Getting American foods in the UK
ESPECIALLY Lucky Charms!
DavPaz wrote:
You should try the 'curry mile' in Manchester, Cras.

That place is like an Indian Las Vegas, it's that bright.
You're in London aren't you? The Gaylord (the comedy name is purely a bonus) was a favourite for client lunches a few years back when I was there more often and i seem to remember that was different from the bogstandard fare , although a colleague did say it had gone downhill (missed out a 'gone behind' gag there) recently...
Oh, you can certainly get good Indian food, it's just frustrating that there is such market saturation of generic cuisine, invented for a market uninterested in the exciting possibilities of global foods. It's like we've taken the cuisine of other countries, and combined them with the business acumen behind Garfunkels and the aforementioned Angus Steakhouses to produce a massive countrywide phenomenon of dull, identikit food.
The curry mile is great.

Gaucho is also great (totally agree on the ceviches but haven't had the posh pastie before). I need to go to the Hawksmoor, and probably will when they open the new one.

We have another Argentinian restaurant in Blackheath (Buenos Aries), but I've not yet had a big ol' steak there (I think). We also have a ton of Indians/Nepalese, and a load of generic Italians.
It opened a week or so ago.
Craster wrote:
When was the last time you went in an Indian restaurant in the UK and saw any British Indians in there that weren't staff?

All the time in Preston, Manchester and Leeds anyway.
Craster wrote:
No, but it often = interesting. There are 30 Indian restaurants near me, and all of them sell the same, dull, anglicised food.

You need me to take you on a tour of the North West. Of all the places I've tried, the best 'Indian' restaurants have had Pakistani chefs.
Craster wrote:
It opened a week or so ago.

And the bastards didn't email like they promised me to?

I SHALL BURN IT DOWN!

In light of the Twitter Joke trial, can I clarify that I will not actually burn down this establishment.
Zardoz wrote:
Craster wrote:
When was the last time you went in an Indian restaurant in the UK and saw any British Indians in there that weren't staff?

All the time in Preston, Manchester and Leeds anyway.

Years ago I shared a flat with someone who's business partner was Indian. We got taken to some awesome Indian restaurants in the Harrow area of North London that were full of Indians and we also got taken to some awesome Indian restaurants up North as well. In the 20 years since then I've never eaten Indian food in London that compares — a couple of times I've come across some very good ones, but the competition between Indian restaurants in London is so high that they tend to lose their chef's after a few months if they're any good. And as you say, Cras', most people don't care about the quality or have never experienced decent Indian food — it's just meat and gravy with rice.

Anyway, Indian Schmindian. Try finding a decent Chinese restaurant in London, let alone an awesome one.
My local Chinese does soft-shelled crab, so I'm good.
I meant in "London" :p
Heh. If you're in London, I am.
I can get to work in 15 seconds ;)
DBSnappa wrote:

Me too! What zone is Chester in?
Malaboob wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

Me too! What zone is Chester in?

In fairness to Cras, I don't really know where he lives. He's been to my house and the bastard still hasn't invited me round for pulled pork. Wait...
DBSnappa wrote:

That clearly makes you 'not in London' :0)
Well, now I'm hungry. Fuck you guys.

Still, though, seven course tasting menu from a one-star chef tonight.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oooh, where ya going?

I think Benares will be my Michelin swansong for a while. Silly pregnancies!
Curiosity wrote:
Oooh, where ya going?
This guy is doing a three-night guest chef spot at this place. Very random, but at £60 a head, I'm not grousing.

Edit -- I've heard from a friend of a friend of the restaurant owner that this has gone so well, they are considering making it a semi-regular thing, and were talking to a one-star Indian chef. Which has to be from Benares or the Tamarind, right?
Curiosity wrote:

Yeah, Zio! :belm:

Think of the Andy next time.
Curiosity wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oooh, where ya going?

While = 25 years by my reckoning.
DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oooh, where ya going?

You underestimate my fiscal irresponsibility.

Also, Gaywood - yeah. Those are the only two I know of, and the food at Benares was superb (though Atul wasn't in the kitchen as he had been up early to go on Saturday Kitchen that day).
Curiosity wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oooh, where ya going?

Nope. I fully anticipate a £1m mortgage on a 600k house and 100k on cards by the time your child finishes university.

Enjoy the fine dining :p
DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oooh, where ya going?

Nope. I fully anticipate a £1m mortgage on a 600k house and 100k on cards by the time your child finishes university.

Enjoy the fine dining :p

University? I'm painting him black and selling him to Madonna!

Now where did that line go?
Page 4 of 4 [ 176 posts ]