Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE BETEO COOKBOOK
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:18 
Unpossible!

I'd do anything for meat, but I won't do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:36 
Hibernating Druid

So you only took a photo of it raw?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Was that for greater options in post production? :nerd:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 22:45 

Home-cured and home-cooked salt beef!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:0)

How was it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:26 

Laverly.

I overdid the spices a little though. I tend to be heavy handed with that sort of thing, but a nearly two weeks in the brine was long enough to impart a loooot of flavour into the meat. I'll be more gentle next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 
It's all pish

Zardoz wrote:
So you only took a photo of it raw?

I had already received "The Look" for going that far. I decided not to push my luck. Besides, it pretty much looked exactly the same cooked, only browner.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 
Ready for action

What is the best* way to devein a prawn? Is there a chefs secret I'm unaware of? That's twice this week I've had to do a batch, first for jambalaya and tonight for steaks with tasty prawns. Was worth it though. Yum yum.
Also, while I'm here, when is Objection, Salad! coming to our screens? I'm fair looking forward to it, I love seeing Gaywood and Crasters food pics!
*quickest/most efficient

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 

Gilly wrote:
What is the best* way to devein a prawn?
My method is cook, peel, try one, if it's a bit sandy/gritty then I'll devein the rest by running a knife up the dark intestine & wheech it out. Basically unless you care that much about their appearance then don't bother, unless of course they're full of grit :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 22:53 
Esoteric

Help.

Today I decided to treat mummy to one of my roast dinners. This means very well cut perfectly rounded potatoes, roasted carrots, decored roast parsnips and all the trimmings. I went to the butchers and they had these absolutely fucking monstrous duck breasts for £9. However, upon returning home I realised that I had never cooked duck breast before and now I'm scared shitless at ruining £9 worth of bird.

Now the butcher reakons that I should criss cross slice the fat, rub rock salt into it to dry it somewhat then sear the fat semi crisping it and put it in the oven for 25 mins. However, after looking around it seems that people only cook it for 10 mins :shrug:

I *don't* do my duck pink. I wants it well cooked..

Advise me do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 23:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, 25 minutes would be pretty much well done, but check how your mum likes it cooked, because a well done duck breast is pretty much a shoe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 23:43 
Esoteric

Yeah that's what concerned me. Mum likes hers chinese style (brown and well done) too. Duck is nice and fatty, doesn't need to be rare to be tender IMO..

I think I'll sear it in some butter and rosemary from the garden then pour the buttery rosemary over the tatties.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
Duck is nice and fatty, doesn't need to be rare to be tender IMO..

True of every bit except the breast, unfortunately, because the fat isn't 'in' the meat. Still, you know how you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:12 
Esoteric

I'm not even sure what type it is. I wasn't aware there were loads..

Can't wait though. :droool:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:14 
Excellent Member

As I made this again today I wish to share my incredibly easy creamed veg soup recipe. I apologise in advance for my total lack of conventional measurements. This will make two very large bowls.

6 medium sized carrots, one medium sized potato, a leek and a clove of garlic.
Chop roughly, and fry in a large glug of olive oil and a big dollop of butter for 5 mins to make them sweat and bring out the flavour.
1l of stock made with Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder* and add in a couple of drops of maggi concentrated seasoning*
Add herbs, salt, pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for 40 mins.
Blitz with a blender and add a large glug of milk, put back on heat for a bit but don't let it boil.
Serve.

*I cannot stress enough how amazing these two are for all your kitchen needs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Mum likes hers chinese style (brown and well done)

*The sound of Zardoz gnashing his teeth*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:43 
Isn't that lovely?

Do you lot not like the taste of meat then? You have to add all sorts of crap on it to make it taste "nice"?

I did 4 meats over christmas (pork, beef, lamb and turkey) and all of them were fine just on their own.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cheeseburger, Malc-style:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Malc wrote:
Do you lot not like the taste of meat then? You have to add all sorts of crap on it to make it taste "nice"?

I did 4 meats over christmas (pork, beef, lamb and turkey) and all of them were fine just on their own.

Malc

Yes, that's right. The massive plethora of cooking styles over five different continents are predicated on people not liking the taste of the ingredients.

Next week, Malc wonders "Why would you want to do anything different when the missionary position is fine just on its own?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:59 
Hibernating Druid

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:17 

Play nice!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 13:30 
Isn't that lovely?

Craster wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

Yes, that's right. The massive plethora of cooking styles over five different continents are predicated on people not liking the taste of the ingredients.

Next week, Malc wonders "Why would you want to do anything different when the missionary position is fine just on its own?"

That's not the same at all. I like the taste of meat, I don't feel the need to add extra crap to it whilst cooking.

I mean I like the taste of weetabix too, should I go and add some tomato sauce to it just to liven it up?

most of the time the (traditional) reason that people added stuff to their meat was because it was bland meat, perhaps it was rat, or some other rodent, but if you're eating nice meat in the first place, just enjoy the taste of it!

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 13:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Life is full of things we don't need to do. We do them for interest, and variety.

You didn't need to cook that beef joint, but I'm guessing you did, because that's how you prefer it. Did you put gravy on it, serve it with trimmings? Seriously, do you not eat things that involve combining ingredients at all?

You seem to be advocating a shockingly boring approach to life, here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 13:52 
Awesome
Yes

Add to that the fact that you don't always know if you're getting a nice bit of meat until after you've used that butcher/supermarket range a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 14:03 

Malc -- are you one of those people who, presented with a cooked dinner, eats all the peas, then all the carrots, then all the potatoes, then all the meat? And do you never combine elements on your fork? Do you season anything?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 14:06 
Comfortably Dumb

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Malc -- are you one of those people who, presented with a cooked dinner, eats all the peas, then all the carrots, then all the potatoes, then all the meat? And do you never combine elements on your fork?

I'm one of those. I'm not much of a food-lover though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 14:10 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Malc -- are you one of those people who, presented with a cooked dinner, eats all the peas, then all the carrots, then all the potatoes, then all the meat? And do you never combine elements on your fork? Do you season anything?

Malc is exceptionally fussy with food, from what I recall of speaking to him, so I wouldn't bother arguing with him on this ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 14:47 
Eggcellent Member

Dinner last night; Beef Casserole, braised red cabbage, home baked bread and far too much wine.

It was lovely and well worth the four hour wait for the casserole. I was most pleased with the cabbage dish. I had to improvise a recipe as we had no apples or red onions, both of which seemed to be the staple in every recipe I could find. I used cabbage, white onion, sultanas, Muscovado sugar, balsamic vinegar, red wine and a knob of butter and crossed my fingers. Turned out very well indeed. I will certainly be making it again but would will try and remember to buy red onions and apples and see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 15:00 
Isn't that lovely?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

mostly yes, and I don't really season anything.

I don't like spicy food, (BBQ sauce is too hot for me 90% of the time) and I'm very funny when it comes to textures.

However, I can understand that others like things that I don't, but what I don't get is the need to season ALL the time, I have a girlfriend whose parents were from the West Indies, and she loves her spicy foods. In the past at christmas we've had two different meals. I do a traditional turkey and stuff (just no gravy) and she did spicy chicken and rice and peas.

Two years ago it was decided that I would do the traditional christmas meal on christmas day, and she would do her meal on boxing day (her sisters tend to come to us over christmas). They were all moaning that it would be really bland, but they enjoyed it so much (as I cooked them really well!) that they wanted to do the same last year. They were so used to having seasoned meat they'd forgoten just how nice meat can be on its own. I think a lot of people do that these days...

And that's all I'm suggesting really, people should give meat (on it's own) a chance :P

Malc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 15:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I will be the first to agree that a nice piece of meat, cooked simply, can be beautiful on its own.

But you didn't say that. You said that using other ingredients means that you don't like the taste of meat, or that you are trying to mask the taste of rotten meat - which is an idiotic assertion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 16:56 
Esoteric

That duck was fucking amazing. I could have eaten a metric ton of the crispy fat :luv:

Gave it 15 mins in the end. Very very light brown all the way through and the most gorgeous liquid came out when carved.

Oddly when I got them out (ooer) they were fucking huge. So we only needed one.

Up next - duck in ginger sauce with egg fried rice :droool:

Oh and hoorah for goose fat. Fucking wonderful stuff (and not just for swimming the channel either !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 17:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nice one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 18:13 

Goose fat is ace for roast potatoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 18:24 

My last set of goose fat potatoes proved categorically that you can have too much of a good thing. My last batch, by comparison, where entirely roasted in the meat dripping. Even more flavoursome than goose fat.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 18:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Malc wrote:

I mean I like the taste of weetabix too

Stop. Right. There.

You have no place in a food thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 18:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTF? Weetabix are awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 18:28 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Grim... wrote:
WTF? Weetabix are awesome.

Eurgh. No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 18:34 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
My last set of goose fat potatoes proved categorically that you can have too much of a good thing. My last batch, by comparison, where entirely roasted in the meat dripping. Even more flavoursome than goose fat.

See, that's a step too far for me. Miss Malabar likes to baste the potatoes with the meat juices, but they end up tasting a bit too much like the meat itself then. I much prefer them to taste like potatoes, but I'm very particular about how they should feel and taste ( :hat: )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 19:33 
Hibernating Druid

Today I made a Lamb & Veg Achar curry. It has a tangy sour taste through the use of lemon juice (or in my case lime juice) and it went down a fucking treat. No pics sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 0:28 
It's all pish

The Egg wrote:
Dinner last night; Beef Casserole, braised red cabbage, home baked bread and far too much wine.

It was lovely and well worth the four hour wait for the casserole. I was most pleased with the cabbage dish. I had to improvise a recipe as we had no apples or red onions, both of which seemed to be the staple in every recipe I could find. I used cabbage, white onion, sultanas, Muscovado sugar, balsamic vinegar, red wine and a knob of butter and crossed my fingers. Turned out very well indeed. I will certainly be making it again but would will try and remember to buy red onions and apples and see how it turns out.

Funnily enough, my wife made braised red cabbage tonight to go with the pork tenderloin we were having. I must admit to not being a cabbage fan really, but it was ace stuff - sweet and tangy and really tasty.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:53 
Kindly deeds done for free

Anyone read this yet?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0596805888/

It's all about cooking with, like, science and shit. Plus it has graphs.

You can probably pirate a PDF version if you want to see what it's like before you buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Amazon wrote:
If you're a programmer, hacker, or maker who is interested in learning how to cook, this book is for you.

WTF is a maker?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 
Unpossible!

One who makes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

tossrStu wrote:
Anyone read this yet?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0596805888/

It's all about cooking with, like, science and shit. Plus it has graphs.

You can probably pirate a PDF version if you want to see what it's like before you buy it.

Yeah, there's some pretty interesting stuff in there. Doc went a step beyond that this Christmas, with this:

McGee on Food and Cooking

And I've gone for a step further still with this:

Modernist Cuisine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
And I've gone for a step further still with this:

Modernist Cuisine

£300.47!
8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's six books. The Encyclopaedia Brittanica of Food Science.

http://modernistcuisine.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:

That's £50 each. It needs to be sixty books.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:

That's £50 each. It needs to be sixty books.

You wouldn't understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 
Esoteric

I know I should be slapped for posting about something so obsenely basic but I just had to share this one. I think I have found my new misstress. :droool:

Now what with me being mildly autistic I love repetition. So much so that for four years I have had the same sandwich, with the same ingredients, every single night (unless I have been away from home). This consists of -

Turkey slices.
A slice of Red Leicester.
A squirt of light mayo.
A roasted pepper.
On brown bread.

Sadly though the fridge has taken a shit so I had to dig into the cupboards.

Hmm.. I wonder what a PB&J with fluff would taste like? or a fluffernutter with jam/jelly? Only one way to find out !

Ir probably has about a zillion calories in but tbh? it's worth it

:droool: , :droool: and double :droool:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:28 
Hibernating Druid

JohnCoffey wrote:
fluffernutter

Crazy wanker.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:55 
Hibernating Druid

I didn't make this but it deserves a special mention in this thread. It's a mixed grill kebab, tandoori chicken and lamb covered in chili and garlic sauce wrapped in a naan bread. To be honest this is exactly half a kebab Ill be having the rest for supper. Immense value for £5.45 :metul:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 61  Next