The 'NAY!' Thread
Lonewolves wrote:
People still pirate stuff these days? How quaint.

Why? There still isn't a subscription offering that provides all desired content.
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Why? There still isn't a subscription offering that provides all desired content.

Whatever you need to do to justify it, friend!
That's not justification of anything, it's outright thievery - but I'm surprised you'd think the reasons for doing so would have gone away.
Why would you torrent illegally when you can watch streaming sites where it's only the uploader breaking the law?

Also, Ruth's bad liver numbers have halved in five days, so looks like things are going in the right direction. GP also said she'd still be fine for the kidney op in two weeks. Yay!
MrChris wrote:
Why would you torrent illegally when you can watch streaming sites where it's only the uploader breaking the law?

Depends on your use case. "Some people" want to sync the media to their mobile devices for offline viewing, for example.
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Still very true, its also habit for me now, I will download stuff to my NAS that's on Amazon Video :) Which I have a subscription for.

Quote:

They must be looking to clamp down on this? I know loads of people at work who 12 months ago had never heard of Kodi but now they are all on customized fire sticks and are canceling SKY subscriptions as a result.
MrChris wrote:

Well quite, but Myp was commenting on all piracy, not torrenting specifically.

Quote:
Also, Ruth's bad liver numbers have halved in five days, so looks like things are going in the right direction. GP also said she'd still be fine for the kidney op in two weeks. Yay!

Fantastic news, really happy to hear that.
Best thing is it means I can have wine with my GTA now.

Asfish - they're getting g loads of the sites blocked by injunction but new ones keep popping up
MrChris wrote:
Best thing is it means I can have wine with my GTA now.

Asfish - they're getting g loads of the sites blocked by injunction but new ones keep popping up

I tried the streaming stuff on my Kodi a few months ago, bit hit and miss, in the end I rebuilt my hardware and went back to OpenElec and just downloading stuff

Glad to hear your wife is getting better BTW :)
MrChris wrote:

WRONG THREAD :attitude:

Nice one :luv:
Awesome news about Ruth, MrChris :luv:
Great news Mr Chris.....
Life can't give without taking, so HMRC have sent me a £100 fine for not completing a self assessment for the year ending April 2016,despite the fact I de-registered from self assessment in 2015 as the only reason I ever signed up was to repay child benefit. Fucking cunts.
Can't you just tell them that?
MrChris wrote:
Life can't give without taking, so HMRC have sent me a £100 fine for not completing a self assessment for the year ending April 2016,despite the fact I de-registered from self assessment in 2015 as the only reason I ever signed up was to repay child benefit. Fucking cunts.

Call them up and contest it. If you defo de-registered they have no basis to fine you!
MrChris wrote:

This has happened to me repeatedly, as also were back-invoices for class 2 NICs they thought I should pay because I was self-employed once (but should not, in fact, pay because I was no longer self employed.) If you call them up I think they won't even blink, they'll just cancel it immediately.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Oh I bloody will do, yes. Just one more thing to stress about.
MrChris wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Oh I bloody will do, yes. Just one more thing to stress about.

I know it's not easy, but try not to. I'm sure it's just an admin mix up. :luv: x
MrChris wrote:

Oh yeah have fun with this. I had to fill out self-assessments for THREE YEARS after I informed them I was now PAYE
Hope I don't have any fun and games with this, I deregistered last time round. Fucking hate doing tax returns.
I think I'll have to go to SA, as I'm due a nice rebate from pension stuff this (tax) year. Due since last April, though, and that's how motivated I have been to phone and find out.
Bloody brakes on the car just went whilst going down hill. Yanked on the handbrake in time thankfully, so avoided a head on collision. Then drove very slowly over to the garage and dropped the car off with them to sort out on Monday. Ffs
If it was a very long hill you might have just overheated them and there's not really anything to fix.
I did that to the MX5 bombing down Kirkstone Pass. Made it to the bottom and when I went for the brakes there was nothing.
markg wrote:
I did that to the MX5 bombing down Kirkstone Pass. Made it to the bottom and when I went for the brakes there was nothing.

Brown trousers time
markg wrote:
If it was a very long hill you might have just overheated them and there's not really anything to fix.

No, I was applying the brakes full on in order to stop quickly (oncoming car round a corner, narrow lane) and then something went "spang" and then the brakes weren't there any more. I limped up tot he garage using only the handbrake, as the brake pedal now does pretty much nothing.
Christ, that shouldn't happen. The only thing I can think of is that one of the cylinders had a catastrophic failure and you lost fluid pressure.
That happened to me once but luckily I was really close to home and managed to drift slowly onto my drive. Sounds like you were lucky too MrChris!
I've got Morbo back from the vets, but I think he's still having trouble peeing, and if that carries on there's nothing they can do for him :(
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I've got Morbo back from the vets, but I think he's still having trouble peeing, and if that carries on there's nothing they can do for him :(

:'(
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Yep, pretty much. On one hand he's his normal self, purring, eating and fussing, but if he can't go to the toilet properly it's basically fatal. I'm spoiling him rotten at the moment, obviously.
So sorry to hear that. Hope Morbo starts improving.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Yep, pretty much. On one hand he's his normal self, purring, eating and fussing, but if he can't go to the toilet properly it's basically fatal. I'm spoiling him rotten at the moment, obviously.

:(
Sad face, give him all the treats in the world.
krazywookie wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

This is in danger of jumping around lots of threads, but he's not doing too badly today. I don't think everything is working perfectly but he is managing to use his litter box.

He looks ridiculous though.

Attachment:
IMG_0775.JPG
MrChris wrote:
markg wrote:

No, I was applying the brakes full on in order to stop quickly (oncoming car round a corner, narrow lane) and then something went "spang" and then the brakes weren't there any more. I limped up tot he garage using only the handbrake, as the brake pedal now does pretty much nothing.

It's gotta be either master cylinder or flexi hose. when do you find out?
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

This is in danger of jumping around lots of threads, but he's not doing too badly today. I don't think everything is working perfectly but he is managing to use his litter box.

He looks ridiculous though.

Attachment:
IMG_0775.JPG

Great! Handsome chap.
Monday. The hoses were all replaced a few months ago, so will be very hacked off if it's that :)
Been in a right foul mood today for no reason.... spent the afternoon apologizing to folks
KovacsC wrote:
Been in a right foul mood today for no reason.... spent the afternoon apologizing to folks

Should have come round for a cuppa, I'd have put you right.
Will do next time. Thanks
Didn't get a Community grant for my charity work

Need to apply for more, now.
MaliA wrote:
Didn't get a Community grant for my charity work

Need to apply for more, now.

Should've said it was for piano lessons.
devilman wrote:
devilman wrote:
Just been having a chat with my Dad and told me about a friend of the family who died last week, also at 41. :(

I remember seeing the headline as it first appeared, but I never realised this story was about him. He was big into his running apparently so I guess a heart attack is perhaps the most likely cause of death. However, a few years back, his elder brother hung himself, so who knows. I remember how distraught their mum was when that happened, so to lose another must be heartbreaking.

Sadly not a heart attack. He'd been out of work for three months, had four kids to support and was depressed, so he'd hung himself as his brother did. :(

The report on the inquest for this popped up in my news feed. Never knew he'd tried to overdose a couple of years before this. :(
It was the front hoses. 100 quid later and I have brakes again
MrChris wrote:

MacGyver climbed out of the car, opened the bonnet, pulled the power steering hose out, put it into the brakes, climbed back in and stopped safely.

Just sayin'
MrChris wrote:

But that shouldn't matter - cars have had a twin-split braking system for - Christ - sixty years or so now. The idea is that if one component fails you lose two of the brakes but the other two carry on working (normally it's one front brake and the opposite rear one, for obvious reasons).

Unless you were unlucky enough to lose a brake on both sides at once, that's really, really odd.

I guess modern cars could have stopped doing it that way, but that would also be really, really odd.
devilman wrote:
devilman wrote:
devilman wrote:
Just been having a chat with my Dad and told me about a friend of the family who died last week, also at 41. :(

I remember seeing the headline as it first appeared, but I never realised this story was about him. He was big into his running apparently so I guess a heart attack is perhaps the most likely cause of death. However, a few years back, his elder brother hung himself, so who knows. I remember how distraught their mum was when that happened, so to lose another must be heartbreaking.

Sadly not a heart attack. He'd been out of work for three months, had four kids to support and was depressed, so he'd hung himself as his brother did. :(

The report on the inquest for this popped up in my news feed. Never knew he'd tried to overdose a couple of years before this. :(

That sucks. I'm sorry :(
devilman wrote:
devilman wrote:
devilman wrote:

That's really sad. :(
Grim... wrote:
MrChris wrote:

But that shouldn't matter - cars have had a twin-split braking system for - Christ - sixty years or so now. The idea is that if one component fails you lose two of the brakes but the other two carry on working (normally it's one front brake and the opposite rear one, for obvious reasons).

Unless you were unlucky enough to lose a brake on both sides at once, that's really, really odd.

I guess modern cars could have stopped doing it that way, but that would also be really, really odd.

They're diagonally split though so LF to RR and RF to LR so if you have two perished front hoses you could burst one half of the system then push through to the other half of the master which now has to brake the whole car all by itself so that bursts too. It's a theory anyway.
Page 120 of 150 [ 7457 posts ]