Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
The Movie topic
...as there is none
Page 114 of 424 [ 21158 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 424
throughsilver wrote:
but that means I have to see all the other crummy lead-in films. Unimpressed.

Iron Man and Iron Man 2 want a fight with you. And they'll win.
DerekFME wrote:
Green Lantern is DC and this is a Marvel. Green Lantern is in the Justice League though...

Are they still making a new justice league movie?

No idea, but I never really got the Justice League. I mean you have Green Lantern, a guy who can literally create and pretty much do anything just by thinking about it, and Superman. Fucking Superman FFS. What is there that those two could possibly face, that they need Wonder Woman and Batman tagging along to help with, let alone the Flash and fucking Aquaman.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Captain America is supposed to be good too, though I haven't seen it yet. I didn't think The Hulk was too bad either. Thor was over-rated but still perfectly watchable.

All in all, the lead-in films have turned out to be pretty good films in their own right anyway.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

They're the good lead-in films.

Well, sort of. They're all a bit dodgy, post-Nolan.
Trooper wrote:
DerekFME wrote:
Green Lantern is DC and this is a Marvel. Green Lantern is in the Justice League though...

Are they still making a new justice league movie?

No idea, but I never really got the Justice League. I mean you have Green Lantern, a guy who can literally create and pretty much do anything just by thinking about it, and Superman. Fucking Superman FFS. What is there that those two could possibly face, that they need Wonder Woman and Batman tagging along to help with, let alone the Flash and fucking Aquaman.

You should watch the animated series. It's wonderful.
I want the Antman film.
Trooper wrote:
Ha, Penny Arcade did this too:

kalmar wrote:
Oh hey, FILM! Everyone* here will like this.

"Red State", on at the moment. It's by Kevin Smith, I've not seen his other films (Clerks?) but this kept me guessing all the way through, and it contains John Goodman, in a role which was clearly written for him. Revolves around a sort of Waco type scenario but really messes about with it, good fun.

Watched Red State a couple of nights ago...interesting as if I was shown it 'cold', not knowing anything about it, there would have been no way I would have guessed it was a Kevin Smith film. It is a rather nasty little film, I really enjoyed it.
I certainly wouldn't go around saying "return to form" or anything, but yeah, Red State was probably KS's most interesting film in quite a while. It wasn't especially in his trademark style, although there are a few clues in there.

I say totally worth a watch, mind. If you've not seen his other films, Clerks, Dogma & Chasing Amy are all great.
I didn't really like Clerks.

I'm terribly sorry to be so negative and against the zeitgeist, but it didn't grab me at all.
Clerks has aged really badly. It's a nice little film, but the dialogue is properly not what people would say. So there are some nice wisecracks and decent lines, but it's too false to fit the lo-fi, super-realistic and grungy rest of the film. Uncomfortable juxtaposition.

I much prefer Mallrats. Or at least the memory of it from when I was 17, which is when I last watched it.
I very much preferred Mallrats.
MaliA wrote:
I very much preferred Mallrats.

:this:
But I liked Clerks too (as opposed to Clerks 2, which I don't remember much about).
Clerks 2 was terrible. Like watching your drunken uncle trying to breakdance at your wedding.
The only justification for Clerks 2's existence is my love for Rosario Dawson.
throughsilver wrote:
The only justification for Clerks 2's existence is my love for Rosario Dawson.

I've not been a massive fan of her in most things, but she was awesome in Clerks 2.
throughsilver wrote:
I want the Antman film.

It's happening after The Avengers. Edgar Wright is directing or he was the last time I checked.

Captain America is still my movie of the year and tops Iron Man in the current Marvel movies. Thor runs third, followed by The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Hulk.

I can't wait for The Avengers movie.
While we're on the Smith train, I thought Dogma was awesome.
I really liked Clerks 2, as it goes. Not just because of Future Mrs Rosario Kissyfur. I also think Clerks still stands up.

Mallrats is okay, but suffers badly from SHOUTY JASON LEE syndrome.

Dogma is indeed awesome.
TK-421 wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
I want the Antman film.

It's happening after The Avengers. Edgar Wright is directing or he was the last time I checked.

Captain America is still my movie of the year and tops Iron Man in the current Marvel movies. Thor runs third, followed by The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Hulk.

I can't wait for The Captain America movie.

Watched Captain America at the weeked, very good, the best Avenger film so far. If you fast forward past the credits at the end there is a really good trailer for the Avengers movie coming in 2012. It looks really good.
Last week I watched:

Melancholia: V good, beautifully shot (as always with Lars Von Trier) loses it's focus on Kirsten Dunst's character at the end though as if it kind of forgets about her, which is a little odd. Every character (other than Dunst, the kid and John Hurt) are hateful (again, v Von Trier) which makes it pretty cringy, but that's the point.

Drive: Fucking great! The soundtrack/sound design is amazing, I've been listening to the soundtrack all week. Almost John Carpenter in it's cold emotions, pace and style. It's really cool without being "cool", if you know what I mean.

Attack The Block: Not bad, a few funny bits, the kid actors are generally good. Script is a bit stilted though, sounds a bit forced sometimes. The connection between the lead guy and girl is also pretty forced too. Not too bad though.

Green Lantern: Yeah, pretty average, generally nothing much happens. Ryan Reynolds is pretty dull as the lead (you're never gonna get a better on-screen super hero than Christopher Reeve), CGI looks cheap, action pretty unspectacular. Worst of the recent Marvel/DC films I've seen.
pupil wrote:
Last week I watched:

Melancholia: V good, beautifully shot (as always with Lars Von Trier) loses it's focus on Kirsten Dunst's character at the end though as if it kind of forgets about her, which is a little odd. Every character (other than Dunst, the kid and John Hurt) are hateful (again, v Von Trier) which makes it pretty cringy, but that's the point.

I enthused about that when I saw the trailer, it looks amazing. But it does seem a bit, well, melancholy.

Quote:
Drive: Fucking great! The soundtrack/sound design is amazing, I've been listening to the soundtrack all week. Almost John Carpenter in it's cold emotions, pace and style. It's really cool without being "cool", if you know what I mean.

Hope to see that though if it's stll actually on anywhere, thanks for the review :)

Go and watch Red State.
kalmar wrote:
pupil wrote:
Last week I watched:

I enthused about that when I saw the trailer, it does look amazing. But it does seem a bit, well, melancholy.
It is good but still leaves a bitter after taste like Von Trier films always do. Not as good as Dancer in the Dark, though, which is utterly devastating.

kalmar wrote:
Go and watch Red State.
Saw it week before last, pretty good. Best Smith film since Dogma, even though it's a massive departure in style. Mallrats is still his best.
I watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time last night.

Certainly a weird film, but awesome. And Dr. Strangelove's alien Nazi arm at the end cracked me up.
Three Musketeers 2011 (2D) - Pretty, fun, lightweight, good action. Milla Jovovich.

Real Steel - Robots, rocky, cliche ridden, predictable but nice enough. Huge Action.
I'm probably going to see Real Steel on Weds, looks a laff, worth an Orange Weds trip.
I didn't really feel it was much of a laff. It was okay, pleasant. Huge Action is nice and watchable in it.

Plenty of obvious product placement in it from a couple of beverage manufacturers and a technology company that has stopped making tablets.

I enjoyed Musketeers more. But I'm wrong about films all the time, apparently.

Though I did think Drive was brilliant.
pupil wrote:

I'm guessing you mean Drive, not Drive

Because one isn't great. (The other I hadn't heard of)
"A machine/human hybrid prototype formerly working for the Red Chinese, Toby Wong, forces a down-on-his-luck, extroverted songwriter named Malik Brody to drive him to Los Angeles after their first meeting in a bar. He is on the run from hitmen - a hillbilly assassin/bounty hunter named Vic Madison and his inane henchman called "Hedgehog"."

How can that not be the best film ever made?
Because Blind Fury is the best film ever made.
kalmar wrote:

How does it score on the Craster scale?
Stake Land is on box office and is supposed to be the awesomz. No relation to Zombieland. Unfortunately.
I might watch Zombieland again. Why is there no Zombieland 2?
It's due in 2013.
Watched only my second Al Pacino film tonight (the first being The Recruit), Devil's Advocate. I can't say that I've got much in the way of insightful analysis on it.. it was decent enough, and a 1 on the Craster Scale, which was a bonus.

I've got a few cheap DVDs on the way from the Play.com sale.. one of which is First Blood, which I've always liked... and that I've just spotted on my DVD shelf. :facepalm:
kalmar wrote:
"A machine/human hybrid prototype formerly working for the Red Chinese, Toby Wong, forces a down-on-his-luck, extroverted songwriter named Malik Brody to drive him to Los Angeles after their first meeting in a bar. He is on the run from hitmen - a hillbilly assassin/bounty hunter named Vic Madison and his inane henchman called "Hedgehog"."

I had it on DVD.

It was awful.
devilman wrote:
Watched only my second Al Pacino film tonight (the first being The Recruit), Devil's Advocate. I can't say that I've got much in the way of insightful analysis on it.. it was decent enough, and a 1 on the Craster Scale, which was a bonus.
Are you joking?!?! Go and get the first two Godfather films NOW and don't come back until you've watched them!! :belm:
devilman wrote:
Watched only my second Al Pacino film tonight (the first being The Recruit), Devil's Advocate.

They're his two greatest films.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
If your a belming woofter.
Next up: Scent of a Woman!
I've never seen the Godfather films.

Are they any good?

I mean really actually any good, rather than that "yeah they're classics, but I haven't actually watched them since they came out, they probably don't stand up too well" good.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Are they any good?

I mean really actually any good, rather than that "yeah they're classics, but I haven't actually watched them since they came out, they probably don't stand up too well" good.

I haven't, either. I do know who wrote it, now, though.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Are they any good?

I'd like to know this too before I fork out for it.
IIRC, the first one is really, really, really long.
I watched Drive the other day. Altogether quite entertaining. Interesting in that a film called Drive, about a guy who drives cars in tricky situations, turns out to have relatively little driving content. Usually car based films focus on the car action whilst the rest of the film serves as padding - this is the complete opposite. The non-car action is so needlingly (sic) tense that my pulse was racing when the main character was doing nothing other than standing motionless and staring into the distance. The long periods of silence, and the bloody eon it takes the characters to have a simple conversation was a little much at the beginning, but set up the rest of the film nicely. Not a classic but a very stylish B-movie.
Basically, is it better than The Sopranos?

They're all basically the same story, right? Mafia things, that is.
GO AND WATCH THE FIRST TWO GODFATHER FILMS RIGHT NOW YOU BELMING FOOLS!!!!
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yeah, like all Westerns are the same and all WW2 films are the same.
pupil wrote:

Is Marlon Brando as annoying in it as he is in everything else?
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yeah, like all Westerns are the same and all WW2 films are the same.

There are tropes aplenty in each, yes. Mafia stuff just tends to have an even narrower range.
pupil wrote:

I'LL GET THE SACK!!!! ;)
Page 114 of 424 [ 21158 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 424

Active Topics