 (at least) can't tell when you break these terms either, as I've never heard of anyone getting shouted at for it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
* The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
o in, or connected to, any other device including modems;

o to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
o in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

The Wi-Fi Bolt On allows you unlimited use of The Cloud’s UK Wireless LAN network (and for iPhone users the use of the BT Openzone Wireless LAN network) for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

* in, or connected to, any other device including modems;

* to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
* in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers or customers of The Cloud.

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Wi-Fi Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 
Where are you?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This charge is weird. It's to do with how Apple interpret the Sarbanes-Oxley accounting law, and they seem to be the only tech firm that thinks they have to do this.

Given Apple's general visibility, the regularity at which they get sued by utter fucking morons (or groups of utter fucking morons), and the fact the industry as a whole likes to treat the company 'as an example' in legal matters, I'm not exactly shocked that Apple's being a bit OTT regarding Sarbanes-Oxley, especially when you consider the issues relating to share options and so forth not that long ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 

Zardoz wrote:
I'd be pissed off it I hadn't got it so cheap, but it still takes the piss somewhat.
Well, that's it. Apple's position is that they don't do this to make money (they'd charge more if they were doing that); they claim they have to do it under a strict reading of Sarbanes-Oxley and the amount is set to cover their admin costs.

If you want to go further down this rabbit hole we're going to have to start talking about obscure US accounting rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Well, that's it. Apple's position is that they don't do this to make money (they'd charge more if they were doing that); they claim they have to do it under a strict reading of Sarbanes-Oxley and the amount is set to cover their admin costs.

If you want to go further down this rabbit hole we're going to have to start talking about obscure US accounting rules.

Please don't. Work life balance and all that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

No. But you could type up a really long explanation and I'll twist it into some sickening story if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 13:02 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Most of them don't though. GovernmentYard uses his N95 on O2 to connect his PC, but he's breaking the T&Cs by doing so, and I doubt any of the other operators are any different. The only difference is, the iPhone doesn't let you break the T&Cs, unless you jailbreak it. Oh, and anecdotal evidence suggets O2 (at least) can't tell when you break these terms either, as I've never heard of anyone getting shouted at for it.

Things might have changed it seems as when I last purchased my bolt on I asked them what was OK and they didn't seem to care.

Perhaps it would be easier to offer realistic limits than promise large download amounts?

I never managed to get dialled in via my PC on anything higher than GPRS so using lots of data was out of the question.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 13:22 
baron of techno

I haven't yet managed to use up the free half gig you get on PAYG. Largely because there isn't even Edge coverage most of the time, which makes it painfully slow and a bit pointless. Fine for email and twitter and the map thing though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 14:04 
Participant in dramatic games

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Grim... wrote:
Clearly it's OK to want it. Many people seem to. I just don't understand why, is all.

well
1) not everybody has an iphone, and people send me pictures i like to see
2) obv when i can and think they can read their email, i send it over email.
3) but when i'm in a foreign country it is often cheaper to send over mms than setting roaming on and email them
4) i often send an mms (using jailbreaked swirly) of my son to my wife when she's out somewhere for work

Quote:
Probably not. Whilst Apple have opened up a new API for Bluetooth access to apps, and have added A2DP, there was no mention of OBEX (the Bluetooth file exchange protocol, primarily for pictures and VCARDs). I don't know it's not there though, only that I haven't seen it mentioned.
[/quote]
there are going to do vcards aren't they, but probably iphone to iphone only.. the protocol gives you access to directories, which almost feels like jailbreaking to apple people not?

a2dp is nice though!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 14:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I can't get excited about MMS support as:

- iPhone MMS works fine, has done since I got the iphone, and you don't need to jailbreak, although prebuying photobundles is a pain as the payment screen is not in an ideal format for iphone
- You've always been able to receive photo messages, albeit through the weblink (incidentally, you can use iphone MMS to manage incoming MMS quite nicely and get around this)
- The cost of sending an MMS is 4 texts, which is going to be quite expensive if you have used your bundle texts for the month, and exhorbitant from abroad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 16:13 
Sleepyhead

I quite like MMS. Very rarely use it, but got last minute tickets to Wembley to see England recently, and wanted to end my brother a photo from our box, to tell him where I was. MMS was useful for this.

As was sending a picture of a snowman in the City the other month when it snowed. My friend was in Greenwich Park building snowmen, and sent pics of it to me, so I sent some back.

So, in summary, MMS > No-MMS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 16:14 
Hibernating Druid

MMS is awesome I love getting pics of Baba Z from Mama Z when they're out and about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 16:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
MMS is awesome I love getting pics of guys' arses from myp when he's out and about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 16:19 
Hibernating Druid

Nah, he's only got a shitty iPhone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 18:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Zardoz wrote:
MMS is awesome I love getting pics of Baba Z from Mama Z when they're out and about.

Before I got my iPhone Mrs Exhibition sent me a daily MMS of her knockers and/or her arse, which was nice. (As well as the odd snap of Exhibition Jnr too.)

As such, I am looking forward to getting MMS on my iPhone, as I have missed it. (She doesn't have an email capable phone, y'see.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 16:09 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I don't use a lot of MMS, but they are handy. Plus I like to get pics from the wife of Kov Junior while I am at work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 16:17 

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
I don't use a lot of MMS, but they are handy. Plus I like to get pics from the wife of Kov Junior while I am at work.
That's a funny pet name for your wife's breasts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 16:33 
Master of dodgy spelling....

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 13:48 
Participant in dramatic games

20 hours to go i think

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 13:56 

Zen Bound is such a lovely game. Hammers your battery, mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:41 

Well, the new firmware is out at some point today. Does anyone know if you can manually force links to open in new tabs in Safari yet, without resorting to slow hacks like Tabulate?

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 117  Next