Gas Guzzling Money Pits
pointless expenses and cars
GazChap wrote:
Cavey wrote:
I am a sucker for German design, engineering and build quality. :)

While I too love my BMWs, Jap engineering and build quality is streets ahead of anything the Germans have ever offered IMO.

Bikes aside, Jap stuff leaves me utterly cold. It's all very "worthy" and I don't doubt the cars run forever (umpteen old Avensis taxis tell their own story - but then again, that's all they're good for), but, man alive, it's BORING and (IMO) usually fugly too, to my eyes.

Yeah I know, Sccoobies, GT-R blah blah but these don't do it for me either, nor anyone else much by all accounts. How many new Scoobies do you see now, do they even still make em anymore?

I'll probably be really into them in 20+ years from now lol.

EDIT: That said, I do love the new MX-5 though, but that's pretty much just a very well made Lotus Elan copy... as Clarkson said a few years back, when the Japanese try to come up with their own stuff, we end up with the Yaris Verso, which looks like "a snake that's swallowed a wardrobe". :D Germany, by stark contrast, has given us many wonderful, iconic cars and designs, not least Porsche, and they're not exactly thrown together. So, I'm sticking with them for now, ta.
German cars don't rev to 9k though. I mean it's fine, if you like that sort of thing. Like diesel cars
Whoa there, too gash too furious. It's fine to diss porsches but you leave diesels out of it.

#NoSmokeNoPoke
Also, the Japanese made the beautiful 240z & 280z. So there Cavey.
Lonewolves wrote:
German cars don't rev to 9k though. I mean it's fine, if you like that sort of thing. Like diesel cars

Don't Civics rev to 8.6k?
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

You always round to the nearest integer.
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

8595, then?

The (German) Audi R8 revs to 8700, and it does it with six more cylinders.
Yay 'free' service on the S4 yesterday, free as in, the guy who sorts out the invoices is on holiday and apparently he's behind anyway so when he gets back it'll still be a while and I can therefore expect a bill in the post in 'about a month'.

SERVICE REPORT is good, only things that need immediate attention are two front suspension arm bushes (think it was that) that are perished, and the two at the rear are going. I'd also asked them to check the battery as if you're in the car with the engine turned off but the electronics on, it starts moaning inside of a few minutes about a weak battery and that it's going to turn everything off if you don't turn the engine on. (Bossy fucker, it'd probably drive itself straight to Poland if it could.)

Anyway, the battery is shagged and not holding a charge properly so they're going to order a new battery and book it back in to get that fitted, along with the bushes.

Other than that it was oil, brake fluid, and filters and all the usual checks, which were fine.

It'll probably cost about £200 or so, and then it's going to be more for the battery, bushes, and labour on that. Not too ruinous, basically.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

8595, then?

So I get more revs per cylinder.
Hearthly wrote:
Anyway, the battery is shagged and not holding a charge properly so they're going to order a new battery and book it back in to get that fitted, along with the bushes.

Not fancy getting one ordered online and popping it in yourself?

They're not buried somewhere daft in your Audi are they?

I've got Audi TT bushes fitted in my arms! :metul:
Lonewolves wrote:

So I get more revs per cylinder.[/quote]
Jokes aside, 8700RPM with a V10 is fucking incredible.

Plus it sounds ungodly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxuAmvC9W8&t=54s
Grim... wrote:
Jokes aside, 8700RPM with a V10 is fucking incredible.

And I thought the V10 in the M5 (redline 8.3K) was highly strung.
I drove an early V8 (RS4 engine) manual R8 a fair few years ago now, but must admit, I thought it was *awesome*.
That's a very un-Audi like engine, it pops and bangs like a good 'un and wails like only a flat plane crank NA V8 can. Who needs a stereo?
I've got my car back! The engine light hasn't come back on yet!
They charged you £500 to take the bulb out.
Weight reduction too!
Zardoz wrote:
Not fancy getting one ordered online and popping it in yourself?

They're not buried somewhere daft in your Audi are they?

Goodness no I don't want to be faffing about with things like that. Also, you're supposed to use a 'battery tender' thing whilst you're switching the batteries out, to maintain electricity to the car, otherwise it does a factory reset style thing which apparently is a bit of a faff and it has to relearn your driving style for AUTO mode again, or something, along with other various settings which go back to defaults.

The battery is in a slightly awkward spot in the boot underneath the loading space and spare wheel/jack set etc, but it's not fantastically difficult to get to.

Fluids and tyre pressure is about as far as I'll go, anything beyond that I pay nice mechanic chaps to do for me. (See also, anything even remotely D.I.Y. related.)
Ah right.

*Pats basic car*
Zardoz wrote:
*Pats basic car*

Ha!

*Pats actual basic car*
I cannot stop looking at 7 Series after that test drive a week ago.

Can't remotely afford one for a while, so that puts pay to that. However, all the reviews I've seen say that 7s of every generation are not a patch on the Merc S-Class. I've just looked at a few S-Class' on AutoTrader and they look bloody horrible inside. Is it just me?
Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
*Pats basic car*

Ha!

*Pats actual basic car*
Ha!

*Tells basic car that it's not the most basic*
GazChap wrote:

Can't remotely afford one for a while, so that puts pay to that. However, all the reviews I've seen say that 7s of every generation are not a patch on the Merc S-Class. I've just looked at a few S-Class' on AutoTrader and they look bloody horrible inside. Is it just me?

No, everyone looks horrible on the inside.
S class and 7 series both look like excellent cars to get driven around in. Can't really see the appeal otherwise.
Agreed. S Class is a good look for African dictators, though; seems to be the default choice.
GazChap wrote:

Can't remotely afford one for a while

Why did you do that to yourself?
Just seen a 17 plate car. How?
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Because it's 2017
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

1st march is the changeover.
I saw one the other day. I think the driver was trying to go back in time and destroy it before it existed.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Ah, Joans told me it was April and I believed him. :D
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Ah, Joans told me it was April and I believed him. :D

I genuinely thought it was. I was even confused as to why it was April and September rather than March and September.
Apparently I just see loads of new cars in September, but never notice any in March :shrug:
The only reason I know there are 17 plate cars around was when my mum showed me a video my cousin had sent to her. It was him unveiling his new 17 plate red Ferrari Spider and in the background was his old white Ferrari which he was trading in. :o
Look into my eyes and say you don't love me ;)
That's pretty decent. I've never really liked black wheels though. You can't see them!
Is that yours, Cavester?
You should buy that. Tell MrsC that I said it was cool.
It's miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!!!!!!!!!
MaliA wrote:
You should buy that. Tell MrsC that I said it was cool.

Oh well it was a good idea at the time
OMG I cannot believe it sorry guys but I feel 8 years old right now!!!!
I need to calm down
See, stick with Uncle Mali, and he'll take care of you.
Mrs C loves it Mali!! :)
Cavey wrote:

Nice one!
I love it.

Enjoy.

What is interior like and fuck that shit, how loud is it?
Please make video of making it LOuD
It's fucking loud!!! :)

Interior basic but awesome carbon seats off a £800k 918!
Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Nice one!

Cheers bro (and Myp too) :)
I am buzzing!!!
See how high that dial in the middle goes. Best check it all works
I am not much of a Porsche guy but that is a nice looking motor.
Page 460 of 614 [ 30665 posts ]