Bits and Bobs 50
50 shades of bits
MrChris wrote:
Squash is watery juice, though.

No, you plank!
Iirc this all started with somebody drinking squash without diluting it and found it disgusting. You can drink juice without diluting it and it tastes great, so saying that diluting juice is akin to diluting squash is just mental.

Curio is trolling us.
Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
But literally nobody is saying that?

Curiosity, right before that wrote:
What do you think squash is made of?

It’s juice, water and sugar.

Um...

Curiosity wrote:
I said that if you are in a position where you want squash, but have no squash, but do have juice, then diluting the juice is a decent approximation.

If you are in a position where you want squash, but have no squash, but do have juice, then just drink the juice. Adding water to it gives you...watery juice.

Yes, squash is basically water and sugar and juice (and assorted preservatives). You can argue with this if you want, but you’ll be bitterly disappointed when you read the ingredients. That doesn’t mean it’s the same as pouring water in to a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

The basis of most juice and most squash is the exact same orange concentrate FFS.

And as for just drinking straight up juice if you are thirsty, it’s far more rehydrating, far more like the taste of squash, and far healthier to dilute the fruit juice. Slamming down two pints of undiluted orange juice after a run would be severely weird.
Sugar is the most used flavour altering agent in the world. Dismissing it as not important is just weird.

Eat two cakes, one with sugar and one without, and they will very much not taste like 'a reasonable approximation' of each other
Curiosity wrote:
That doesn’t mean it’s the same as pouring water in to a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

B-but it was you that said they were approximate! Not me!

At this point I'm not even 100% sure what Curio's position is. We're either using different definitions of the word 'juice' or he's managed to end up actually arguing with himself using me as a proxy. Either way: I'm fucking out.
Curio is a mental.
Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
That doesn’t mean it’s the same as pouring water in to a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

At this point I'm not even 100% sure what Curio's position is. We're either using different definitions of the word 'juice' or he's managed to end up actually arguing with himself using me as a proxy. Either way: I'm fucking out.

Cordially yours,

Bamba
Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

My position is simple. In the absence of a bottle of orange squash, you can dilute a carton of orange juice and get an approximation of the same drink.

Not exactly the same drink, but something far closer to squash than fresh orange juice, and probably the closest approximation to squash that you can get.

Apparently this is madness, and the two are not even vaguely similar in any way, shape or form.
Curio, this is bonkers even for you.
Lonewolves wrote:

Whatever, trollface.
To think that some of you have responsibilities.
Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Whatever, trollface.

Trump levels of projection here.
The only way I can make any sense of it at all is if curio's mum only lets him make his cordial really, really weak.
markg wrote:
The only way I can make any sense of it at all is if curio's mum only lets him make his cordial really, really weak.

Obligatory:

Cras wrote:
Sugar is the most used flavour altering agent in the world. Dismissing it as not important is just weird.

Eat two cakes, one with sugar and one without, and they will very much not taste like 'a reasonable approximation' of each other

But the diluted orange juice and orange squash will have approximately the same amount of sugar in it.

Wait a second. You don’t think you dilute them to the same degree do you? Obviously the proportions are different.
Oh that makes sense.

To the deranged.
Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

But the diluted orange juice and orange squash will have approximately the same amount of sugar in it

Obviously not, or the squash ingredients would be juice and water, not juice, water, and sugar.
Cras wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

But the diluted orange juice and orange squash will have approximately the same amount of sugar in it

Obviously not, or the squash ingredients would be juice and water, not juice, water, and sugar.

That’s self-evidently not true, as it depends on the volume of water used for dilution.
When they make the squash, they take the juice and add sugar. This is because the amount of sugar naturally in the juice is not sufficient to give it an overall level of sweetness pleasing to the palette. The added sugar is there to counterbalance the sour and bitter flavours inherently present in juice. The ratio of juice to added sugar remains exactly the same no matter how much you dilute it.

For apple you might get away with it, because apple juice is inherently sweet and has no sour/acidic flavours. That is not true of pretty much any other type of juice.
I've found the book that has all the answers

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
IMG_20180912_121026.jpg

EDIT: Spoilered for MASSIVENESS
Cras wrote:
When they make the squash, they take the juice and add sugar. This is because the amount of sugar naturally in the juice is not sufficient to give it an overall level of sweetness pleasing to the palette.

Only if you dilute it too much. Obviously fresh orange juice is a pleasing taste as it is so incredibly popular.

Quote:
The added sugar is there to counterbalance the sour and bitter flavours inherently present in juice. The ratio of juice to added sugar remains exactly the same no matter how much you dilute it.

For apple you might get away with it, because apple juice is inherently sweet and has no sour/acidic flavours. That is not true of pretty much any other type of juice.

The ratio of juice to added sugar, yes, but you don’t taste that, you taste the amount of sugar in the drink.

It won’t taste exactly the same, obviously, as the ratio of the other flavours inherent in the orange (or concentrate) will be different. But that doesn’t stop it being kind of the right sort of thing.
No! You don't change the ratio of sweet and sour flavours in something by adding water! That's not how anything works!

That's like saying people who take sugar in coffee wouldn't need to if they just diluted it more.

Orange juice is lovely, but it is absolutely less sweet than orange squash.
Cras wrote:
No! You don't change the ratio of sweet and sour flavours in something by adding water! That's not how anything works!

That's like saying people who take sugar in coffee wouldn't need to if they just diluted it more.

Orange juice is lovely, but it is absolutely less sweet than orange squash

What are you defining as ‘sweetness’ here? Orange juice has a higher concentration of sugar than orange squash, which appears to be the generic definition.

Diluting something may not alter the ‘balance’ (though it might do, as various non-sugar sweeteners may have different thresholds for detection, but let’s not complicate matters) , but it sure as shit makes it less sweet.
What about fresh Vimto, where does that fit in?

And if I add hot water to hot Vimto, does my Vimto get hotter?
This will be remembered as a particular high point for Beex.
*arm stretched out for tag, but just...can't...reach...the corner*

Orange juice is packed with citric acid. Citric acid is very sour. Sweetness is needed to counteract the sour. The amount of sugar is irrelevant if most of it is needed to counteract the sour flavours that come from the acidic compounds in the juice.

The difference may be marginal in orange squash/orange juice, but it obviously and blatantly isn't marginal for lemon or lime squash and juice and I can't possibly imagine how you're arguing any different.
Curiosity wrote:
This will be remembered as a particular high point for Beex.

I think this may be the most important thing I've ever done
I'm surprised one side hasn't entered it into the most belmingest things said on beex thread.
Cras wrote:
*arm stretched out for tag, but just...can't...reach...the corner*

Orange juice is packed with citric acid. Citric acid is very sour. Sweetness is needed to counteract the sour. The amount of sugar is irrelevant if most of it is needed to counteract the sour flavours that come from the acidic compounds in the juice.

The difference may be marginal in orange squash/orange juice, but it obviously and blatantly isn't marginal for lemon or lime squash and juice and I can't possibly imagine how you're arguing any different.

I can concede that my example works best for orange squash, and that was what I was intending at the time of my initial statement, since it is (I’m guessing) far and away the most popular squash drink.

I am glad you concede that I was right about oranges.

:DD
I am going to now go and have a coffee. Will probably get an Americano. If they don’t have that then a filter coffee is a close enough approximation.

*flees*
I'll certainly concede you were less wrong about oranges than everything else, even though you never mentioned oranges.
Cras wrote:
I'll certainly concede you were less wrong about oranges than everything else, even though you never mentioned oranges.

Apology accepted.
Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

Apology accepted.

Wrongness confirmed.
This is the best thing ever.
Cras wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

Apology accepted.

Wrongness confirmed.

I mean obviously we were talking about lemons because everyone has a couple of litres of lemon juice in the fridge, ready to dilute...

:D
I have lemon juice in the fridge.
I feel stupider after reading all this.
Zardoz wrote:
I feel stupider after reading all this.

That was possible?
Thanks to you, yes.
Right, that's that dealt with. Now, then...

Making a cup of tea (no teapot) - milk first, then water? Or water first, then milk?
Milk last. As any fule no.
GazChap wrote:

Making a cup of tea (no teapot) - milk first, then water? Or water first, then milk?

Just milk. It's cow juice, after all.
Tea in cup (or pot) fresh boiled water in. Squeeze the life of of the bag (let brew). Add milk. Serve with stack of biscuits.
Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I prefer my cow juice diluted TBH.
I don't drink tea. I prefer squash... Or at least, I think I do.

I'm not sure anymore.
Hot orange juice (diluted to taste) then milk. Punch face. Shit pants.
Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

:DD
Zardoz wrote:
Tea in cup (or pot) fresh boiled water in. Squeeze the life of of the bag (let brew). Add milk. Serve with stack of biscuits.

Not taking that bag out? Are you a greasy spoon now?
Don't answer that.
Page 18 of 100 [ 4953 posts ]