BITS AND BOBS 26
Hapless old tosser B&B shocker
When it was "just" the tape of the 2 of them slagging off female linesmen, I thought they shouldn't be sacked for that, because surely pretty much everyone could be sacked from the jobs for making some comment along similar lines at some point or other.

I can imagine for a media company employing celebs they have to be over careful. If they didn't do something they could be seen as being sexist themselves and so they needed to do something, and the temporary ban seemed appropriate.

From what I've heard (not actually listened to, or seen the pitch side comments) that's just banter and shouldn't be used for anything.

However, the blatant comments about checking his microphone pack down his pants are almost certainly grounds for dismisal in almost any company in the land.

Also, I really don't get how people around microphones/cameras all the time can keep on making such silly gaffes all the time?

Surely they realise that someone is going to hold on to that footage, and then try and release it when it's going to do harm them the most?

Malc
The book my friend wrote about teaching difficult children was unexpectedly plugged in the Telegraph. Well done him.
Checking email at work, and some cock has the gall to be 'amused to see' that I'd mixed up the first names of two students I was helping (but had never met, and until a few minutes previously had never heard of), and 'not surprised' that I'd got the other student's fees wrong.

Actually, mate, I didn't get the fees wrong. I'm the one who found them and fixed them, and simultaneously found your unrelated problem and fixed that, too. So ex-fucking-cuse me if I get your name wrong in an informal email that you weren't even supposed to read, and then corrected it with a subsequent email, which you also shouldn't have read. And I'm glad that you're so amused that two out of over one thousand students had a problem. Clearly I am incompetent for working in an office 18 months after someone else fucked up and then having the gall to find out about it and try to fix it.

This must be how the one non-paedo bishop feels. >:|
Grim... wrote:
I've always found "agile" to mean "meeting, meeting, meeting, meeting, WORK, meeting, meeting".
The theory of it is great, but I've never seen it in practise.

I'm fairly sure I work in an agile team. No-ones ever said it though.

I believe the difference between this and "meeting, meeting, meeting, meeting, WORK, meeting, meeting" is that it's not managed by cretins.
Craster wrote:
ECDL is very basic. Who would you be looking to prove your skills to, an employer?

ECDL is also a pile of cock. I'd be frankly suspicious of any employer who specified it as a requirement, because it's a strong indicator that they don't have a clue about computers themselves.

I was offered it for free several years ago, and got about 3 minutes into the 'practice' test before fucking it off. It marked me down for changing the homepage in IE to microsoft.com by going into options and typing the address into the 'homepage' bit, because you're "supposed" to go to microsoft.com, then go into options and click 'use this page'. A friend has since done the basic and a couple of the advanced ones, and they've been a total waste of her time and money.

If you're capable of using a computer well enough to post on this forum without electrocuting yourself or accidentally formatting the Pentagon, you're already more advanced than ECDL and it's a massive con.
sinister agent wrote:
ECDL is also a pile of cock. I'd be frankly suspicious of any employer who specified it as a requirement, because it's a strong indicator that they don't have a clue about computers themselves.

I was offered it for free several years ago, and got about 3 minutes into the 'practice' test before fucking it off. It marked me down for changing the homepage in IE to microsoft.com by going into options and typing the address into the 'homepage' bit, because you're "supposed" to go to microsoft.com, then go into options and click 'use this page'. A friend has since done the basic and a couple of the advanced ones, and they've been a total waste of her time and money.

If you're capable of using a computer well enough to post on this forum without electrocuting yourself or accidentally formatting the Pentagon, you're already more advanced than ECDL and it's a massive con.

Ah, thanks much, and noted.

I suspect now that any workplace wanting ECDL will be the type that considers you a "computer expert" for knowing copy-and-paste, and call a PC base unit a "hard disk". :facepalm:

Also, that's a concern if it's so rigid about details for the assessment purposes. Sounds disturbingly like GCSE IT (the one I failed because I didn't have an Acorn at home to do the coursework on in a very specific way, I recall) in that regard.
Worryingly, I'm already bored.
That's good going. I had my first ever go of a dishwasher last night. It was all tremendously exciting.
Woke up at 5am being short of breath, wheezing and coughing. Didn't pass, so I got up and have been bashing about the house since then, trying not to disturb MrsA. Well, that, and if I were to suddenly keel over, I'd rather she not wake up next to a dead MaliA, but find me ,dead, in my underpants, staring at BeeX.

I took an antihistamine at about 6am and it has gone, so I'm currently just tired.
I can see the value of the ECDL to people who are perhaps looking for an entry level position somewhere. The sort of person who may have left school with very poor exam results and is struggling to find a job perhaps. Like many of these low level qualifications, it shows willingness to learn to a potential employer.

To someone applying for a higher level job, perhaps with a good wedge of GCSEs and A-Levels, the ECDL is pretty meaningless, as it basically covers the skills that you'd develop yourself when working towards an academic qualification.

I say, if it's offered free and you have nothing else on that day, go for it. Otherwise, swerve. I certainly wouldn't pay for it.
Gilly wrote:
Also I note it is Sista Flapjacks birthday. Best birthday wishes to her too, i hope Gaywood is feeling a bit better as well x
She says thank you all for the birthday wishes. I do feel a bit better; I managed to get an INR reading of 2.0 yesterday, so if I get another today I think I can stay off the daily injections. I'm supposed to be nil by mouth from 8am today for some tests later (I'm still finishing my cuppa though) and I am afeard that as soon as I can't drink anything I'll be desperately thirsty.
DavPaz wrote:
I can see the value of the ECDL to people who are perhaps looking for an entry level position somewhere. The sort of person who may have left school with very poor exam results and is struggling to find a job perhaps. Like many of these low level qualifications, it shows willingness to learn to a potential employer.

To someone applying for a higher level job, perhaps with a good wedge of GCSEs and A-Levels, the ECDL is pretty meaningless, as it basically covers the skills that you'd develop yourself when working towards an academic qualification.

I say, if it's offered free and you have nothing else on that day, go for it. Otherwise, swerve. I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

I've also seen it help some of the completely computer-clueless staff here when they had to start using computers if they wanted to keep a job. It gets them some basic familiarity but probably more importantly a sense of achievement and that crucial bit of confidence. It might all seem pointless and daft to a bunch of massive computer nerds but I think it, or something similar has a place.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Also I note it is Sista Flapjacks birthday. Best birthday wishes to her too, i hope Gaywood is feeling a bit better as well x
She says thank you all for the birthday wishes. I do feel a bit better; I managed to get an INR reading of 2.0 yesterday, so if I get another today I think I can stay off the daily injections. I'm supposed to be nil by mouth from 8am today for some tests later (I'm still finishing my cuppa though) and I am afeard that as soon as I can't drink anything I'll be desperately thirsty.

Glad you're on the up, Doc.

I was nil-by-mouth for 24 hours before a (lets spare the details, eh Dave? -Ed) and you're right, as soon as you're not allowed to drinkm your body *demands* it.
markg wrote:
crucial bit of confidence

Ah, you've nailed it. My Mum did a Computing for the Terrified course a few years back, going from an utter beginner ("What's the mouse for?") to able to surf, play games and bug me on Facebook :)
Grim... wrote:
I've always found "agile" to mean "meeting, meeting, meeting, meeting, WORK, meeting, meeting".
And your alternative is what, full waterfall? Does Space Cows have a three hundred page functional spec somewhere? Agile is a massively misunderstood and misused term.
I got to try ECDL in work. It was a series of artifacty JPEGs of MS Office, and you could only click on the one correct hotspot on the screen. Heck, you could often spot this hotspot before the images had even loaded and click on it pre-emptively.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
And your alternative is what, full waterfall? Does Space Cows have a three hundred page functional spec somewhere?

No, a good alternative is "Meeting I'm not involved in, meeting, WORK, meeting".

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Agile is a massively misunderstood and misused term.

Anyone would think I already said that ;)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
And your alternative is what, full waterfall? Does Space Cows have a three hundred page functional spec somewhere? Agile is a massively misunderstood and misused term.

Yes - and that's what everyone's saying. Not that agile is bad, but that everyone who says they're doing agile development is actually just talking a lot and spitting out half-written releases all the time.
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
The theory of it is great, but I've never seen it in practise.

I'm fairly sure I work in an agile team. No-ones ever said it though.

Do you have loads of cards stuck on a wall, know exactly what you are planning to do today, but have no idea about next tuesday? Congratulations, you are agile :D

Mr Dave wrote:
I believe the difference between this and "meeting, meeting, meeting, meeting, WORK, meeting, meeting" is that it's not managed by cretins.

Isn't Grim... a manager... :D
Craster wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yes - and that's what everyone's saying. Not that agile is bad, but that everyone who says they're doing agile development is actually just talking a lot and spitting out half-written releases all the time.

"Everyone" is strong term, I would change that to "majority" ;)
We are meant to be 'agile', but how can that work in large large companies,with too many people in workstreams and chains....
KovacsC wrote:
We are meant to be 'agile', but how can that work in large large companies,with too many people in workstreams and chains....

I know, but if I tell you, i'd have to kill you, or at least have you pay me lots of money. ;) That problem is precisely what I do for a living, there are a fair number of very large companies that use agile techniques successfully, but again it comes down to understanding what it means to be "agile".
In some respects, the word "agile" (and the connotations that come with that) is the worst possible description, agile techniques, if done correctly, are the most disciplined, controlled and predictable techniques out there.
Yes and ITIL and Lean and other such methods and frameworks are great, but need to be implemnated properly
Happy Australia Day!

*Watches Skippy while eating shit chocolate, then goes surfing on wobbleboard and gets leg bitten off by asylum seekers*
Crikey! I must stop and buy a slab of beer on the way home.
metalangel wrote:
Crikey! I must stop and buy a slab of beer on the way home.

One brewed in the UK?
Lean is an agile technique ;)

Crystal, DSDM, XP, Scrum, RUP, Lean etc... are all frameworks as such, they are all techniques. The problems come in agile when people say "i'm agile because I do Scrum" or "i'm agile because I do lean", the whole point of agile and why it came about was to bring together all these different techniques, see what was common, come up with a set of tenets that fit across the whole spectrum, and make sure that when you create something, you stick to the core beliefs* but everything else is flexible.

I have never recommended to anyone that they do Scrum or Lean or XP (which for where I work is slightly ironic ;) ), what I do recommend is to look at the situation you are in, look at the tools you have available and do they best thing in your situation. Pick something from every technique out there if you like, if it works for you, then that is the ideal solution :)
I find it amusing when consultancies come into a company and say "To be agile, you must follow this process!" :D

*http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
This is what agile is, anything else is just smoke and mirrors.
Zardoz wrote:
Happy Australia Day!

*Watches Skippy while eating shit chocolate, then goes surfing on wobbleboard and gets leg bitten off by asylum seekers*

swimming this year isn't it?

I jest but the new floods are about to hit my family farm >:| , one the plus side if the laws of physics are correct then it should balance out the fire damage.
Decca wrote:
I jest but the new floods are about to hit my family farm >:

Sorry to hear that. Out of interest, what does the farm produce? Is it arable or livestock?

Hope your family and the farm aren't too badly affected by the flooding.
Trooper wrote:
Lean is an agile technique ;)

Crystal, DSDM, XP, Scrum, RUP, Lean etc... are all frameworks as such, they are all techniques. The problems come in agile when people say "i'm agile because I do Scrum" or "i'm agile because I do lean", the whole point of agile and why it came about was to bring together all these different techniques, see what was common, come up with a set of tenets that fit across the whole spectrum, and make sure that when you create something, you stick to the core beliefs* but everything else is flexible.

I have never recommended to anyone that they do Scrum or Lean or XP (which for where I work is slightly ironic ;) ), what I do recommend is to look at the situation you are in, look at the tools you have available and do they best thing in your situation. Pick something from every technique out there if you like, if it works for you, then that is the ideal solution :)
I find it amusing when consultancies come into a company and say "To be agile, you must follow this process!" :D

*http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
This is what agile is, anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

You lost me :)
Finally!

Every issue of Amstrad Action online:

http://cpcoxygen.fxwebdevelopment.com/aa.html

Including the only time you know who appeared in AA:

[nb: please ensure you don't have any drinks in your hand before you view the photo]

http://cpcoxygen.fxwebdevelopment.com/amstrad_action/AA081/jpg/scans/aa81-17.jpg
Vimto: everywhere.
KovacsC wrote:

:D sorry, I was just excited to be able to talk about something that I actually get paid to do. Beex is now on my timesheet code for today...
kalmar wrote:
Vimto: everywhere.

It gets better, I just found the edition which has my photo in.

No.
Give us a year at least!
kalmar wrote:
Give us a year at least!

Here you go:

http://cpcoxygen.fxwebdevelopment.com/amstrad_action/AA090/jpg/scans/aa90-43.jpg

If anyone was wondering what half the shed crew were doing in AA, there was a time in early '93 where the mag shared much of its staff with YS as both were based in the same room. In later years Commodore Format and AA were run by the same 2 people as well.
Love how the Gundam link descends into a nerd battle over which mobile suit it is.
Trooper wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

:D sorry, I was just excited to be able to talk about something that I actually get paid to do. Beex is now on my timesheet code for today...

It is ok,I know the basics, but that is it..

I wish I could talk about my job :(
I don't want to enter the Fable 3 thread for fear of the spoilz, but I have a quick question.

When playing Co-op over Live, are you tethered to the same screen like in local co-op?
Couldn't get to sleep last night until gone 4am, it was starting to get light outside :(

Just woken up and had breakfast, so I guess I got 8 hours in the end. But now I have less time to do the stuff I needed to do today.

Edit: Also, MaliA, I did respiratory stuff last week. :iknowstuff: Ever had an episode like this before? Ever smoke? Family history of asthma? Any infections lately? Any other symptoms - night sweats? Lost weight?
KovacsC wrote:
Trooper wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

It is ok,I know the basics, but that is it..

I wish I could talk about my job :(

Quit, and then bore the likes of DavPaz with all the details about it to your hearts content. Like I've been doing since last night!
I like my job...just can't talk about it...
KovacsC wrote:

So talk about games, then.
I see Gamestation are still arsing about with their site. Either that or 'Becky Test 16' is a PS2 game that has passed me by.
Jon.J wrote:
Couldn't get to sleep last night until gone 4am, it was starting to get light outside :(

Christ, where do you live? It's still dark when I catch the bus at 6:30ish.
KovacsC wrote:

Not even in the generic? I can't name clients in the specific, or talk about specific problems, but generic hypotheticals are ok.

Are you a spy? :D
Kern wrote:
Decca wrote:
I jest but the new floods are about to hit my family farm >:

Sorry to hear that. Out of interest, what does the farm produce? Is it arable or livestock?

Hope your family and the farm aren't too badly affected by the flooding.

When they originally bought it the land was all rented out to neighbouring farms for potatoes. My uncle didn't want to rely totally on arable as with the weather and blight they get you can lose a fortune. Then during his research he discovered that no one in Australia was farming goats (that's the gods honest truth) and that there was now a massive demand for goats cheese and milk within the (at that time newly established and growing) Sydney Chinese community but they were having to import everything from new Zealand.
He stuck his neck out and at this time it's some potatoes on land rented to neighbours, many many goats and I believe there is a processing set up as well now. They did get lucky with the fires as they had enough warning to be able to drive the goats away . There are two farm houses on the property, one they built and the old wooden one, the latter and some of the goat buildings got hit by fire, some of his neighbours got hit very hard and the potato crop for that year was ruined.
Trooper wrote:
Are you a spy? :D

That would explain the, err... odd handshake.
He makes Future Combat Systems, like in Universal Soldier!
Page 43 of 60 [ 2981 posts ]