Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
The Movie topic
...as there is none
Page 107 of 424 [ 21170 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 424
Captain America has Nazis with frickin' laser beams so therefore it is very good.
Oh. Good. Lord.

The Dark Knight Rises + Anne Hathaway = Catwoman

I'll let you think about that for a second.
I thought that The Dark Knight wasn't finished when Ledger died. Wasn't the story that the scenes were shot but some of the voice editing needed redone and they had to get someone else to do it?
There were different stories circulating, ranging from "it's not finished and it'll have to be scrapped" to "all shooting was complete ages ago so Ledger's death doesn't change anything". Presumably the truth lies closer to the second version than the first, given how the film turned out. It certainly doesn't have the jarring occasional problems Gladiator does in some of Oliver Reed's scenes.
Did no one else find The Dark Knight to be overly long and overblown, and ultimately boring?

I loved Batman Begins but The Dark Knight overstayed its welcome by the best part of an hour, plus there was too much action, it's impossible to maintain that level of activity and not just induce viewer fatigue IMO.

Plus Ledger was good in it, but let's not get carried away. I preferred Nicholson's take on The Joker in the original Tim Burton Batman, which was the better film.
Decca wrote:
Oh. Good. Lord.

The Dark Knight Rises + Anne Hathaway = Catwoman

I'll let you think about that for a second.

I might need a few seconds for that one.

Excuse me...
Gilly wrote:
I thought that The Dark Knight wasn't finished when Ledger died. Wasn't the story that the scenes were shot but some of the voice editing needed redone and they had to get someone else to do it?

Ni, that's all urban myth. He died during the final edit. The thing that hurt the dark knight the most was he couldn't do any promo for it and the vast majority of the promo pics had to be taken from movie stills.

The only problem I had was with Rachel, she just wasn't likeable as a character enough and the actress wasn't drop dead gorgeous to compensate, so I found myself thinking "what's all the fuss over this rather dull woman". This was down to actress fail more than anything as there was no spark between her and the male leads
Decca wrote:
Gilly wrote:

Ni, that's all urban myth. He died during the final edit. The thing that hurt the dark knight the most was he couldn't do any promo for it and the vast majority of the promo pics had to be taken from movie stills.

I'm not sure how badly the film was hurt, promotionally. Before Avatar came out, TDK was the second highest-grossing film in history. And that success was, in no small part, related to Heath's death. While it goes without saying that it's very sad he died, his untimely demise benefited the film - financially.

Also: Maggie G is lovely. I don't think some bimbo being in her role would have improved matters.
throughsilver wrote:
Also: Maggie G is lovely.

Agreed. I caught a bit of Secretary on telly the other day. Rrrrr.
throughsilver wrote:
Decca wrote:
Gilly wrote:

I'm not sure how badly the film was hurt, promotionally. Before Avatar came out, TDK was the second highest-grossing film in history. And that success was, in no small part, related to Heath's death. While it goes without saying that it's very sad he died, his untimely demise benefited the film - financially.

Also: Maggie G is lovely. I don't think some bimbo being in her role would have improved matters.

I don't think she's pretty at all, which makes all the scenes where people mention her beauty kinda akward. Lady tom cruise in the first movie was much better.
RuySan wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Decca wrote:
Gilly wrote:

I don't think she's pretty at all, which makes all the scenes where people mention her beauty kinda akward.

I think whether one fancies her or not, it is only acting. I don't think Jason Statham is that hard, but if everyone in the Expendables bounces off his fists, I'll suspend disbelief.

Quote:
Lady tom cruise in the first movie was much better.

I fancy Gary Oldman more than her. And I hate Gary Oldman.
throughsilver wrote:

8)

The guy is fucking awesome, although admittedly he does do a few paycheque movies and dials it in.

Ever seen Nil By Mouth? The man can write and direct as well as he can act, and that's saying something.
Super 8 was a bit shite.

It's basically all those films from the 80s about kids having adventures mashed up with sci fi schlock and JJ Abhram's trademark CGI flair, except most of the kids are little shits.

Problems:
Dialogue - There are long stretches of the film where the child actors just shout "Holy Shit! Shit Shit Shit!" when running away from something, or just shout about what is happening. It's almost like it's unscripted, and they just left child actors who haven't learnt to improvise well yet to just improvise whole sections of the film. It doesn't seem natural at all.

Action - Whenever the kids are running away from stuff, it's so bloody obvious that they are no in harms way. It's almost as if they were just running where they were told to run, and then dangerous stuff was CGI'd in around them.

Predictable - It's really really predictable. I'll put some of the stuff that was obvious from right on at the start here in spoilers:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The kid with the fireworks: As soon as he mentioned that he like fireworks, and everyone else got annoyed at him for using fireworks, they were obviously going to be used to save the day.

It was obvious that the two dad's were going to make up at some point because of their kids being friends.

I've already seen ET, so I pretty much knew how it was going to end.

Ending - stupid and doesn't really make any sense.

I'd not bother.
throughsilver wrote:
Decca wrote:
Gilly wrote:

I didn't realise they'd changed actors.
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Did no one else find The Dark Knight to be overly long and overblown, and ultimately boring?

I loved Batman Begins but The Dark Knight overstayed its welcome by the best part of an hour, plus there was too much action, it's impossible to maintain that level of activity and not just induce viewer fatigue IMO.

Plus Ledger was good in it, but let's not get carried away. I preferred Nicholson's take on The Joker in the original Tim Burton Batman, which was the better film.

I was just talking with a friend abgout this on Friday - Heath Stupidname Ledger was terrific, but I still enjoy Nicholson's joker a great deal. "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?" still makes me laugh. They both took completely different interpretations and made them work. Nicholson emphasised the 'joker' thing, and ledger emphasised the 'psychopathic genius' thing.
And both Nicholson's Joker and Ledger's work great within the film they are in -- but would be a disaster in the other's film.
I like both Jokers, but Ledgers is my favourite.

Which is pretty surprising, in the run up to Dark Knight, I'd said to myself that it would probably be quite good but "no way would it outdo Jack Nicholson's Joker".

This photo makes me laugh though:
You know that pic is a fake, right?
Awww.
About to watch 'Super'. I have some hopes. Will report back in a couple of hours.
Super ain't bad. Misses the mark from time, and it's pretty fucking weird, but I laughed quite a few times.

Kick-Ass ate it's lunch though.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You know that pic is a fake, right?

This one isn't

sinister agent wrote:

I was just talking with a friend abgout this on Friday - Heath Stupidname Ledger was terrific, but I still enjoy Nicholson's joker a great deal. "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?" still makes me laugh. They both took completely different interpretations and made them work. Nicholson emphasised the 'joker' thing, and ledger emphasised the 'psychopathic genius' thing.

I agree wholeheartedly about TDK being overlong and boring. It should have ended with the initial capture of the joker. After that it just failed to make any kind of sense to me, film wise. In many ways I can see it as the precursor to Inception (again somewhat overlong and boring) thematically because of the whole disconnected set piece nature. The way TDK uses things like the sonar scene and the boat scene just seemed so disconnected with the film as a whole. Also it was horribly cold and emotionless I thought.

However it's pretty hard to say that Heath's Joker performance was anything other than brilliant. However it has unfortunately inspired far too many emo kids...

Oh and the Burton Batman isn't really a very good film even though I saw it several times at the cinema when it came out. It seems far too silly these days. Maybe another watch will change my opinion back to being good but I doubt it.
throughsilver wrote:

8)

The guy is fucking awesome, although admittedly he does do a few paycheque movies and dials it in.

Ever seen Nil By Mouth? The man can write and direct as well as he can act, and that's saying something.

I want to see Nil By Mouth. Hated him in Batman films, True Romance, Leon... he's only really decent - acting wise - at chewing up the scenery in Friends, Lost in Space and Red Riding Hood. As soon as he tries being 'good' at acting, he appalls.
MaliA wrote:
About to watch 'Super'. I have some hopes. Will report back in a couple of hours.

I thought it was awesome, but can't properly explain why.
Oh, a Gary Oldman film what I quite like is Romeo Is Bleeding. He's pretty damn good in that.
LewieP wrote:
Super ain't bad. Misses the mark from time, and it's pretty fucking weird, but I laughed quite a few times.

I think that it's quite different to Kick Ass, in a different ball park. Maybe the grown up version. The two leads were awesome, Bacon was awesome and Jesus by fuck do I wish to marry Ms Page.
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

I think that it's quite different to Kick Ass, in a different ball park. Maybe the grown up version. The two leads were awesome, Bacon was awesome and Jesus by fuck do I wish to marry Ms Page.

Yeah, they are quite different, but I reckon there is enough overlap that the comparison has to be made. I do think Kick-ass is in another league (and is one of my favourite films from the last few years), but Super is quite fun too, and it's good that we get two silly superhero films.

Super spoilers:
Ellen Page's character's death was pretty fucked up wasn't it? You don't see deaths like that in many films.
LewieP wrote:
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Yeah, they are quite different, but I reckon there is enough overlap that the comparison has to be made. I do think Kick-ass is in another league (and is one of my favourite films from the last few years), but Super is quite fun too, and it's good that we get two silly superhero films.

Super spoilers:
Ellen Page's character's death was pretty fucked up wasn't it? You don't see deaths like that in many films.

I'd rate it over Kick Ass, but, yeah, I agree, both wirth having in a collection.
Also: Ellen Page!

Yes, very much so. Batman Begins is far better.

Quote:
I preferred Nicholson's take on The Joker in the original Tim Burton Batman,

Computer says no.

I think Jack's been rubbish since the early '80s. All he's done since is pretty much play himself. in every.fucking.movie he does.

His Joker is really, really bad. Cesar Romero could have played that role exactly as he did in the TV show back in the '60s and it wouldn't have made slightest difference to the movie whatsoever. I suppose that makes sense when Nicholson's source material/inspiration was Romero's Joker.

The best thing about Burton's movie was the Batmobile.
I think the humour in the dark knight may have gone over some people's heads, I found I picked up on more of it on the second viewing*, imo the movie was bloody funny. Also it gets more awesome when you find out how little CGI they used**.

* Setting a fire truck on fire to block the road I missed the first time, pretty much every line with Dent/Rachel takes on a whole new meaning the second viewing as well.
** The bit where the semi flips, they did it by taking one semi, putting it on a major street and fucking flipping it for bloody real, how is that not awesome?
LewieP wrote:
Super 8 was a bit sweet.

It's basically all those films from the 80s about kids having adventures mashed up with sci fi schlock and JJ Abhram's trademark CGI flair, except most of the kids are little sweet.

Problems:
Dialogue - There are long stretches of the film where the child actors just shout "Holy sweet! sweet sweet sweet!" when running away from something, or just shout about what is happening. It's almost like it's unscripted, and they just left child actors who haven't learnt to improvise well yet to just improvise whole sections of the film. It doesn't seem natural at all.

Action - Whenever the kids are running away from stuff, it's so bloody obvious that they are no in harms way. It's almost as if they were just running where they were told to run, and then dangerous stuff was CGI'd in around them.

Predictable - It's really really predictable. I'll put some of the stuff that was obvious from right on at the start here in spoilers:

The kid with the fireworks: As soon as he mentioned that he like fireworks, and everyone else got annoyed at him for using fireworks, they were obviously going to be used to save the day.

It was obvious that the two dad's were going to make up at some point because of their kids being friends.

I've already seen ET, so I pretty much knew how it was going to end.

Ending - stupid and doesn't really make any sense.

I'd not bother.

You suck monkey balls
If it was made in the 80s it'd be a classic and thats what I class it as now.
A return to the 80s in a good way, who cares if it was predictable, it was like a trip back to when movies were magical for me.
I have DOA: Dead or Alive.

I'll try and watch it later. I don't have high hopes, except for Holly Valance, Devon Aoki and some other lass.
Source Code was alright. Vera Farmiga remains lovely.
MaliA wrote:
I have DOA: Dead or Alive.

I'll try and watch it later. I don't have high hopes, except for Holly Valance, Devon Aoki and some other lass.

Kevin Nash is the best thing in it, worryingly.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a good blast, some of it quite creepy indeed and better than Burtons effort by a mile.

Worth a watch I reckon.
Malabelm wrote:
Source Code was alright. Vera Farmiga remains lovely.

:this:
I just watched Ned Kelly.

To be honest, all of my initial thoughts seem to be about how sexy Heath Ledger was. Even with the beard.

Film was probably alright.
If you haven't seen candy then you need to. I found myself unable to concentrate on the seriousness of the subject after the sex scene at the start.

I know this is a re-post but fuck it I set this up ("I bet you can't get the lolly sideways in your mouth") with this thread in mind.

The Joker by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr
I have just seen Super 8. Not great. *Sigh*

Thoughts sometime later.
I was also distinctly unimpressed by 'Super 8' - a very uninspiring film that will have been forgotten by most people within a few months. It's certainly no classic.
y'all must be dead inside. it was awesome
LaceSensor wrote:
y'all must be dead inside. it was awesome

:this: :this: :this:

Yup. It was better the second time I watched it, though (having been inspired to watch both by playing through Arky Asylum again).

Large chunks of it were filmed just down the road from my house.
My opinion of The Dark Knight varies depending on my mood - I currently love it, but sometimes I nit-pick at it and find it dull in places (and I strongly disliked it the first time I saw it). Sometimes I prefer Batman Begins.

What REALLY makes TDK a winner is EVERY scene with The Joker - Heath Ledger's marvellous performance really grows on me each time I watch it.

Just got both of them on Blu-ray in fact - the picture quality of TDK is very, very good - the picture quality of BB on Blu-ray is good too, certainly better than the DVD, but not as good as TDK on Blu-ray. :)
Grim... wrote:

Yup. It was better the second time I watched it, though (having been inspired to watch both by playing through Arky Asylum again).

Were those the bits that showed the winding long driveway to Grim Wayne Manor?
NervousPete wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Were those the bits that showed the winding long driveway to Wayne Manor?

Don't think that was, but lots of the Gotham City bits were built inside some airship hangers just down the road.
Grim... wrote:
Don't think that was, but lots of the Gotham City bits were built inside some airship hangers just down the road.

Really? I presume you mean the ones I mentioned in the BBQ thread, in Shortstown. Awesome.

edit: they also appear to be where parts of Inception were filmed — presumably the revolving rig for the corridor scene:

And there's a list of other things it has been used for here: http://www.thestudiotour.com/productions.php?id=48
And here's Fred Astaire beating Nolan by nearly 60 years.

Page 107 of 424 [ 21170 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 424

Active Topics