Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits & Bobs 39
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:17 

MaliA wrote:
Do you want the police deciding these groups, or the courts? Who decides who is worthy of protection?

Well, the police, seeing as they are the ones on the street, and have to deal with these incidents and their nasty consequences face to face.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:19 
Awesome
Yes

Attachment:
image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:34 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm not wholly comfortable with the reasoning behind any sort of "it's extra bad because of a specific motivation" offences. Any assault is serious, regardless of why the dick did it, and they should all be sentenced on the same, preferably harsh, basis. Getting stamped on is getting stamped on, whatever the stampers are shouting while they do it.

Yes, me, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:35 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm not wholly comfortable with the reasoning behind any sort of "it's extra bad because of a specific motivation" offences. Any assault is serious, regardless of why the dick did it, and they should all be sentenced on the same, preferably harsh, basis. Getting stamped on is getting stamped on, whatever the stampers are shouting while they do it.

Yes, me, too.

Next step, thought crime. /Daily Mail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:45 
Bad Girl

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yes, me, too.

That's works fine in a truly equal society where people don't kill each other because they look a bit different. But we don't live in that society and the extra deterrent is so people know that there is zero tolerance to discrimination.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:50 
Gogmagog

Should we trust the police to decide who gets that extra protection in a fair and unbiased fashion?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:53 
Bad Girl

You're talking about policing rather than sentencing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:54 
Bad Girl

Anyway, who else is going to police the police?

*waits for Homer meme*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:55 
Gogmagog

I have been since twenty to three.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Saturnalian wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yes, me, too.

That's works fine in a truly equal society where people don't kill each other because they look a bit different. But we don't live in that society and the extra deterrent is so people know that there is zero tolerance to discrimination.

How does that remotely follow? That only makes sense if people are more likely to kill someone because they're racist or whatever, and will simultaneously be more likely to be deterred by a higher sentence (the two, of course, not sitting well together). I'm not sure there's any evidence that's actually true.

I'd rather no one killed anyone, and we had sentencing that reflected that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Two thoughts just struck me- I have a very special weakness for those wee little sausages you put on sticks, and I really want to be the sort of person who applies for jobs advertised in the Economist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:02 
Bad Girl

MaliA wrote:
I have been since twenty to three.

Sorry, I thought you were responding to my post above yours about sentencing for hate crimes. Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:16 
Bad Girl

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yes, me, too.

How does that remotely follow? That only makes sense if people are more likely to kill someone because they're racist or whatever, and will simultaneously be more likely to be deterred by a higher sentence (the two, of course, not sitting well together). I'm not sure there's any evidence that's actually true.

I'm a little too tired today to debate that in full, but sentencing is supposed to act as a deterrent, you'll have to concede that. Whether it does in practice - probably not since all crime still exists.

In any event, sentencing is not black and white. You don't get X years for Crime A; Y for Crime B.

If you line up Crime A as attracting a punishment of X years then you'll have mitigating features that will reduce the sentence then you have aggravating features that will increase the sentence. Racial (or otherwise) motivation is clearly an aggravating factor.

If someone attacks another because of their race or whatever, then a sharper punishment ought follow because it's abhorrent, socially unacceptable etc etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Saturnalian wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yes, me, too.

I'm a little too tired today to debate that in full, but sentencing is supposed to act as a deterrent, you'll have to concede that. Whether it does in practice - probably not since all crime still exists.

I wasn't arguing that - I was arguing that the idea that if one sort of crime is worse due to a fundamentally irrational motivation then that would mean that a higher sentence would logically not act as a greater deterrent against those irrational fuckheads.

Quote:
In any event, sentencing is not black and white.
It is for racially aggravated assault, oho.

Quote:
You don't get X years for Crime A; Y for Crime B.

Yes, I'm aware of how sentencing works.

Quote:
If you line up Crime A as attracting a punishment of X years then you'll have mitigating features that will reduce the sentence then you have aggravating features that will increase the sentence. Racial (or otherwise) motivation is clearly an aggravating factor.

If someone attacks another because of their race or whatever, then a sharper punishment ought follow because it's abhorrent, socially unacceptable etc etc etc.

Is it more or less abhorrent than assaulting someone because they spilt their pint?

I genuinely don't see why the motivation makes one crime "worse" than another. Guy A attacks Guy B over Guy B looking at Guy A's bird funny (he did no such thing) and puts him in hospital leaving him without the use of his legs. Guy Z attacks Guy Y because he's black and puts him in hospital and leaves him without the use of his legs. Why should the latter crime have a higher penalty, when the effect on the victim is the same? Why is the former victim's pain and suffering worth less deterrence?

They're both fucking horrible crimes, and to say "well, one victim was black/gay/female therefore it's worse" is just wrong. Because the flipside is that the other "non aggravated" victim wasn't worth as much bother.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:28 
Skillmeister

As far as I'm aware the measures being taken by Manchester police isn't changing the sentencing at all. It's simply recording whether the person being attacked is a member of a subculture to determine if that was a motivating factor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:30 
INFINITE POWAH

Dimrill wrote:
As far as I'm aware the measures being taken by Manchester police isn't changing the sentencing at all. It's simply recording whether the person being attacked is a member of a subculture to determine if that was a motivating factor.

Yep, that was my understanding as well. Very sensible thing to do. You can't police properly without knowing where the various risks lie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:31 
Skillmeister

Excellent. Hoo-hah over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:35 
INFINITE POWAH

I WANT TO ARGUE BORING TECHNICAL LAW STUFF WITH SATURNALIAN LIKE THE MASSIVE TEDE I AM.

Ahem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:35 
Gogmagog

But . What if, in manchester police's eyes, some sub cultures are more equal than others? As i mentioned 7 hours previous.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:38 
Skillmeister

What if we all lived on the moon in space bears and shot at each other with mind cannon fists?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:40 
Bad Girl

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Why should the latter crime have a higher penalty, when the effect on the victim is the same? Why is the former victim's pain and suffering worth less deterrence?

Sentencing isn't compensatory punishment for the victim.

If you break someone's legs after getting drunk you'll get the punishment and the adjustments for the circumstances.

If you break someone's legs because they're black then you're a special kind of danger to the public.

Of course, if you're a loon who breaks people's legs cause you're a dangerous irrational psychopath, well, you'll probably get a steep punishment anyway for being a loon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:44 
Bad Girl

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I WANT TO ARGUE BORING TECHNICAL LAW STUFF WITH SATURNALIAN LIKE THE MASSIVE TEDE I AM.

Ahem

It's Friday, man, and The Walking Dead finale is on in 15 minutes.

Did you learn all about QOWCS though?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:58 
INFINITE POWAH

Saturnalian wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Why should the latter crime have a higher penalty, when the effect on the victim is the same? Why is the former victim's pain and suffering worth less deterrence?

Sentencing isn't compensatory punishment for the victim.
You know full well that wasn't what I was getting at, chap.

Quote:
If you break someone's legs after getting drunk you'll get the punishment and the adjustments for the circumstances.

If you break someone's legs because they're black then you're a special kind of danger to the public.

Of course, if you're a loon who breaks people's legs cause you're a dangerous irrational psychopath, well, you'll probably get a steep punishment anyway for being a loon.

All of which is within the judge's discretion within sentencing, and quite rightly so. However, there doesn't need to be a special crime for the one category.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 21:59 
INFINITE POWAH

Saturnalian wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Ahem

It's Friday, man, and The Walking Dead finale is on in 15 minutes.

I've got several episodes to catch up on, and am instead watching the Adjustment Bureau and then more of Happy Endings (it's great!)

Quote:
Did you learn all about QOWCS though?

I learnt what the acronym stood for, which was enough for me. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:05 
INFINITE POWAH

Dimrill wrote:
What if we all lived on the moon in space bears and shot at each other with mind cannon fists?

We should totally do that. But the fists should be made from marshmallow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:08 

Speaking about attacks on minorities, I find it terrifying how the local buses now have posters on them about reporting and recognising disability hate crime. I mean, that was all practically unknown, or at least extremely rare, just 3 or 4 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:16 
Skillmeister

Yes but everybody on disability benefits are lazy shirkers who are scamming the system. The papers tell me everyday. And I watch Saints or Scroungers on BBC TV too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:17 
Gogmagog

Dimrill wrote:

Should the police get to decide to treat the mods or the rockers more favorably? Two sub cultures in society.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Anonymous X wrote:
Speaking about attacks on minorities, I find it terrifying how the local buses now have posters on them about reporting and recognising disability hate crime. I mean, that was all practically unknown, or at least extremely rare, just 3 or 4 years ago.

I've got a 20 year old nephew with severe disabilities so know and have known quite a few people who are disabled or who are related to disabled people, through his schools. Disability hate crime is not new.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:26 

It's definitely not, but the extent of it certainly is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:28 
INFINITE POWAH

Anonymous X wrote:
It's definitely not, but the extent of it certainly is.

Again, I don't know if that's true. Have you got some figures showing that absolute numbers of offences have gone up (rather than number of reported offences going up due to greater awareness etc)? This is a genuine question, rather than me being argumentative.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:29 
Skillmeister

MaliA wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Should the police get to decide to treat the mods or the rockers more favorably? Two sub cultures in society.

The police in Manchester aren't treating anyone more favourably. They're recording whether the victim of violent crime is a member of a subculture. It's not altering the way they're dealing with crime on a day to day basis at all. They're not providing armed guards for goths. They're not cracking down on roving bands of football fans. They're simply establishing motive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:39 
INFINITE POWAH

FFS, why does HIGNFY take longer than everything else to get up on iplayer? Tonight's episode of Not Fucking Going Fucking Out is already on there FFS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:53 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Have you got some figures showing that absolute numbers of offences have gone up (rather than number of reported offences going up due to greater awareness etc)?

How could anyone have those sorts of figures, though? By definition, the figure would be the number of reported offences, surely?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:57 
INFINITE POWAH

GazChap wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Have you got some figures showing that absolute numbers of offences have gone up (rather than number of reported offences going up due to greater awareness etc)?

How could anyone have those sorts of figures, though? By definition, the figure would be the number of reported offences, surely?

IIRC, the British Crime Survey does just that. However, it would still leave it open to question whether things were recorded or recognised as specifically being crime X motivated by hatred of disabled people rather than just crime X.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 0:05 
Worst

MaliA wrote:
Should we trust the police to decide who gets that extra protection in a fair and unbiased fashion?

It's not extra protection. The goth/emo has already been attacked. It just gets logged as a hate crime. I suppose, after a few years, they will test the statistical significance and make some suggestions based on that.

The question is not 'what they shout while they stamp on someone'; it's 'the reason they are stamping on someone in the first place'.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:06 
Just started watching Arrested Development.

Man it's good. Why did I wait so long to watch it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:07 

nickachu wrote:
Just started watching Arrested Development.

Man it's good. Why did I wait so long to watch it.

:this:

I don't think I'd even heard of it until I got it as a Christmas present back in 2011.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 
INFINITE POWAH

throughsilver wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It's not extra protection. The goth/emo has already been attacked. It just gets logged as a hate crime. I suppose, after a few years, they will test the statistical significance and make some suggestions based on that.

The question is not 'what they shout while they stamp on someone'; it's 'the reason they are stamping on someone in the first place'.

Well, it sort of may be. "Fuck you you fucking goth freak" would be a give away. I think you know what I meant - I was using "what they shout" as a crude example of the "the reason".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 14:10 
Kvnt

Fuck my hat if throwing a Golden Dawn MP into the sea isn't the most beautiful act...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 15:01 
Gogmagog

I was walking into Shipley to buy some more chemicals and rags when a car slowed down. It was a Hyundai Coupe had three young lads in it.They expressed their liking of my rucksack in street patois over the noise of their syncopated music in It was an uplifting moment on a sunny day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 16:30 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
I was walking into Shipley to buy some more chemicals and rags when a car slowed down. It was a Hyundai Coupe had three young lads in it.They expressed their liking of my rucksack in street patois over the noise of their syncopated music in It was an uplifting moment on a sunny day.

"Oy Mitchell, you have a nancy bag you unfunny wanker".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 17:54 
Gogmagog

Cock. Just dropped my phone on the floor. Screen cracked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 17:57 
Decapodian

MaliA wrote:

What was it? Some are surprisingly cheap and simple to fix.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:00 
Gogmagog

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Galaxy S2. This isn't one of those, is it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 19:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

New tv got, it's very lovely :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 19:50 
Decapodian

MaliA wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Nope. 70 quid for the parts by the look of it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 19:59 
Gogmagog

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Nope. 70 quid for the parts by the look of it.

Lovely. Ta. I shall check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:00 

Quote:
In 2011 the captain of a Boeing 767 was unable to gain re-entry to the flight deck having taken a short break, with the plane airborne over the London area.

He used an emergency code to get in, to find the first officer unconscious. He came round on shaking.

Dr Rob Hunter, head of flight safety at Balpa, said: "A pilot falls asleep on the flight deck on a UK-registered airplane at least once in every 24 hours - and probably a lot more than that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22051197

8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:34 

Shouldn't be a safety concern though, as there's usually at least two pilots on board in the cockpit, sometimes three - right?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next