Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
The Movie topic
...as there is none
Page 113 of 424 [ 21158 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 424
Zombieland is brilliant. Watch this. It has the lass from Easy A in it, and the lad from Social network.And the bloke from Cheers. Very funny.
It is indeed. Definitely one of my favourite films. It helps that Emma Stone is one of my favourite ever people.

Watched Killer Elite tonight. Very good film indeed. Thoroughly entertaining start to finish, and has a fair few "whoa, really?!" moments too (being based on a supposed true story). Great cast, though as usual with a Jason Statham film, it's accent bingo.
+1 re Zombieland.

I've started watching Predators tonight - 25 minutes in, and it's a bit good. Definitely seems like an actual sequel in the feel, entirely unlike the (still ok, but in different ways) AvP films.
I watched Let Me In tonight... It wasn't very good.

Very slow and kind of obvious really.
I watched a cinema screening of The Lion King yesterday, it's still wonderful! <3 Then I came home and watched The Fox & The Hound, which I've not seen in (possibly twenty) years. I've been busy today, but tomorrow I shall continue with my Disney marathon. I plan to watch all the Disney animated Blu-ray releases by the time The Lion King is released on November 7th.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I've started watching Predators tonight - 25 minutes in, and it's a bit good. Definitely seems like an actual sequel in the feel, entirely unlike the (still ok, but in different ways) AvP films.

That'll upset them, they were trying hard to get away from the AvP films.
I thought it was a bit meh.
Grim... wrote:

As I understand it, he was saying that it was like a proper sequel to the original movies, unlike the AvP ones.

I think, anyhow. Regardless, I liked it.
It bugged me that it didn't give you a proper ending, but spent like half an hour at the start explaining what Predators are. Otherwise, I thought it was great.
TK-421 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

As I understand it, he was saying that it was like a proper sequel to the original movies, unlike the AvP ones.

Exactly.

Anyway - something that's always bugged me about the be-mandibled ones - if they're all like "oooh, let's pit our wits against this worthy prey to prove ourselves", why are they always utterly fucking cheating by using stupidly advanced tech? Use sticks instead, you big wusses..
LewieP wrote:
It bugged me that it didn't give you a proper ending,

ZOMG SPOILERS, you bastard.
Watched "Senna" tonight. Very good, had something in my eye at the end though...

Also watched "Thor" this afternoon. Not too bad, funny in places, but a bit of a nothing happens story with some wooden dialog. Who should turn up as the writer? JMS, the Babylon 5 writer! That explains that then :D
Trooper wrote:
Watched "Senna" tonight. Very good, had something in my eye at the end though...

Also watched "Thor" this afternoon. Not too bad, funny in places, but a bit of a nothing happens story with some wooden dialog. Who should turn up as the writer? JMS, the Babylon 5 writer! That explains that then :D

Conversely I was surprised it was by JMS as none of the dialogue made me actively cringe, and the humour was fairly amusing! I actually really liked Thor. It was refreshing to have a film where the baddy didn't want to conquer/destroy the world.
NervousPete wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Conversely I was surprised it was by JMS as none of the dialogue made me actively cringe, and the humour was fairly amusing! I actually really liked Thor. It was refreshing to have a film where the baddy didn't want to conquer/destroy the world.

True, but it really felt like the first third of a film, stretched out. Then it just ran out of ideas, and ended with the traditional punch-up.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination, it just didn't feel like a complete film to me. I think part of the problem was the amount of mythology they had to shoehorn in, which left precious little room for anything else.

Oh and
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
You're telling me you didn't cringe at the "if you even need me, give me a call, we are on the same side" line? From Thor, to a guy he has only met once before, at which point he was trying to get all his guys to beat the crap out of him. On the same side? Thor should have had no idea who the fuck he was! :D
I thought that was going to be a spoiler about Senna.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
He dies.
Last week we watched The Messenger, a low-key character study about two soldiers on "casualty notification duty" (they travel around telling relatives of dead soldiers the bad news). One is an older and more experienced guy who's been doing this for ages (played by Woody Harrelson), the other a recently injured veteran serving out the last months of his duty (Ben Foster) who is initially repulsed by what he sees as a soft posting.

It was very good (thoroughly deserving the two Oscar nominations in 2010 for Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor) but I don't want to say too much about it.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Suffers IMO from Adrien Brody's character turning into Basil Exposition, explaining everything to the viewer even though there's realistically no chance whatsoever that he'd have been able to work half of the shit out.
I've seen trailers for the first film I've actively wanted to see in the cinema for years. I really really want to go and see The Three Musketeers, which is out this Wednesday.

I love any cinematic adaptation of any of Dumas's tales. I love a well choreographed sword fight, especially if it's accompanied by moustaches.
I would be delighted to go and see The Three Musketeers, but it's 3D only. I can understand why people like 3D, but I'd rather they gave me the option, as stupid glasses and headaches really aren't fun.
Craster wrote:
I would be delighted to go and see The Three Musketeers, but it's 3D only. I can understand why people like 3D, but I'd rather they gave me the option, as stupid glasses and headaches really aren't fun.

Hmm.. I thought it said at the end of the TV ads that 2D was available, unless I'm getting it mixed up with another ad I've seen recently.
Every (print) ad I've seen refers to it as 3D only, and certainly none of the cinemas near me have it scheduled in 2D.
No, a billboard I passed the other day said 'also in 3D'. I'd want to see it in normal-vision.
http://www.2d-glasses.com/
DavPaz wrote:
http://www.2d-glasses.com/

Awesome. You'll still have a dark picture, but better than blur-o-vision!
Shut one eye.
Grim... wrote:
Shut one eye.

or...

The trailer for The Three Musketeers looked ok, but it did start a conversation between Ms K and I about how overdone Dumas [EDIT - and other things are] in cinema - how many interpretations of the same things do we need? There are a squillion other books or historical events that could benefit wonderfully from a cinematic adaptation, but no, we keep getting retreads of The Three Musketeers, Robin Hood, Dracula, Jane Fucking Austen, WW2, Shakespeare etc etc or film adaptations of the latest Richard and Judy bestseller.

Where's, for example, a film of the War of the Roses*? There's a wealth of untapped awesomeness out there.

You wouldn't see a film like El Cid being made now, because it's about odd foreigns a long time ago. Well, actually, you probably would, as a remake of the bloody original.

That said, the Count of Monte Cristo was aces.

*NOT the Michael Douglas film.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The trailer for The Three Musketeers looked ok, but it did start a conversation between Ms K and I about how overdone Dumas is in cinema

Wrong!

Quote:
how many interpretatinos of this do we need?

More!

Quote:
There are a squillion other books or historical events that could benefit wonderfully from a cinematic adaptation, but no, we keep getting retreads of The Three Musketeers

Yay!

Quote:
Robin Hood, Dracula, Jane Fucking Austen, WW2, Shakespeare etc etc or film adaptations of the latest Richard and Judy bestseller.

None of these are by Dumas, dumbass ;) Don't go in to law, you don't argue your case very well

Quote:

Yes, it also has my second favourite sword fight (in the cornfield) in it of all time!

:kiss:
I'm guessing by the battling blimps in the trailer that they've taken a couple of liberties with the plotline.
Squirt wrote:
I'm guessing by the battling blimps in the trailer that they've taken a couple of liberties with the plotline.

In their defense, 3D does add twenty pounds...
Trooper wrote:
Squirt wrote:

In their defense, 3D does add twenty pounds...

Excellent work, sir!

:DD
I believe it's "Steampunk".
Mimi wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The trailer for The Three Musketeers looked ok, but it did start a conversation between Ms K and I about how overdone Dumas is in cinema

Wrong!

Quote:
how many interpretatinos of this do we need?

More!

Quote:
There are a squillion other books or historical events that could benefit wonderfully from a cinematic adaptation, but no, we keep getting retreads of The Three Musketeers

Yay!

Heh!

Quote:
Quote:
Robin Hood, Dracula, Jane Fucking Austen, WW2, Shakespeare etc etc or film adaptations of the latest Richard and Judy bestseller.

None of these are by Dumas, dumbass

Well, no :). But my more general point was that Hollywood keeps redoing the same stories and authors or types of adpatations - it's getting a little dull.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it also has my second favourite sword fight (in the cornfield) in it of all time!

:kiss:

Indeed! and Mrs K extra loves it because of Guy Pearce, whom she would marry if I weren't better looking than him.

Also - it's only been done once that I can think of, unlike the Musketeers, which has been done a billion or so times in film.

My favourite Musketeers adaptation (other than Dogtanion natch) is The Musketeer, which I appreciate may put me in a minority. :)
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
My favourite Musketeers adaptation (other than Dogtanion natch) is The Musketeer, which I appreciate may put me in a minority. :)

I'd never heard of it, so I thought I'd see what IMDB thought

Quote:
The thing is that "The Musketeer" is not only the absolutely worst adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas novel's I have ever seen. What is more for me it's also a very strong contender for being called one of the worst movies ever. Actually this rubbish has nothing to do with classic Dumas' "Three Musketeers".

For unknown reason screenwriters changed simply everything and in the result they got silly and laughable story filled with numerous plot holes and anachronisms. Dialogs look like they were written by a modern teenager and somehow characters development was totally forgotten. No one cares about movie's characters, they're uninteresting and pathetic while the whole movie is emotionally flat practically all the time. Poor direction leave room only for pointless action with ridiculously made in Eastern style fight scenes sometimes mixed with silly jokes. Add to all this horrible acting and most likely you'll get a well-deserved position in your all-time worst list. Absolute waste of 40 million dollars as well as your precious time and money. Avoid it as a plague.

Oh.
Exactly, see?

It's still better than the Charlie Sheen one.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

For sure, most people's favourite is "The Erotic Adventures of the Three Musketeers"
11 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. I see Kissy is making an earnest attempt to regain the King Rong Krown.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
11 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. I see Kissy is making an earnest attempt to regain the King Rong Krown.

I'm a trend setter, not a follower, man.
Craster wrote:
I'd never heard of it, so I thought I'd see what IMDB thought

IMDB isn't there to think. It's there to hold data. Dry, factual data.

Anyone looking there for opinions is asking to be misled.
There are many opinions on IMDB. All valid.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
TK-421 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Exactly.

Anyway - something that's always bugged me about the be-mandibled ones - if they're all like "oooh, let's pit our wits against this worthy prey to prove ourselves", why are they always utterly fucking cheating by using stupidly advanced tech? Use sticks instead, you big wusses..

And, AND, they're wearing fishnets. They're Dr FrankenFurters.
Two things.

First, Gran Torino was funnier than I expected. I imagined that it would be a more serious film. But every time Clint growled it cracked me up.

Second, The Avengers trailer.
Oh. My. God.

However, who the fuck is Scarlett Johanson supposed to be?
Sexton Blake?

And god damn. I want to see this, but that means I have to see all the other crummy lead-in films. Unimpressed.
Scarlett is the Black Widow! (in case you genuinely didn't know)

She's a pretty piss poor excuse for the character though.

RDJ will make this film watchable.
Black Widow innit.
DerekFME wrote:
RDJ will make this film watchable.

'Fanks, love'
In other news.

"Green Lantern" in not as bad as people said shocker. It's perfectly watchable, the main thing it suffers from is the main lead being almost completely unlikeable. I'd put it very close behind "Thor" in terms of quality, and it actually manages to do the whole 2 realm story arc a lot better.

"Bitch Slap" the first 75% of the film is just awful, the last 25% is excellent.

"Transformers : Dark Side of the Moon" Rubbish, i've stopped it half way through to type this, i'm not sure i'm even going to carry on, and I have a tolerance for poor action films <see "Green Lantern" review>
Is Green Lantern not involved with the Avengers then?

Or was he the 'other side'?
Green Lantern is DC and this is a Marvel. Green Lantern is in the Justice League though...

Are they still making a new justice league movie?
Aha. The other side.
Page 113 of 424 [ 21158 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 424

Active Topics