Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Cheap" iPhone
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:08 
baron of techno

richardgaywood wrote:
all the GPS satellites are synchronised, and by examining the differences in time at the receiver end and making some calculations from the speed of light, it can calculate how far it is from each satellite.

Do they notice relativity effects at all?
(Is that what it's called? The thing where time slows down when you go faster?). Those satellites whizz around pretty quick..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think it's fair to say 'ignore GPS capabilities until they are proved otherwise'. They could be handy in an emergency (like my N95 has been) but it's not going to replace your TomTom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 

richardgaywood wrote:
Given all this, the mystery isn't that some receivers are slow to obtain a lock-on; the mystery is how on God's green Earth modern GPS systems like the £30 Bluetooth one I bought can, inside of 10 seconds, acquire a lock on inside a car and start reporting position. Beats the shit out of me.

Yeah I noticed Medion now do a complete in car GPS road map, speed camera, everything system, with a screen for £40.

Fucking crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
I think it's fair to say 'ignore GPS capabilities until they are proved otherwise'. They could be handy in an emergency (like my N95 has been) but it's not going to replace your TomTom.

TBH I was sort of hoping for an external (magically working and good antenna) bluetooth GPS thing to go with TomTom software on the phone - that would work with the old iPhone too.

On the other hand, if the built in GPS is really a good one (and no reason it shouldn't be other than cost, I think), it's neat to have it all in one box.

I wonder if this is why they made the back out of plastic on the new one?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 

kalmar wrote:
Do they notice relativity effects at all? (Is that what it's called? The thing where time slows down when you go faster?). Those satellites whizz around pretty quick..
I would have said off the top of my head that they aren't going quick enough but I would have been wrong. Each GPS clock is very minutely adjusted to run slow, which is compensated for because they run faster in space than they would on the Earth's surface as they're in a weaker gravitational field (note that this is General relativity, not Special relativity; Wikipedia explains more).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 
Where are you?

Regarding VOIP, Jobs has already said Apple's fine with such software appearing on the phone. Ultimately, it makes naff-all difference to O2 anyway. You're already paying for the contract, so it really makes no odds if you do some of your talking using something like Skype. For my wife, that would be ideal—she'd use the minutes in the UK, but Skype to call her friends and family in Iceland.

The pricing, however, is a surprise. I was very much expecting the usual Apple conversion, which would have resulted in (approximately) a £139 iPhone. Clearly, Apple is seriously going for marketshare here, and it's no surprise. People who review this kind of stuff for a living are often saying that this is the first time the technology's really worked. Yes, the phone has a few major shortcomings, but the UI and syncing are so good that it doesn't matter.

Plissken wrote:
Assuming it gets ramped up to 16/32Gb in 9 months or so, are we looking at a price rise then or will the "old" 8Gb model still be available?

The usual Apple way is to dump the lowest model and install the upgrades at the same price-point. That might not be the case for iPhone, but I think it's fairly likely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 

CraigGrannell wrote:
the UI and syncing are so good that it doesn't matter.
It's no coincidence that the me.com service was announced yesterday either. Cloud based contact and calender sync for iPhones could be a nice little earner for Apple.

CraigGrannell wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Assuming it gets ramped up to 16/32Gb in 9 months or so, are we looking at a price rise then or will the "old" 8Gb model still be available?

The usual Apple way is to dump the lowest model and install the upgrades at the same price-point. That might not be the case for iPhone, but I think it's fairly likely.
I would previously have said that the opposite; that we would see existing models become cheaper as the iPhone market diversifies to different price points. Compare with the early days of the iPod, with the introduction of the Mini and then the Shuffle. However, at the current price points, it's difficult to see it getting much cheaper! So I guess I reckon you're right Craig.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 
baron of techno

CraigGrannell wrote:
Regarding VOIP, Jobs has already said Apple's fine with such software appearing on the phone. Ultimately, it makes naff-all difference to O2 anyway. You're already paying for the contract, so it really makes no odds if you do some of your talking using something like Skype. For my wife, that would be ideal—she'd use the minutes in the UK, but Skype to call her friends and family in Iceland.

I've got Skype on mine, it works as well as VOIP normally does (that is to say, not quite as well as you'd hope) but it's usable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 

It's just a shame it's still O2 only. I'm due a new phone and that's now pretty much literally the only thing stopping me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 

If you went to O2 you couldn't you also get cheaper broadband Dudley (you're with Be if I remember right?).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 

Yes but I'd also be with O2. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:43 
Where are you?

More interesting tidbits sneaking out. This one from MacFormat:
Quote:
However you upgrade, you get to keep your existing phone and either migrate a friend onto a contract with O2 or pop in a pay-as-you-go SIM.

richardgaywood wrote:
It's no coincidence that the me.com service was announced yesterday either. Cloud based contact and calender sync for iPhones could be a nice little earner for Apple.

Mm. If Apple can sort out the occasionally shocking connection and speed problems that have affected .Mac, its web service has suddenly gone from "you pay for that? IDIOT!" to something that could potentially be good value.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 

Dudley wrote:
Yes but I'd also be with O2. :)

What's up with that? Just that none of their plans suit you or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:14 

3 is the only people who've successfully ever managed to give me phone reception everywhere I go and they've done nothing to piss me off. Also I want to keep my number and transferring is liable to be hell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 

Dudley wrote:
3 is the only people who've successfully ever managed to give me phone reception everywhere I go and they've done nothing to piss me off.
Fair enough. After five years with Orange, I've been with O2 for six months and found them very pleasant. They keep giving me stuff (e.g. 30 off peak minutes a month for some random reason), their website is very nice, and I get english-speaking people in the call centres.

Quote:
Also I want to keep my number and transferring is liable to be hell.
It is very easy these days as it is ruthlessly regulated by OfCom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 

Dudley wrote:
3 is the only people who've successfully ever managed to give me phone reception everywhere I go and they've done nothing to piss me off. Also I want to keep my number and transferring is liable to be hell.
Transferring is easy and painless (half an hour on the phone at most), I usually do it whenever my contract expires to get the best deals. Also your experience of 3 is the opposite of mine, they were hopeless round here, although they were a fairly new operator then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 13:45 

Then maybe I'll look into it once it's all announced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What's so good about the iPhone's synching, anyway - is the new one going to do it wirelessly?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:00 

Grim... wrote:
What's so good about the iPhone's synching, anyway - is the new one going to do it wirelessly?
Yeah, this me.com service is over the air.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's neat. It's always a bonus when I walk near a wifi spot I've got details for and my Zune informs me it's got a new podcast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:06 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

You own a Zune? Are they actually, you know, any good? I liked the look of them, but having never ever physically seen one (still not even released here, are they?) I've not been really tempted. I'm just using my W800i Walkman at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think it's very good.
I've got the 80gb version from the USA (via eBay) for about £120, and I can't complain about it, really. Battery life is a little short (especially if you leave the wireless on all weekend) but wireless synch (like I said above) is super-ace, as is the sound quality.
[edit]You have to jump through a few hoops to get remote synch working - normal wireless synch only works on a PC with the Zune software (which is rubbish, but no worse than the horror that is iTunes).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:27 

What's actually wrong with iTunes? Everyone says that it is crap but I've had various versions on my PC for a few years and haven't ever struggled to do anything I've wanted to or noticed it doing anything intrusive to my computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:33 

I agree with MarkG actually. I'm normally the first to get frustrated by bits of software that do stuff for me but iTunes has never annoyed me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:34 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Might have to look in to that. Do you know, perchance, does the Wireless syncing work if I have

Zune --> Wireless Router --> Access Point --> Ethernet PC?

The PC used to have a wifi card but it's much easier to have the AP these days, as it feeds the Xbox and 360 as well.

Also, iTunes *on the Mac* is quite nice and usable. *On the PC* I found it to be horribly slow, clunky, and kept wanting me to download Safari. I've just gone back to using Winamp after a few years of being a QCD/QMP man.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:40 

markg wrote:
What's actually wrong with iTunes? Everyone says that it is crap but I've had various versions on my PC for a few years and haven't ever struggled to do anything I've wanted to or noticed it doing anything intrusive to my computer.

It's REALLY hideously slow, has a bizzare interface on windows (may be 2nd nature to mac heads), installs several pieces of what I would term malware that are always resident (including an "ipod helper" even if you don't own one) and forces you to install quicktime even if you don't want it.

All of these were true 2 years ago, I haven't touched it since. Any program that couldn't play a simple video podcast on an AMD 3500+ deserved scorn. The same files were a breeze in VLC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:53 

To be fair though, iTunes originated on the Mac where QuickTime is a core component of the OS, so it's not that surprising the Windows version requires you to install it. Same with regards to the UI, it's very in keeping with the Mac OS - though I agree it does look out of place on Windows.

Still, since abandoning the Mac in favour of a self-built PC, I still use iTunes all the while for my music.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sheepeh wrote:
Might have to look in to that. Do you know, perchance, does the Wireless syncing work if I have

Zune --> Wireless Router --> Access Point --> Ethernet PC?

Yup. Assuming the PC has the Zune software on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:06 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I'll have to have a look-see and check the Zune stuff works with XP x64, but I feel a potential purchase coming on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:14 

Sheepeh wrote:
XP x64
I ran XP 64 on the desktop for six months. I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:16 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

richardgaywood wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:
XP x64
I ran XP 64 on the desktop for six months. I feel your pain.

I've run it since it came out. No problems here, I'm just aware that for a £120 purchase I should check first :)

Seriously, I'm not sure where the XP x64 hate comes from. Sure it had no drivers to begin with, but with SP2 it's just as compatible as Vista is, and more stable to boot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Download the software first and see if it installs. I run all my games in the XP64 mode of my dual-boot PC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:23 
Excellent Member

Access 2007 ODBC drivers don't work. Or is that Win2k3 64-bit.

Anyway, a bit more iTunes love here. Well, I wouldn't go as far as "love", but as long as it got its fair share of rounds in or something. It isn't perfect and it is slowing down as I get a *really* big music collection into it, but it is better than just about anything I've found for managing 11,000+ MP3s.

Which is a bit like saying it is "Holland's Greatest Mountaineer". I still half fancy writing my own Music Manager in VB.NET, just so it works exactly how I want it to.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:24 

Sheepeh wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure where the XP x64 hate comes from. Sure it had no drivers to begin with, but with SP2 it's just as compatible as Vista is, and more stable to boot.
It does suffer on driver support here and there. Admittedly the only pain I felt on my workstation was having to run some cockingly old ATI driver and iTunes not being able to import CDs. However it was a work machine for work stuff so I didn't really push the envelope with its software loadout anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:25 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

The "x64" version complains it's not running on Vista. But it's just a .inf it's checking and with a little tweaking, it installed perfectly well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:26 

Sheepeh wrote:
The "x64" version complains it's not running on Vista. But it's just a .inf it's checking and with a little tweaking, it installed perfectly well.
Yeah I know that. Which makes the fact that the MSI doesn't work out of the box all the more offensive and indicative that XP64 is something of a redheaded stepchild. As it happens I didn't import any CDs those six months, and hence never had to solve the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:31 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I meant the Zune one, specifically. iTunes installed with no fiddling, and worked 100%. And then got uninstalled. I've had to "tweak" maybe..oooh...4 things since installing this OS, and at least 2 of those were no-cd cracks to get round invasive copy protection drivers that simply won't install on X64.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Plissken wrote:
Access 2007 ODBC drivers don't work.

Good. There's a special place in hell for apps that use ODBC connections to Access back ends.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:43 

Sheepeh wrote:
I'll have to have a look-see and check the Zune stuff works with XP x64, but I feel a potential purchase coming on.

Since this has come up, I actually completely stopped using itunes when they broke it on x64... and didn't tell anyone. It just randomly stopped working one version.

I dare say that's fixed now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I couldn't install it when I got the iPhone a month or so ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:59 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Access 2007 ODBC drivers don't work.

Good. There's a special place in hell for apps that use ODBC connections to Access back ends.

Sometimes you need it to do something. And we needed it to do something.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:05 
making out to faces of death

Dudley wrote:
simple video utterly normal downloadable audio file

This particular board filter I think has outlived its hilarity by some months now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:25 

I was wondering whether that was a board filter - what's it supposed to say?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:26 

I think it might be Podcast

Edit - That confirms it then. Pod Cast (but without the space)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:26 
baron of techno

podcats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:27 
Can you dig it?

p o d cast, I believe.

Can you dig it?

kalmar wrote:
podcats

Always shitting in my flowerbeds >:(

baron of techno

Or perhaps, indeed, spodcast.

Taxalot: set fire to their nest, that's the beteo way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 17:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Really.
/shouts
Oh, Myoptika?

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 117  Next