Political Banter and Debate Thread
Countdown to a flight-free UK
Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Nicky Morgan

Shite Education Secretary who voted against gay marriage whilst being the Minister for Equality

Wasn't she (for that reason) made Minister For Equality Except For Them Gays?

She absolutely was. Nick Boles took the Equal Marriage brief.

Yet another distraction that he took in instead of installing me a fucking stairlift.

Oh, Boles
Then her constituents are knobs.34
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Nicky Morgan

Shite Education Secretary who voted against gay marriage whilst being the Minister for Equality

Wasn't she (for that reason) made Minister For Equality Except For Them Gays?

She absolutely was. Nick Boles took the Equal Marriage brief.

If my recall is correct, she said something like her constituents had asked her to vote against it.

No excuse. It was meant to be a vote of conscience.
MrChris wrote:
And we'll end up in the internal market again with free movement of people, is my bet.
My bet, too. And to get there we'll still be paying the EU roughly £350m/week (or more, if we get a shoeing in the negotiations.) And we'll still have to comply with much EU law regarding things like manufacturing standards and suchlike, in order to keep the trade deal alive. We'll get less money from EU benefits, and we'll still have to comply with fishing quotas. And we'll lose our vetos and our seat at the table that sets the EU law-making agenda. That's Norway, basically.

So... why did we leave, again?

Lonewolves wrote:
Quite possibly, but if that happens there will be riots from those who voted Leave because they are against immigration.
I dunno about riots, but there's no question in my mind that ^^that is not what many Leave voters thought they were voting for.
Because Norway is awesome?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And to get there we'll still be paying the EU roughly £350m/week

And of course it was about £160m a week with the rebate.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Shits and giggles.

Oh boy, in 10 years' time this week is going to provide me with so many potential doctoral titles.
MrChris wrote:

Fjords.
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Hahaha right because we'll keep the rebate.

No, I mean, we will actually be paying £350m/week.
Yeah, I think he got that.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Hahaha right because we'll keep the rebate.

No, I mean, we will actually be paying £350m/week.

Oh absolutely.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

To make Britain great again, of course. It's been nearly a week...is it great again yet? *taps foot*
Well, I'm great. I think we're doing it one at a time. You can do tomorrow.
I've taken back control. Who was meant to have it next? Is there a list?
Given the current political turmoil, courtiers at Kensington Palace keep on turning down the lights and playing Barry White to encourage the Cambridges to do their duty to unite the country.
Cras wrote:
I've taken back control. Who was meant to have it next? Is there a list?

2. ???
3. Profit!
MrChris wrote:

A woman (Knitter) in Norway keeps contacting me like I am her new best friend and as if we have done something heroic. I have said I do t agree with the result, but she loves me for being kart of s country that has left the EU nonetheless. She's sent me five emails via my web form in the last two days alone. I'm so confused.
Mimi wrote:
MrChris wrote:

A woman (Knitter) in Norway keeps contacting me like I am her new best friend and as if we have done something heroic. I have said I do t agree with the result, but she loves me for being kart of s country that has left the EU nonetheless. She's sent me five emails via my web form in the last two days alone. I'm so confused.

She's clearly a spy.

EDIT Disappointingly, I can't find any pictures of Vladimir Putin knitting, so imagine it and laugh anyway.
Mimi wrote:
MrChris wrote:

You should post them here so we can form a lovely British reply one word at a time.
Chair of Young Labour calling for him to go. Unions are meeting. If they turn against him then he's finished.
Cameron barely covering his disgust at the result. Described proposed plans to use WTO tariffs as 'Barking'.
Curiosity wrote:
Cameron barely covering his disgust at the result. Described proposed plans to use WTO tariffs as 'Barking'.

Where was this?
MrChris wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Where was this?

PMQs
Missed that bit. Working gets in the way of listening to the radio :-/
MrChris wrote:
Missed that bit. Working gets in the way of listening to the radio :-/

Maybe it wasn't then :D
Quote was along the lines of: "I'm not free yet to say what I think, but that a place in London near Dagenham comes to mind".
Curiosity wrote:
Quote was along the lines of: "I'm not free yet to say what I think, but that a place in London near Dagenham comes to mind".

Redbridge?
Curiosity wrote:

Bexley?
Don't know why he feels that it's appropriate to keep on making little jokes as though he hasn't just completely fucked the whole country over. Fucking piece of shit.
Curiosity wrote:

Romford?
I don't think it's entirely fair to say he fucked the country over. He voted remain, after all.
MrChris wrote:
I don't think it's entirely fair to say he fucked the country over. He voted remain, after all.

Did he though? I didn't see his ballot paper...

And yes, he did. It was his own stupid fucking stupid idea. He was so arrogant to think it would once and for all unite the Tory party. What a legacy.
MrChris wrote:
There was no realistic chance for a referendum until that dickhead chanced it as a political manoeuvre. He's as guilty as anyone.
Was it wrong to have a referendum then? Given that the majority of the country both (a) wanted one and (b) wanted to leave the EU?
markg wrote:
MrChris wrote:
There was no realistic chance for a referendum until that dickhead chanced it as a political manoeuvre. He's as guilty as anyone.

Cameron faced serious agitation from the Tory Right for one during the halcyon days of the coalition so it was an attempt to tame the Eurosceptic wing of his party, many of whom were not very keen on the coalition and being excluded from government. Given his small majority after 2015, had he not acted on the promise, he might have faced a substantial revolt.
MrChris wrote:
Was it wrong to have a referendum then? Given that the majority of the country both (a) wanted one and (b) wanted to leave the EU?

Yes. On the simple premise that I've mentioned before - it's always wrong to have a referendum. Unless you're naming a boat.
Oh, and there was still residual anger in the party over the 'cast-iron' guarantee of a referendum on Lisbon that he had to drop after it was ratified.
(My holiday reading was Seldon & Snowdon's 'Cameron at 10'. He goes into detail about the thought-processes and tactical thinking that led to the 2013 Bloomberg speech that started this whole farrago)
MrChris wrote:

The EU wasn't any more of an issue with the country than it has been since forever, nobody even really cared about it. As for most people wanting to Leave the EU I think that's been done to death by now. I don't believe they did until all this fervour was whipped up.
Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Yes. On the simple premise that I've mentioned before - it's always wrong to have a referendum. Unless you're naming a boat.

But why, though? What's wrong with democracy? Yes, some things don't work with referendums ( if you're giving a choice no one wanted, why end up with A or B - e.g. AV), but this was a very simple yes/no question on something that lots of people wanted to put to bed one way or the other, and of course the Tories had it in their manifesto and they got elected.
MrChris wrote:

markg wrote:
MrChris wrote:

The EU wasn't any more of an issue with the country than it has been since forever, nobody even really cared about it. As for most people wanting to Leave the EU I think that's been done to death by now. I don't believe they did until all this fervour was whipped up.

I believe they did, e.g. the continual growing popularity of UKIP over the last few years.
Whoever it is who does those cartoon things isn't clever or funny, myp. And you continually misuse them, too.

I assume the second one was about you, though? ;)
MrChris wrote:
Whoever it is who does those cartoon things isn't clever or funny, myp. And you continually misuse them, too.

They're hilarious and brilliant. And these are totally relevant to you, Mr Constant Devil's Advocate for no reason.

It's not my fault you're utterly humourless. :shrug:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

They're hilarious and brilliant. And these are totally relevant to you, Mr Constant Devil's Advocate for no reason.

In that case I don't think you know what Devil's Advocate means, myp.
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Oh, do tell me then. I haven't been patronised enough by you recently. :insincere:
MrChris wrote:
markg wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I believe they did, e.g. the continual growing popularity of UKIP over the last few years.

Same UKIP who got one MP?

What % of the electorate voted for the Tories at the last GE? This referendum being one item in their manifesto is the basis for your claim that most people wanted to have this referendum? That's ridiculous.
A simple question? Hardly - also a proxy vote on who should lead the country, for some a vote to dismiss globalisation etc. etc. And not actually a simple yes/no, given that people are so used to their votes not counting, that they didn't expect a vote for leave to in any way be able to tilt the vote towards, er, leave. That's what you get if you introduce a form of voting people aren't used to.
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Oh, do tell me then. I haven't been patronised enough by you recently. :insincere:

Can you show me one example of me patronising you, rather than the other way around? It's not me that's constantly been responding to your posts with little but snark myp. I genuinely don't know why you apparently have such a problem with me, but there we are.
markg wrote:
Same UKIP who got one MP?

Same UKIP who became the third largest party in the UK based on share of the vote?
Page 95 of 289 [ 14415 posts ]