Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 30
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:42 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
There is at least one person here who will stuff the toilet full of paper, THEN do a shit in it. They're clearly doing it deliberately to block the toilet and cause work for the cleaner. It's odd as hell. There are also one or more people who have such explosive shits that it gets poo on the outside of the toilet bowl, in defiance of all known laws of physics.

You say "here". Do you mean on this forum?

And you wonder why I'm not coming to your cottaging weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:44 
INFINITE POWAH

Heh.

I meant at my current employer.

People also seem averse to washing their hands. Related etiquette point - is it permissible to call people out on walking out without washing their hands?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 
Sleepyhead

That's weird. I would be freaked out seeing someone fail to wash their hands.

In our office there seem to be a fair few people who go into the cubicles to pee, and then pee all over the seat.

It's just weird. People are stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Heh.

I meant at my current employer.

People also seem averse to washing their hands. Related etiquette point - is it permissible to call people out on walking out without washing their hands?

Pleasingly, everyone here washes their hands. I haven't witnessed a single person not do so in the 5 weeks I've been here so far.

Although I did see someone use the Dyson hand-dryer as if he was Vic Reeves rubbing his thighs, despite clear instructions on the machine to pull your hands out slowly, and water getting blown all over his shirt and trousers. Freak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:15 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I was facilities manager for a couple of years and you'd be amazed at the crazy things people do in their work places, and not just in the loos. We had some log layers who never flushed, some who deliberately blocked the loos before flushing, or left the plugs in basins and left the taps running, or stole the plugs from all the basins, stuck superglue in door locks, crapped all over the cubicle floors, pissed in the conference room hot water flasks, put food waste in the paper recycling bins, etc, etc, etc, etc........ And I know this happens all over the place, as I had a lot of contact with other building managers.

Most of the time we never found out who did these things, though we had our suspicions. The annoying thing was, it was always the cleaners or facilities people who had to sort these things out, so if these people had a grievance against the organisation (as opposed to just being bonkers) they were targeting the wrong people.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:17 
Kvnt

Do those "home data entry" or "home typist" type scams tend to find their way onto actual jobsearch/agency/recruitment websites, or are they likely to be legit if they're on something like indeed.co.uk?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:20 
Chinny chin chin

Warhead wrote:
I was facilities manager for a couple of years and you'd be amazed at the crazy things people do in their work places, and not just in the loos. We had some log layers who never flushed, some who deliberately blocked the loos before flushing, or left the plugs in basins and left the taps running, or stole the plugs from all the basins, stuck superglue in door locks, crapped all over the cubicle floors, pissed in the conference room hot water flasks, put food waste in the paper recycling bins, etc, etc, etc, etc........ And I know this happens all over the place, as I had a lot of contact with other building managers.

Most of the time we never found out who did these things, though we had our suspicions.

Hmmmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:32 
Awesome
Yes

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Most of the time we never found out who did these things, though we had our suspicions.

Hmmmmm.

:attitude:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:47 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
The new one looks similar and has the same PSU connection. Thankfully however I checked the pinout and it has the 12v and ground reversed from all my other caddies. This is important as I tend to keep one PSU next to the computer and just bring the enclosures to it (I have about 12 with old projects on).
Ghetto solution: you could probably wire a polarity inverter dongle from a few quid in parts from Maplin/eBay, assuming it's a standard barrel connector. Then keep one next to each PSU and put a bright reminder sticker on the enclosures that need the dongle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:50 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
The new one looks similar and has the same PSU connection. Thankfully however I checked the pinout and it has the 12v and ground reversed from all my other caddies. This is important as I tend to keep one PSU next to the computer and just bring the enclosures to it (I have about 12 with old projects on).
Ghetto solution: you could probably wire a polarity inverter dongle from a few quid in parts from Maplin/eBay, assuming it's a standard barrel connector. Then keep one next to each PSU and put a bright reminder sticker on the enclosures that need the dongle.

I don't want any differences at all if I can help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:51 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
polarity inverter dongle

Jesus, as if this place isn't a complete nerdgasm already today.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:52 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I would love to see a ghetto where wiring polarity inverter dongles is commonplace...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:53 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Ghetto solution

Dr G, we didn't take time out from scrapping with Napoleon to go all the fucking way to Washington, burn down the US capital building, because frankly, awesome, and return to fighting with France for you, 117 years later, to pop over there and bring their bad habits back with you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:54 
Hibernating Druid

Curiosity wrote:
I would love to see a ghetto where wiring polarity inverter dongles is commonplace...

I imagine the same ghetto to be filled with womp rats.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I imagine the same ghetto to be filled with womp rats.

L-LOL.

ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

Racist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:56 

Curiosity wrote:
Boom.

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Indeed, but if they don't make it any more then you can't help it.

MaliA wrote:
Dr G, we didn't take time out from scrapping with Napoleon to go all the fucking way to Washington, burn down the US capital building, because frankly, awesome, and return to fighting with France for you, 117 years later, to pop over there and bring their bad habits back with you.
I can't think of an equivalent British English neologism. Can you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:57 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Ghetto solution

Nonsense, he's describing a solution that a medieval Jew, housed in a restricted area of an Italian city-state, might use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 13:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I would have used "makeshift" or "jerryrigged" or "adhoc"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:00 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I like "jury-rigged" ( not to be confused with jerry-rigged - totally seperate! ). It has a pleasingly nautical air.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:00 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Boom.

That's not a ghetto. Try again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:01 
Sleepyhead

O.J. Simpson wrote:
I like "jury-rigged".

FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:03 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Boom.

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Indeed, but if they don't make it any more then you can't help it.

In that situation I'd find a enclosure that used a different connector to save confusion.

It's bad enough that as drives have got larger they have uprated the PSU's. So the old PSU's don't have enough welly to run the latest drives. So I make sure I only have newer PSU's around because they will run old and new drives.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:31 
INFINITE POWAH

NO APOST'OPHE, FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Score! Just got books 3-5 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series for 6 quid at Oxfam.

However, dear Mr Erikson - get your publisher to put the volume numbers on the books, eh, you bastard. That's how I ended up buying book 6 first.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 15:02 
Excellent Member

Oh, when people said there had been a fire at the hospital I didn't realise that part of it had actually burnt to the ground in under 4 mins 8)

*click*
"OI!"
"come along children let's all race to that corner over there, I bet I can be the winner!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 16:53 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
There is at least one person here who will stuff the toilet full of paper, THEN do a shit in it. They're clearly doing it deliberately to block the toilet and cause work for the cleaner. It's odd as hell. There are also one or more people who have such explosive shits that it gets poo on the outside of the toilet bowl, in defiance of all known laws of physics.

I have a friend who said he did this. It's to prevent splashback/a noise/something. I pointed out that it will just block toilets and suggested that he instead fashion a crude toilet paper sling.

I may have been joking. Who can tell?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 16:56 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Trooper wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I would have used "makeshift" or "jerryrigged" or "adhoc"

Makeshift is one of my favourite words.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 18:00 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

sinister agent wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I have a friend who said he did this. It's to prevent splashback/a noise/something. I pointed out that it will just block toilets and suggested that he instead fashion a crude toilet paper sling.

This is actually linked to a recognised medical condition. Linky. One of my friends suffered from being unable to use a public toilet for number twos, or other peoples houses, and it led to severe constipation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 18:16 
Comfortably Dumb

Squirt wrote:
I like "jury-rigged" ( not to be confused with jerry-rigged - totally seperate! ). It has a pleasingly nautical air.

I like 'jury-rigged' too as it reminds me of the excellent Buck Rogers game on the Mega Drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 18:52 
Excellent Member

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

This is actually linked to a recognised medical condition. Linky. One of my friends suffered from being unable to use a public toilet for number twos, or other peoples houses, and it led to severe constipation.

Someone I knew at uni once shared uni accommodation with a girl who refused to use the lavatory. Presumably she peed in the sink in her room. When she moved out, several dozen carrier bags were left under her bed, containing her excrement.

It turned out that I was staying in the very same room a few years later. ?:|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 18:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

WUT.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:01 
Excellent Member

Alarm wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Someone I knew at uni once shared uni accommodation with a girl who refused to use the lavatory. Presumably she peed in the sink in her room. When she moved out, several dozen carrier bags were left under her bed, containing her excrement.

It turned out that I was staying in the very same room a few years later. ?:|

That is fucked up.

I won't use public toilets for doin' a poo. Or work toilets. But I definitely wouldn't put it in a bag under the bred.... That is seriously wrong.

Under the bred...teehee!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:04 
Excellent Member

It is messed up, yes. At least dispose of the bags!

I'm glad I wasn't haunted by poo phantoms. I wish I had moved out before I was told of the room's brown secret.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:45 
It's all pish

Eeyurch. I've just discovered where the earwig infestation in the house has been coming from. Turns out that one of the basement windows had a rotten frame, and was improperly sealed to boot. I think I flushed out a couple of hundred of the buggers from various cracks and gaps, including some nice albino ones. :spew:
I've temporarily sealed it, but it looks like a new window will be needed. I'll have to check the other windows as well, now.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 20:03 
Unpossible!

Malc74 wrote:
to boot

You've been in Canadia too long.

Ewww... earwigs :spew:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 20:21 
Kvnt

The worst I've endured was a housemate who always left tampons a-bobbin' in the toilet, like gory buoys in a sea of despair. I'm hardly squeamish when it comes to bodily secretions and suchlike, but this is a fairly unboss sight to behold when you're massively hung over and have decided to stay close the toilet, "just in case".

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
We kicked him out in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 22:06 

I've just tried to replace a cracked iPhone 4 screen and digitizer.

I've failed.

The screen, when turned on, just goes white and with multicolored pinstripes, that eventually all fade to black.

I don't know if this is my failure, or whether the replacement screen on eBay was just broken on delivery or something.

Gnnngh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:05 

Longines Symphonette wrote:
I understand now why the starlings swooped down and cracked open the shells of the snails and ate them.
Because if they didn't crack them open there would be a 15% chance the snails would survive?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ent-weird/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:09 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Someone who yacked up in a bin and just left it there for several days. Jamrags shoved down the side of the toilet. Maggots in a carrier bag left hanging off a drawer handle in the kitchen (the bin was full and closed. I decided against opening it, and just sealed and disposed of it entirely. It'll probably become the basis of some kind of horror film a couple of centuries from now). A urine sample left on a radiator. I have seen all this and more.

I think the "shite under the bed" wins, though. That's some seriously messed up psychology right there. Even if you had some kind of anxiety disorder, there's no reason not to at least dispose of the mess elsewhere.

Alarm wrote:
I wish I had moved out before I was told of the room's brown secret.

That's no way to talk about your staff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:13 
Chinny chin chin

Rumour has it that Apple are talking to the head of a well known company with a view to him being a replacement for Steve Jobs.

Rumour also has it that a Chinese firm has been asked to produce green screen LCD's for a budget iPhone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:33 
Sleepyhead

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Rumour has it that Apple are talking to the head of a well known company with a view to him being a replacement for Steve Jobs.

Is it Rupert Murdoch?

In gross-out news, I lived with a guy at University in halls who didn't wash or shower the entire time he was there. You could smell him from miles away. He was also a twat, and was obsessed with owls.

He was a proper freak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:49 
Comfortably Dumb

Today's Xbox update took a little while. Must be something exciting!

Major Nelson wrote:
There are no new features that will show up once your system has been updated.

This update is preparation for additional system enhancements coming to Xbox 360 later this year.

Oh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 
It's all pish

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Rumour also has it that a Chinese firm has been asked to produce green screen LCD's for a budget iPhone.

Is it Amstlad?
(Only 3 people will get that, and they'll all find it offensive.Ed.)

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

devilman wrote:
Today's Xbox update took a little while. Must be something exciting!

Major Nelson wrote:
There are no new features that will show up once your system has been updated.

This update is preparation for additional system enhancements coming to Xbox 360 later this year.

Oh.

I thought I noticed a change. On the screen where you confirm that you're buying something. They've mixed the menus up a bit so you can see what you're buying and not accidents buy it.... not that I have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Can I go in the dead room on mafia. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 
Unpossible!

KovacsC wrote:

You don't mess about!

Done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I think we should have a "freaky housemate pooping in bags" thread. These stories are funny, yet quite scary at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I just saw this lorry:

Last edited by DavPaz on Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
fixed image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 
Master of dodgy spelling....

DavPaz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

You don't mess about!

Done.

Thanks

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next