Doctor Who
The boy/girl in the Blue Box!
I don't think I want to see any advance publicity for this finale. I want it to all be a nice surprise for me when I sit there open mouthed.
GovernmentYard wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
River opening the Tardis doors to see solid rock , I wonder if the Tardis is going 'into' the Pandora-thingy so that it can rescue the Doctor ?

Nah, that was the side of a henge stone, just meant she wouldn't get downstairs and beat all those lot and rescue him quickly. I do have a theory though which might explain it and agrees with yours sort of - The Doctor certainly goes back and tweaks things, so we know he gets out. River says she lets him out. River has a time wristband, so could teleport in there, or maybe she goes back to a while before and The Tardis isn't blown up, and she fixes the Chameleon circuit then materialises the Tardis inside the Pandorica as a small object she can just about crawl through the door of. They escape, then he goes back through the series being cool, in so doing saves the day.

A few possible predictions:
It had occured to me whether the wristband might be part of the cause as well as solution - It certainly seemed to be something about Dr Song that caused it, and the band seems a good candidate, what with its shady origins, interaction with time and everything. The monitor only cleared after she left the TARDIS in 2010 - and said monitor has already been used to foreshadow events at least once this series. And well, if it's the cause, it'd be fairly easy to see how they might remove its effects after having used it as a time travel substitute. It's certainly plausible and would work with the series past. I'd certainly be surprised if Moffat hasn't already introduced the cause of the disaster, and beside Ms Pond (which is a whole other theory), it's the only other thing that I can think of which fits.
A short (1 minute) clip of this weeks episode is up now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sxfc7

Quite touching really
Not a great finale if you ask me. Something not quite right there.
Tish and fipsy.

It was better than God.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Not a great finale if you ask me. Something not quite right there.

I'll tell you what's not quite right: YOU and your WRONGNESS.
What's with the pandorica being able to fly? Why did they make a prison he could fly? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
Sorry, I'm with Nirejhenge...all that build up and the finale felt like 45 minutes of filler.
I thoroughly enjoyed it :)
You'd have all slaughtered RTD for an ending like that.

I'm uncomfortable with the following:

1. All that build up to being shoved in the pandorica and he's out of it in a flash.
2. You go to all that trouble of building a super prison and it can fly around the place? WHAT?
3. IF YOU REMEMBER THEM THEY WILL COME. Oh come on that was just bollocks.
4. Alex Kingston's acting was frequently terrible. She seemed very uncomfortable with a lot of the techy lines.
5. The dialogue was rather poor, spending most of the time coming up with techno-babble about the situation they were in.
6. Did Amelia have any purpose in it at all?
7. Why exactly build a prison with a regenerating light inside it?
8. What was with the 'silence will fall' voice throughout the series then?
9. It was just way too flippant for a finale.
Having said all that there were quite a few good lines and Matt Smith was still wonderful. Some of the time jokes were good.
The silence is yet to be explained, as is River, when you think about it. There's another series next year.

Re: the regenerating light - you need to keep The Doctor alive in his current incarnation forever to keep him imprisoned. No other species can build something as hardy as a Tardis and we have already established how damaging a regeneration can be to one of them, the Pandorica wouldn't work without it. The Doctor had ten whole minutes to make the Pandorica be something that can fly. They probably planned to fly it somewhere once he was in it in any case. Heart of the sun or something, next to the Galactica.

/edit if RTD had written that ending I'd not have slaughered him for it. We knew The Doctor would get sprung early doors, or there'd be no episode. There was only a tiny amount of enemy of the week in it, a single broken Dalek for all of three minutes and very, very cool with it as opposed to increasingly drawn-out and hysterical Master/Cybers/Timelords/Whatever. Instead we see a Time Lord lording it over time. And Amy in a wedding dress. Fappity fap fap fap.
One other thing - I didn't sob at this one, and I preferred that. The end of a series doesn't have to be harrowing. Felt like Moff wanted us to have a choice in how we felt, as opposed to the YOU WILL WEEP fist of anguish that usually accompanied RTD endings. This, by the way is comparison, not criticism.

Sometimes it is enough to be fun, heartwarming, exciting, lovely, clever and ace. I wasn't saying goodbye to (in series order to date) Doctor 9, Rose, good scripts, Rose again, or Doctor 10 this time, we just saw Amy and Rory get married and The Doctor's hat explode. Onward to adventure, no bones broken, see you at Xmas for some dumb fun and then next year we'll talk about River and the Silence.

Which is the sort of thing we were all hoping for, innit?
Utterly loved that. Magic. Easily a 10/10

And for those moaning that '"it didn't make sense" and picking holes, I suggest that you watch it again and pay closer attention! It all made perfect sense to me. :D
GovernmentYard wrote:
The silence is yet to be explained, as is River, when you think about it. There's another series next year.

This was specifically said by Moffat in the Dr Who confidential episode tonight , next season we find out about who was taking the Tardis to that point to blow it up , and we find out all about River

Spoilery speculation

Is it possible that it was River causing it ?
Well,
We've not seen an episode where she doesn't know him yet... and there's bound to be one next year. Probably the episode where the companions get a back seat as a break from filming, like The Lodger and Midnight - this'll give The Doctor a chance to get into whatever he gets into with River. I've no idea what Moffat'll cook up but it seems he's got it sorted already and there's probably clues in all his River episodes so far. I've heard there'll be three companions next year so maybe this episode will be an early one, then she'll be off for a bit, then back for the finale. We know her eventual fate already, so there's no need to address that, but there might be some things to extrapolate from what she's said to him so far, I assume someone geekier than I will post something I'll read and then repost here eventually.
I wonder if my problems with it are largely derived from RTD ingraining the idea of a big spectacular blockbuster as season finale. It came as a bit of a shock that it was relatively small scale.
It's possibly that. Last week was Moff does RTD certainly, this week it went in a different direction. I remember the 'specials' of last year underwhelming and annoying when they did little other than hint at a big finale to come. Thing is though - RTD had bled that finale style dry, there really wasn't anywhere to go with it all well before he finished and he was lucky to end as well as he did. I think this season I've been enjoying the episodes for what they were, rather than angling for the finale and exposition contained therein.
I enjoyed that, except for the remember it and it'll come back fudge. Surely Amy could start "remembering" the crack in the wall and we'll be back at square one?

Anyway, that episode confirmed to me a suspicion. River is Captain Jack.
So wait, the Doctor now has an Auton as a regular companion? Awesome!

Oh and I loved it...

And the point with Amelia was
that the Pandorica needed a sample of living Amy DNA to bring her back
End of an Era wrote:
I enjoyed that, except for the remember it and it'll come back fudge.

But remembering is how time exists, otherwise everything would only be now and nothing would work. Remembering is everything. As the characters remember, the viewer remembers and the series fits together and works. Remembering on both sides of the screen. The mechanism and to some extent the theme. I loved it, personally.
Pundabaya wrote:
So wait, the Doctor now has an Auton as a regular companion? Awesome!

Yes, I also wondered if the Rory at the end was an Auton Rory transplanted through time, or a reincarnated Human Rory with Auton Rory's memories, or a reincarnated Human Rory with Human Rory's memories... No idea. We'll find out eventually.
Well the whole universe was recreated from another big bang wasn't it? So everyone is who they should be. No autons now
I watched it very late last night whilst drunk. I enjoyed it. When I watch it sober, I'll see if it holds up. I think it will.
Best bit for me...
Its the first time I've seen the doctor properly prat about with time travel to solve stuff.
End of an Era wrote:

Anyway, that episode confirmed to me a suspicion. River is Captain Jack.

What a very disturbing thought ............ that's going to give me nightmares you know. ;)
Expanding on previous...
Seeing as he is a time traveller, he hasn't before really used that to his advantage much before. In this episode I think SM has had a chance to kind of say 'Look, he's a time traveller, of course he wont be in the box long cos he can just go back in time later to set in motion the events to free himself so he comes out 1 minute after the baddies bugger off' - and he actually does it lots here, really rubbing in the 'this is what he is capable of, don't mess' aspect.

I don't recall any other episode where the doctor does this, the standard form is that any time travel is just to get them there in the first place.

I like how the series 'set up' was better handled - the bits & bobs he goes back in time to do across the episodes are more substantial interactions than just writing 'Bad Wolf' everywhere.

I also think there is a sneaky poke at the technique tho, when he does the zipping back & forth to fix stuff, he has to use the arm-thingy (Tardis being a bit slow & bulky for doing it that way), and he does say that it is a cheap & nasty way to time travel, mirroring the fact it is and a cheap & nasty contrivance to mess with the story. It's very post-modern to refer to the cheapness of the literary trick you are using at the time ;) i.e. - he can do this sort of messing around when he has to, but he would rather travel in style & fun in the woopy-woopy Tardis.

The remembering - yeah, not exactly rigorous science, but I kind of get the feeling that the entire companion arc was conceived around the pun 'something old, something new (Moffat specifically says in the 1st confidential thing that he redesigned the Tardis on the idea that it had old, modern & future components on the controls as the tardis would pick random items from throughout time to decorate itself with), something borrowed (ok, teary doctor explains that link), something blue'. So having realised that the saying can link to the tardis, the series is then set up so there is a wedding going to happen (also neatly avoiding the doe-eyed simpering of previous incarnations) and some way that the saying will save the day.

All in all, I think its a pretty good series arc, to me, more cohesive than recent previous ones :)

Anyway, that's enough gibbering twaddle from me :)
I'm almost positive that
after Rory says 'Its The Doctor, how did we forget The Doctor', and as Amy clambers over the tables, Rory says 'I'm plastic!?' Also, the Universe was recreated from the point that the Pandorica opened, where original Rory never existed. However, it was hinted that Auton Rory has all the memories of the real Rory, and might as well be him for all intents and purposes.
I wonder if, as with Data in ST:TNG, all of Auton Rory's bits are fully functional ............. if not, randy Amy will be very disappointed. ;)
Rory said "I was plastic", not "I am plastic". He's a normal human now, and everything is basically back to normal, just with Amy's parents back. Anything or anyone else that was swallowed by a crack is still gone because Amy wouldn't have known them to remember them.

My favourite part of that episode, apart from the Doctor's speech to Amelia at the end, was when he asked Auton Rory why he had to be so human, to which he replied "Because, right now, I'm not."
Finally got round to seeing it and yeah, I loved it! A truly awesome episode and a great way to end the season. If RTD had written something like that, I would be been applauding him, not slaughtering him over it (and for what it's worth, I did rather like the season two finale, even if it did uselessly waste having the Daleks and the Cybermen together).

I'm thinking that, under scrutiny, the plot doesn't quite work logically, since the Doctor got out of the Pandorica by giving Rory the sonic screwdriver and telling him to use it. Of course, the Doctor would already need to be out of the Pandorica to be able to do that... unless I'm missing something? Not that I really care - I find that the more fun I have watching something, the more I'm willing to forgive plot holes and I had an enormous amount of fun watching that!

We really have been treated this year. Steven Moffat, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan have made an awesome combo.
This series was the first time I've ever really followed Dr Who (the missus is a fan, whereas I generally hate anything vaguely sci-fi) and I thought it was fantastic.
Really liked that.
You only liked it cos there was a wedding in it!

ZOMGMAZIN' though. *wipes away tear*
It's even better when watched sober. Fantastic!
I loved it, loved the whole serious in fact. Smith is tremendous in the role.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I loved it, loved the whole serious in fact. Smith is tremendous in the role.

Do you mean the serious series which is seriously serious? ;)
I type fast and think slower.
I loved it! At one point I was waving my arms around in a kind of "Of course... That makes perfect sense" kind of way.

I tried explaining it all to the girlfriend but I was far too excited.
Bobbyaro wrote:
meh.

GTF! :D
Something I just remembered...

The Dr mentioned a "100 foot Cyberman walking the streets of London" in an earlier episode. Has this already happened is a previous series? Just wondering because I would like to see it...
It was in "The Next Doctor", which I believe was the 2008 Christmas Special. It wasn't very good, IMO.
He can rabble-rouse pretty well, this Doctor. Anyone else catch his cameo at Glastonbury? Orbital highlights, a mo ago on 2.
I'll have a look for that, cheers. Orbital's Who theme being the best one, and Matt Smith having quite a respectable taste in music it has to be said.
JBR wrote:
He can rabble-rouse pretty well, this Doctor. Anyone else catch his cameo at Glastonbury? Orbital highlights, a mo ago on 2.

kalmar wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
meh.

GTF! :D

Most of the episode felt like a trailer for next series, what wasn't seemed like filler. and it wasn't even very good filler. And it made no sense, not even no sense in a "well time travel is paradoxical" way, but no sense in a "glaring plot holes and inconsistent storyline" way.
I was left feeling disappointed. :(
I find I do agree with Bobbyaro on this. I did still enjoy the fun of it for the most part. It was just that it was all a little too easily thrown away via things like the sonic screwdriver opening the pandorica. The whole paradoxes thing was just silly really.
What were the plot holes and inconsistencies, then? It all made perfect sense to me at the time, but I may have missed something.
What's wrong with the sonic screwdriver opening the Pandorica? It opens pretty much anything else.

The Doctor said in part 1 that getting into the Pandorica wasn't a problem, he wanted to make sure he knew what was inside it before he let it out first, that was the issue.
Page 27 of 87 [ 4310 posts ]