Bits and Bobs 50
50 shades of bits
Mr Chonks wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Happy Birthday dude. You’re rapidly approaching the age when your clothes will be cool ;)

Mali has been 40 for a long, long time. His chronological age has now finally caught up.

: )
Happy birthday!

Giphy "red shirt holiday":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/7mZ2ORZVECCac/giphy-loop.mp4
TIL that people and mammals born totally blind, though lacking the photoreceptors that allow most others to ‘see’ still have pupils that contract in light, because they still have sensors that do not process but can still DETECT blue light, which is the light wave that the body uses to set circadian rhythms. So, the eyes allow the body to detect blue light and process sleep patterns even if they do not detect light in the form of images.
Happy birthday Mali. x
Happy birthday Mali!
I am learning about industry 4.0. i have to say 'Internet of things' is my new fav phrase.
I'm surprised you've never heard that before, even MaliA knew about it back in 2016.
KovacsC wrote:
I am learning about industry 4.0. i have to say 'Internet of things' is my new fav phrase.

Wash your mouth out.
Mimi wrote:
TIL that people and mammals born totally blind, though lacking the photoreceptors that allow most others to ‘see’ still have pupils that contract in light, because they still have sensors that do not process but can still DETECT blue light, which is the light wave that the body uses to set circadian rhythms. So, the eyes allow the body to detect blue light and process sleep patterns even if they do not detect light in the form of images.

That's a hell of a bit and a Bob.
How's your morning been?

Mine's been shitty.
Warhead wrote:
How's your morning been?

Mine's been shitty.

Sorry to hear that. You OK?

Mine's been bloody chaos.
Jem wrote:
Warhead wrote:
How's your morning been?

Mine's been shitty.

Take your sweater off before ironing it
Shirt is the wrong colour
Now that’s what I call Malicool.
Internet of Thongs.

Happy Birthday MaliA

Bamba wrote:
I'm surprised you've never heard that before, even MaliA knew about it back in 2016.

Known it as IOT and IIOT. did not ask more
happy birthday mali! superb picture :D
Warhead wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That's a hell of a bit and a Bob.

I couldn’t think where else to put it, really. There’s a thread I’llof interesting things to read, but this was in a book.
Jem wrote:
Warhead wrote:
How's your morning been?

Mine's been shitty.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things it’s just a blip. Three hours trying to get a till software build finished in Liverpool, using quite poor instructions and constantly having to tell customers who want me to serve them that I don’t work there and the till is closed, even after putting a ‘Till closed’ sign on the front of the till.

The afternoon wasn’t a lot better. I had to abandon my scheduled jobs to get back to Manchester for a priority call on a bakery ticket printing PC that had ‘lost comms,’ only to find it was just powered off. Apparently the call handler had told local staff not to touch the machine and to wait for an engineer. Clearly they hadn’t done their job in asking the caller the basics like ‘is it plugged in’ and ‘is it switched on?’ It’s annoying and a waste of time.

What sort of chaos was yours?
Warhead wrote:
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things it’s just a blip. Three hours trying to get a till software build finished in Liverpool, using quite poor instructions and constantly having to tell customers who want me to serve them that I don’t work there and the till is closed, even after putting a ‘Till closed’ sign on the front of the till.

The afternoon wasn’t a lot better. I had to abandon my scheduled jobs to get back to Manchester for a priority call on a bakery ticket printing PC that had ‘lost comms,’ only to find it was just powered off. Apparently the call handler had told local staff not to touch the machine and to wait for an engineer. Clearly they hadn’t done their job in asking the caller the basics like ‘is it plugged in’ and ‘is it switched on?’ It’s annoying and a waste of time.

What sort of chaos was yours?

Argh, I think that last one would have had me raging >:(

Usual stuff really - kids, work, life. Just trying to juggle everything and failing miserably :DD
I am working in Kings Cross today. Just opposite the google building
Although St Pancras is the better station (and cleary beats the pants off Gare du Nord and Brussels Midi), standing on the upper floor at Kings Cross watching tourists queue for the Harry Potter trolley is one of travel's little joys.
Not been in kings cross for over 15 years. It was a dive then.
Isn't St Pancras opposite Google?
Fun fact: the video for "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls was filmed in the St Pancras Hotel.
Grim... wrote:
Isn't St Pancras opposite Google?

Yes. I am looking at the google building from my meeting room

In St. Pancras?

Will you still be there at ~18:30?
Grim... wrote:

In St. Pancras?

Will you still be there at ~18:30?

My train is 17:49... i can see if i can get a later train
Did he do it, folks? We may never know...
He’s behind you!
Sorry. Had issues with signal in the building.
A friend of mine announced on Facebook today that she'd had a baby yesterday. However, it was a stealth pregnancy and the first she knew about being pregnant was the day before, when her labour pains started. She's over the moon about it and coping far better with such a dramatic change of life than I would be - I get anxious if my weekend's plans change at short notice, let alone anything more life-changing. :)
Holy Jesus Fuck, that must be terrifying. Good for her for not freaking the hell out.
Wow! I’ve heard of this happening but it seems so alien to me. I knew I was pregnant five days before my period was due. I just felt different and something just sparked the notion that I was. Massively well done on her on handling that situation and sharing her joy, and I’m really glad she IS joyous with it, and I hope she loves her surprise motherhood. I hope she has people who can help put together a bit of support and baby are basics.
I’m going to make Darwin’s Halloween costume for nursery. Just a sweatshirt with 2/3 cute bedsheet ghosts on it. I want it to be wearable throughout the year, not just Halloween (hate the waste otherwise) and wondered if there was any non Halloween specific ghost/ghoul/spectre puns I could add. Any ideas?
I'm the same Mimi, can't even comprehend not knowing, although in my case it was hard to be unaware as I was retching my guts up night and day and was the size of a whale by week 12 despite dramatic weight loss :DD
Jem wrote:
I'm the same Mimi, can't even comprehend not knowing, although in my case it was hard to be unaware as I was retching my guts up night and day and was the size of a whale by week 12 despite dramatic weight loss :DD

Did you increase in density?
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Did you increase in density?

I mean, I've always been pretty dense.
Jem wrote:

Dense with awesomeness.
Mimi wrote:
I’m going to make Darwin’s Halloween costume for nursery. Just a sweatshirt with 2/3 cute bedsheet ghosts on it. I want it to be wearable throughout the year, not just Halloween (hate the waste otherwise) and wondered if there was any non Halloween specific ghost/ghoul/spectre puns I could add. Any ideas?

"This is my grave face"
Mimi wrote:

The only one that readily springs to mind is the one I have on this t-shirt
Mimi wrote:

Simply Satanic.

My dad's more evil than your dad.

Look at me and I'll smite you.

Hell? Yeah!

Hi, I'm Darwin, God's worst nightmare.

I see dead people (help me)
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Dense with awesomeness.

You say all the right things :luv:
Jem wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Dense with awesomeness.

You say all the right things :luv:

Honesty, innit.
Mimi wrote:

"I'm like a pumpkin. I glow inside"

"Mildly Lycanthropic"
Jem wrote:
I've been umming and ahhing about getting a labret piercing for 18 months+ and at this point the only thing putting me off is the fact I don't know how to say it.

La-bret, lab-ret, lay-bret, lab-ray, something else I hadn't even thought of?

And no, the wikipedia article on labret - despite specifically referencing pronunciation - doesn't really help at all.

I am aware of how stupid that is.

Turns out it's la-bret.
Jem wrote:
Jem wrote:
I've been umming and ahhing about getting a labret piercing for 18 months+ and at this point the only thing putting me off is the fact I don't know how to say it.

La-bret, lab-ret, lay-bret, lab-ray, something else I hadn't even thought of?

And no, the wikipedia article on labret - despite specifically referencing pronunciation - doesn't really help at all.

I am aware of how stupid that is.

Turns out it's la-bret.

Conversely, I knew how it was pronounced but not where it went, so I've just been on the wikipedia page too for a different reason. :)
Page 70 of 100 [ 4953 posts ]