All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Laptop help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 13:16 
£50 and a test game of ashes 09?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 13:21 
UltraMod

Yeah, but I'd cancel the contract if you scored at a strike rate of above 60. :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 19:22 
Excellent Member

nickachu wrote:
kalmar wrote:
After it developed this problem, did it still run off the battery until it went flat or did it die immediately?

Battery wouldnt hold charge, but it still worked off mains power...
I didnt really care as long as it turned on.

I'm guessing, as you used your laptop as a desktop, that you always had the laptop connected to the mains power when in use?
For future reference (if you ever get a new laptop) laptop batteries 'learn' how to charge efficiently. If you don't run the laptop from the battery between charges the battery will hold less and less charge and eventually die.

Incidentally, I take it you don't have home contents insurance with accidental damage cover? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 19:44 
Yes I used it as a desktop, but that's because I spilt tea on the keyboard so had to, as I couldn't afford to fix the keyboard but could afford to get an external one for free.

But I don't give a shit about the battery dying, it's just that it won't accept mains power and won't work. That's the problem!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 
UltraMod

ProTip: don't spill liquid on electronic goods, or if you really must, make sure it's water.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:14 
baron of techno

nickachu wrote:
Kalmar why won't you fix my laptop if you can? :(

I'll offer, but I get the impression you're in a hurry to get it working, and I'm away for the next week, and it'd probably be next month before I get around to it.

As I say I reckon the best solution (i.e. cheapest and fastest) for you now is just getting another second hand one and copying your stuff off the drive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 
I've managed to blag myself a free 2nd hand desktop that needs a new gpu, so that'll keep me sorted for the near future, will just pick up a new graphics card for £30 or so, then get the laptop fixed when I can afford it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 18:26 
Worst

Jack69hoops wrote:
I'm guessing, as you used your laptop as a desktop, that you always had the laptop connected to the mains power when in use?
For future reference (if you ever get a new laptop) laptop batteries 'learn' how to charge efficiently. If you don't run the laptop from the battery between charges the battery will hold less and less charge and eventually die.

Hey everybody! Is this true? If so, I have some unplugging to do...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 18:44 

throughsilver wrote:
Hey everybody! Is this true? If so, I have some unplugging to do...
Aye.
Quote:
Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

Or in more detail.
Quote:
A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 18:52 
Worst

Thanks for the info, Wullie!

Wow, running the battery down. Intentionally. It goes against my instinct, but OK...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 18:54 
Worst

Oh boo. My laptop is sucking at the Internet. Wifi connection hit and miss, but when it's hit it's 0/1 k/s. Downstairs pc works fine, as does the phone on wifi.

I have restarted, and turned Airport off and on again, to no avail. Little wifi plumage says full strength, but my stats say otherwise. Any advice greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Plug it into the network with a cable. Any change?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 

My ~18 month old laptop has now decided it hasn't actually got a battery. I don't think I'll buy a Sony Vaio again. This comes after one of the keys fell off - that was about a year ago but their idea of warranty repair was for me to not have the laptop for two weeks - balls to that.

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2