Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Cheap" iPhone
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 19:01 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Are there any decent instant messenger programs available? I've tried the one in the app store, but it's crap. Agile Messenger looks ace, but I don't think they've ported it over to 2.x and it's expensive. All I'm missing is being able to pop on MSN, and preferably not through a we app.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 19:17 

romanista wrote:
bluetooth?

anyway, after a few disastrous starting days, iphone battery.life with normal use (not constantly going to wirelessnetworks and 3g and stuff)
and N95 is 2007 isn't it? it's N96 time

currently plaing sensible soccer on snes for iphone, control seems okay, but i'm terrible at it at the moment..

The N96 is actually a worse phone. It's slower, has a lower spec battery, can't do Voip, doesn't have any hardware 3d etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:35 
baron of techno

Apparently, I haven't checked this myself yet 'cos there's no wifi coverage here, but the iPlayer for the iPhone now includes radio listen again! 8) :DD :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:45 

kalmar wrote:
Apparently, I haven't checked this myself yet 'cos there's no wifi coverage here, but the iPlayer for the iPhone now includes radio listen again! 8) :DD :kiss:

It does, aye.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:46 
baron of techno

The iPhone is now perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Not until it comes out on other networks. I want it on Orange :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:52 
Lurker

Should I get a shit phone with a "free" iPod Touch 32GB OR! pay more money for a 16GB iPhone? I'm erring towards the former as I can see few advantages for the latter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:55 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:

Mine's on Orange but I guess you mean the 3G one.. Still, there are rumours that Orange are about to start selling the 3G with contract anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 13:57 

kalmar wrote:
Mine's on Orange but I guess you mean the 3G one.. Still, there are rumours that Orange are about to start selling the 3G with contract anyway.
I think that was debunked. Even if you get the 3G on O2 PAYG, there is no sign yet of a network unlock for it.

Oh except for these things of course. That's the only way to do it at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 14:45 

Grim... wrote:
Not until it comes out on other networks. I want it on 3 :(

FTFM. I just got an N95 8gb (which now on it's 3rd charge is doing a hell of a lot better on battery btw Grim...) because Apple were being exclusivity cocks.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yeah, my wife has an old one on Orange. But no GPS and 3G makes it fail utterly at being a good phone IMO.

Does the 3G solve the nerfed Bluetooth issues?

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
I just got an N95 8gb (which now on it's 3rd charge is doing a hell of a lot better on battery btw Grim...)

Good good. Let's MMS each other!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 14:46 

Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:
I just got an N95 8gb (which now on it's 3rd charge is doing a hell of a lot better on battery btw Grim...)

Good good. Let's MMS each other!

Curse you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 14:48 

Dudley wrote:
(which now on it's 3rd charge is doing a hell of a lot better on battery btw Grim...)
The calibration on LiIon cells settles down over a couple of charge cycles.

Grim... wrote:
Nope, still only does headset/handsfree profiles. This is a weakness of the iPhone that does annoy me a bit; in particular I would like A2DP and OBEX. I hold out hope for a fix one day (it is only software after all), but that seems quite faint.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 14:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

richardgaywood wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Nope, still only does headset/handsfree profiles. This is a weakness of the iPhone that does annoy me a bit; in particular I would like A2DP and OBEX. I hold out hope for a fix one day (it is only software after all), but that seems quite faint.

I just don't understand why they've done it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 15:04 

Grim... wrote:
I just don't understand why they've done it.
It's not what they've done. They haven't done anything; that's the problem - they haven't written it. Running their own custom OS it's not like they would have had a Bluetooth stack from the vendor or anyone ready to drop in, and it may not be compatible with the OS X one because of the totally different processor architecture.

It's like a lot of stuff, for example MMS and copy-and-paste; Apple have been ruthless with the features list, presumably because they were launching on tight deadlines with limited resources, and have focussed on the domestic, i.e. North American, market. MMS and Bluetooth OBEX is much less important there so it didn't go in.

At least it's not a cockup like Mobile Me though. When I look at that I am glad Apple decided to bite off only as much as they could chew with the iPhone OS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 15:26 
Participant in dramatic games

nynfortoo wrote:
Are there any decent instant messenger programs available? I've tried the one in the app store, but it's crap. Agile Messenger looks ace, but I don't think they've ported it over to 2.x and it's expensive. All I'm missing is being able to pop on MSN, and preferably not through a we app.

i used im+, not really great, but free

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 15:02 
Lurker

I got an N95 8GB in the end, as it was £25 per month, 600 mins, 1000 texts, unlimited data. Was tempted by the N96 just for the increased storage but couldn't justify the extra expense. Screw you iPhone losers - I'm going to MMS all day long! :p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 20:53 

Scarysheep3000 wrote:
I got an N95 8GB in the end, as it was £25 per month, 600 mins, 1000 texts, unlimited data. Was tempted by the N96 just for the increased storage but couldn't justify the extra expense. Screw you iPhone losers - I'm going to MMS all day long! :p

The N96 sucks in a lot of ways too having read down the full spec, I'm increasingly thrilled with my N95 8gb now I've tried the rather spiffy Divx player etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 22:46 
Excellent Member

Sorry in advance if its already been discussed on here but does anyone know of any good software, preferably free, which converts avi into a format which can been used on an ipod nano for example?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 23:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Take a look at this page (for iPod (and other things) video conversion - silly new page).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 13:39 
baron of techno

romanista wrote:
Quote:
Does cycorder do sound?

yes it does, see here for an example i made, watch the rather good resolution, but realise the frame rate is rather low, as the iphone cam is being tricked..

Thanks for that, I think it is pretty good.
I don't suppose you've tried uploading one of these to youtube have you? Mine came out very pixellated and the sound had white noise on it. I'm trying converting it to different formats first but maybe someone knows a recipe for good results..?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:27 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Hello.

This is an old thread isn't it?

Well, I have a question.

My daddio wants to get an iPhone 3G. I don't know why as he's technical as a brick, but still...is it as simple as walking in to Carphone and buying a box with an iPhone 3G in it, going home, cracking it, and slapping his current SIM in it?

I've done the dirty with a friend's iPhone before and that was a piece of piss, so I assume the 3G is much the same. I'll be doing the technical "make it work" side of things, but I just wanted to see if it works as I think it does with a 3G before he spends any cash moneys on it.

Advise-me-do!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:35 
baron of techno

Sadly not. The 3G can be jailbroken but not unlocked. Also, it has to be bought with either the subscription or the PAYG option.

A none-3G one from ebay is your best bet. I just got one for my dad coincidentally. The zooming-in on email text so it can be read without glasses is apparently quite the big deal :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:38 

If anyone wants an iPhone IM client, I can thoroughly recommend BeeJiveIM from the App Store. It used to be pretty expensive but it's on sale this weekend for £5.99. It's a very nice app. I can also recommend the new premium Twitter app, Tweetie, for £1.79; as with BeeJive, the interface and feature list are streets ahead of the free apps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 13:36 

kalmar wrote:
I don't suppose you've tried uploading one of these to youtube have you? Mine came out very pixellated and the sound had white noise on it. I'm trying converting it to different formats first but maybe someone knows a recipe for good results..?

see you responded, did upload some to youtyube, but sometimes the result was horrible, vimeo was better, processing it through imovie and then exporting it too youtube size works better,

see my sodertalje vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHNJNGPmLA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 14:38 
baron of techno

romanista wrote:
kalmar wrote:

see you responded, did upload some to youtyube, but sometimes the result was horrible, vimeo was better, processing it through imovie and then exporting it too youtube size works better,

Yeah, I forgot to say, I managed to upload to YT - just run it through VisualHub on the mp4 setting and the result was reasonable.

Quote:

Var kan jag hyra av par skidor! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:59 

you can rent ski's at lots of places!

(and although i have an iphone rain detection radar programme, i haven't got a ski programme yet..)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 13:43 

Nosing around in HMV before, I finally found some in-ear canal earphones for the iPhone, at the fairly reasonable price of £14.99. I've been looking for ages to get rid of the shoddy stock ones. On first use, they're not bad, and certainly a step up - you can actually hear the bass. So if anyone is after some, I'll post some pics and have a better test of them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 13:45 
UltraMod

Do they have a mic and click remote control like the stock ones? I've been using my Sennheiser's, but it'd be useful to have some decent earphones with those functions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 13:56 

myoptinsel wrote:
Do they have a mic and click remote control like the stock ones? I've been using my Sennheiser's, but it'd be useful to have some decent earphones with those functions.

They do, aye. That was my basic criterion for new headphones. Bugger having to fumble around getting my phone out when I can click a button.

The button/mic isn't as elegantly made as the Apple one, but it's functional. I'll test the mic shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 14:34 

Oooh, I shall be mightily interested in this too, since I've been using bog-standard Sennheiser earphones with my iPhone too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 14:42 
making out to faces of death

The N95 inline remote control and microphone is seperate and you can plug any earphones in you like.

Um, as you were. (I am looking at iPhone as my contract is up soon).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:30 

The mic seems fine, but as these earphones sit in your canals, they block out a fair bit of ambient sound, so it feels weird talking on the hands-free unless you take out the left earpiece. That's no big deal for me.

Music feels louder, too, since presumably less escapes into your surroundings. This is good for battery life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:34 

nynforyule wrote:
Music feels louder, too, since presumably less escapes into your surroundings. This is good for battery life.
And your hearing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:41 
UltraMod

nynforyule wrote:
The mic seems fine, but as these earphones sit in your canals, they block out a fair bit of ambient sound, so it feels weird talking on the hands-free unless you take out the left earpiece. That's no big deal for me.

Excellent news. What brand are they? I'll have to have a look online.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:59 

myoptinsel wrote:
nynforyule wrote:

Excellent news. What brand are they? I'll have to have a look online.

The brand is 'Exspect'. No, me neither.

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
nynforyule wrote:
And your hearing.

Probably!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:03 
UltraMod

I've found their website through a cunning method of deduction. However, none of the earphones on there match your description. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:13 

nynforyule wrote:
Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
nynforyule wrote:
And your hearing.
Probably!
No, quite definitely. So-called "canalphones" (i.e. any headphone where the driver is on a small tip inserted into your ear canal, with a seal around it to cut out on background noise) has an implicit noise cancellation effect, which means the same perceived volume is achieved at lower power, which is good for your ears.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:21 

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
No, quite definitely. So-called "canalphones" (i.e. any headphone where the driver is on a small tip inserted into your ear canal, with a seal around it to cut out on background noise) has an implicit noise cancellation effect, which means the same perceived volume is achieved at lower power, which is good for your ears.

Probably!*

myoptinsel wrote:
I've found their website through a cunning method of deduction. However, none of the earphones on there match your description. :(

Ah, cunning. I can't see them on there either. But they must exist, else I'm having the most mundane dream.

*yes, definitely. Thank You for the Science, Gaywood!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:22 
UltraMod

Why are you both so bad at using the quote tag?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:33 

myoptinsel wrote:

I quoted his atrocity, so I was spiked from the off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:48 

myoptinsel wrote:
Retardation.

Post subject: Re: The iPhone thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:45 

iPhone OS 3.0 announcement is at 5pm today. Early rumours from insider-journalists (@kevinrose and @gruber) are that MMS and cut/copy/paste are in, at least, and possibly also official tethering support.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 
UltraMod

Yeah, Riles beat you to the punch in the other phone thread, I think.

-edit- except tethering, I hadn't heard that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:48 
Unpossible!

I'm sure tethering is an issue for them due to the 'unlimited' data offered by the networks.

How would an 8GB torrent download go down with O2?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:57 

DavPaz wrote:
I'm sure tethering is an issue for them due to the 'unlimited' data offered by the networks. How would an 8GB torrent download go down with O2?
I would expect tethering to come only in certain territories and to have a tight fair use cap (as indeed current 3G data contracts do).

It's only a rumour, too, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 16:00 
Awesome
Yes

Pls to explain tethering in very simple terms for someone who hasn't heard the term before?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 16:01 
UltraMod

Using your mobile's internet connection with something else (eg a laptop).

Like having a 3G card in your computer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 16:02 
Isn't that lovely?

Allowing laptops to use the internet by using the phone as a "modem"

Malc

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 117  Next