Political Banter and Debate Thread
Countdown to a flight-free UK
It's not like referendums are a core component of UK democracy. We only ever have one when politicians think they can score points by proposing one.
Most countries make it tricky to change the constitution. We don't. I tend to think that major constitutional change should be referred to the people, either through a general election or by a referendum. But as constitutions should be hard to change, a second poll after a cooling off period would be acceptable.
Cavey wrote:
FTSE 100 and 250 both really steaming ahead now btw.

Hurrah!
I HAVE CORRUPTED MIMI SHE WORSHIPS ONLY DATA NOW
Sadly doesn't fix the racism, lies, xenophobia, recent increase in racially motivated crimes or many of the other things affecting the citizens of our country today. In a way I fear this will bolster the racists in celebration of what they've brought about as they'll read it as them being right, and this country being great again, or some other bs.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I HAVE CORRUPTED MIMI SHE WORSHIPS ONLY DATA NOW

:DD
Lol. FTSE is at 6360 at close, which is pretty much as high as it's been for almost an entire year. Fact. Besides, how much "data" does one need? It's one bloody number (which is bigger than it was before ;) )... :shrug:

Don't shoot the messenger.
I sometimes wonder whether people seriously want the markets to tank, just to prove their point? Weird!
Cavey wrote:
Lol. FTSE is at 6360 at close, which is pretty much as high as it's been for almost an entire year. Fact. Besides, how much "data" does one need? It's one bloody number... :shrug:

Don't shoot the messenger.
I sometimes wonder whether people seriously want the markets to tank, just to prove their point? Weird!

I'm not trying to prove a point. I just had a look on the stock exchange site and plugged tge dates in to see it in context.

Though they are of course important, the stock exchange figures are not anywhere near my top worries of this Brexit fallout. It's the cost to communities and just good citizenship that I am worried about.

Also, trying to prove a point against what side... I thought you voted remain? :P
As I would've thought obvious, I am in favour of Remain, but that doesn't stop my critical faculties from working, nor does it mean I am not interested by (nor indeed heartened) when I see shares are strongly recovering, because ultimately people's livelihoods and jobs mean more to me than being right.
FTSE 100 has precious little to do with the U.K. Though. FTSE 250 is a far more uk relevant benchmark.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
FTSE 100 has precious little to do with the U.K. Though. FTSE 250 is a far more uk relevant benchmark.

Yes, I'm aware that point has been made (not quite sure how much I entirely agree with it), but I was specifically referencing the FTSE100 in my original post.
In any event, the FTSE250 climbed 500 points today, and is now pretty close to values comparable to most of the last year, which (to me at least) it pretty fucking incredible, actually. Consider what has just happened, and the state of our politics right now!
Cavey wrote:
As for Corbyn: truly the man has no shame (or class).

Rumours are in the last 24 hours he says he's had enough, but bloody Seamus convinced him to stay on.
Mimi wrote:
Sadly doesn't fix the racism, lies, xenophobia, recent increase in racially motivated crimes or many of the other things affecting the citizens of our country today. In a way I fear this will bolster the racists in celebration of what they've brought about as they'll read it as them being right, and this country being great again, or some other bs.

:this:
Even if the economy fixed itself overnight, it's going to take a long time to fix society. (I've just reminded myself of Cameron's "big society"... wonder how he feels that's working out.)
I entirely agree, as I've said.
MrChris wrote:
Brilliantly it looks like Corbyn may not actually be able to get his name on the ballot paper for any leadership election, as he needs 50 MPs or MEPs to secure a nomination (or so says the Grauniad), and his "team" (Seumas Milne and a dog, isn't it?) are getting legal advice.

Be eee ay you tee full.

Sumd up the whole mess.
Cavey wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Yes, I'm aware that point has been made (not quite sure how much I entirely agree with it), but I was specifically referencing the FTSE100 in my original post

This is from November 2013

Quote:
Research by the Capital Group, which manages more than £750 billion of assets, has shown that more of the FTSE 100’s revenues are earned internationally than had previously been believed.
Previous consensus estimates had held that two-thirds of FTSE 100 companies’ turnover was derived from overseas sales.
But the new study has raised this to 77%. According to the Capital Group, 30% of the FTSE 100’s revenues now come from emerging markets, 19% from the US, 17% from Europe excluding the UK, 5% from Japan, 4% from the rest of developed Asia, and 2% from Canada.
Cavey wrote:
As I would've thought obvious, I am in favour of Remain, but that doesn't stop my critical faculties from working, nor does it mean I am not interested by (nor indeed heartened) when I see shares are strongly recovering, because ultimately people's livelihoods and jobs mean more to me than being right.

Ah, that wasn't obvious, because your insistence that I was 'proving a point' and post seemed overly defensive. In fact, far from trying to merely prove a point (I'm no financial expert by any means... I was 100% out on what I had in my own bank account once, it's not really my forte) I was just providing the graph that I myself requested earlier on, because I finally found way to give the figures in context. I used the FTSE 250 index because I had read several experts analysis after Brexit that stated that this was the far more accurate measure, and I don't understand enough to know better than to trust what financial experts say.

So, yes, it was a graph putting the rise into context, just as I had asked for so that I could see for myself. Any recovery is welcome, though it looks like there is a still a bit of a way to go.
Man I love knitting and isn't my baby cute?

Oh, wait, Mimi, I think we've accidentally swapped scripts.
Mimi wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Ah, that wasn't obvious, because your insistence that I was 'proving a point' and post seemed overly defensive. In fact, far from trying to merely prove a point (I'm no financial expert by any means... I was 100% out on what I had in my own bank account once, it's not really my forte) I was just providing the graph that I myself requested earlier on, because I finally found way to give the figures in context. I used the FTSE 250 index because I had read several experts analysis after Brexit that stated that this was the far more accurate measure, and I don't understand enough to know better than to trust what financial experts say.

So, yes, it was a graph putting the rise into context, just as I had asked for so that I could see for myself. Any recovery is welcome, though it looks like there is a still a bit of a way to go.

It probably doesn't help that your graph appears to show the FTSE250 closing at 15,500, whereas the reality is it's closed at more than 16,000 today (as of 17:00 hours btw). So the graph reads entirely and contextually wrong, as it goes.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... ?index=MCX

So yes, data is indeed important... garbage in = garbage out.
Cavey wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Cavey wrote:

It probably doesn't help that your graph appears to show the FTSE250 closing at 15,500, whereas the reality is it's closed at more than 16,000 today (as of 17:00 hours btw). So the graph reads entirely and contextually wrong, as it goes.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... ?index=MCX

So yes, data is indeed important... garbage in = garbage out.
I don't think there is an option for selecting times. I think that's the official stock exchange site, though, so maybe I missed it, though I can't see it on the screenshot.
Hmm, no, tried it again, it's still saying the same thing. Oh well.
Just click the "Today" tab on the left hand side, this gives you today's FTSE250 share price from the start to end of today's trading, which is what I was referring to.
Not sure what you're looking at.

Or, just Google "FTSE250".
No graph, no deal.
Mimi wrote:
No graph, no deal.

Really?
OK, since it's you. :)

Looks a bit different, huh. ;)
I've ridden that route. Fucking Oakley road.
Cavey wrote:
Mimi wrote:
No graph, no deal.

Really?

Looks a bit different, huh.

That's just showing it's gone up today, put that figure back onto Mimi's graph and it doesn't make a great deal of difference.
Joans wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Mimi wrote:
No graph, no deal.

Really?

Looks a bit different, huh.

That's just showing it's gone up today, put that figure back onto Mimi's graph and it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

An extra 500 point climb in one day makes one heck of a difference actually. Here you go.
(Now, as much as I enjoy providing my, ahem, expert on-demand financial services and advanced IT, I really do need to get some tea kthnxbye )
Well yes, it makes 500 points worth of difference, but I think the point was that while the FTSE100 is now pretty much at pre-brexit levels, the 250 isn't, and even with that climb today it's still got a way to go.
Hmm, Cavey hasn't given much away with those screenshots.

He maybe uses Teamviewer, but I doubt it, and that's pretty much all I can get.

Boo! I love screenshot stalking :)
Joans wrote:
Well yes, it makes 500 points worth of difference, but I think the point was that while the FTSE100 is now pretty much at pre-brexit levels, the 250 isn't, and even with that climb today it's still got a way to go.

Look. All I said was the FTSE100 and 250 were steaming ahead today, which according to any sane definition, they have done, but Mimi's "hurrah!" post actually showed the wrong graph and data, which we've now sorted out, yeah? That's really all that needs to be said.

However, you're quite right, the FTSE100 is at pre-brexit levels (in fact the best it has been pretty much for a year, as I've said), and as you'll recall, I did specifically cite the FTSE100 in my original post. Again all as I've said earlier.

In terms of the FTSE250, I can't be arsed pissing around with more graphs, use Google if you want to check, but basically this closed 600 points *higher* than it was in only February this year, and it's never been above its 16000+ close levels today at pretty much any time before 2015. So y'know, as UK stock crashes go, this one's a real damp squib at the moment, which makes me GLAD, notwithstanding the fact I hate Brexit. This could change; you might be jumping on my head tomorrow as the arse drops out of the market again, but I'm not saying it will or it won't, merely that (a) I find it bloody surprising and (b) it's a good thing.

We done? :)
Grim... wrote:
Hmm, Cavey hasn't given much away with those screenshots.

He maybe uses Teamviewer, but I doubt it, and that's pretty much all I can get.

Boo! I love screenshot stalking :)

lulz, I am a totes Luddite, man. :)
Which is why this is all a bit hilarious. :D
Cavey wrote:
We done? :)

Absolutely, I hope you enjoyed your tea :)
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

You know what is going to be brilliant? You riding the final 100 metres and half way along you see me at the side of the road with a broom handle.
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

You know what is going to be brilliant? You riding the final 100 metres and half way along you see me at the side of the road with a broom handle.

You know what would be brilliant? Not getting tendonitis after 30 miles.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

:(

You using cleats? Have you moved them? Try sliding saddle forwards and back, too
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

:(

You using cleats? Have you moved them? Try sliding saddle forwards and back, too

I think it's a cleat issue and will test this theory at the weekend. Lost a cleat on a ride a couple of weeks back and may have misaligned the replacement.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Man I love knitting and isn't my baby cute?

Oh, wait, Mimi, I think we've accidentally swapped scripts.

This got nowhere near enough :wub:
Turns out that's not a smilie.
Cras wrote:
Turns out that's not a smilie.

:dick:
Gove denounces Boris as being unsuited for leadership and is running for PM himself!

It keeps on getting more entertaining!
Curiosity wrote:
Gove denounces Boris as being unsuited for leadership and is running for PM himself!

It keeps on getting more entertaining!

HAHA WHAT
Nothing is shocking or surprising anymore.

Hopefully Brian Blessed and his hawkmen will swoop down to today and take over this shitogeddon.
Time to dig out this Gove classic
Just read a profile of him that stated, amongst other things, that he's never been particularly good with numbers.
Boris source: "Gove is a cunt. He planned this from the start."

This is gonna be good
They all think it's just a jolly fucking game.
Johnson may be out of the running according to Peston
Page 97 of 289 [ 14415 posts ]