Political Banter and Debate Thread
Countdown to a flight-free UK
I'm fairly sure the childcare account can be used to pay any OFSTED registered person, so childminder is fine as they have to be registered.

Not that I care because I'm not allowed it.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I'm fairly sure the childcare account can be used to pay any OFSTED registered person, so childminder is fine as they have to be registered.

that is exactly what I do, so yes it's allowed.
Malc wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

It is currently allowed. From what I have heard, this is changing.
The joy of having an established church is that we get exchanges like this in the House of Commons:

Quote:
Nigel Huddleston:

How are churches being encouraged to use social media to share the message of Christmas, and what is the take-up of social media by churches in constituencies such as mine?

Dame Caroline Spelman :

Some 23,000 services have been added to the website by more than 5,000 parishes. It might interest hon. Members to know that it has filters, so, for example, disabled parishioners can find out how easily they can access a church, and there is a filter for those who wish to know whether mince pies and mulled wine will be served. The social media campaign also includes a video in which Mr Speaker’s very own chaplain makes her important contribution under the hashtag #joytotheworld. I recommend that we all watch that.

Mr Speaker :

That is very good news, because she is an excellent woman, as everybody in the House can testify, and, if I say so myself, a fine appointment by me.​
Fucking hell, it's a wonder anything ever gets decided.
I'd like the site to be like Tripadvisor:

'Mince pies ok; sermon dull. Singing lacked passion but at least the congregation knew some of the hymns. 73%'
Curiosity wrote:
Malc wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

What's changing? I get the vouchers from work, we had my son with a child minder and she gave me code which I put in on the voucher site and I could pay her.

When my son started going to his current nursery it was the same process, with the 15 hours from the government the school showed us how this would work with various options and they deal with claiming those I guess.
Kern wrote:

Quote:
That is very good news, because she is an excellent woman, as everybody in the House can testify, and, if I say so myself, a fine appointment by me.​

I very much enjoy Bercow.
'The Guardian' is reporting that the Lib Dems will oppose the Digital Economy Bill's blocking of naughty stuff. Sadly, there are only eight of them. At least the report says their somewhat more numerous peers will also oppose it when it goes to the Lords.
romanista wrote:

Heh. That's brilliantly done.
asfish wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Malc wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

What's changing? I get the vouchers from work, we had my son with a child minder and she gave me code which I put in on the voucher site and I could pay her.

When my son started going to his current nursery it was the same process, with the 15 hours from the government the school showed us how this would work with various options and they deal with claiming those I guess.

More info on the proposed changes here:

http://www.childcarevouchers.co.uk/Docu ... g_2017.pdf
Latest Scottish opinion poll puts Ruth Davidson miles out in front in the approvals ratings (+25 as compared to Sturgeon's +11... and Corbyn's -35 lulz). In terms of voting intentions, the SNP drop another 4 points, presumably as it dawns on people that their prospectus is utterly flawed, whereas the Tories climb to 25%, having great momentum. Labour fall to a catastrophic 15%... fifteen percent! Can you even imagine that?

I fully predict this trend to continue, with Davidson's Tories plateauing out around the 35-40% mark in a couple or three years, and Labour reduced to sub-10% irrelevance under Corbyn. :)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... 1129_W.pdf

In national (UK-wide) polls, the Tories continue to enjoy 15-points lead over Corbyn's Labour, despite Brexit.
Cavey wrote:
Latest Scottish opinion poll puts Ruth Davidson miles out in front in the approvals ratings (+25 as compared to Sturgeon's +11... and Corbyn's -35 lulz). In terms of voting intentions, the SNP drop another 4 points, presumably as it dawns on people that their prospectus is utterly flawed, whereas the Tories climb to 25%, having great momentum. Labour fall to a catastrophic 15%... fifteen percent! Can you even imagine that?

I fully predict this trend to continue, with Davidson's Tories plateauing out around the 35-40% mark in a couple or three years, and Labour reduced to sub-10% irrelevance under Corbyn. :)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... 1129_W.pdf

In national (UK-wide) polls, the Tories continue to enjoy 15-points lead over Corbyn's Labour, despite Brexit.

This is clearly why we should be investing more in mental health care.
Yeah, 15% is still pretty high I guess. :D :p
Cavey wrote:
Yeah, 15% is still pretty high I guess. :D :p

Nice :)
Cavey wrote:
15-points lead over Corbyn's Labour

The danger of polling and shy Tories and all that, but the Lib Dems are talking up their chances of nicking Richmond and defeating Pretend Independent Candidate Zac 'Casual Racism' Goldsmith.

Conservatives have decided not to stand anyone against him, ditto the Greens (for opposite reasons). Many prominent Labour voices including Shadow Cabinet members have said Labour should not stand, as that would almost guarantee a Tory loss, but Corbyn is refusing to do that (Labour's candidate is polling around 6-7%).

That is Corbyn all over, isn't it? His own principles over any sort of progressive alliance or willingness to work within the framework of electoral politics.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:
15-points lead over Corbyn's Labour

Please don't spoil this moment of great triumph. Ok, so the country is being flushed down the shitter but the Tories are the ones who get to pull the chain. And that's the main thing.
@Doc - true.
But there again, there were plenty (including here IIRC) who said that Corbyn was what the Country/electorate needed, and/or people supposedly wanted left wing politics or whatever, how wrong they were.

Corbyn and his cronies are many things (most of them involving very high eyeball angular velocities :D ), but above all: they are properly shit politicians. Every day they expose themselves as the irrelevant looney fringe group muppets they surely are.

As a Tory I can honestly say the Conservatives should be being savaged now over the fiasco and miscalculated gamble that is Brexit, but actually the more I look at it in context of Labour's ineptitude (and, very sorry to say, the lurch to the Right that is sweeping the world), the more I start to think this *entirely unintended* outcome on their part is actually very good for them medium and long term. (Politically obv., not in any other sense)
@Mark

YOUR SPOILING MY MOMENT OF TRIUMPH.
MrChris wrote:
YOU'RE

Pfft. That was the bloody joke! >:|
Curiosity wrote:
That is Corbyn all over, isn't it? His own principles over any sort of progressive alliance or willingness to work within the framework of electoral politics.

Agreed, but then if he had even the slightest inkling of the concept of political collaboration, a meeting of minds, and progressive alliance - he wouldn't even be still leader of the Party, right?

Getting a bunch of S.E. influxees into the Party and their votes does not constitute a parliamentary party mandate. But hey, like he's ever going to budge, I think not!
Cavey wrote:
MrChris wrote:
YOU'RE

Pfft. That was the bloody joke! >:|

:D

I love you Cavey.
Cavey wrote:
As a Tory I can honestly say the Conservatives should be being savaged now over the fiasco and miscalculated gamble that is Brexit, but actually the more I look at it in context of Labour's ineptitude (and, very sorry to say, the lurch to the Right that is sweeping the world), the more I start to think this *entirely unintended* outcome on their part is actually very good for them medium and long term. (Politically obv., not in any other sense)

I did expect some backlash against the Conservatives over Brexit and subsequent events, like giving Boris a job that doesn't just involve counting pens, but from the last poll I saw, they sadly seem to be doing just fine. Obviously Labour haven't helped matters either. On YouGov's latest survey, they ask who I'd vote for in a General Election tomorrow. To be honest, I'd just want a half-decent party to come forward and say they're not going to trigger Article 50 and they'd probably have my vote.
Aw. I love you too, man! :luv:

Man-love tastic!
devilman wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I did expect some backlash against the Conservatives over Brexit and subsequent events, like giving Boris a job that doesn't just involve counting pens, but from the last poll I saw, they sadly seem to be doing just fine. Obviously Labour haven't helped matters either. On YouGov's latest survey, they ask who I'd vote for in a General Election tomorrow. To be honest, I'd just want a half-decent party to come forward and say they're not going to trigger Article 50 and they'd probably have my vote.
Can you imagine the absolute shitstorm though, even if there was a second referendum? Every single thing that ever went wrong from now on would be blamed on us not leaving the EU until there would inevitably be yet another referendum. There really is no going back. The only hope is to leave and then join at some time in the future when all the silly old fucks who voted for it are in the ground.
markg wrote:
join at some time in the future when all the silly old fucks who voted for it are in the ground.

And pray we keep the current deal (the rebate; the lack of the Euro; the key agencies already based here). Yet I can't see them offering us a special deal if we come crawling back, even after a month of late night drunken crazy ex texting..
devilman wrote:
I did expect some backlash against the Conservatives over Brexit and subsequent events, like giving Boris a job that doesn't just involve counting pens, but from the last poll I saw, they sadly seem to be doing just fine. .

Like her or loath her, Mrs May and her party come across as a safe pair of hands. They resolved their leadership crisis relatively smoothly. Labour were faffing around all summer, and to date the leadership just like the gravitas that make you think 'yeah, they could make tough choices'.
Kern wrote:
markg wrote:
join at some time in the future when all the silly old fucks who voted for it are in the ground.

And pray we keep the current deal (the rebate; the lack of the Euro; the key agencies already based here). Yet I can't see them offering us a special deal if we come crawling back, even after a month of late night drunken crazy ex texting..

Yeah. Imagine if there was another referendum though and people voted to leave again. That would be the end of it. If we leave then we can blame every single thing that ever goes wrong on not being in the EU and maybe get back in at some point. We'll never be on the top table again whatever happens.
Kern wrote:

YouGov suggests there's a very big gap between what Brits want and what the rest of the EU is willing to give us. A gap big enough to drive a bus through it, and written on the side of the bus is "no more money for the NHS, you fools."
The other thing that always annoys me in any discussion of this is that free movement doesn't have to be one-way. Some of us in the UK like being able to live and work across 27 countries with little fuss, or at the very least like having the option even if we currently don't take it up.
Kern wrote:
devilman wrote:
I did expect some backlash against the Conservatives over Brexit and subsequent events, like giving Boris a job that doesn't just involve counting pens, but from the last poll I saw, they sadly seem to be doing just fine. .

Like her or loath her, Mrs May and her party come across as a safe pair of hands. They resolved their leadership crisis relatively smoothly. Labour were faffing around all summer, and to date the leadership just like the gravitas that make you think 'yeah, they could make tough choices'.

I'm at a loss to understand how. She's flip-flopped all over the place and the article 50 handling has been comically shambolic.
Cras wrote:
Kern wrote:
devilman wrote:

I'm at a loss to understand how. She's flip-flopped all over the place and the article 50 handling has been comically shambolic.

Yeah but Corbyn.
Kern wrote:
The other thing that always annoys me in any discussion of this is that free movement doesn't have to be one-way. Some of us in the UK like being able to live and work across 27 countries with little fuss, or at the very least like having the option even if we currently don't take it up.

I'm in the majority on something for once!
How can people agree with one of those questions and disagree with the other without comprehending their own naked self-interest?
Cras wrote:
How can people agree with one of those questions and disagree with the other without comprehending their own naked self-interest?

We had an empire!
Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

We had an empire!

MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN
Trousers wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

We had an empire!

MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN
"Ban the I.R.A." ?

I'd love to know how that one's supposed to work.
GazChap wrote:
"Ban the I.R.A." ?

It's simple - once you ban something it no longer exists. Like drugs.
Lonewolves wrote:
GazChap wrote:
"Ban the I.R.A." ?

It's simple - once you ban something it no longer exists. Like drugs.

And sexting for the under 18s
And access to naughty pictures.
Participating in a six person gangbang at age 16, perfectly legal. But don't you send those sexy texts!
Page 151 of 289 [ 14415 posts ]