The Pinball Arcade
For just about every OS in Jan
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Are they up yet? My 360 is over on the big telly at the moment where it's not connected to the network and I don't want to go scrabbling around the back to change the network cable over from the media centre PC if I can avoid it......

I've not looked, but I'm going to say YES.

50% chance of being a hero, 50% chance of being a dick.

I like those odds!
I can wait no longer so I've brought the 360 back to its usual resting place at my PC desk.

It's currently downloading an 88MB update for the launch tables, not sure about the DLC being available yet.....
It got to 99% and then popped up 'can't download update for launch tables'.

Therefore I have started it again.
Well after THREE (count 'em) attempts at downloading the update for launch tables, upon entering the game THE NEW TABLES ARE IN THE LAUNCHER!

Medieval Madness, Funhouse, Cirqus Voltaire and Bride Of Pinbot.

I eagerly clicked on Bride Of Pinbot, it had a little think about it, and popped up 'no items are available for purchase at this time'.

All the other tables do that as well.

Marvellous.
Well after THREE (count 'em) attempts at downloading the update for launch tables, upon entering the game THE NEW TABLES ARE IN THE LAUNCHER!

Medieval Madness, Funhouse, Cirqus Voltaire and Bride Of Pinbot.

I eagerly clicked on Bride Of Pinbot, it had a little think about it, and popped up 'no items are available for purchase at this time'.

All the other tables do that as well.

Marvellous.

Just checking but a regular trick to get them is buy them on xbox.com and then they will download on your machine when you turn it on

** edit ** - nope not on Xbox.com yet so cant do that :-(
OK the new tables have now disappeared from the table launcher selection and the game has told me that it wants to download the update for launch tables again, which is now sat at pending.

For the fourth time.

I do so love the elegant simplicity of console gaming :hat:
I shit you not, they're back again now but it still won't let me buy them.

I think I'll play Road Blasters instead.

:shrug: Thing that hasn't yet been released is not available.
Mr Dave wrote:

:shrug: Thing that hasn't yet been released is not available.

Well they shouldn't be in the list then.
Garaghhghh! How did they manage to fuck it up again?! The tables are in the menu but I can't download them and the update freezes at 16%.
Ah, already discussed. In defence of console gaming, this has never happened before. These guys are amateurs. Pretty sure you need the update to access the tables. The tables are there, released today, but the update shouldn't be there until August 2nd. So they've put the cart before the horse. My bet is it'll remain broken until the 2nd.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... noSplash=1

Pack one can be purchased on Xbox.com - just going to go and see if it will actually download to the console now
Only 400! Belter! I can get both packs without buying more points!

Was expecting 560 or whatever they charge usually for stuff like this.
Pack 1 is downloading via the console now. 2 still throws up the error. And the update still freezes...
Annnnd Pack 1 freezes as well. Brilliant. Never seen anything like this before. Very weird. Incompetence or perpetual bad luck?
Restarted Pack 1 and it works! Tables are running!
I bought it on Xbox.com , went to the xbox , let it download and it works - Bride of pinbot and Medieval madness :-)

Had a good game of both and unlocked all the basic goals but they have changed the achievements and its simply get a high score on either for 15points
Not surprising but the leaderboards dont work on either one yet (i have a 1.2 billion score on BOP and wanted to see if anyone else had got the billion point bonus yet)
Ooohhh bloody hell I'm not starting playing this now, I'll be up far too late and it's work early tomorrow.

One to look forward to after work tomorrow.

So are only two of the tables available then?

BOP is a fantastic table but it's a bit easy to loop it, even on the real thing.
So are only two of the tables available then?

They are both up now - 2nd link on Xbox.com http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... e6832a2f47

BTW the dates on both sets are in May (18th and 21st) and i wonder if thats when they were submitted to Microsoft this time around ?

Played enough to hit the high score on both of the other tables

Funhouse really doesnt seem to be that different to the one in the Williams collection and in particular the extra ball lane is very hard to hit into (on the ipad / iphone its fine) so it might need some tweaking and its not really a table i enjoy as randomly hitting ramps or targets does very little (in fact you can often hit multi combos for different things and get zero points because it wants you to hit something else)

Cirqus Voltaire however is great and has lots of interesting things to do so even if the only tables you like out of this batch at that and BOP its worth the 800 points in total for the 4 tables.
Yeah Pack 2 is working now, although it froze twice for me so I had to cancel and redownload. I think it's an excellent selection of tables. Funhouse is bloody tough, though. Very drain-happy!
WTB wrote:
Yeah Pack 2 is working now, although it froze twice for me so I had to cancel and redownload. I think it's an excellent selection of tables. Funhouse is bloody tough, though. Very drain-happy!

I found BOP on Ipad after the first update used to hit the drains every time it even went close to them - and although its slightly better now its very drain happy.

Although at the same time they also removed the bug that let you pull the plunger back as far as possible and release to always get the 200,000 hole which with extra balls and the 2nd ball after you've lit the eyes gave some very silly scores.

I've seen things around that say the updates for the first batch of tables should be live at some point tomorrow (right now you can see the update and it downloads 99% and then stops)
Still got the moves on BOP.

1.233 billion on my first go and completed all the standard goals :metul:

Leaderboards don't seem to be working yet, I hope it uploads it when they are :o
Just had a quick look to see if the leaderboards are working or if they've put up the optional update for the original four tables yet. No on both counts so far.

Strangely, two of the DLC tables have stopped working - if you try to play them, the game asks you to download them again, but the download fails :shrug:
Optional update for the original four tables now works (can't say I noticed much difference). Still no leaderboards for the DLC tables, which makes playing them a bit pointless.
What has the update changed? To my eyes, it looks like the lighting is slightly darker to make the lights on the table more noticeable, but I haven't had a go for a while, so I'm not sure...
MrC wrote:
Optional update for the original four tables now works (can't say I noticed much difference). Still no leaderboards for the DLC tables, which makes playing them a bit pointless.

If it retrospectively uploads scores to the leaderboards it won't be so bad, but if I've got to do that 1.23 billion again on BOP I'm gonna be pissed off.

(Not that it's a particular stellar score but it wasn't bad for starters.)
MrC wrote:

If it retrospectively uploads scores to the leaderboards it won't be so bad, but if I've got to do that 1.23 billion again on BOP I'm gonna be pissed off.

I'm sure they'll get it sorted at some point soon - I've barely played the new tables so far, but from the little I've seen Bride of Pinbot and Cirqus Voltaire seem like good fun, but the thing with the leaderboards really would be a gamebreaker if they don't fix it. Half the fun when you load up these games is seeing that some bugger has massacred your score (usually YOG/Klatrymadon these days), which makes the replay value almost endless.
MrC wrote:
MrC wrote:

I'm sure they'll get it sorted at some point soon - I've barely played the new tables so far, but from the little I've seen Bride of Pinbot and Cirqus Voltaire seem like good fun, but the thing with the leaderboards really would be a gamebreaker if they don't fix it. Half the fun when you load up these games is seeing that some bugger has massacred your score (usually YOG/Klatrymadon these days), which makes the replay value almost endless.

Indeed.

Leaderboards still non-existent for the new tables.

Pinball without leaderboards is a pointless endeavour, they'd better be on the way!

Of the new tables:

BOP - Pure high score table, getting into the rhythm and just doing the same limited manoeuvres time and time again. Not a bad thing, but it's one to get in the groove with. Definitely going to be a late night under-the-influence table for me.

Funhouse - Nice table but was never one of my favourites, the music and sound are annoying, although the fine game design makes it worthwhile. Will probably get a fair bit of play.

Cirqus Voltaire - Never saw a real one, the VP recreations were good but this is soooooo much better. Played it to bits in VP, looking forward to doing so again in Pinball Arcade.

Medieval Madness - Never saw a real one, the VP recreations weren't very good, so haven't spent much time with it up to now. Initial impressions on playing it in Pinball Arcade are very positive, again, looking forward to lumping some time into it.

However, ain't playing any of them for ONE MORE GODDAMED GAME until they get the leaderboards working.
Still no fucking online leaderboards.

They are going to put them in, aren't they?
Still can't beat your Arabian Knights score, MrC! I think it's 'cos I always restart if I lose my first ball earlier than expected. I probably need to stop doing that and focus on collecting jewels early and getting a few good multiballs and genie fights in.
I'm shite at pinball compared to you guys. How do you keep it going so long? Give me tips!
WTB wrote:
I'm shite at pinball compared to you guys. How do you keep it going so long? Give me tips!

An encyclopaedic knowledge of major league batting averages 1965-1982
WTB wrote:

One of the main things is understanding the ruleset of the table you're playing, just bashing the balls at the flashing lights won't get you amazing scores most of the time. (That's not to say it can't be entertaining to do so, of course.)

Some tables are deeper than others, but it's not an exaggeration to say that you usually need a 'plan' to score really highly.

Williams/Bally tables in particular tended to have some pretty complicated rulesets.

TZ is a perfect example of this, I can't overstate how much I'm looking forward to The Pinball Arcade recreation of it.
YOG wrote:
Still can't beat your Arabian Knights score, MrC! I think it's 'cos I always restart if I lose my first ball earlier than expected. I probably need to stop doing that and focus on collecting jewels early and getting a few good multiballs and genie fights in.

I do the restart thing as well. All I can remember about the Arabian Knights score is that it was a bit of a grind - I rescued the princess twice (same reward second time round, 20 million I think), the rest was pure luck. One of the holes lets you choose your reward, so you can get extra jewels there.

Plus, unlike with Pinball FX 2, the nudge is actually useful, so you can often rescue a ball that was heading straight down the middle.
TZ is a perfect example of this, I can't overstate how much I'm looking forward to The Pinball Arcade recreation of it.

The release date for Twilight Zone is pencilled in for September 2019, by which time I'll be virtually blind and severely arthritic, but still slightly ahead of WTB/Jonarob on the leaderboards...
WTB wrote:

We meet every second Wednesday to discuss strategy over tea, crumpets and funny handshakes. Brother Malc has been absent since his 85th birthday bash - I'm starting to get worried...
Leaderboards are working now for the new tables...unfortunately, any scores you put up before now don't show up. I might just wait a while until WTB puts some scores up, I fancy a bit of a giggle this weekend...
MrC wrote:
Leaderboards are working now for the new tables...unfortunately, any scores you put up before now don't show up. I might just wait a while until WTB puts some scores up, I fancy a bit of a giggle this weekend...

Fucking bastards, so I need to get that 1.23billion again on BOP.

Still, it's an easily beatable score.

8)
TheVision wrote:

8)

It's really not that hard Vision, you just need to get the BILLION shot lit when you complete the woman (it's a random award off the BIG WHEEL spin you get when you complete her), the rest of the score is off the 'rest of the game' as it were.

You can basically split scores on BOP into two components.

1) The billions come from the BILLION shot, you can get in multiple times, I think back in the Visual Pinball days I had a score of 7 or 8 billion, just by getting that shot multiple times. (That was a looooooong game though.)

2) Everything else (the tens/hundreds of millions if you will) comes from all play outside of the BILLION shot. The BIG WHEEL has an award of fifty million on it, which is handy, you can keep whacking at the unlimited million ramp in the middle of the table too (although it diverts it off to the plunger after you've done it 6 or 7 times, note how a real table DOESN'T allow you to keep repeating one single action indefinitely like Pinball FX does).

The skill shot can get very valuable too, it's pretty easy to get that up to 25x or more, which makes the 200,000 award seriously worthwhile.

The main tactic with BOP is not to lose the ball (well duhhhhhh), what I mean is, it's not a table you want to have the ball(s) bouncing around on too much, as it's quite a 'close' table with lots of ramps and loops, any misses tend to be punished pretty quickly and harshly, and the drains can be greedy too.

There are loads of extra lives to be had too, so it's always worth aiming for those as part of the game.

The only problem with BOP really is that it's quite a repetitive table, probably as basic a ruleset as you'll encounter on a Bally/Williams table, so games can go on for a LONG time without too much variety.

As I said before, one to kind of get into the groove with, preferably after a few ales.
I can confirm what Choppo/AE said about the one billion thing, as I just did it. Bit generous for just one shot,.

No one else on the friends leaderboard yet...
MrC wrote:
I can confirm what Choppo/AE said about the one billion thing, as I just did it. Bit generous for just one shot,.

No one else on the friends leaderboard yet...

I have family duties to attend to unfortunately, and then we're off out swimming.

PROS:

MILFs at the swimming baths

CONS:

Can't play pinball
Dammit MrC has notched up 3.12 billion on BOP.

Bastard.
I don't fucking believe it.

Over three billion on my first ball, then lost my last two balls PLUS TWO FUCKING EXTRA BALLS and scarcely added twenty million to my score.

The fear just set in, couldn't get the ball under control, couldn't hit a fucking thing.

Absolutely dire, MrC remains top of BOP leaderboard.
You know what? The worst thing about Arabian Nights is that most of my balls are lost within the first few seconds, hence all the restarts. :(
I now pronounce myself satisfied with my BOP score, BEEXers, feel free to challenge at will.

(I still fucked a few things up though, and my last two balls disappeared embarrassingly quickly, so to speak.)
I now pronounce myself satisfied with my BOP score, BEEXers, feel free to challenge at will.

(I still fucked a few things up though, and my last two balls disappeared embarrassingly quickly, so to speak.)

Nice one, Choppo!...I knew it sounded ominous when you used the word "satisfied" and didn't post the actual score (for anyone else reading, that would be 6.8bn...).
MrC wrote:

Nice one, Choppo!...I knew it sounded ominous when you used the word "satisfied" and didn't post the actual score (for anyone else reading, that would be 6.8bn...).

It's a beatable score but it does seem to clam up on the billion point shots after the first few big wheel spins, IIRC the best I ever managed in the Visual Pinball days was an 8 or 9 billion plus score.

6.8bn is a nice score though, especially the '.8' bit as that represents over 800,000,000 scored on the 'base game' as it were.

I'll leave BOP alone now until someone beats me on the leaderboard.

Ermm.....
MrC wrote:

Ermm.....

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Nice score MrC, that'll be a toughy to beat.
Page 6 of 17 [ 820 posts ]