Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: XBL / EA servers compromised ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:
Well it's odd, right? People will happily give their credit card details to some bloke who scratches off points cards in his basement, but balk at the idea of giving them to a multinational corporation. Weird.

Basement bloke might be a cunt, might not be. But all he has in my credit card details.
Xbox live department already proven cunts. Who have my credit card details, plus multiple personal details and a password.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:13 

Regardless, you'll still be able to nip into GAME and buy a card to top up your "wallet".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
Regardless, you'll still be able to nip into GAME and buy a card to top up your "wallet".

Well, we assume that, but i agree that is likely to be possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:29 

There's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't offer cards. A huge portion of their customers don't have access to credit or debit cards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
To con people into buying more points than they actually need.

It also does away with complicated conversion rate stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 15:33 

True! But the two aren't mutually exclusive. Nothing stopping them letting you buy points in increments of 100 or 50, rather than their current offerings, which are annoyingly too large or too small to buy most games that are priced in increments of 400.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 15:46 

When I buy a points card it is paid through paypal.com. Bloke In Basement never sees my credit card details. And the points are two thirds the price this way as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 17:52 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

How the fuck are they going to 'convert' existing points to real money? Even using the dashboard, you get more points for buying in Bulk. The points per £ ratio therefore differs at every quantum of purchase. Plus of course if you have bought points using scratchcards with variable prices.

I predict mass outrage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 18:02 

WTB wrote:
...it'll spell the end of getting cheap points cards as a £15 card is likely to sell for exactly that from now on.
Dinnae worry, them cheap itunes vouchers reckon otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 18:36 
Excellent Member

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Even using the dashboard, you get more points for buying in Bulk.

No you don't. Well, assuming that the prices on the dashboard are the same as on the Xbox website anyway. The site offers four bundles of points (500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 6000) at various prices but for all of them it works out at 0.85p per moon point; there's no advantage to buying them in bulk except the fact that you'll have more.

In fact the conversion issue is surely a red herring. Regardless of how much you paid for your moon points originally each one is currently worth the same amount in terms of what it can be redeemed against. So if they pick a value for each MS point (say 0.85p for instance) and convert everyone's point balance at that constant rate then no one's getting screwed; both before and after the conversion everyone can buy the same amount of stuff using the balance of their account. It means that two people who had a final balance of say £10 might have paid different amount of actual real money originally to end up with that £10 balance but that's just the way it goes and no one's actually losing anything here. Or, at least, if they picked a really shitty moon-point-to-currency conversion rate, everyone's getting fucked equally regardless of how much they spent originally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 19:20 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Damn you. I wanted to create scandals :-(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:16 
Paws for thought

Ok, so I just got an email welcoming me to need for speed world. I've never played need for speed in any form.

Could someone Check my online status. I'd expect to have Dark soulsbas my last game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:19 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
Ok, so I just got an email welcoming me to need for speed world. I've never played need for speed in any form.

Could someone Check my online status. I'd expect to have Dark soulsbas my last game.

'Last seen 23/01/2012 playing Xbox.com' and Dark Souls looks to be your most recent game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mr Dave wrote:

My xbox.com is saying you were last online on the 23rd and Dark souls was your last game (before that Gears 3 and Space Marine)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:21 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

'Last seen 23/01/2012 playing Xbox.com' and Dark Souls looks to be your most rrecent game.

Thanks. Now to try to find out why I got this email.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:23 
Awesome
Yes

Change your password though, yeah?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:25 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

'Last seen 23/01/2012 playing Xbox.com' and Dark Souls looks to be your most rrecent game.

Is your email address @gmail, @hotmail etc or one at your own domain? Just wondering if someone could have mistyped their own address.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:34 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Is your email address @gmail, @hotmail etc or one at your own domain? Just wondering if someone could have mistyped their own address.

The email address is unique, and the one that ea holds for me - and no one else. There's no way it's accidental.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Isn't every email address unique or do you mean that you only use it for Xbox shenanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:44 
Skillmeister

I got a welcome to Need For Speed thing too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:51 
Paws for thought

TheVision wrote:
Isn't every email address unique or do you mean that you only use it for Xbox shenanigans.

Unique in that it's an email address in my own domain which I've only ever go en to ea. Not xbox live, they have a completely different email.

Cancelled my card to be safe - it was dying anyway and needed replacing anyway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 19:26 
Honey Boo Boo

Don't you want to play EA's cack games any more?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 19:35 
Skillmeister

What's wrong with Mass Effect, Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 19:46 
Honey Boo Boo

Dimrill wrote:
What's wrong with Mass Effect, Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge?

Mass Effect I finished to death, its sequels are now becoming a DLC-ridden third person shooter.
Burny Pee is the one and only exception.
Mirror's Edge doesn't require EA's shitty servers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:16 
Skillmeister

What's wrong with Syndicate, SSX Tricky, SimCity 2000, Desert Strike, Dead Space, Theme Hospital, Bard's Tale, Battlefield 2, Brutal Legend, Command & Conquer, Dan Dare(!), Dune 2000, Dungeon Keeper, The Godfather, Goldeneye, Indianapolis 500, James Pond, Road Rash, The Saboteur, SimCopter or Ultima?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 
Excellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
What's wrong with Syndicate, SSX Tricky, SimCity 2000, Desert Strike, Dead Space, Theme Hospital, Bard's Tale, Battlefield 2, Brutal Legend, Command & Conquer, Dan Dare(!), Dune 2000, Dungeon Keeper, The Godfather, Goldeneye, Indianapolis 500, James Pond, Road Rash, The Saboteur, SimCopter or Ultima?

They're all shit? Yeah, they're all shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 
Skillmeister

Shitty EA and their shitty games! Bohh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 
Paws for thought

metalangel wrote:
Don't you want to play EA's cack games any more?

I don;t mind that, I mind the possibility of them having my credit card number if my account starts claiming I've registered for things I've never tiuched.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:24 
Comfortably Dumb

devilman wrote:
If the above is true, you would have through Microsoft would have something in place that would detect brute force hacking like that - just something to detect a large number of failures in quick succession from the same IP address for a start.

My Gold membership runs out at the end of the month so I've set my account to not auto-renew and at when it expires, I'm hoping the Xbox site will allow me to remove my card details, as it won't as present.

My account expired so I've renewed via Paypal through the dashboard and it still wouldn't allow me to remove my card details, either through the console (gave me some error code) or the website (comes up with a javascript error). Had to phone them to have it removed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://majornelson.com/2012/02/07/a-let ... -security/

Quote:
Your Security is Important to Me

Since today is Safer Internet Day, I thought it’d be a good opportunity to share a few things that have been on my mind these last several months. Here at Microsoft we view this day through many lenses from online safety to privacy to account and data security and more, and we take your security and online safety very seriously.

As all of us know, account hijacking across the Internet continues to grow. It’s a thriving – albeit illegal – industry affecting online services the globe over. Last year, there was a surge of personal information being compromised and sold, and this undoubtedly has had an impact on all of us. While we here at Xbox have no evidence of a security breach in the Xbox LIVE service, that is of little comfort to our members whose accounts have been compromised by malicious and illegal attacks.

It’s in this vein I’m reminded how important it is to listen to you, our members – to really listen, to really hear and to really do something with what you say. I can assure you we are listening and continue to take aggressive steps to help protect you against ever-changing threats. We also care deeply about how this ongoing issue affects your experience with Xbox LIVE and your trust in us.

Security is an ongoing battle. No matter how well we work to improve security – and we are working every day to bring new forms of protection to Xbox LIVE – our work will never end. With every measure we put in place, ill-intentioned people will create new ways to attack online services.

That’s why I believe it’s more important than ever that our members are armed with information and security tools to actively partner with us in this war on fraud. We have a dedicated web page at http://xbox.com/security detailing all the steps you can take today to help protect your account.

What you’ll see here is the most common sources of attack continue to involve:

· social engineering to gather information about the user to guess the password;
· phishing, whereby the user types the account password into an illegitimate website that is pretending to be something else;
· malicious software on the computer that has captured the password; or
· using the same password from another online service that has been breached.

I share these realities in hope that our members will work with us to reduce the ease of access for hackers. Personal account security starts with setting strong passwords and routinely changing them, using a valid email and a unique password for each online service, adding a phone number, alternate email address, and a unique and private security question via the Windows LIVE ID Account Management site, and reducing the amount of personal information shared online or through social networks. More and more, being mindful of where you login to online services, even when not using Xbox LIVE, and using single-use codes, provides added protection, especially when you’re signing in from a PC that isn’t your own. Working together we can prevail over the criminals.

I realize it may fall flat when we don’t share specific details of our security architecture. However, some of the security measures we have in place to help protect our members include password-attempt throttling, CAPTCHA (an industry-standard anti-scripting measure designed so that an actual human needs to answer the challenge), strong proofs (trusted PC, pin sent to cell phone, secondary e-mail and security questions), and account lockout for multiple failed attempts and compromised accounts, which we investigate and recover to the rightful owner.

Getting ahead of potential threats of harm is an important area of focus. At a broader level, Microsoft continues to investigate cyber-criminals and bot nets, and help shut them down. And although this is an industry-wide challenge, we are an industry-leading company that believes in our responsibility to actively address online fraud and identity theft. As part of this commitment, we continue to put in place security features and process improvements to help secure Xbox LIVE.

Recovering compromised accounts – in a timely manner – is also a priority and an area where we’ve made, and will continue to make, improvements. We have invested more resources in our account recovery process and as a result, for most new fraud cases we are now able to investigate and return accounts within three days. For users who have added strong proofs to their accounts, this may be as fast as 24 hours. We still have a few cases that are taking longer to fully recover and some refunds are still being processed, but we’re making great strides. We hope our customers are experiencing the improvements firsthand.

We do not take lightly the frustrations we’ve heard from our loyal Xbox LIVE members and remain committed to addressing and persistently resolving our customers’ individual and collective concerns. For now, if you have a problem we haven’t yet resolved, please email me. Also tune into Major Nelson’s podcast this week to hear more about our work in the war on fraud.

With my sincere commitment to listen and take action,

Alex Garden
Email: Alex dot Garden at Microsoft dot com
General Manager, Xbox LIVE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 13:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:
http://majornelson.com/2012/02/07/a-letter-from-alex-garden-your-security/

Quote:

What you’ll see here is the most common sources of attack continue to involve:

· social engineering to gather information about the user to guess the password;
· phishing, whereby the user types the account password into an illegitimate website that is pretending to be something else;
· malicious software on the computer that has captured the password; or
· using the same password from another online service that has been breached.

And therein lies the rub... EA are hackable it seems, but nobody wants to admit it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:13 

I've now taken the precaution of switching my Xbox to a brand new dedicated (Windows) Live profile. I occurred to me that I have typed my old Live password into some random programs because I also use it as my primary MSN messenger account.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Does that mean you've got a new ID?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:25 

No. Turns out you can move your Xbox Live account from one (Windows) Live profile to another through the Xbox's dashboard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Huh. So you've kept all your cheevos, etc?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:35 
Master of dodgy spelling....

That is a good idea..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Wait, what?

You've switched gamertag, or just changed the email address associated with your current gamertag?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:40 

Trooper wrote:
Wait, what?

You've switched gamertag, or just changed the email address associated with your current gamertag?
The latter. I've switched the email address (and by extension the entire Windows Live profile) associates with my existing Gamertag. I didn't lose cheevos, Points balance, or anything else. The only downside I've seen is that I can no longer use MSN integration meaningfully, as it's changed the MSN Messenger account attached to the Live profile. I don't care about that at all.

Amused people are surprised by this, because I found out about it from a post further up this very thread :) I think someone linked to a "steps to harden your Xbox Live account" tutorial. Something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Wait, what?

The latter. I've switched the email address (and by extension the entire Windows Live profile) associates with my existing Gamertag. I didn't lose cheevos, Points balance, or anything else. The only downside I've seen is that I can no longer use MSN integration meaningfully, as it's changed the MSN Messenger account attached to the Live profile. I don't care about that at all.

Amused people are surprised by this, because I found out about it from a post further up this very thread :) I think someone linked to a "steps to harden your Xbox Live account" tutorial. Something like that.

I was only surprised as I thought you had moved your live account to a different gamertag (you can only do that if you are forced to by MS IIRC, usually if you have a rude gamertag, such as Gaywood ,) ), rather than switched the email address underneath it, which makes more sense :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 18:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

He's an international renowned doctor and scholar Ffs, not Mr chris.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 18:33 

Trooper wrote:
I was only surprised as I thought you had moved your live account to a different gamertag (you can only do that if you are forced to by MS IIRC, usually if you have a rude gamertag, such as Gaywood ,) ), rather than switched the email address underneath it, which makes more sense :D
It didn't help that I'd written "Live profile" above to mean "Windows Live profile", rather than "Xbox Live profile". I've edited and clarified the posts now.

Note that this is bit more than a simple email address change, though. My Xbox Live points were transferred from one Windows Live account to another, for example; my MSN on my Xbox dashboard now goes to a different account; I've no idea what happened to my Games for Windows Live account. There's probably other bits and pieces too. Interestingly, Microsoft only let you do this once every 30 days, presumably to prevent some fraud thing or other.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 

Hacked. All my points have gone and I've been playing Fifa 12 apparently. Never touched the game.

THANKS, EA, YOU FUCKING DIRTY CUNTS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 

Update:

Logged on to my bank website to see if any transactions had happened on the CC Microsoft have refused to delete from my account. My card was showing up with a credit limit of 'not applicable'. WTF?

I phone the bank, Mr. other side of the world comedy accent man explains to me that the 'systems are down'. I Ask him to check at his end that no fraudulent transactions are happening, he says he can't because the systems are down at the bank, too. I say "well, at least they can't make any purchases then, what with the systems being down". Mr Comedy Voice then says "Oh, it won't affect purchases, you are still free to use your card to make purchases if you choose to, Mr. Governmentyard". And so, of course, can the Fifa hackers.

"Call back in an hour" was his best offer. Better than Microsoft, who don't open till 9. What's with that, anyway? Put me through to America.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

So that's someone else. Sorry to hear that Governmentyard.

How many is that now? 4 people I know of who've been hacked.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 
UltraMod

Did you follow the account hardening advice earlier in this thread after it happened to me?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 

I think I might have just exploded at a lovely young lady called Frances. She was very diplomatic and very patient, but I was demanding about why this wqas happening to friends inOctober, became headline news and is still going on. Got the line about Microsoft not being 'properly' hacked and it being something of a third party issue (or words to that effect) and avoided the semantic debate by saying the leak is demonstrably through EA with whom Microsoft have special agreements via specific games, which Microsoft have certified prior to release, so it is their fault. Obviously she couldn't admit this but some customer service representatives are quite good at letting us know they agree without saying so.

Anyway... card off account, investigation raised, Frances reckons they're going to turn this round in much less than the 30 days quoted.

It seems to be as routine now as, ooooh..... replacing an RRoD unit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 

myp wrote:
Did you follow the account hardening advice earlier in this thread after it happened to me?

Been trying to get my EA account closed and remove my card for weeks. Passwords changed as story broke. Certainly weren't the same for both accounts. Even if I had 1 password for both and never changed it though, there's no excuse for it being hacked via EA when I've sent a fuckton of emails to them demanding my account closure.

XBox needs Steamguard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 17:32 

Answer me this, chums - I've been assured that if I play games on my profile offline, I shall eventually get the achievements added when I go online, once the account is unsuspended.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to accept this as fact just because MS say so.... any precedent for it not happening?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 17:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It does happen, but the achievements won't have a date/time stamp like they do if you're online. That may or may not bother you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 17:34 
Skillmeister

They do indeed. By some kind of witchcraft, Myp's were even added and scanned by True Achievements all the while his account was suspended.

Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next