Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Souls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 19:05 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

This game hates you, there is no love in this game, it is a game made from bile and the souls of tortured kittens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 19:21 
Comfortably Dumb

Bobbyaro wrote:
This game hates you, there is no love in this game, it is a game made from bile and the souls of tortured kittens.

They should put that on the back of the box.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 21:17 
I forgot about this - how vain

Bobbyaro wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
...this is a single player game where partying up does not affect the game at all -

But the invasions of other players into your world and you into theirs and the ability of summoning help affects the game and is one of the greatest parts of it.

And how does being in a party affect this?

Incredibly. It's probably the greatest online system I've ever played. Why?

Because Dark Souls forbids things. You can never hear someone speak. You can never play with a friend. You can never chat with friends, even in an unrelated party. You have soul signs and a handful of gestures and the ghosts of others.

The invader who burst unannounced into my game and took me to within a slither of my life. until I managed to scrape a victory, was A Giant. A torment. Someone who was better than me.

What he wasn't was a ten year old boy. Or a racist. Or a twat. Or even just a guy from norwich. And I never once came across as a the boring geek that I am.

Immersion is preserved at all costs. We are undead souls together.

I've summoned warriors akin to God, and I must have looked like one to some of the people who summoned me too. (I got pretty decent at killing Quelag for people).

Party chat would open the game up to much easy interaction, friends replacing summon signs until they show up in their friends world and such like. The moment any too people are co-oping together with voice chat (which Party chat could be abused for) then the games balance is fucked.

And balance comes first.

I commend FromSoftware so highly for having the guts for cutting it. To be honest I wish more games experimented with voice. Left 4 Dead et al should break your voice chat if you stray to far.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 21:25 

If struggling with a boss Chomp a humanity and look for someone to summon. It's not cheating, and has lead to the most rewarding parts of the game for me. If you don't have humanity drop your summon sign and help people try and take the demon on. If you win you get humanity and souls.

Also for Taurus Demon I know a cheaty mc cheaty way, thats close to a glich if you get really really stuck.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
You chicken?

[spoiler]Alright then chicken, get some firebombs. Run to the top and kill the archers. Lock on and hurl a firebomb at the Boss. Unlock and head down the ladder. Meanwhile he should have jumped up to get you. Once he jumps back down climb back up and repeat
[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Buyer beware I used that method and I think it meant I didn't have the training needed to take on the next guy (Capra) so it took me forever.

On NG+ I ran up to the TD and took him toe to toe, without losing a life. True Skills Learnt, not levelled.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 21:42 
Skillmeister

Is there anywhere I can sell stuff? I've found fat man who sells miracles, stupid nasal skinless man and a blacksmith behind some bars so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 21:48 

After you have
rung both bells
there is a character at
firelink
who will 'buy' stuff off you. But there is no real need. I never did at least.

I just saved my 'souls of a brave knight' and so on, for when there was something I couldn't afford that I wanted, or to top up my souls to the next level or something.

EDIT: Oh and if you buy a bottomless box you can off load junk into storage. (The only benefit of which is having your menus easier to navigate when in the middle of a battle),

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:23 
Comfortably Dumb

Dr Lave wrote:
After you have
rung both bells
there is a character at
firelink
who will 'buy' stuff off you. But there is no real need. I never did at least.

I just saved my 'souls of a brave knight' and so on, for when there was something I couldn't afford that I wanted, or to top up my souls to the next level or something.

EDIT: Oh and if you buy a bottomless box you can off load junk into storage. (The only benefit of which is having your menus easier to navigate when in the middle of a battle),

That's certainly what I need to do - offload a load of stuff I'm never going to use. I've had the bottomless box for ages too and not put anything in it yet.

Enjoying Anor Londo at the mo although some of the heights are a bit dizzying. Bit annoyed with myself for losing a load of souls against one of those grey demon things though and failing to retrieve them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:26 

I hate this game, I have been playing since 5:30 and I am still at the same bonfire!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:28 
Comfortably Dumb

Bobbyaro wrote:
I hate this game, I have been playing since 5:30 and I am still at the same bonfire!

You must be warm now at least. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:38 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Quote:
Left 4 Dead et al should break your voice chat if you stray to far.

Best idea ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:40 

Glad you've given it another shot, Dimrill.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:51 

Aye, and I think Bobby's getting drawn in too.

Highs and lows guys, highs and lows.

Also: Summon.
Also: you don't need to be human to be summoned. only to summon others.
Also: you can get a bitchin' sword by buying a bunch of arrows (>50) and shooting the shit out of the big red dragons tail.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 23:00 
Skillmeister

Drawn in? hardly. This really is utter dogshit. After witnessing the braying earlier in the thread I very nearly traded it in.

Another case for the prosecution: you can't aim crossbows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 23:02 
Skillmeister

Awesome! Someone's just invaded my game and killed me. This really is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 23:06 

Crossbows are auto-aim only, yeah. You can aim normal bows in first person view, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 

There's a first person view?
Also, "be human to summon", what are you talking about? I am an undead pyromancer who can't aim properly, and takes so long to summon fire that the skeletons I am fighting come to life, adjust their bones, have a cup of tea and walk over and slash me from chuffing miles away and kill me in one/two hits. I can't respond as moving cancel my fire spell (as does being hit), so I have no recourse but to use my weapon. Oh it is an axe, I have a third of the reach of the skeleton, oh I'm dead again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 

You can't kill skellingtonsuntil much later in the game (ones you have made a divine weapon) so don't go that way.

On humanity:

So occasionally in killing something the number in the top left of the screen will increase by 1. This is your humanity. You lose it like souls on death, but can pick it back up.

You can also find an item called humanity too. That's a solid bit of humanity that you can use at any point to increase your number by one too,

You can use your humanity points in 2 main way:

1) you can "reverse hollowing" for 1 humanity and become human again. This lets people invade your game (which can be bad) but also let's you use white signs on the floor to summon other players to help co-op bosses with you and is very good.

2) whilst human you can soen another 1 humanity to kindle a bonfire. This increases the number of estus flakes you get by 5 from that bonfire for ever. This is a great thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 13:46 
Bad Girl

Dr Lave wrote:
but also let's you use white signs on the floor to summon other players to help co-op bosses with you and is very good

Not just for the bosses but entire levels (I know you know this Lave, im just saying just for the wider audience) AND for invasions too.

I got invaded and had enough time to summon two people to help me kick the invader back to his own world. I was in the right spot obviously, but if you get know where the summons signs congregate you can often leg it to get help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 13:48 

But where does the game tell you any of this, I have read the manual and it doesn't mention any of these things. Have I just not go far enough yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 13:52 
Hibernating Druid

The pleasure is in discovering these things. This game is full of surprises. And death.

Mwaaaa ha haaaaa, MWAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA!

I've clocked it. :metul:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 14:42 
Hibernating Druid

Dimrill, you don't have to kill the Red Dragon at all. I did but much later on in the game when I was a right old tough cookie.

What is a very good thing to do is

Attack its tail with loads of arrows (or maybe use another method but that's what I did) and it drops a magic sword!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:06 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
Dimrill, you don't have to kill the Red Dragon at all. I did but much later on in the game when I was a right old tough cookie.

What is a very good thing to do is

Attack its tail with loads of arrows (or maybe use another method but that's what I did) and it drops a magic sword!

Stop trying to get him into it he obviously doesnt like it. Getting the drake sword would only be a temporary repreive (albeit a very welcome one).

Might as well flog or trade it, let someone get some lovely lovely use out of it.

Seriously, its meant to be hard and difficult to get into, and not spoon feed the player. This was well known before anyone buys the game, so where the suprise is, I dunno. calling this peice of art a smelly pile of crap is just ignorant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:08 
Hibernating Druid

LaceSensor wrote:
Stop trying to get him into it he obviously doesnt like it.

Yeah, but he was like this with sensual rimming too. He just needs the right guidance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:16 
Comfortably Dumb

Something that I've just remembered from earlier in my game...

Is there any significance to the sorceress and her two henchmen that you bump into when returning to Firelink Shrine? Is there any other option other than beating them all to death?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:26 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:

Is there any significance to the sorceress and her two henchmen that you bump into when returning to Firelink Shrine? Is there any other option other than beating them all to death?

Don't kill them if you want high end miracles. You'll encounter them again later

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:53 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
devilman wrote:

Don't kill them if you want high end miracles. You'll encounter them again later

Oops. I also killed the chubby bloke at Firelink (in that room of vases) at the start of the game when I was finding out if you could hit the NPCS. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:55 
Skillmeister

Yeah, I got the Drake sword last night, hence whinging about crossbows. While doing so a twat invaded my game and killed me, hence whinging. I wish there was a thread of something to follow in this. Just something to get me to continue playing. At the moment it's just following the path of least resistance for no discernible goal or reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:01 

Your goal is to ring the bell!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Dimrill wrote:
Yeah, I got the Drake sword last night, hence whinging about crossbows. While doing so a twat invaded my game and killed me, hence whinging. I wish there was a thread of something to follow in this. Just something to get me to continue playing. At the moment it's just following the path of least resistance for no discernible goal or reason.

Are you enjoying it any more than before? I know it's not a game for everyone and there have certainly been plenty of times where I've felt like packing it in, but then I get a little further and it keeps me going again - thankfully not in a grinding sense either. There have been plenty of times where I've gone for a wander back through the Undead Burg/Parish just for the fun of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:03 
Skillmeister

No, I'm not. Grinding souls for levels can fuck off. This isn't a job, this is supposed to be fun. And it's not. At all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:17 

I never grinded in the game, bar one arguable moment when I was waiting to be summoned for the fun Quelag boss and so killed a few monsters until I was summoned by someone... I got no more than half a level that way and I was level 100 by the end.

It seems rather ill suited to you Dimmers. Sorry...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:28 
Hibernating Druid

I grinded but only so I could used some spells that I wanted, but didn't actually need.

It was still fun as I was tonking big bastards who had handed my arse to me previously.

Dimrill: You find out the 'story' as you play along, for now all you know is that the two bells need to be rang.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it. It's a brutal game and certainly not for everyone, if it hasn't given you the urge to continue by the first bell I'd jack it in. Or jack it in now I suppose, your shout really. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:36 
Skillmeister

I can handle brutal difficulty, it's the brutal boredom that's getting the better of me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:43 
Bad Girl

I thought you were whining cause you kept getting killed. Sounds like the difficulty is too much for you, although difficulty and boredom aren't mutually exclusive.

Best just leave it for us that are überacebest at video games. :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:45 
Hibernating Druid

Dimrill wrote:
I can handle brutal difficulty, it's the brutal boredom that's getting the better of me.

Fair enough. Shame though as I thought you'd love this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:01 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:
No, I'm not. Grinding souls for levels can fuck off. This isn't a job, this is supposed to be fun. And it's not. At all.

Don't. I don't think anyone here grinder souls for levels.

The actual improvement between levels is rather deceptive. (you're generally better off spending souls on upgrading weapons)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:15 
Skillmeister

Had to. The Drake sword has a minimum 16 strength requirement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:16 
Hibernating Druid

Don't listen to Dave, he rushed through it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:21 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:

If you used it 2 handed, it's much less. I had to for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:22 
Comfortably Dumb

Dimrill wrote:

There are quite a few weapons that you'll need various requirements to use and you won't be able to use for a while (at least in my case), so it's case of using other stuff in the meantime as your character grows stronger. I've not got round to killing that dragon yet as I'm avoiding ranged combat and magic so I want to be able to fight him outright when he jumps out into the middle bit. The fire tends to rather wipe me out pretty quickly though, so I'll go back later with better stuff equipped.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:33 
Hibernating Druid

It will be great to pick up a cheap copy of this down the line to play through again and make different choices. Looking at the Wiki there are loads of things I missed out on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 19:58 

oh my fucking god! I finally, finally beat that Taurus demon, and meet some saint geezer, see a load of bad guys on a bridge, cautiously inch towards them, then without warning get killed instantly from 4/5ths health by a fucking dragon! No warning, nothing! Fuck you game you fucking piece of scrotum sucking bastard crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:02 
Skillmeister

Horrible, isn't it? By the time I met Mr Shit Draggin I'd got metal armour on, so I was less flammable. Still damn near killed me though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:05 
Paws for thought

No warning aside from the whacking great big dragon you can see peering at you, you mean?

Edit: Well, that's curious. He apparently isn't always there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:08 
Skillmeister

Mr Dave wrote:
No warning aside from the whacking great big dragon you can see peering at you, you mean?

It gives you no warning when he appears for the first time. He does a fly-over from behind before perching up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:15 

It's not even fun(ny). No option but to get killed, lose all you souls (I had almost 10k) and you can't retrieve them as you get roasted. Brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:16 

This isn't Skyrim, Dragons are, well, Dragons.

And yeah, erm, how can you miss the bloody great big dragon (that is foreshadowed a few mins earlier by flying over your head)? It's sitting there filling the best part of the entire screen and roaring!

I think maybe you stuck in the normal-game mindset that 'ooh that will trigger a cut scene' where you need to be of the mindset 'shit, I've not been here before and THERE IS A FUCKING DRAGON!' and then inch forward terrified.

This is a game all about patience. Running forward to meet 3 guys on the bridge is suicide. Running forward to meet 3 guys on the bridge when there is also a DRAGON is suicide. Assuming the Dragon will wait till you've finished is suicide.

Because, it is a Dragon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:17 
Skillmeister

There are safe zones either side of the battlements. The one on the right has a set of stairs which'll be your only way forward that's not filled with draggin. It'll lead to a ladder you can kick to get back to the bonfire.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:19 
Skillmeister

Dr Lave wrote:
(that is foreshadowed a few mins earlier by flying over your head)

Because when he does that, he roasts the entire battlement. If you're not looking directly upwards (and who would be when there's men approaching you with spears), you get toasted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 20:20 

Dimrill wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Ah, yeah, maybe that is how it happens...

It gives you no warning when he appears for the first time. He does a fly-over from behind before perching up there.

In thats the case it's basically a test to see if you have learnt that you never, ever, run towards the bad guys. You walk. Shield up. Sizing them up. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Then the dragon flys overhead and kills them forward.

This isn't a game where you can repeat what you did last time, but this time it will work (which is how I play about 95% of games, so took me a long time to shake the habit). You have to work out what you are doing wrong. And stop doing it.

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 59  Next