Bits & Bobs 46
A new B&B for a new year !
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Meems - I'm a bloke; taking the piss out of other blokes for drinking girly shite is what we do. :D

If this was the 70s maybe.

In the 80s it was all Martinis, big suits, and 911 Turbos.

Cavey is the 1980s.

He wouldn't be drinking Martinis; too girly.

Yeah, that's why I drink pink champagne (and take the piss out of myself, including here, for so doing).

The whole thing was just a laugh, Bamba, as difficult a concept as doubtless that is for you to grasp. Seriously, you could start an argument in an empty room.
Bobbyaro wrote:
Did she get the job then, or is this the first time you have been back since the interview?

First time back, so I was hoping to see her there.
Mimi wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Did she get the job then, or is this the first time you have been back since the interview?

You should fill in a feedback card saying how great her service was. I once posted a customer feedback form saying how great I was and then the area manager came down to give me £15 smiths vouchers.
markh wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Dear London folk,

I'm in London tomorrow and I'm worried about using The Tube. My mate reckons I can just scan my phone with Apple Pay and get on and off willy-nilly BUT IS IT AS EASY AS THIS and IS HE CORRECT? I must know.

If you have a contactless debit card, just use that, but remember to touch in and out whenever you leave the station even if theres not a barrier.

Great stuff. Thanks for a reply that wasn't facetious or cunty.
Cavey wrote:
The whole thing was just a laugh, Bamba

Ironic sexism is still sexism, I'm afraid.
Lonewolves wrote:
I was taking the piss out of Grim… drinking a mass-produced rank lager, nothing "girly" about it. It's just shit. ;)

It might not have been you I'm thinking of, I don't actually know... It was at the cottage, though. I think Grim even had his own little fridge :DD

I've met a lot of elitist beer snobs, and they are usually a bore, especially when some people just want to drink what they like and have s good time.
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I refuse to be drawn tbh. If people want to get actually offended, for real, over some pretty lame beer gags, as mitigated with a good dollop of self deprecation as well, then frankly I hope they never dare leave their homes, let alone go to a pub. For heavens sake, get some perspective IMO, otherwise people will be perpetually outraged? Crazy. :shrug:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I refuse to be drawn tbh. If people want to get actually offended, for real, over some pretty lame beer gags, as mitigated with a good dollop of self deprecation as well, then frankly I hope they never dare leave their homes, let alone go to a pub. For heavens sake, get some perspective IMO, otherwise people will be perpetually outraged? Crazy. :shrug:

As ever, you completely miss the point, but yeah let's leave it. :)
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076bv3b

I haven't heard it yet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051ryqn

Nor this
Saturnalian wrote:
markh wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Dear London folk,

I'm in London tomorrow and I'm worried about using The Tube. My mate reckons I can just scan my phone with Apple Pay and get on and off willy-nilly BUT IS IT AS EASY AS THIS and IS HE CORRECT? I must know.

If you have a contactless debit card, just use that, but remember to touch in and out whenever you leave the station even if theres not a barrier.

Great stuff. Thanks for a reply that wasn't facetious or cunty.

I assumed facetious cuntiness was the reason you came here instead of Google. I can't imagine what other unique selling point we have.
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

You should fill in a feedback card saying how great her service was. I once posted a customer feedback form saying how great I was and then the area manager came down to give me £15 smiths vouchers.

I don't know if she got the job! :DD
Bamba wrote:
Malc wrote:
as a 3 second google will tell you

https://www.google.com/search?q=emirate ... 8&oe=utf-8

:shrug:

#safe=off&q=emirates+airline+london">https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=emira ... ine+london

Quote:
Emirates Air Line
http://www.emiratesairline.co.uk/
The Emirates Air Line brings you London, like you've never seen it before. Different views, ideas and conversations build a new, richer perspective of a city.
‎Tickets & Information - ‎Local attractions - ‎FAQs - ‎Emirates Aviation Experience
I'm grumpy as well.

I might have to go to the politics thread and have a snark!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I won't really
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I haven't heard it yet.

Nor this

Your right to free speech means the government shouldn't be able to imprison you for things you say (unless it is hate speech), not that you are immune to criticism of said speech. Because - and this will blow your mind - criticism of free speech is also free speech.

Saying a joke isn't funny because it relies on the trope that anything feminine is somehow less worthy or desirable isn't infringing your freedom of speech.
Curiosity wrote:
I'm grumpy as well.

I might have to go to the politics thread and have a snark!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I won't really

/white Persian cat hisses angrily and leaps from Cavey's lap :D
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I haven't heard it yet.

Nor this

Your right to free speech means the government shouldn't be able to imprison you for things you say (unless it is hate speech), not that you are immune to criticism of said speech. Because - and this will blow your mind - criticism of free speech is also free speech.

Saying a joke isn't funny because it relies on the trope that anything feminine is somehow less worthy or desirable isn't infringing your freedom of speech.

Talk to the bbc about their use of language not me.
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I haven't heard it yet.

Nor this

It's a common misconception, so was worthy of addressing. Plus you posted it!
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

As ever, you completely miss the point, but yeah let's leave it. :)

Miki asked not to use 'girly' as an insult, (because that can be offensive to anyone: women who see that girl-like is being made to seem weak, or negative in some way, or anyone of any gender who is having their strength or masculinity dampened by being called 'girly', but Miki asked Cavey to stop, Cavey apologised, and it was all over in a few words.

That small exchange was great, and not just bashing the topic around for the sake of it or to prove anything.

Anyway, I'm drinking Diet Coke, out of a can. Have at it, numpties!
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I haven't heard it yet.

Nor this

It's a common misconception, so was worthy of addressing. Plus you posted it!

It might be interesting. I think the world is a richer place with your guiding hand.

Polymerase.
Cavey wrote:
Yeah, that's why I drink pink champagne (and take the piss out of myself, including here, for so doing).

The whole thing was just a laugh, Bamba, as difficult a concept as doubtless that is for you to grasp. Seriously, you could start an argument in an empty room.

Just FYI, "having a laugh" isn't ever going to be a defence against saying crappy things. Indeed it's a tactic often used by proper genuine misogynists who're outraged at getting called on their shit so trotting it out puts you in some pretty bad company. Anyway, all I did was voice my opinion about something you said; I can't make it into an 'argument' on my own. Don't let that get in your way of avoiding any responsibility though.
Mimi wrote:
Miki asked not to use 'girly' as an insult, (because that can be offensive to anyone: women who see that girl-like is being made to seem weak, or negative in some way, or anyone of any gender who is having their strength or masculinity dampened by being called 'girly', but Miki asked Cavey to stop, Cavey apologised, and it was all over in a few words.

Yes, but then it was defended by being 'just a joke', which is what I objected to, as you well know. ;)
Bamba wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Just FYI, "having a laugh" isn't ever going to be a defence against saying crappy things. Indeed it's a tactic often used by proper genuine misogynists who're outraged at getting called on their shit so trotting it out puts you in some pretty bad company. Anyway, all I did was voice my opinion about something you said; I can't make it into an 'argument' on my own. Don't let that get in your way of avoiding any responsibility though.

So is it OK for Myp to do it to try and undermine someone's drink choice because, in his defence, he's having a laugh or winding someone up? The rules of engagement here are so confusing.
Mimi wrote:
So is it OK for Myp to do it to try and undermine someone's drink choice because, in his defence, he's having a laugh or winding someone up? The rules of engagement here are so confusing.

That wasn't sexism though, which is the issue here. Saying someone likes bland beer is not really in the same ballpark, is it?
Mimi wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Cavey wrote:

If he's saying something that denigrates specifically and only the person he's talking to then it's entirely between the two of them whether anyone wants to get offended. If he's making a joke that takes aim at an entire gender then I certainly wouldn't advise it.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That wasn't sexism though, which is the issue here. Saying someone likes bland beer is not really in the same ballpark, is it?

That's what I wondered. If you thought taking the piss or mocking people/undermining their choices was OK in some circumstances but not others, due to sexism, or other isms. I guess we could say it is elitism of sorts, but I don't think we've got around to that :P

I think you all drink rubbish things anyway. Especially you, Myp. I think you choose your beer as an accesory to your facial hair. Mypster :D Next time I see you in going to get some limited edition Brew Dog rubbish and make a shandy with it. And add black current cordial. And I'm going to chill it so far beyond the point of taste it will be practically ice. Then I'm going to drink it in your FACE.

I'm going to do this for your own good, because I love you.
Mimi wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That's what I wondered. If you thought taking the piss or mocking people/undermining their choices was OK in some circumstances but not others, due to sexism, or other isms. I guess we could say it is elitism of sorts, but I don't think we've got around to that :P

No, it's just because I am better than Grim... nothing more.

Mimi wrote:
I think you all drink rubbish things anyway. Especially you, Myp. I think you choose your beer as an accesory to your facial hair. Mypster :D Next time I see you in going to get some looted edition Brew Dog rubbish and make a shandy with it. And add black current cordial. And I'm going to chill it so far beyond the point of taste it will be practically ice. Then I'm going to drink it in your FACE.

I'm going to do this for your own good, because I love you.

You do what you like, doesn't mean I won't make fun of you for it. :luv:
Mimi wrote:

That small exchange was great, and not just bashing the topic around for the sake of it or to prove anything.

Anyway, I'm drinking Diet Coke, out of a can. Have at it, numpties!

:luv:

Thanks Meems. I really should take up Diet Coke, I weighed myself last Sunday... Man I need to diet and step up the exercise. Giving up fags is bad news for the waistline. :(
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Didn't you just tell Cavey he'd totally missed the point for suggesting that there are worse things than being called girly? I mean, calling something "girly" and refusing to hire a black person because they were black are pretty separate ballparks, too, but that doesn't just mean you should be able to do the other.

Anyway, fuck you, Stella is well nice and you only don't drink it because you're a manly girl.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Didn't you just tell Cavey he'd totally missed the point for suggesting that there are worse things than being called girly? I mean, calling something "girly" and refusing to hire a black person because they were black are pretty separate ballparks, too, but that doesn't just mean you should be able to do the other.

Anyway, fuck you, Stella is well nice and you only don't drink it because you're a manly girl.

:DD
I can't believe you guys are bickering over beer. Get a proper drink.
Jem wrote:

To me it is clear
Wine is better than beer
Curiosity wrote:
Jem wrote:

To me it is clear
Wine is better than beer

You're lying you swine
Beer is better than wine
Hey guys! Did I miss anything of importance in the last 2 pages?
DavPaz wrote:

We talked about you for a while. So, no.
Lonewolves wrote:
I've only had 11/28 of these. Must do better.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emmacooke24/be ... =hootsuite

Punk IPA being on that list invalidates it.
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Oh, you.
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Oh, you.

:kiss:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
I've only had 11/28 of these. Must do better.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emmacooke24/be ... =hootsuite

Punk IPA being on that list invalidates it.

Oh shush, it's marvellous. Really grapefruity.
I've had 4. That list is compiled by fucking idiots.

“Does what it says in the tin." says an idiot, referring to a draft beer called "Pint". That tastes of apricots.
Grim... wrote:
“Does what it says in the tin." says an idiot, referring to a draft beer called "Pint". That tastes of apricots.

:D
"Pint" being Boro slang for "retch"
If I don't know what beer to order, I go for the best pun.

It turned out that 'Harry Porter' was actually quite good.
Grim... wrote:

Almost tastes of apricots, you philistine.
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Almost tastes of apricots, you philistine.

I... So...

What does it taste of?
I've not had a single one. To be honest, they mostly look like hipster shite.
Pundabaya wrote:
I've not had a single one. To be honest, they mostly look like hipster shite.

To be fair, I've not had a single one either.
Colour me philistinical, huh.
Give me a well kept pint of Banks's Mild and I'm happy.
When I'm allowed to drink, of course.
Nowt wrong with a pint of Banks as far as I'm concerned, as long as the pub gets good volume/turnover (but that applies to any draught beer of course).
Pint of Eastgate for me as I said earlier - and that's just a common-or-garden best bitter with no frills at all, but a very good one (IMO) and undoubtedly well kept in the pub I frequent.
Page 30 of 60 [ 2971 posts ]