Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits & Bobs 31
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 16:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Trooper wrote:
My home internet connection sends and receives goblins down a single tiny fragile wire, which connects to another tiny fragile wire, which connects to a billion other tiny fragile wires, all of which are buried underground, or draped through the air in a haphazard fashion, all of which need to be perfectly connected and none of which can be broken.

That works all the time.

By comparison, my phone throws it's goblins in every direction at the same time, it is literally impossible not to be hit by a goblin of mine if you are within range. Same in reverse from the tower, yet it can't even catch one of them?

Goblins have a terrible sense of direction. You can guarantee it'll work better if you give them a bit of string to follow to their destination.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 16:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:
Trooper wrote:
My home internet connection sends and receives goblins down a single tiny fragile wire, which connects to another tiny fragile wire, which connects to a billion other tiny fragile wires, all of which are buried underground, or draped through the air in a haphazard fashion, all of which need to be perfectly connected and none of which can be broken.

That works all the time.

By comparison, my phone throws it's goblins in every direction at the same time, it is literally impossible not to be hit by a goblin of mine if you are within range. Same in reverse from the tower, yet it can't even catch one of them?

Goblins have a terrible sense of direction. You can guarantee it'll work better if you give them a bit of string to follow to their destination.

There sense of direction doesn't matter, they are able to go everywhere at once, it's a goblin mexican wave, rather than individual goblins walking to see their mum and getting lost.

As an aside, I spent my formative working years testing mobile phones. Or more specifically, GSM PCMCIA Modems connected to various makes of different mobile phones
Oh yes, in those days, your phone couldn't handle it's own data connection, you had to buy a modem, and each modem could only support one type of phone.

Now, to test these lovely little modems, I had trays and trays full of various mobile phones, which always worked, possibly due to the reason that sitting beside me was a 2ft square steel box with lots of buttons and bits on it. This was a portable mobile phone signal generator. My head was 3ft away from it for most of the day for a few months, when I wasn't being blasted by various atmospheric and security point radiations as I flew around europe from airport to airport, spending a few hours in each, running various tests…

This may explain a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 17:11 

Trooper wrote:

If that were true, the internet would never work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 17:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:

There sense of direction doesn't matter, they are able to go everywhere at once, it's a goblin mexican wave, rather than individual goblins walking to see their mum and getting lost.

Nah. Ethernet goblins can't go everywhere at once. That's why they have a label on a bit of string around their necks to remind themselves where they're supposed to be going in case they get lost.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 17:49 
INFINITE POWAH

I've had a busy day today, and just catching up with the news.

Oh, poor Ed Milliband. Was his brother near the goblin transducer?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 17:57 

All this goblin talk is just coming across as trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:06 
Excellent Painter

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I've had a busy day today, and just catching up with the news.

Oh, poor Ed Milliband. Was his brother near the goblin transducer?

Whenever I see Ed Milliband I always think of...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:

Nah. Ethernet goblins can't go everywhere at once. That's why they have a label on a bit of string around their necks to remind themselves where they're supposed to be going in case they get lost.

Ethernet goblins have a label, but wireless goblins go literally everywhere. Which is why it is crazy that they can't find a way to my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

lasermink wrote:
Trooper wrote:

If that were true, the internet would never work.

Not everything mentioned is the entire truth :D

I'm not sure, but i'm pretty certain there aren't any goblins involved either...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 19:16 
Master of dodgy spelling....

i have so got to get Goblins used in sentences at work tomorrow. I might get sent home :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 19:52 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:

Ethernet goblins have a label, but wireless goblins go literally everywhere. Which is why it is crazy that they can't find a way to my phone.

Wireless goblins get tired and lost easier, so get spread out and separated. For want of a better term, you could say the goblin intensity decreases with distance from the goblin homestead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:16 

Bobbyaro wrote:
Wireless goblins get tired and lost easier, so get spread out and separated. For want of a better term, you could say the goblin intensity decreases with distance from the goblin homestead.
With the square of distance if there's no clutter in the way, but in practice with the goblins bouncing off hills and buildings and other goblins it's often more like the distance raised to the forth power.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 21:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
There sense of direction

Oh, Trooper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 21:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
There sense of direction

Oh, Trooper.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 21:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What do you say, Trooper?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

Stop using your mod powers to edit my posts and make me look foolish?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't have mod powas.
I do have 'original post log' powas, though:
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------
Trooper (595) - 2011-09-27T16:56:34+01:00 - quote
[quote="Craster"][quote="Trooper"]My home internet connection sends and receives goblins down a single tiny fragile wire, which connects to another tiny fragile wire, which connects to a billion other tiny fragile wires, all of which are buried underground, or draped through the air in a haphazard fashion, all of which need to be perfectly connected and none of which can be broken.^M
^M
That works all the time.^M
^M
By comparison, my phone throws it's goblins in every direction at the same time, it is literally impossible not to be hit by a goblin of mine if you are within range.  Same in reverse from the tower, yet it can't even catch one of them?[/quote]^M
^M
Goblins have a terrible sense of direction. You can guarantee it'll work better if you give them a bit of string to follow to their destination.[/quote]^M
^M
There sense of direction doesn't matter, they are able to go everywhere at once, it's a goblin mexican wave, rather than individual goblins walking to see their mum and getting lost.^M
^M
As an aside, I spent my formative working years testing mobile phones.  Or more specifically, GSM PCMCIA Modems connected to various makes of different mobile phones^M
Oh yes, in those days, your phone couldn't handle it's own data connection, you had to buy a modem, and each modem could only support one type of phone.^M
^M
Now, to test these lovely little modems, I had trays and trays full of various mobile phones, which always worked, possibly due to the reason that sitting beside me was a 2ft square steel box with lots of buttons and bits on it.  This was a portable mobile phone signal generator.  My head was 3ft away from it for most of the day for a few months, when I wasn't being blasted by various atmospheric and security point radiations as I flew around europe from airport to airport, spending a few hours in each, running various testsâ¦^M
^M
This may explain a lot.

So there :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hmm - do you copy and paste your posts from Word, or something? Odd that your ellipsis was turned into ASCII … (…).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm fairly sure this is a fascinating conversation for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Hmm - do you copy and paste your posts from Word, or something? Odd that your ellipsis was turned into ASCII … (…).

For longer posts like that i'm typing into a textedit document and cut and pasting for the next couple of weeks. The joys of open plan offices, pair workstations and not enough desks to go round :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I
KNOW(tice)
ALL

I find http://www.beex.co.uk/m is better for 'office working'. I'm tempted to do a spreadsheet theme :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yes you should.. although, my work doesn't use spreadsheets. They prefer to cut and paste figures into notepad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Over the past 8 weeks I've spend faaaar longer doing spreadsheets for Beex than spreadsheets for work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 23:35 
Excellent Member

"Who's"

Argh.

Also, met PM Milliband once - just before he became PM - in an attempt at corralling him into the signing the library visiting book. Disappointingly limp handshake leading to Hank Hill crisis of confidence in me over him.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 23:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

NervousPete wrote:
Also, met PM Milliband once - just before he became PM - in an attempt at corralling him into the signing the library visiting book. Disappointingly limp handshake leading to Hank Hill crisis of confidence in me over him.

MILLIBAND IS PM?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 0:02 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

MILLIBAND IS PM?

Last I checked.

Oops. Sorry, slipped into Universe B again.

... wait, is George Takei supposed to be President?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:21 

This thread is full of LIES.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 
Excellent Member

I momentarily freaked the heck out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:24 
Excellent Member

I want to hear more stories about goblins.

I have bruises on my back from being an awesome weightlifting superstar. I R well hard. But also in mild discomfort.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 

I'm trying to read Mr Miliband's speech. As with all such things, it looks like they've put the autocue text online, which makes it look like some free verse poetry and thus difficult to read. I suppose I should just be less of politics nerd and just listen to the snippets on the news - everyone else does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 
INFINITE POWAH

flis wrote:

I have bruises on my back from being an awesome weightlifting superstar.

Is that the euphamism we're using now?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:27 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
flis wrote:

I have bruises on my back from being an awesome weightlifting superstar.

Is that the euphamism we're using now?

No, norty Chris! Good to have back, man, I was wondering about you at the weekend. Because apparently I like to spend my spare time wondering about internet forum people. Like a weirdo.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Ramsea is pretty heavy, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:51 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Still, it'll be a bit warmer at that end of the house now. And any leftovers can be turned into wargaming scenery.

You should totally come visit my new basement.

Heh. Train set!

Also - don't you live in the arse end of nowhere now? How's the north treating you? How's MrsA's new job going?

The top floor bedroom would be awesome for a massive train set. The basement, possibly, too, but it's smaller. I'm a 20 minute train ride from Leeds, and 6 miles from Bradford nowadays. I think she's enjoying the job, although with the lack of commute, we're adjusting to spe ding an extra 3 hours a day together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:59 
Excellent Member

Keyboard! Sweet wonderful working keyboard! Plus it has that special not filled with crumbs look :DD :DD Oh, Delete, SIU shift, alt and number keys how I've yearned for thee.

Edit: also spacebar, sweet jesus the lack of spacebar was annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 13:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Stupid spineless bosses just tried to make us work through our lunch even though we regularly work overtime.

I told them they take enough time off us as it is then stormed off... to lunch.

I like standing up for myself but wonder if it'll get me in trouble?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 13:49 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

No, but spending the time posting on a forum might! :D

(Good on you!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 14:41 
INFINITE POWAH

I don't doubt you spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about me, Flis. Just not when you're doing your "weightlifting", eh? That'd be weird.

Mali - how are you liking your new location, then? Is it urban/suburban/rural? Do you own a tweed jacket? Are you gainfully employed yet, or is it a bit soon for that?

I'd have thought the additional 3 hours a day with MrsA would be worth the price of the move alone, Mr Grumpychops.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:09 
Gogmagog

Kissyfur: I quite like Bingley, it's a nice place. We've found a nice curry house and there's a couple of nice pubs. We've also joined the theatre, and will be stage managing a production in the new year, hopefully. We live in a terraced town house (4 minutes from the station, 6 minutes to town, 10 to curry house and nice pub) built sometime in the mid 1800s or so. We're spread over four floors, the basement containing a utility room, and essentials such as XBox, big TV, PC and 80 watt guitar amp. Ground floor is a large living room and a kitchen, first floor is quite a large bathroom and large bedroom and the whole of the top floor is our bedroom. I've owned a tweed jacket for ages now.

I've been around the agencies in Leeds for employment and been applying for things, seems to be a fair amount about, so fingers crossed. Theatre guy is singing my praises to a solicitor so I've got to make contact with him soon. MrsA can walk to work and back, and I do enjoy the extra time we spend together moreso now that the house is empty of fleas and cat hair, even though she makes me do stuff like 'go for walks' and so on. I'm really happy we've moved up here, just need to give MaliTowers a lick of paint, and stick it on the market now, I guess, as it seems we might stay up here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You are all kinds of awesome Malia.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:33 
baron of techno

TheVision wrote:

:this:

I'm not even being sarcastic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:37 
INFINITE POWAH

:this: also.

glad to hear it's working out well, sir.

Is it the Bingley of "Bradford &"?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:41 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:

I'm not sure what has prompted this, but thanks.

SKY have sent me a thingymadoodah which is a T-Mobile broadband USB thing in lieu of not having a fucking internet connection until the 7th October, 10 days tardy from there greatest estimate. I'm only allowed 1 gig per month for three months, but I don't understnad how much a gig is (Take That was £84 a ticket - MrsA). SO I came to the Wetherspoons to drink their 89p tea and an old lady has just told me all about how her internet doesn't work. So I told it it was sunspots. Deffo sunspots, as they cause EMP things to happen, and that's how they killed the robots in the Matrix. She seemed happy with this. But anyway, the dongle doesn't work in my basement, but my iPod can pick up the wireless signal from the redundant router as I'd turned it on, hoing to see the green lights of contact, but alas. I've used 40 meg so far, and would 1 gig get me through until a week friday? I'll be looking at simplyhired.co.uk (venture funded, doncha know) one a day and doing my emails every so often, but just reading them, and uploading my CV (67kb)to places about 4 times a day. Will it be enough?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:45 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
:this: also.

glad to hear it's working out well, sir.

Is it the Bingley of "Bradford &"?

You mean the MASSIVE BOARDED UP BUILDING BEHIND ME? Why, yes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:46 
baron of techno

Quote:
Will it be enough?

Yep.

Just stop uploading huge photos of Bingley.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:49 
Gogmagog

kalmar wrote:
Quote:
Will it be enough?

Yep.

Just stop uploading huge photos of Bingley.

Heh, this is Wetherspoon's bandwidth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:51 
INFINITE POWAH

I've never understood the etymology of the name "Wetherspoon", what with a "wether" being a castrated ram. Unless vets used to be seriously fucking evil.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:52 
Gogmagog

I need a haircut.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:52 
Excellent Member

and now from the designers of the Sheffield egg box and the arndale centre....

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
sad thing is I'm probably right

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 16:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I've never understood the etymology of the name "Wetherspoon", what with a "wether" being a castrated ram. Unless vets used to be seriously fucking evil.

It was the name of the founder's teacher, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 16:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

It was the name of the founder's teacher, I think.

Huh, how about that.

Does that mean that, historically, his teacher's antecedents used to dig out rams' balls with a spoon?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 60  Next