Doctor Who
The boy/girl in the Blue Box!
Troughton and Pertwee had the weirdest faces. Y'know, I don't think the universe could have survived a gurn-off between them. God would have called an end to it right then and there.
I like Matt Smith just the way he is and I really enjoyed this weeks episode. All the downers that people are mentioning aren't stuff I noticed whilst watching it so it must have been doing something right.
TheVision wrote:
I like Matt Smith just the way he is and I really enjoyed this weeks episode. All the downers that people are mentioning aren't stuff I noticed whilst watching it so it must have been doing something right.

:this:
Previously in the RTD era I found too many things to be irritating and crap. (Not least DT himself)

I wasn't enjoying the stories enough to stop things jumping out at me as being rubbish. It doesn't seem to be the case now.

That isn't to say there aren't some spectacular stories in RTD era as there clearly are. There's many wonderful episodes. But overall this series has had a higher satisfaciton rating than previous for me. Though previous to that it was series 4 so maybe it's just the whole production team are getting better.

I wish RTD could have restrained himself more often because when he did he produced gold.

(Having said that the sheer bombast of series 4's ending was excellent fun. I think RTD managed to go through being crap and out the other side into ridiculous nonsense)
Nirejhenge wrote:
I thought he looked too young before I saw him act as The Doctor. I think Moffat was right when he said he was old and young at the same time.

What you want in a Timelord innit.

I never rated Tennant anyway but Smith really is good in the part.
It's funny before Tennant got the part I was incredibly excited, as he seemed to be just perfect.

And I guess he was. He was the Doctor to a tee.

The savage irony of the problem was that we got exactly what we wanted. And the complete lack of surprise in everything he did that accompanied that slowly hammered home over three series, so that by the end we were utterly unmoved by anything he did.

Matt Smith isn't trying to give people what they read as being the Doctor, he's flinging his own strangeness into the mix. Ecclestone did the same with his fascinating working-man, traumatised, giddy, survivor-floating on Rose-shaped-wreckage Doctor.
The thing I hated most about Tennant was the constant face pulling. It irked me no end. Plus the writing of everything being brilliant ("Earth and humans are absolutely amazingly fantastically brilliant! - Doctor David Darling) was irritating.

I still don't quite understand why people hold DT in such regard as an actor. I've never seen a decent performance from him in anything. When you compare to the likes of the actors of the 1930s.. he's merely amateur dramatics. Though I must admit it was impressive that I didn't detect the slightest bit of his Scottish accent when he was The Doctor.

So basically he was never anything like what I wanted from The Doctor.
NervousPete wrote:
HOLY SHIT!

Toby Jones was the diminutive supermarket clerk in the completely fucking terrifying 'The Mist' - I totally didn't see that but just found out on't net. Man, the dude has range. 8)

:this: Toby Jones is brilliant.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
:this: I agree with Nirejhenge. He perfectly conveys a sense of otherworldliness and ancientness behind the eyes; and who cares about how young he looks? The Doctor is 900 years old and none of them looked that old! Well, maybe Troughton.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm dimlie.
Dr Who 'live' on stage ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 118464.stm

Quote:
Daleks and Cybermen are to tread the boards as TV hit Doctor Who regenerates into a live action arena tour.

The Tardis will materialise in nine UK cities on a 25-date Doctor Who Live tour in a spin-off that will see epic on-stage battles and special effects.

While Doctor Who Matt Smith will not appear live on stage, he and assistant Karen Gillan have filmed special scenes for the show.

Writer Steven Moffatt said he wanted to recreate the excitment for the stage.
DOCTOR WHO TOUR DATES
Continue reading the main story

* Oct 8-10 - Wembley Arena
* Oct 12-13 - Sheffield Arena
* Oct 14-17 - Glasgow SECC
* Oct 18-20 - Birmingham NIA
* Oct 22-24 - Manchester MEN Arena
* Oct 25-26 - Notts Trent FM Arena
* Oct 28-31 - Cardiff Int Arena
* Nov 2-3 - Liverpool Echo Arena
* Nov 6-7 - Belfast Odyssey Arena

"This is everything I ever wanted since I was 11," he said. "A live show, with all the coolest Doctor Who monsters, a proper story, and brand new screen material for Matt Smith's Doctor.

"I'll be writing scenes for it, and probably attending every single night."

Doctor Who Live will open in wartime London and end with what is described as an "epic on-stage battle".

The action will be set to a live soundtrack by TV show composer Murray Gold, with a 16-piece orchestra live on stage.

Gold said: "The live element always adds something extra, but these will also be brand new arrangements for a new band of very talented musicians. It's very exciting."
They have actually done live Doctor Who stage thingies before - this was one I went to when I was a wee nipper in the late 80's: http://www.theultimateadventure.co.uk/. I remember loving it at the time - but it looks embarassing shite from that website!
Zio wrote:
They have actually done live Doctor Who stage thingies before - this was one I went to when I was a wee nipper in the late 80's: http://www.theultimateadventure.co.uk/. I remember loving it at the time - but it looks embarassing shite from that website!

Quote:
Jason's yodelling seems to upset the planet and they flee back inside the ship.

8)
Yeah, quite. I was 10 years old, it had the Daleks, the Cybermen and some natty laser effects in it. The plot I could live without.
DBSnappa wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
HOLY SHIT!

Toby Jones was the diminutive supermarket clerk in the completely fucking terrifying 'The Mist' - I totally didn't see that but just found out on't net. Man, the dude has range. 8)

Yeah, as soon as I saw him in the trailer I knew it was going to be a top episode. My only issue with it most of the way through was

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
that the village was so totally obviously the false reality.

Then we got the ending. Well played, sir. Well played.
Rodafowa wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
HOLY SHIT!

Yeah, as soon as I saw him in the trailer I knew it was going to be a top episode. My only issue with it most of the way through was

that the village was so totally obviously the false reality.

Then we got the ending. Well played, sir. Well played.

I don't kno2

That he could control both realities was something I picked up on fairly early. A 50:50 odds survival didn't seem to fit. 100:0 if not fgured out seemed much more likely.
That episode was boring and rubbish. Which is a bit of a shame as, if I remember rightly, Chibnal did 42 which I quite liked.
Busy day for the doctor, good job he is a time traveller:
Quote:
Live UEFA Champions League Final
Bayern Munich v Inter Milan (Kick-off 7.45pm). Matt Smith presents coverage of the showpiece match at the Bernabeu in Madrid, where the biggest prize in European club football is at stake. Inter enjoyed a memorable result in this country last month when, although they lost 1-0 on the night against holders and favourites Barcelona, they progressed to the final by a 3-2 aggregate scoreline, despite playing much of the second leg with 10 men at the Nou Camp. Another triumph tonight for Jose Mourinho's Italian side would further enhance the coach's reputation as one of the game's top managers, but they can take nothing for granted against the German champions, who showed great resolve when overcoming Manchester United on the away goals rule in the quarter-finals, before outclassing Lyon 4-0 on aggregate in the last four. With commentary by Clive Tyldesley and Jim Beglin. Subsequent programmes subject to change

Also, I liked that episode.
I liked it too. Not brilliant but good and enjoyable. :)
I found it the least engaging episode of the series. And Meera Syal irks somewhat by playing every character in everything in exactly the same way.
For me, Vampires of Venice was by far the least engaging episode this series.

The Hungry Earth very much reminded me of a classic series Pertwee episode.
What with it being almost the same as The Silurians and Inferno. It's just it felt like nothing happened.
I enjoyed it but I do think it was trying very hard to set the scene for next weeks episode. It's the typical "Other race trys to wipe out humans" story line.

Maybe it's because it's the first time I've watched it in HD properly, but I think it had a bit of a movie type feel to it. Not just in the visuals but in the message/story.
I liked it!
Conventional plot, dodgy man-in-suit aliens, visible gas used to subdue a captured assistant, Classic Who.
I'm not sure - I'll probably see how the second part goes. It felt like it could work as a 90 minute piece, so I hope to be pleasently surprised. It was good that the episode ended with the city, rather than the usual 'monster-approaching-companion' routine (although that was there too).

Still enjoying the Doc's arrogance, and the divine Amy.
I have a question... Do you think the waving Amy and Rory seen in the distance at the beginning of this episode had any relevance?

To me it seemed strange to include it.

Oh, and I would have spoilered that but I don't know how from my phone. It doesn't give anything away though.
Nirejhenge wrote:
I found it the least engaging episode of the series. And Meera Syal irks somewhat by playing every character in everything in exactly the same way.

I AM IN AGREEMENT.

Only really liked Matt Smith's continuing excellent portrayal of the Doctor, and not much else of the episode. (M. Smith did slip in Fake Tennant Mode a few brief occasions, but we'll overlook that.)

So far I find Amy Pond the least interesting of the new era companions. Not least likeable (I disliked Martha Jones more, with her unconvincing Children's BBC actress), but least interesting.
I think that episode was designed to appeal to hollow-earthers and/or David Icke fans.
End of an Era wrote:
I think that episode was designed to appeal to hollow-earthers and/or David Icke fans.

I'm neither of the above yet I still liked it. :)
Anonymous X wrote:
So far I find Amy Pond the least interesting of the new era companions. Not least likeable (I disliked Martha Jones more, with her unconvincing Children's BBC actress), but least interesting.

Actually, I like her a lot because she stands up to the Doctor, instead of being a doe eyed fawn or blank piece of nothingness. When he said he threw the TARDIS manual in a supernova, she was chastising him for doing something stupid, not questioning it. The one thing I have really been enjoying about this series is the almost Whedon levels of smart dialogue and Pond is a big part of that. (Makes you wonder why she is with the soppy sponge that is Rory actually.)

Oh, and she was quite happy to kill the Doctor last week, too.
I won't hear a word said against Amy, she's the best companion I've seen and I'm going to include Rose in that.

And yes, some of the dialog is brilliant this season, and it's delivered well too. The bit in the "dream" episode near the start, the Doctor denies it was a nightmare, more of a really good... mare. Had me genuine LOLing.

Rory is a twat though. In the drill episode, the Dr does have a look on his face at one point when Rory is bitching as though he's thinking of feeding him to the Silurians or whatever they are.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Meera Syal irks somewhat by playing every character in everything in exactly the same way.
I've done that for yearsh and everybody luvsh me.
\
I hadn't thought of it that way but actually, yes, a lot of the dialog this year has been very much like Joss Whedon's writing. So now I'm wondering what a Whedon-penned episode would look like.
Chock full of sassy beaver and all the better for it (but not every week, please).
Interview on the Beeb with Neil Gaimen on his experience of writing for Who

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 146657.stm

Quote:
The fantasy author Neil Gaiman has spoken of the divine power he felt while writing his TV episode of Doctor Who.

The author of Stardust and Coraline has already submitted his story, which is due to air in 2011.

"I don't know what it's like to be God - obviously," Gaiman told the BBC.

"Until that very first moment when you get to sit down and type the words in your script: INTERIOR. TARDIS."

He said: "Suddenly I got a very good idea of what it must feel like. I went: 'I'm writing it now this scene in the Tardis. I'm writing it!' And that was amazing, it was wonderful."
'Bit flabby'

Gaiman met Doctor Who show-runner Steven Moffat for a script read-through last week.

He posted a picture of himself on Twitter - with Moffat and writer Richard Curtis - holding up a copy of the script. His fingers obscured the episode title.

Gaiman said: "It's going to be shooting in August and we were going through it and figuring out ways that money could be saved and ways we could have some things happen faster.

"It was a little bit flabby."

The author also commented on Terry Pratchett's recent comments in SFX Magazine that Doctor Who shouldn't be "classified as science fiction".

"Doctor Who has never pretended to be hard science fiction," Gaiman said.

"At best Doctor Who is a fairytale, with fairytale logic about this wonderful man in this big blue box who at the beginning of every story lands somewhere where there is a problem..."

Gaiman, whose Neverwhere TV series was shown on the BBC in 1996, said he'd had to spend a long time "being coy" before it was revealed he was writing a Doctor Who story.

"Now I know what I can tell people: It will be on television - and it's in colour!"
Plissken wrote:
Makes you wonder why she is with the soppy sponge that is Rory actually.

I am forever stuck with the image of him playing the man fighting armies of coughs and runny noses in that ad from a while back.
I was bored by a lot of the episode. Might have been my state of mind when watching it though. I was very tired.

The dialogue and Smith's doctor were excellent though. I am enjoying his arrogance, as others have said. His "I will rescue everyone" schtick is getting very old, though, and I can only hope that he fails miserably to teach him a lesson.

I think the episode suffered from the supporting characters being boring or underdeveloped.

But it picked up towards the end.
Supporting characters being boring? Being annoying, more like.
Are we going to have to put up with Rory the whole time we have Amy? The last few episodes have tried very hard to show us that they are going to stay together and so short of one of them dying I can't see how it is going to explain Amy suddenly deciding to head off on solo adventures with The Doctor again. I lurrrve Amy.

I didn't have too many problems with that episode. It wasn't outstandingly amazing but it was decent enough. Agree about the dialogue, Amy and The Doctor have had some very good lines.
I think Rory is good. He is there for a specific reason, and is portraying it perfectly. The point is, no one could have stood against the adventures the doctor can take Amy on, and we didn't want another Dr/assistant love story, but we did want a foxy red head in short skirts. So, they have to combat that in the story, now, as I stated above, irrelevant of character, no one could be interesting when compared to the doctor, therefore the only way to combat that is to have a "true love story" where she chooses the person she loves, irrelevant of their flaws, over the adventures the doctor can take her on. Now, you can't have it both ways, you either get the sassy Amy who is willing to stand up to the doctor and choose the path of true love, or you can have a soppy Rose-esque story line. as we are bored of the latter, we want the former, that requires background and cohesion, Rory provides that.
Pfft. It's the 21st century. We need sassy, bolshy Amy who also happens to like to put it about a bit.
Damn right. Or Amy + female 'friend' ideally, really. Yes.
And then you would be accusing Moffat of having a lesbian agenda.
kalmar wrote:
Damn right. Or Amy + female 'friend' ideally, really. Yes.

I volunteer. I'll take one for the team. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it. etc etc etc. :hat:
See my above post! :DD
Bobbyaro wrote:

Amy Pond can lesbian my agenda anyday. Eh? Amiright?!
superdupergill wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

:hat:
superdupergill wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:See my above post!

Potw if we did that.
superdupergill wrote:
Amiright?!

A donut ?
So far, I think this has been the weakest series. Some flashes of good writing, but most episodes do not hang together well at all.

The "but think of the story" argument of a massive arc doesn't wash with me, as it'll always be a three act play, just with irritatingly long thirds.
MaliA wrote:
So far, I think this has been the weakest series. Some flashes of good writing, but most episodes do not hang together well at all.

The "but think of the story" argument of a massive arc doesn't wash with me, as it'll always be a three act play, just with irritatingly long thirds.

Hmm.

I think Mr. Chris is going to have to hand back that "King of Wrong" crown now.
Page 22 of 87 [ 4310 posts ]