Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 17: The DavSpazening
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 13:59 
Hibernating Druid

Whatever, di... <click>

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:06 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

“Is there any chance I could have temporary FTP access to…”

I've already answered your question on how to achieve your goal. You don't need access to our servers, especially seeing as all my code is compiled into DLLs. Go away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malabar Front wrote:

I've already answered your question on how to achieve your goal. You don't need access to our servers, especially seeing as all my code is compiled into DLLs. Go away.

Er... What?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:13 

Grim... wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

Er... What?

Er, just a small unfocused rant. It seems whenever you have to work with another company trying to tie systems together, they try and wriggle their way into your servers and code. I've already solved their problem in a lovely, elegant way, but they seem to want to go in and hack at my stuff to save work on their end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:17 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Malabar Front wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

Er... What?

Er, just a small unfocused rant. It seems whenever you have to work with another company trying to tie systems together, they try and wriggle their way into your servers and code. I've already solved their problem in a lovely, elegant way, but they seem to want to go in and hack at my stuff to save work on their end.

You can rework that rant into any industry. Seems like these days, two companies are virtually incapable of working together efficiently as the larger one will use clout to argue that it has to be done in accordance with their manuals and procedures, even if following such policy involves significant reworking to no ultimate benefit.

I'm speaking from experience, as I argued recently with Auditors who agreed my figures, my process and my assumptions, but wanted me to spend 3 days rewriting the same result into their standard format. No. No I will not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:20 

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/10/13kennedy.html

REVISED
CORPORATE E-MAIL
SIGNATURE.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or organization to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. This transmission may make mention of the affair Steven C. Hill, director of sales, is having most nights and especially when business travel occurs. This transmission may also lament the feeling of dying that pervades this small and sensibly decorated workspace, while days tick by on computer calendars and the sun only briefly and barely brushes the edges of the windows in the conference room. This transmission may go on to say that, for the last year, this job hasn't felt right: cheerful on the surface, but faceless and cold. Our bosses are Germanic almost, a sadly administrative and glum gaggle of malcontents. This transmission aches to be substantial. To be the work of art the sender knows is inside him or her. Alas, it is a transmission of information so benign that enough of it stacked up could crush any gift of talent or hope. There is, my friend, a bitter little catch to the comfort we've achieved by chaining ourselves to these desks, by tying our wallets to this slow drip feed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute, or take any action. That said, keep in mind that there are no coincidences; you have received this, so let's just take it from there. Freud would argue you're absolutely my intended recipient, right? The long-dead coked-up thinker stuck on Mom would say that no matter how unlikely it was that you received this e-mail and read this signature, it was, in fact, no accident. This is not where I thought I'd be at this age, in this job, in this place. My manager is a walking dead man. We're all dying here. This is not what we started out dreaming of. And, outside, the day doesn't stop its inevitable fade to consider our decision to leave or stay. Parents miles from here don't stand still like this place; they continue to age. Drunk on the pleasant hum of routine, I've stayed too long. I always stay too long in things: relationships, jobs. I am short of daring. Steve's affair, which I mentioned earlier, is at least daring, though he clearly remains unhappy. It's sad to see him take care to cover his tracks, thinking he's fooling everyone, when, in reality, he's only fooling himself.

I sit here hidden away knowing that sex won't fix me. Drinks won't do a thing. I'm haunted by this idea that one day even the daydreams that get me out of here will stop working. I need catalysts: scars and failing, trying and falling, living and risking, making the wrong move for love, starting down a long road actually headed toward something, facing the blank page, noticing some kind of detail besides changes in my skin and face. I need to get going, to admit life's urgency. We all do here. We never talk about it, and this transmission is confidential. And if you believe you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:21 
Esoteric

I won't bother saying good morning any more then. Especially as it seems to upset people to the point where they have to say something about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:22 
Unpossible!

Morning JC!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:27 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/10/13kennedy.html

REVISED
CORPORATE E-MAIL
SIGNATURE.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or organization to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. This transmission may make mention of the affair Steven C. Hill, director of sales, is having most nights and especially when business travel occurs. This transmission may also lament the feeling of dying that pervades this small and sensibly decorated workspace, while days tick by on computer calendars and the sun only briefly and barely brushes the edges of the windows in the conference room. This transmission may go on to say that, for the last year, this job hasn't felt right: cheerful on the surface, but faceless and cold. Our bosses are Germanic almost, a sadly administrative and glum gaggle of malcontents. This transmission aches to be substantial. To be the work of art the sender knows is inside him or her. Alas, it is a transmission of information so benign that enough of it stacked up could crush any gift of talent or hope. There is, my friend, a bitter little catch to the comfort we've achieved by chaining ourselves to these desks, by tying our wallets to this slow drip feed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute, or take any action. That said, keep in mind that there are no coincidences; you have received this, so let's just take it from there. Freud would argue you're absolutely my intended recipient, right? The long-dead coked-up thinker stuck on Mom would say that no matter how unlikely it was that you received this e-mail and read this signature, it was, in fact, no accident. This is not where I thought I'd be at this age, in this job, in this place. My manager is a walking dead man. We're all dying here. This is not what we started out dreaming of. And, outside, the day doesn't stop its inevitable fade to consider our decision to leave or stay. Parents miles from here don't stand still like this place; they continue to age. Drunk on the pleasant hum of routine, I've stayed too long. I always stay too long in things: relationships, jobs. I am short of daring. Steve's affair, which I mentioned earlier, is at least daring, though he clearly remains unhappy. It's sad to see him take care to cover his tracks, thinking he's fooling everyone, when, in reality, he's only fooling himself.

I sit here hidden away knowing that sex won't fix me. Drinks won't do a thing. I'm haunted by this idea that one day even the daydreams that get me out of here will stop working. I need catalysts: scars and failing, trying and falling, living and risking, making the wrong move for love, starting down a long road actually headed toward something, facing the blank page, noticing some kind of detail besides changes in my skin and face. I need to get going, to admit life's urgency. We all do here. We never talk about it, and this transmission is confidential. And if you believe you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender.

I think I'm going to cry.

In other news, yesterday I bumped into a guy who got made redundant from our place last year, and he's converted (apparently very easily) to being a barrister, and is getting paid the same for doing about 60% as much work, and is able to work from home most days. I'm meeting him for a drink soon to discuss how he went about doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:27 
Master of dodgy spelling....

DavPaz wrote:
Morning JC!

Afternoon Davpaz

in before http://www.twitter.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:28 
Unpossible!

REBELLION!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If only we could have had some sort of discussion about this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:33 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
Morning JC!

Hi Davpaz !

I suffer with bipolar. And right now I am running from a tidal wave of misery that's crashing over me. I am fighting and swimming as hard as I can and trying desperately not to go under. I am putting on a smile and wishing people a good morning when really I would rather be tying a noose and leaping from a tree, or stuffing down too many SSRIs and drifting into a sleep, never to awaken.

However I must be a glutton for punishement. What I did instead was dose myself up to the eyeballs with SSRIs on a safe dose reccomended to me and now my head feels like it's in a vice. If I sit still and concentrate I can almost hear my brain buzzing from the large dose of hydrochlorides washing through it, switching off my thoughts as much as is possible and bringing me back from the edge.

I haven't shaved for a week and have noticed that a good 30% of my beard is now pure white. I have also noticed that the liver spots under my eyes are getting progressively larger and instead of looking like I am half way through my 30s I look more like I am in my 50s. I can't work due to my illness and suffer with incredible back and shoulder pains when I am going through my lows due to being so tense you could knock a brick wall down with me. Right now I am in so much pain that I cannot lift my right arm nor type with it and so I have resorted to typing with one hand and because of that it's taking a really long time to type this. I can no longer take my Tramadol for said pain because of the aforementioned SSRIs I have had to guzzle to keep me from comitting suicide.

I've taken some paracetamol but they're pretty much useless, so I will sit here and try not to move as every time I do it knocks the wind out of me and I can't breathe.

I can't see the changeover point to being hyper like a five year old on a whole bag of fucking cola cubes but I'm sure that when it comes I will actually be really grateful for it even though I embarass myself and make myself look (and thus feel) like an utter cunt. I'm looking forward to not being able to sleep and grinding on my teeth so hard that they break and cut my tongue and give me really painful ulcers and abcesses. I just love not sleeping for so long that in the end I become delusional and floaty and think I am seeing things.

But other than that, how are you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:35 
Unpossible!

Ah, no bad.

[informative post]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:36 
INFINITE POWAH

tl:dr

sorry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:37 
baron of techno

Summary: You'd probably best just allow JC his "morning" tradition before he puts his head inside an Alienware case and turns it on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:38 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I suffer with bipolar.

Have you ever been to America?

:luv:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:44 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Well, I liked the prose in the one by Gaywood, but then I also liked the hard-hitting message in JC's.

There's only one way to settle this...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:47 
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Well, I liked the prose in the one by Gaywood, but then I also liked the hard-hitting message in JC's.

There's only one way to settle this...

Madden 09?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:47 
Unpossible!

I hereby lobby the establishment to allow JC to post one (and only one) 'MORNING!' post every day, to be responded to by anyone who happens to read it. Responder must make a funny, tho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:48 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I also liked the hard-hitting message in JC's.

"Good morning"?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:48 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I suffer with bipolar.
Aye, there's nothing worse than being bummed by a gay bear.
*sorry*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I hereby lobby the establishment to allow JC to post one (and only one) 'MORNING!' post every day, to be responded to by anyone who happens to read it. Responder must make a funny, tho.

JC can post anything he likes in B&B. As can I.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:54 
Unpossible!

Then people should stop frickin whinging about it then.

Jeez. Bloody wednesdays.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
As can I.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:56 
INFINITE POWAH

http://www.twitter.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:58 
baron of techno

Anyone got a Core 2 Duo 5600 or 7200 socket M? In a broken laptop perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:58 
Gogmagog

Litigation written exams on Saturday. I'm beginning to get THE FEAR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:59 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:

Make them a Part 36 offer of 73% the day before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:59 
baron of techno

Lawyer joke! :DD

I dimly remember Mr Chris explaining to me in the pub how mental you were to be doing this direct entry course thing..

Good luck though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:01 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Might be a good idea. For some reason that I cannot quite put my finger on, my confidence is shot to shit at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:01 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:

I dimly remember Mr Chris explaining to me in the pub how mental you were to be doing this direct entry course thing..

By mental I meant "hard working and committed", obv.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:03 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:

By mental I meant "hard working and committed", obv.

"Mental" would be quite correct.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:04 
Master of dodgy spelling....

are we getting close to page 100 by any chance? :DD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:04 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Might be a good idea. For some reason that I cannot quite put my finger on, my confidence is shot to shit at the moment.

It's an open book exam, dude! And it's way easier than solicitors' accounts. You'll be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:05 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

When will people ever learn. Democracy doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:05 
Unpossible!

I don't think I heard MrK say 'dude' in Manchester. Rumours of a doppleganger may not be rumours after all...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:06 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
I don't think I heard MrK say 'dude' in Manchester. Rumours of a doppleganger may not be rumours after all...

With the accent it comes out a bit closer phonetically to "chap".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:07 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It's an open book exam, dude! And it's way easier than solicitors' accounts. You'll be fine.

Piece of piss, them are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:08 
Gogmagog

What happens if the person who gets the first post on page 100 doesn't start a new thread? Is it the end of bits and bobs?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:09 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
What happens if the person who gets the first post on page 100 doesn't start a new thread? Is it the end of bits and bobs?

Nah, Meaty'll do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:09 
baron of techno

What happens if the person is Grim... ?
He'd have to "tut" at himself :)

Also: WARNING, end of thread imminent! Wait until the new one starts if you have anything you want a sensible answer to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:

Also, Myp called Craster "Craster" once (that I heard) and called me "Grim" twice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:16 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Also, Myp called Craster "Craster" once (that I heard) and called me "Grim" twice.

'Withering stare' indeed ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:17 
Excellent Painter

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Yeah, but when I met you guys for a drink in Penisland (Canary Wharf) you introduced everybody by their forum names and when I asked what their real names were you said you didn't know. So I still don't know what Sir Taxalot and Bobbyaro are called and I actually don't like referring to people by their made up names...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Yeah, but when I met you guys for a drink in Penisland (Canary Wharf) you introduced everybody by their forum names and when I asked what their real names were you said you didn't know. So I still don't know what Sir Taxalot and Bobbyaro are called and I actually don't like referring to people by their made up names...

That's up to the person you're talking to, though, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:18 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:

No. Because it will be you or DavSpaz.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It's getting busy in here isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:21 
Ready for action

When Jens little sister arrived at the pub in Canary Wharf I named everyone around the table by their real names, one after the other without hesitation (to introduce evryone to her and vice versa). I think a couple of people were surprised I managed it considering I'd only met them about an hour earlier and I had drank a bit of wine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:23 
DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:
So I still don't know what Sir Taxalot and Bobbyaro are called

Kev and bobby isnt it?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next