Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official BEEX Bestest Games Of All Time
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 15:45 
Chinny chin chin

RuySan wrote:
Chinny Hill: I gave 10 point to Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Why where other games chosen for the last places since they were in the exact same situation. What is the criteria?

Games that got multiple votes got higher preference. So if two people award a game 5 points and you give a game 10 points, the first game gets preference. Where games were tied with one person voting or two, etc, it was randomised.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 15:53 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
Foreigns > Myps

it's fair then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 15:54 
Hibernating Druid

Hey we're all European, bro.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 16:08 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
myp wrote:
I'd probably like it if I could get out of the first village.
I'm going to drive to your fucking house and get you through that village.

Promises, promises.

To be fair, I tried twice. No votes for RE5 that I could see.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 16:25 

Nik wrote:
Joans wrote:
Cpt_Droman wrote:
Really??
no Desert Island Dizzy??

You mean Treasure Island Dizzy?

No, it's the game where Dizzy has to collect eight records and the final boss is Kirsty Young.

Oh yeah, I remember. David Darling said it was "Absolutely Brilliant"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 16:28 
Honey Boo Boo

His most favouritest game since BMX Simulator?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 16:37 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Very surprised to see Doom so high.
Sure, it was ground-breaking, but does anyone prefer playing Doom to Quake? Or Doom 2?

I'd argue that although it launched the FPS, it was the among the last in its genre, before a new type was created by Quake, and that nothing beat Doom in that particular type.

Compare to Super Mario 64, which has been bettered by several games within the genre.

My personal list of six games that I'd thought of would've included Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Doom, Bubble Bobble, an FF*, Castlevania: SOTN.

Also, having seen the list Deus Ex would certainly warrant a space.

None of them have been bettered by something else in their genre.

Crackdown, I did consider, but some of its failings were lit up by Infamous. Mainly lack of depth to the main campaign.
Burnout Paradise, I also considered, but came to the conclusion that it was really the people that made it warrant such a high position. As a game on it's own, not so much.
Metroid Prime was also a candidate, but the frustratration of the final section put a bit of a blot on the excellent and highly atmospheric rest of game. No other first person explore-em-up does it better.

* - In actual fact, it was this that stopped me submitting a list, as I couldn't chose between 7 and 10, and didn't really want to put both in, but couldn't fill my top 10 without resorting to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 16:57 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
I'd argue that although it launched the FPS, it was the among the last in its genre, before a new type was created by Quake, and that nothing beat Doom in that particular type.

Lies and libel, Sir!

We all know that Blood (PC) was the ultimate FPS in that era. :hat:

The level design was inspired. The weapons better. Much more memorable than Doom or, even, say, Duke Nukem. And so on and so forth until my subjective opinion forces you to play it (again?) and concede.

Or not. Like, whatever and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 17:00 
Chinny chin chin

Joans wrote:

Oh yeah, I remember. David Darling said it was "Absolutely Brilliant"

The irony being that comparing then to 2009, David Darling reviewed his own games with more skill and integrity than anyone employed by anyone these days. I mean, at least it's honest compared to the publisher just forcing a reviewer to give a good review.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 17:01 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
My personal list of six games that I'd thought of would've included ... Shadow of the Colossus ...

Why this never made it is beyond me. It's the only game that I've finished and then immediately wanted to experience all over again. The fact that this never made the top ten is a travesty*.

Also, it never made the top ten in GamesTM for games about love, yet Mass Effect did. Just confirms that those writers are a bunch of bell-ends.

*albeit one which I'll get over.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 17:17 
Excellent Member

Ian Aris wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Lies and libel, Sir!

yes sir. But still, Blood was not as good as Strife.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 17:21 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

RuySan wrote:
Ian Aris wrote:

yes sir. But still, Blood was not as good as Strife.

And neither was as good as Shadow Warrior :-)

BTW Chinny you've not put the number one on the list in the first post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 18:13 
and!

The top ten's a bit disappointingly bland, tbh. Interesting that the highest N64 game is arguably the one that has bee superceded the most (out of the holy trinity of Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Ocarina). Having said that, I should have voted for Mario Galaxy instead of Mario 64, which would have pushed it into the top ten.

Having no Castlevania SOTN is the biggest travesty for me. This must surely be because not enough people have played it.

Also, I can now reveal my no. 10 was Jet Set Willy. No, really.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 18:16 
and!

Also, swos? I mean, really?

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 18:44 
I forgot about this - how vain

Suprisingly typical with FFVII and RE4, but a sound list.

For comparison, here is my list:
1) Rhythm Tengoku - GBA
2) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - GC/PS2/XBOX
3) Outrun 2 - XBOX/XBLA/PC/PSP/PS2
4) Mirror's Edge - 360/PC
5) Wario Ware - GBA
6) New Super Mario Bros - DS
7) Wii Sports - Wii
8.)UFO Enemy Unknown - Amiga
9) Frontier Elite II - Amiga
10) Super Mario Galaxy - Wii

So it seems only I voted for Rhythm Tengoku. And my ten points wasn't good enough.

DAMN YOUR EYES BEEX!

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 19:19 
Excellent Member

If we're thinking of putting this on the front page, there should be a new voting for the tie-breakers because, with all due respect for the people of voted for them, having hypersports and landstalker is a bit random.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 19:53 
8-Bit Champion

RuySan wrote:
If we're thinking of putting this on the front page, there should be a new voting for the tie-breakers because, with all due respect for the people of voted for them, having hypersports and landstalker is a bit random.

I can see two alternatives to this :

1) The 'last place' simply lists everything that had 10 (so there may well be more than 50 in there).
2) We look at some of the things lower than ten points but that had multiple votes , i think if it made a number of peoples lists it may be better to have some 'popular' ones rather than just what people chose as their top game (even though mine is one that made that random cut).

My list :

10. Hypersports
9. Ultima IV
8. Resident Evil 4
7. Elite

6. Bounty Bob Strikes Back
5. Zelda : A Link to the past
4. Bubble Bobble
3. Secret of Monkey Island 2

2. Lemmings
1. Fallout 3

So i had 7 in the top 50.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 20:01 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mine were not in order, but what the hell:

The Settlers (Amiga)

colonization (Amiga/PC - I've not played on the PC, mind)

UFO: Enemy unknown (PC, though the amiga version had much better sound, it was unplayably slow. And uglier)

Darklands (PC. The only RPG that doesn't make me embarassed to talk about games with normal people)

System Shock 2 (PC)

Grid Wars 2 (PC)

Tetris (Game boy). I hate puzzle games. But tetris is immortal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 20:28 
Running this fucking operation

I'm dumbfounded that Deus Ex only came it at #40. BEEX out! I resign! You can't fire me, I quit! Free Nelson Mandela!

My list was:

10: Brian Lara International Cricket 2005
9: No One Lives Forever
8: Blade Runner
7: Max Payne
6: Mafia
5: Operation Flashpoint: Resistance
4: Thief 2: The Metal Age
3: Medieval: Total War
2: The Movies
1: Deus Ex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 20:56 
Chinny chin chin

RuySan wrote:

IIRC more than one person voted for Hypersports so it's hardly random. It's hardly any more random than half the old toot in the top 50 frankly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 20:59 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I can see two alternatives to this :

1) The 'last place' simply lists everything that had 10 (so there may well be more than 50 in there).
2) We look at some of the things lower than ten points but that had multiple votes , i think if it made a number of peoples lists it may be better to have some 'popular' ones rather than just what people chose as their top game (even though mine is one that made that random cut).

1 - Many of the games that got 10 outside of the top 50 were people ranking completely random games that nobody else voted for as their favorite. Unlike, say, Head Over Heels which had two people vote for it. From memory nearly all of the 10 point scorers within the top 50 had 2 voters.

2 - Can't be done properly without a recount now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 21:13 
8-Bit Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:
RuySan wrote:

IIRC more than one person voted for Hypersports so it's hardly random. It's hardly any more random than half the old toot in the top 50 frankly.

It was top of my list so got "my 10 points" and i think there was someone else who said their top game made the bottom end of the list.

Please dont take these comments as complaints - i think you've done a wonderful thing here and i think using this and taking say a top25 or so from whats here would be great , even a top 40 (which fits in better with the presenters) would work as the lowest place there got 12 points - but at the very bottom of the table its really just a bit of luck for whats in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 21:46 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
Please dont take these comments as complaints - i think you've done a wonderful thing here and i think using this and taking say a top25 or so from whats here would be great , even a top 40 (which fits in better with the presenters) would work as the lowest place there got 12 points - but at the very bottom of the table its really just a bit of luck for whats in there.

I can see your point but I also like the idea of 50 as it is a big round number. Ideally it would be 100 but we'd never be able to do that.

The issue really only impacts the bottom of the 50. Let's refine the list and then worry.

So we've gone oooohh, and ahhhh and that list is shit and I disagree but didn't vote, can we discuss series.

Should Sensi be listed twice? IMO, no. The footie bit is the same. We used to run our own leagues and bought and sold players on paper on the standard version. SWOS is an expansion, it's not Sensi 2.

Presumably we're OK with Elite having two entries as the games have nearly 8 years between them and are vastly different.

Should the scores from other Resident Evil games be added in? I have no idea what this game is, other than it's quite like Postman Pat on the CPC.

Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 in the top 20?

Shenmue and Shenmue 2?

+ If we do add series together I propose that 25% of the votes from the lower games are added in. It bulks up the score without seriously impacting the rankings. Eg Sensi would end up at 41.5 points, rank unchanged.

Doing this may also sort out issues with the lower end of the table. There's at least one series of games that feature heavily in the lower end of the chart but none of them individually have enough votes to get in as it stands.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 22:21 
That Rev Chap

Mine:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV (360)
2. Doom (PC/Mac/360) [1]
3. Hitman: Blood Money (360)
4. Ico (PS2)
5. OutRun 2/2006: Coast 2 Coast/Online Arcade (Arcade/Xbox/PSP/360) [2]
6. Crackdown (360)
7. Mr Driller: Drill Spirits (DS)
8. Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City (Wii)
9. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness/Afternoon of Darkness/DS (PS2/PSP/DS) [3]
10. Peggle (PC/Mac/iPod) [4]

[1] If limited to one format, the PC version is best.

[2] If you only want one game, even though they're all the same with a bit of variation in tracks and cars and side missions, I'll go with OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast on the Xbox and PSP. If you only want one format, go with... um... bother... well, I've played the PSP a lot more, even though it's not actually quite as good, so go with that version.

[3] If you just want a single format, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness on the PSP is best. They're so similar, though, that all versions are really the same game, Disgaea. The PSP added in some stuff I've never seen, the DS version has a map on the top screen, stuff like that.

[4] I've not listed the DS version, because it's rubbish. If limited to one format, go with PC.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 22:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No-one else like scary games?

Pah.

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Counter Strike
3. Bloody Roar 2
4. Dawn Of War
5. Alien Vs Predator (PC)
6. Left 4 Dead
7. Final Fantasy 9
8. Silent Hill
9. Project Zero (AKA Fatal Frame) (Xbox)
10. Eternal Darkness (GC)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 22:52 
Chinny chin chin

I think the real shock is no GX4000 games made the top 50. Or the Top 100 come to that.

One did get 3 points though. I can't say who voted due to data protection etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:46 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
5. Alien Vs Predator (PC)

Ooh, good one. See, this is why I didn't get round to it - I knew there'd be ones I'd forgotten, and even if I'd remembered them, I'd have never got them in a top ten order.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:10 
Chu Jung?

chinnyhill10 wrote:
can we discuss series.

Firstly, to Chinny- you've executed a good plan well and deserve applause and whoops and hollers from everyone round these parts. You've lived up to the forum's name in a way that doesn't happen often enough. *Cynics might say I'm only saying this to get your attention after being so studiously ignored in the past, but honest guv'nor, I really mean it.

On the issue of series, this can only be sensibly decided on a case-by-case basis. The democratic way to resolve it would be to let everyone vote for whether to combine each series in a second round ballot. You could add something like the following to the OP, and give a week for everyone to cast their votes:

Elite/Frontier Elite 2: Combine OR Separate OR Abstain
Civ 1&2/Civ 4: Combine OR Separate OR Abstain
Shenmue/Shenmue 2: Combine OR Separate OR Abstain

etc.

To make things REALLY complicated, people could vote for each game on whether to simply combine the totals or do the percentage thing previously suggested. For the sake of everyone's sanity though, it probably makes most sense for Chinny to decide that on his own and apply the rule uniformly.

Of course, the trouble is, this requires quite a large number of bothered points from both Chinny and the voters. But hey, I'm just throwing the idea out there (as one does at 3AM on a Saturday morning), and you're welcome to ignore it if you wish After all, that's what you all usually do... SOB

Other Thoughts on the list:

- WHERE'S TETRIS?!?!?!
- I'm kicking myself for not voting for Deus Ex
- It is utterly bizarre that Advance Wars is currently represented by the worst version in the series. PLEASE let's make it the original GBA game.
- Whoever voted for New Super Mario Bros instead of SMB3 is either insane or hasn't played SMB3.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm still of the opinion that this is a list of the Beex Bestest Games of all time, not the Beex Bestest Groups of Games. If I liked Civ 2 and Civ 4 (why does no-one ever talk about Civ 3?), then I'd put them both on my list. If I only played Civ 4 when it came out and didn't play Civ 2 any more, well now, it's pretty obvious what to do.
For some reason, people appear to be taking a list of games personally. And FUCK DAMNIT I forgot about Homeworld.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:01 

1. King's Bounty
2. Rebelstar 2
3. Resi Evil 4
4. Freedom Fighters
5. Mr Do's Castle
6. Syndicate
7. Dead Rising
8. Rock N Roll Racing
9. Bombjack
10. Bomber Hehhe

Rebelstar 2 could have easily been Rebelstar 1 or Chaos I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:42 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that this is a list of the Beex Bestest Games of all time, not the Beex Bestest Groups of Games. If I liked Civ 2 and Civ 4 (why does no-one ever talk about Civ 3?), then I'd put them both on my list

But we're going to be presenting compelling reasons to play these games to the wider world. Wouldn't we look like a bunch of tools to be suggesting that people go and play both Civ 2 and Civ 4 or Sensi and SWOS? Wouldn't it be best to have one representative in the chart?

Elite is different as there is a gaming generation and a good 7 years between the two releases.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:49 
UltraMod

There were 5 years between the first Sensi and SWOS games and myriad gameplay changes. It wasn't just an expansion pack.

I don't really mind if we combine them though, just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 

I'd probably have said we could combine sensi and swos as essentially they're the same game. I don't think you could combine adventure/rpg games in the same way though.

Anyway, seeing as everyone else is spilling out their top 10, here's mine. On the one hand I'm a bit disappointed as I didn't put as much time/effort in as I'd have liked. On the other hand, after seeing the whole list I don't feel like I forgot anything.

10. Super Mario World - Thanks to emulation I must have played this on a ridiculous amount of formats (well 6, I think) and I'm still happy to play it now.
9. Tekken 2 - I don't care what Craster and Curiosity think, I had the most fun with Tekken 2
8. Sensible Soccer 92/93 - This probably goes against what I said above about combining the two. Perhaps I should have put SWOS here.
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - I might have got the number wrong here, I had a habit of playing the Winning Eleven versions on the PS2 as there was an obsessive group that would import all the right kits and player names into the game. I honestly can't remember which one I played the most, or if I've got it's corresponding English name right. I was a bit surprised to see a complete lack of PES in the top 50. Was there enough votes for the series as a whole to get it in the chart?
6. Final Fantasy IX - It took me 3 goes to get into VII properly and I've no desire to play it again. X was a chore from start to finish, but IX was lovely and I want to play it again.
5. Shenmue - The marmite of video games. I'm not a big fan of marmite, but I am a big fan of this
4. Secret of Monkey Island - Again, thanks to emulation I've played this on a ridiculous amount of formats (and also on the toilet :p ).
3. Rock Band 2 - Seeing as I'm pretty obsessed with this at the moment I was tempted to vote it number 1, but I'll see if it's just the novelty value. It's something I can stick on for 5 minutes, or 5 hours.
2. Pilotwings - I couldn't get into the N64 version, but there's something beautifully relaxing about the SNES version. If they bring it out for the wii, then I may have to steal mine back of my parents.
1. Shenmue 2 - And I don't care. :attitude: I liked them both, so I put them both in there. Looking back, I think the second game had more "moments", so I put it top of my list. Seven and a half years since I first walked into that cave at the end and I'm still waiting for Shenmue 3 :'(

I tried to go for games that I'd be quite happy to play again now, rather than games I really enjoyed at the time, otherwise I'd probably have submitted a list of obscure Spectrum football games. :metul:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:27 
Comfortably Dumb

Most of mine are pretty obvious choices -

1. Fallout 3 (360)
2. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
3. Chaos (Spectrum)
4. Captive (Amiga)
5. Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
6. Rock Band 2 (360)
7. Shining Force 2 (Mega Drive)
8. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
9. Zoo Keeper (DS)
10. Tetris (Game Boy)

I'd love to play a re-done version of Captive as I didn't like Liberation at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 
Chinny chin chin

myp wrote:
There were 5 years between the first Sensi and SWOS games and myriad gameplay changes. It wasn't just an expansion pack.

5 years? I would have said more like 2! Sensi was released in, what, 1992? Given the Amiga was pretty much dead by 1995 (cue howls of protest) I'm guessing SWOS was released in 1994.

There was also a huge amount of versions of the original Sensi. Euro editions, small upgrades. I have two versions on floppy (one came bundled when I got that A500 at a village fete for a fiver) and they are both different. The Megadrive version is different again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 

At a guess, the first version of sensi came out early-mid '92 and SWOS was christmas '95. So about 3 & a half years.

Edit - Wikipedia says SWOS was '94, but it was probably a long way into '95 before it stopped being full of bugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My opinion is that each game should be looked at on a case by case basis. I wouldn't like to see some games combined as they are seperate entities but some should be. Let's not forget that the list is totally our opinions and some people might think that Monkey Island 2 was better than 1.

If we did combine some games then we could always include a simple line that says "best in the series?"

For example.. if we combined the Monkey Island series (which i personally think we should) could we have a seperate box out that says that Monkey Island 2 is the best in the series?

Just a thought.. anyway, my top ten!

1. SWOS (Amiga)
2. No Mercy (N64)
3. Street Fighter 4 (Xbox 360)
4. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
5. Metal Arms Glitch in the system (Xbox)
6. Perfect Dark (N64)
7. Pacman (Arcade)
8. House of the Dead 2 (Dreamcast)
9. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
10. Golden Sun (GBA)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:35 
Paws for thought

myp wrote:

SS was reviewed in the first AP I bought (14, Summer 92), SWOS was AP 44 (so about chrstmas 94)

Myp = wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:38 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
why does no-one ever talk about Civ 3?

It's because Civ 3 was shit. Really, really shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:04 
Time Out for Fun

But if we lump them all together doesnt that mean the 2006 version will be in the list?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:14 
Chinny chin chin

Runcle wrote:
But if we lump them all together doesnt that mean the 2006 version will be in the list?

No, because nobody voted for it.

What we will do is give an entry for Sensi/SWOS and possibly explain in the text why we've done what we've done (i.e combine them because SWOS is Sensi with management bits).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 13:23 
It's all pish

I'm pretty sure the top two in this list were put there with the sole purpose of annoying me.
You're all completely mad.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 13:43 
Skillmeister

Here was is my list

1. Pirates! (Amiga)
2. The Settlers (Amiga)
3. Back To Skool (Spectrum)
4. Crackdown (Xbox 360)
5. Civilization IV (PC)
6. Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
7. The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
8. Frontier: Elite 2 (Amiga)
9. Captive 2: Liberation (Amiga)
10. Syndicate (Amiga)

Surprised that The Settlers didn't chart at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 13:56 
baron of techno

I would have voted for Settlers.
But, I couldn't really think of 9 others.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 14:00 
Sleepyhead

Amusing that nobody has yet to admit to voting for the #4 game on the list.

I did, and I placed it high! In your face, haterz!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 14:22 

Dimrill wrote:
3. Back To Skool (Spectrum)

This is probably the first game I've seen that I forgot about. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 19:59 
Worst

myp wrote:
I'd probably like it if I could get out of the first village.

Hi folks. Sorry, I missed the excitement as I was having a bit of 'excitement' of my own (in Iran) until today. Just want to say I echo this thought. In fact, I didn't get out of the first building without freaking out. I can't play scary games. Those few minutes were high quality though.

Right, let's see... my list, directly C&Pd from the PM:

01. Final Fantasy III (or VI)
02. Super Mario 64
03. Secret Of Mana
04. Streetfighter II: Turbo
05. Disgaea*
06. Mario Kart Advance**
07. Rez
08. Super Mario World
09. Tony Hawk Pro Skater*
10. Super Metroid

I wanted to pick some Dreamcast games (specifically Bangai-O, MSR, JSR, Virtua Tennis), as I love that system. They just sadly didn't make it into the 10.

* May as well count this as a series. Probably.
** This too? Dunno.

Notes, written now: My top three is pretty interchangeable. I could happily describe each as my favourite game ever, without fear of hypocrisy or whatnot. I'm not sure why FFVII was so high up and VI/III not there at all. I'm no VII hater, but it's clearly inferior in pretty much every aspect bar graphics. SFII:Turbo. Unfuckwithable. I loved World Warrior, Super, Super Turbo (and the Alphas and Third Strike), so I'm fine with SFII as a nebulous thing.

Pretty much the only thing I have played since 2006 has been by Nippon Ichi, so Disgaea was my pick for 'new' games. (Isn't it sad that I consider GC/PS2 to be current-gen...). That and Guitar Hero, which I mentioned in that series' thread that I foolishly omitted from my list. The rest hopefully speak for themselves. The THPS games I loved were 2 and 3 (much like the Tekkens, though King of Iron Fist tournament 5 was also well loved by me).

I need to play more PS3/360/Wii stuff. I have assured myself I will. At some point. But there we are. I also really liked Sands of Time, so kudos to the man (or woman) who rated that one.

I am currently interested by the absence of Treasure games.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 21:56 
Sleepyhead

throughsilver wrote:
Sorry, I missed the excitement as I was having a bit of 'excitement' of my own (in Iran) until today.

This is screaming out for its own thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 

Here are mine. I knew that it was pretty pointless voting for most of them as no-one else would, but they are what I consider to be the best games I have played, so it would make no sense to change that to vote for games I liked and hoped others would, too.

1) Animal Crossing (wii)
2) Viva Pinata 2 (360)
3) Little King's Story (wii)
4) Luigi's Mansion (GC)
5) Pikmin 2 (GC/Wii)
6) Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town (DS)
7) Katamari Damacy (PS2)
8]Harvest Moon - It's a Wonderful Life (GC)
9) Doshin the Giant (GC)
10) Gregory Horrorshow (PS2)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:38 
Comfortably Dumb

I tried to like Doshin the Giant but it failed to grab me. Maybe I needed to give it a bit more time.

Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next