Doctor Who
The boy/girl in the Blue Box!
Popbitch:

Quote:
Hijack: Doctor Do You Know Who I Am?
I've been reliably informed that Matt Smith is very nervous, very weird (approaching the mildly autistic) and quite Sloaney. Polite and easy to get on with, but a bit up himself is the general verdict. Allegedly he once curtly told his understudy - who was a long-suffering, penniless actor, several rungs down the agent chain and looking for a break - that he's "not in it for the money" but for "the love of the craft" despite a not inconsiderable pay packet at the time. I wonder whether he still feels the same now he's on GBP3m (the alleged contract for 1 year of Dr Who)?
3M?>??

He's on the Radio 1 breakfast show tomorrow, who fans.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Popbitch:

Quote:
I've been reliably informed that Matt Smith is very nervous, very weird (approaching the mildly autistic) and quite Sloaney.

WIN!
Zardoz wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Popbitch:

Quote:
I've been reliably informed that Matt Smith is very nervous, very weird (approaching the mildly autistic) and quite Sloaney.

WIN!

Just to clarify, that's not Gaywood is it?

I am also now very scared so the best I can manage is 837 Bananas.
Hey everyone, get ready!
New assistant. Lovely. Just lovely.

New Dr is good as well.
THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZING

OH MY FUCKING GOD

YES
Anyone who didn't like that slice of excellence is a hopeless curmudgeon.
In Moffat we trust. And rightly so it seems.

It wasn't perfect, still a bit hyper. Kind of reminds me of Robot. Looks like the rest of the series is going to be good though. Not that this wasn't.

Love Matt Smith, love Karen Gillan. A great partnership there I think.

Shame the earth had to be in peril but at least it was an inconsequential peril rather than Earth being targeted.

But by golly, if that isn't the best looking episode of Doctor Who ever I'll be very surprised.
It never used to be that good. I've not seen a film that good in.... well, I don't know. When he came thorugh the holo of his former selves. Basically... run. :DD

I love it, I really really love it.
Nirejhenge wrote:
It wasn't perfect, still a bit hyper.
I suspect it was a deliberately kinetic opening episode.

But the ties! And the holograms of all ten previous Doctors! And the British Army Dalek and space dogfighters in the episode previews! And so very many very funny lines! And pitch-perfect performances from both Gillan and Smith!

Loved it.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Shame the earth had to be in peril but at least it was an inconsequential peril rather than Earth being targeted.

But the Doctor is totally gay for earth. And trouble follows him. You can't have The Doctor without a bit of peril. The danger of him was what did for his tenth self, that's almost the point. Moff's got it out of the way somewhat already, though. Best post-regen episode ever.
I'll always have a soft spot for Castrovalva though for being a great post Regen ep.
God that was fucking ace. It was really good but then when he
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
rang 'em up and dragged them back for a not so friendly warning I almost shat myself with glee.

There were so many good lines in that I thought Joss Whedon had a hand in it -
the yogurt one being a particular favourite along with the delivery of "Bow ties are cool"

Also was it me or did they manage to turn the music down a fair few notches?
Full version of the new theme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/episo ... s/p00765br

Far better in whole than the chunk they used.
That was pretty damn awesome!

Not sure about the new theme though.
Much better! So glad that the show is back on form after that hack RTD* had turned it into bland formulaic nonsense. There's a producer in there with ideas and a much stronger sense of the era of Who that he enjoyed and not shoehorning his own agenda in at every opportunity.

907 Bananas.

* I'm grateful he got it back but Robert Holmes he ain't. Lets face it, Pip & Jane Baker he ain't either.
I agree with Nirejhenge, and Chinny, and the Doctor (our one).
I thought it was OK. I'm not exactly bubbling over, but then I'm not a Dr Who nerd/fan/follower. I've seen the actor playing the new Doctor giving a few interviews and found him quite irritating and over-confident, but I quite enjoyed the way he played the part - I think there is a lot of the last doctor's mannerisms reflected, but with a new edge, and I think that works.

I thought the whole way he met the girl extremely obvious from the opening scene, though, and I'm sure I've seen/read that idea a billionty times. Time traveller (or someone else) promises to be back in five minutes, lets kid full of hopes down, comes back years later not realising they've been waiting all of their life, etc.

One thing though - the village scene where the duck pond was - is that where the modern adaptations of the Canterbury Tales (and specifically the Miller's Tale, with Billie Piper) was filmed? It looked familiar for some reason.
Hey Meems!

I jumped up and down pointing when I saw where it was. It's Llandaff Cathedral and the square next to it, about forty minutes walk from my house. It's an odd place, really close so as to be a suburb of Cardiff, but like a little village instead. It's a nice place. Possibly 'Daily Mail nice', though. All the village outdoor stuff seemed to be filmed there, not sure where the hospital is but I think it might be Whitchurch, also near Cardiff. Natch.

I for one very much liked it! Wonderful opening third. The plot became a teensy bit shakey with techno-wibble and the threatening monster was interesting if a little ineffectual, but the entire rompy nature of it and the script was pure win. Am I forgiven in thinking that this is already the best companion/Doctor team up since the revamped series came back? (Baker / Sladen for me, overall.)

I really, really liked Matt Smith in it. Whatever murmurs about him being a bit of an arrogant meester in real life (and we only have Pop Bitch to go for there) I care not, he's nailed the Doctor and that's good enough for me. The entire regen-food thing was delivered perfectly, and the screen does seem to love his wonky face. Amy Pond is lots of fun too, its nice to have a baggage-less wonder filled companion who doesn't screech and just seems happy.

Also lots of top jokes. Lord Rixondale felt it merely mildly entertaining, but...
Patrick Moore
... did make him laugh heartily. (Ta for letting me watch it on your spingly-spangly HD TV, btw, Rix.)

Series trailer looked almost too spoilerific in its goodness. I have confidence in this new series though, I feel it's on solid ground. As long as it remembers not to get too pompous and tries to avoid having 'Earth/Planet in peril' EVERY week or so, I'll likes lots.

Also, it's obvious the kids are gonna love him.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

But the Doctor is totally gay for earth. And trouble follows him. You can't have The Doctor without a bit of peril. The danger of him was what did for his tenth self, that's almost the point. Moff's got it out of the way somewhat already, though. Best post-regen episode ever.

Agreed, its just that it always seems to work better when its a small bunch of people, a building, an ideal, a dream, even a city - but this epic 'INVAZIONZ!' or 'O NOES, VAMP GRANNY GOTS MOON MAGNET!' schtick does get old fast. The best Doc Who episodes of the new series never have world threats.

Blink
Girl in the Fireplace
Love and Monsters
Human Nature/Family of Blood
Midnight
The Empty Child
Tooth & Claw
Gridlock

And so on. It's a shame they don't realise that.
I just had to watch it on iPlayer due to me being a right peanarse and booking up snowboarding lessons at the same time as this episode was showing but... oh my! Oh very my! This is the kind of Doctor Who I've been waiting for! Solid gold fucking awesome!
Mimi wrote:
One thing though - the village scene where the duck pond was - is that where the modern adaptations of the Canterbury Tales (and specifically the Miller's Tale, with Billie Piper) was filmed? It looked familiar for some reason.

IIRC it's about a five minute walk from the BBC Wales studios in Llandaff.
Also, any flashback sequence that features Paul McGann makes me cheer and then weep for what might have been.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Also, any flashback sequence that features Paul McGann makes me cheer and then weep for what might have been.

Very much :this:

I don't think we've ever been so in agreement, Chinny!
NervousPete wrote:
The best Doc Who episodes of the new series never have world threats.

Even in old Who, even when there were whole world threats they focussed on a small set of people. The problem with new Who is that they are always wanting to get a wider perspective on things but it never seems to work. You can leave some things to the imagination.

Take Inferno, the best and most effective "end of world" Who has ever done. The episode 6 cliffhanger is just awesome where they open the workshop doors and see a wall of lava rolling towards them. And you do care because you've got to know some of the characters it all seems to matter.
NervousPete wrote:
I jumped up and down pointing when I saw where it was. It's Llandaff Cathedral and the square next to it, about forty minutes walk from my house. It's an odd place, really close so as to be a suburb of Cardiff, but like a little village instead. It's a nice place. Possibly 'Daily Mail nice', though. All the village outdoor stuff seemed to be filmed there, not sure where the hospital is but I think it might be Whitchurch, also near Cardiff. Natch.

Llandaff is a suburb of the Diff though, especially as other places like Llandaff North, Fairwater , Ely and Radyr are even further from the centre... but yes it is out of place and I suppose was the City of Llandaff at one point.

Anyway, my first thoughts were that the hospital was the one in Whitchurch too, but looking up photos it definitely isn't. Other forums suggest that it might be the one used in "Spearhead from Space", and a kind of call back.

Gash
x
Remedial_Gash wrote:

Anyway, my first thoughts were that the hospital was the one in Whitchurch too, but looking up photos it definitely isn't. Other forums suggest that it might be the one used in "Spearhead from Space", and a kind of call back.

Gash
x

It looks very similar, but Godalming is a long way from Cardiff so I'm not sure.
Mimi wrote:
I thought it was OK. I'm not exactly bubbling over, but then I'm not a Dr Who nerd/fan/follower. I've seen the actor playing the new Doctor giving a few interviews and found him quite irritating and over-confident, but I quite enjoyed the way he played the part - I think there is a lot of the last doctor's mannerisms reflected, but with a new edge, and I think that works.

I thought the whole way he met the girl extremely obvious from the opening scene, though, and I'm sure I've seen/read that idea a billionty times. Time traveller (or someone else) promises to be back in five minutes, lets kid full of hopes down, comes back years later not realising they've been waiting all of their life, etc.

How confident do you think you'd sound after answering the same dumb question about yourself for the five hundredth time in a week? He's an actor, not a PR guy. They use tropes because that's how you hook people in... with something 'obvious' so they'll be comfortable with it, like the end of the world. Or we could go back to the Xmas specials level of obtuseness. I've not really come across the imaginary friend idea in Doctor who itself, and that's for me the definitive yardstick of time travel stories, certainly for the last fourty or fifty years. Without the time jumps, how is Moffat supposed to link the little girl (and thus the most important part of the audience) to an adult companion? They'd have had to just bump into one another, like Rose, Donna, Martha etc. In fact, it's I think literally the least obvious companion meeting in Who as far as I can remember.
GovernmentYard wrote:
They'd have had to just bump into one another, like Rose, Donna, Martha etc. In fact, it's I think literally the least obvious companion meeting in Who as far as I can remember.

And to my mind, the most magical as well. I really dug the fairy tale vibe, love the new old lantern on the top of the machine too. It's strange isn't it? It just feels - fresh again, new again.

I think for the End of World stuff to work you need two to three parters, either that or to do something really shocking and left-field like in Turn Right. The planet stakes aren't sufficient if the characterisation isn't deep enough. RTD could do it given enough time, I was gutted when Lynda with Y died in Parting of the Ways and Turn Right was pretty masterful as it shed the run-around caper and crammed as much characterisation as possible into a tight package.

Chinny, I saw Inferno about half a year ago on You Tube. I thought it was one of the most exciting things I'd seen in Doctor Who. Bit shamed that all the evil versions weren't wearing Spock beards though. And yes, the end of the world lava creep seemed entirely convincing. They really sold it, acting wise and production wise!
My overall feeling having watched this is 'Phew'...I really didn't have much hope for Who, even with Moffat in charge but colour me relieved. Matt Smith was a worry before the show just because he's so bloody young but having now seen him in the role I can see myself really warming to him, he has a splendidly interesting face and delivers lines in a re-assuringly 'Who' way, whoever mentioned that it's similar to Baker's debut has it pretty much spot on.

There are still a number of things that erk, the continued 'Earth love' of the Doctor, we still have an unacceptable level of manic-ness and gurning that hopefully will be toned down as everyone settles into the new Moffat era and personally I'd love to see the Doctor develop some spiky edges ala Hartnell & Colin Baker.

Overall though, very good, bravo Messrs Smith and Moffat.
tree-fucking-mendous.

Best Doctor - Companion meeting yet.
Matt Smith is awe-fucking-some in the role.

So very happy.
Morte - I thought he was quite close to Colin Baker (in a good way) at points - Duck Pond, rude food demands and so on. This Doctor is away and out from the bereavement-grieving-redemption cycle nine and ten were on... mind you we can't look at this as Smith settling into the role, he'd done other episodes before filming this first one so the chemistry and delivery may wax and wane a little.

Nevertheless, the scripts are the Moff and the episodes have a tighter runtime so less room for padding - and we know dialogue wise he's a Joss Wheedon type - when pruning he knows just what to leave in.
I just liked how well the plot came together. Following the RTD-era, it's nice to have stories where the solutions make sense and where there are clear plot devices woven throughout the episode that pave the way to it's resolution. As opposed to the typical RTD thing of having everything go increasingly shit shaped until the very last minute, where the Doctor suddenly pulls some hitherto unspoken solution out of his arse, waves his sonic screwdriver about a bit and saves the day.

I have very high hopes for this season following that episode.
When the sonic screwdriver exploded I almost literally cheered - Moffat recognises how much it's been over-used to solve any and every problem, and now with the end of that infernal fucking deus ex machina we'll have some proper stories with proper plot devices and conclusions because right from the off he's forced the issue!

But no, there was the new one at the end. Sigh. Still, I can hope.
The SS when used judiciously is no more a deus ex than the Tardis or the Doc's encyclopaedic mind..."Ah, I'll just use the sonic" or "Ah, I'll just go back in time and..." or "Ah, I know all about this mystery thinger coz I'm 900 and I've been everyfuckingwhere"."

I think The Moff's intent here was to show that the new Doctor can get by just fine without it, which is very welcome, but no reason or need to kill the little bugger off.
I think there's every need to minimise its use given the way it's been so heavily abused recently (likewise the Doctor's knowing everything about everything, and so on). But yes, I'm still hoping it's an indicator of Moffat's intentions.
GovernmentYard wrote:
he'd done other episodes before filming this first one so the chemistry and delivery may wax and wane a little.

Indeed, it was a trick used for Peter Davison. His first story was the third recorded. His second story was the first one he did and it was a rather bland performance as he was finding his character. But these days I suspect the actor will get more guidance than Peter did.
Zio wrote:
I just liked how well the plot came together. Following the RTD-era, it's nice to have stories where the solutions make sense and where there are clear plot devices woven throughout the episode that pave the way to it's resolution. As opposed to the typical RTD thing of having everything go increasingly shit shaped until the very last minute, where the Doctor suddenly pulls some hitherto unspoken solution out of his arse, waves his sonic screwdriver about a bit and saves the day.

This is what I really hated about the RTD stories. Old Who has everything go shit shape at the end of episode 3, at which point the Doctor usually takes control. With RTD he just leaves it to 5 minutes to go and then pulls some levers and everything is OK.
It was lovely indeed and Matt Smith is actually very geeky and not a tosser which is great.

I really want to believe that the hospital was the same one used in Spearhead From Space. I won't check, in case I'm wrong and I probably am.

Amy Pond oh!

Quote:
When the sonic screwdriver exploded I almost literally cheered - Moffat recognises how much it's been over-used to solve any and every problem, and now with the end of that infernal fucking deus ex machina we'll have some proper stories with proper plot devices and conclusions because right from the off he's forced the issue!

But no, there was the new one at the end. Sigh. Still, I can hope.

Yeah, I think this was symbolic more than the idea of actually getting rid of it. It's a cool thing when not a plot device.

Quote:
This is what I really hated about the RTD stories. Old Who has everything go shit shape at the end of episode 3, at which point the Doctor usually takes control. With RTD he just leaves it to 5 minutes to go and then pulls some levers and everything is OK.

Definitely. I think it's harder to avoid that with 45 minute stories than 4 episodes of 25 mins, though. I've noticed the same thing with quite a few episodes of Supernatural as well. Fortunately, Moffat doesn't seem to have this problem.

Quote:
Take Inferno, the best and most effective "end of world" Who has ever done.

:this: Hell yes. Got to be in my top ten, that one and I don't even like Pertwee that much.
Ooh I loved Inferno. It's also got the lovely Liz Shaw being evil in it.
Excellent episode, and I'm full of joy.

But in the preview of the series, why was he firing a gun at the end?

The Doctor is supposed to hate the things.
Oh god, not this again. He's not a fan of them, no, but he's wielded them before... not least of all in the second most recent episode. And whose to say it's a bullety gun? Could be a flare.
Really fun episode. I like Matt Smith, though he's a little close to Tennant at the moment. I reckon he'll make it his own though, given time.

Lots of fun though, and the series looks like it could be 'must see' stuff.

YAY!
For those who haven't seen Inferno:

I hate to admit it, but this was the first Dr Who episode I've ever seen and it was ace!! I think I'm hooked!
I've just realised, I didn't hate the companion on first meeting either. Whereas Rose, Donna and Martha I thought would be annoying from the off and they changed my mind.

Does this mean Amy will become shitter as time goes on?
Mr Russell wrote:
I've just realised, I didn't hate the companion on first meeting either. Whereas Rose, Donna and Martha I thought would be annoying from the off and they changed my mind.

Does this mean Amy will become shitter as time goes on?

Well I can't imagine she'll be wearing an outfit as wonderful as the one she had on in episode one every week and that's surely cause for concern. :(
Hmm?

I should get around to watching this, really.
Page 16 of 87 [ 4310 posts ]