Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:48 
INFINITE POWAH

It's like you're trying to make some sort of a point, but I can't fathom what it could possibly be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BikNorton wrote:
The best thing about the X-Mans is in the third where Scott gets exploded and no-one bothers even pretending to care, or even really notice.

Absolute brilliance, that scene. It's like the editors consigned it and every reference to it to the cutting room floor, only forgot to actually take it out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:
To be fair, if you had to watch it again because the camerawork meant you couldn't take it in properly the first time, the camerawork was shit. I don't watch films twice to make up for the director's failings.

Can you actually say that there was any aspect of the camerawork that improved the film?

Yes, because I think the camerawork is integral in portraying the adrenalised confusion of the fighting and chasing - it's meant to be blurry and overwhelming because it's trying to make you feel like you're part of it. Whether it's completely successful is obviously subjective but I can understand what they're trying to achieve and for you to dismiss it as a director's failings is your loss really. Most decent and/or excellent films demand repeated viewings simply because of the staggering amount of work that goes into it cannot be fully appreciated in one hit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've seen tons of films that achieve a real sense of speed, adrenaline, and excitement. Most of them manage to do it whilst actually showing you the film at the same time.

Repeat viewings to understand nuances of dialogue, plot, or even careful stagework and cinematography I can understand. Repeat viewing because it's all a bit blurry? No thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:12 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:
I've seen tons of films that achieve a real sense of speed, adrenaline, and excitement. Most of them manage to do it whilst actually showing you the film at the same time.

Repeat viewings to understand nuances of dialogue, plot, or even careful stagework and cinematography I can understand. Repeat viewing because it's all a bit blurry? No thanks.

You're being dogmatic for the sake of it now. When did you watch the Bourne sequel? 2 years ago? 3? I said I agreed with you as I felt the same way on first viewing but I also said I've seen it since, may times and I disagree with you as I think the way it was filmed actually has a purpose. You can argue but until you've seen it more than once it's just your opinion versus mine and you're being wrong on lots of things today :p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm really not. That was one film where I walked out of it thinking solely that the camerawork was a fuckup, that I had a headache, and that I wished I'd been able to work out what was going on in most of the action sequences.

Plenty of other films convey a sense of speed and exhilaration without any of that bullshit.

I totally believe you that subsequent viewings improve it - but why should I bother? I've got plenty of other stuff to watch that doesn't demand that I alter my viewing behaviour to suit its ideas of how to watch it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:27 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:
I'm really not. That was one film where I walked out of it thinking solely that the camerawork was a fuckup, that I had a headache, and that I wished I'd been able to work out what was going on in most of the action sequences.

Plenty of other films convey a sense of speed and exhilaration without any of that bullshit.

I totally believe you that subsequent viewings improve it - but why should I bother? I've got plenty of other stuff to watch that doesn't demand that I alter my viewing behaviour to suit its ideas of how to watch it.

Because a friend with good taste in movies recommended it and you'll waste many more hours in your life watching stuff that is genuinely rubbish when this isn't. I'm not arguing that the editing and shooting style was right because it does overwhelm and confuse initially but it's a style of film making that's been lifted and used in other films since and you do get used to it. It was the first movie I'd seen that used such frenetic camera work but it's been copied ad nauseum since then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:29 
Isn't that lovely?

I must say I didn't have a problem watching Bourne2 at all and quite enjoyed it.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:33 

Me neither, for confusingly shot (yeah I know it's CGI) fight scenes I think Transformers is the worst offender.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:36 
Skillmeister

Lord of the Rings. Fellowship of the Ring. Moria. Balin's tomb. Urgh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:37 
PC Gamer

DBSnappa wrote:
Craster wrote:
To be fair, if you had to watch it again because the camerawork meant you couldn't take it in properly the first time, the camerawork was shit. I don't watch films twice to make up for the director's failings.

Can you actually say that there was any aspect of the camerawork that improved the film?

Yes, because I think the camerawork is integral in portraying the adrenalised confusion of the fighting and chasing - it's meant to be blurry and overwhelming because it's trying to make you feel like you're part of it.

That's it exactly. I'm the first person to complain about action sequences being fucked up by shitty camerawork (Daredevil, I'm looking at you) but the latter two Bourne films are rare examples of someone making that sort of extreme close-up shakeycam hyper-quick editing actually work to the film's advantage. Part of the reason that the series pulls off the unlikely feat of making you think that Matt Damon (aparrent age: 13) is a legitimate badass is the awesome camerawork and editing. See: the fight at the end of the Morocco rooftop chase, conducted at Ludicrous Speed and yet you're still able to follow the flow of moves and counter-moves.

Also: X-Men 2 is miles better than the original. Better script, better characters, better sets, more interesting story, fewer lines about frogs being hit by lightning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:41 
Sleepyhead

Mr Chris wrote:
Nightwatch (it *sort of* is)

It certainly contains vampires, so I'd say it's a vampire film. One, admittedly, that's also about magicians of sorts.

Though I'd say that 'Night Watch' was better than 'Day Watch'. I'm still sad that they changed the plot so dramatically from the books.

Oh, and anyone watching any version of these films other than the 'Theatrical' version (aka the versions with the best subtitles ever) needs to watch them again, properly (unless they, like, understand Russian).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You can't get Day Watch with proper subtitles, I don't think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Rodafowa wrote:
Part of the reason that the series pulls off the unlikely feat of making you think that Matt Damon (aparrent age: 13) is a legitimate badass is the awesome camerawork and editing.

And my objection is that you shouldn't need to have to make up for the inability to choreograph a decent fight scene or chase sequence by deliberately obscuring most of it with the camera.

Quote:
See: the fight at the end of the Morocco rooftop chase, conducted at Ludicrous Speed and yet you're still able to follow the flow of moves and counter-moves.

And I felt that I couldn't follow it, and it was the worse for that.

@DBSnappa, you're right - it has been copied lots, and while I still don't think it's a good scene, I think everyone else has done it better. Even Bourne 3 used the technique in such a way that it was more entertaining and much less nausea-inducing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:46 

I agree with Roda and Snappa. I've seen loads of films where the closeup shakycam thing made the film worse. In Bourne 2 and 3, I felt it made it better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Wasn't it pioneered in that old US cop show with the ginger guy from CSI Miami?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:48 

Grim... wrote:
Not on any home release, no. Also, the director's cut of Day Watch (which is about 20 minutes longer and has an awful lot more stuff) only has boring subs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:49 
baron of techno

Mr Chris wrote:
Wasn't it pioneered in that old US cop show with the ginger guy from CSI Miami?

NYPD Blue, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:38 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Not on any home release, no. Also, the director's cut of Day Watch (which is about 20 minutes longer and has an awful lot more stuff) only has boring subs.

Thankfully I saw it at the cinema, so got to see the glorious subtitles, in all their blood-spattered awesomeness.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:43 
Comfortably Dumb

Craster wrote:

Have you seen Final Fantasy-Advent Children? Obviously all CGI but some of the fight sequences were just unfathomable.. particularly some bit on bikes if I remember rightly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Really? I never got that at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:14 
Awesome
Yes

devilman wrote:
Have you seen Final Fantasy-Advent Children? Obviously all CGI but some of the fight sequences were just unfathomable.. particularly some bit on bikes if I remember rightly.

I watched that when it first came out, in the original Jampampanese, which meant I had an incredibly rudimentary understanding of what was going on.

I started off trying to relate it to the plot of the game, but then people who were supposed to be dead starting turning up, and I got all confused. Is it worth watching as an English dub?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd say so. The fight in the church is ace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 17:42 
Comfortably Dumb

I think the version I've got is subtitled so maybe I need to get a dubbed version too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 0:45 
Skillmeister

Hmmmm. I notice that Mr Tarantino is talking about a Kill Bill 3. But he wants Uma to age 10 years first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 0:49 
Time Out for Fun

Dimrill wrote:
Hmmmm. I notice that Mr Tarantino is talking about a Kill Bill 3. But he wants Uma to age 10 years first.

Well the original Bill is dead which one is she going to kill next? Murray? Clinton? Gates? the alternate BETEO forum?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:27 
UltraMod

OMG SPOILERZ!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 
Sitting balls-back folder

Kill Zombie Bill, obviously.

That's the real reason he wants to wait 10 years, he's hoping someone invents actual zombies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
Payback - Straight Up: The Direcotor's Cut is the DVD you need to look for.

Watched this last night. Shamefully, I thought it was terrible. Where Gibson's cut was strangely light hearted on top of the grimness, the Director's Cut is just grim. It's got crappy 'gangster movie' music playing constantly throughout, the noir-ish quality of the visuals has been scrubbed off and the recut scenes and different takes remove the slight impression of motivation that Porter had in the original, turning him into a ridiculously stubborn thug, albeit a highly resourceful one.

And the ending? Pish. I hate non-endings. It feels like you've been ripped off after investing time and interest in a movie. See also Burn After Reading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 
Goth

Interesting. I did like the original version of Payback with it having the element of fun. It does sound like this version is rubbish. May investigate it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 
SavyGamer

Payback (DC - only version I've seen) is so fucking good. It even makes Mel Gibnson likeable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:40 
Unpossible!

LewieP wrote:
Payback (DC - only version I've seen) is so fucking good. It even makes Mel Gibnson likeable.

Now see, I dunno. I reckon he was in the original, but there's a few elements to the DC that just make him seem emotionless and basically a fool. Oh and remorseless murderer, natch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:41 
INFINITE POWAH

MrDavPaz wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Now see, I dunno. I reckon he was in the original, but there's a few elements to the DC that just make him seem emotionless and basically a fool. Oh and remorseless murderer, natch.

I've not seen the DC, but the original was brilliant, because he wasn't a complete cunt, he just wanted his money back. You sympathised with him despite his shady background and questionable methods, because he was basically decent, but just out for some justice. And his money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrDavPaz wrote:
I hate non-endings. It feels like you've been ripped off after investing time and interest in a movie. See also Burn After Reading.

How did Burn After Reading not end?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
MrDavPaz wrote:
I hate non-endings. It feels like you've been ripped off after investing time and interest in a movie. See also Burn After Reading.

How did Burn After Reading not end?

It's still going now, I can't stop the DVD. Clooney's character is watching Flashforward on his TiVo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:54 
UltraMod

Surely it ended with them setting fire to the rest of the home counties?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:09 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Dimrill wrote:

She's a Hollywood actor. They can just chisel off the make-up, surely?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or trowel some on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:25 
Excellent Member

Speaking of tarantino, i went to see Inglorious Basterds this weekend. I was late to the party, but i'm glad i was since there was only 5 people in the room and i can't stand the sound of chewing popcorns. The movie was glorious, my favorite tarantino by far and a near perfect one in its own right. And the jewish girl was gorgeous. Tarantino surely has a knack to cast attractive females.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

RuySan wrote:
Tarantino surely has a knack to cast attractive females.

8)

He does?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Tarantino surely has a knack to cast attractive females.

8)

He does?

Er, yes?

CBA to find the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Was that photo supposed to support your point in some way, Grim...?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:56 
Skillmeister

Also

By the power of Greyskull Pam Grier's wonderful.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:

I am aware of your view on women, sir. It's broken.

INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

I am aware of your view on women, sir. It's broken.

Only in one very specific way. Anyway, I prefer the term "non-mainstream".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Thurman? The girl that robs the cafe in PF? The well ugly psychotic-looking japanese schoolgirl with the flail from Kill Bill? Thurman again? Lucy Liu?

The only vaguely attractive person I can think of from any of Tarantino's films is the woman that gets all her limbs cut off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:10 
Skillmeister

PAM GRIER.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Can't think of anyone else at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:12 
Unpossible!

Craster wrote:
Can't think of anyone else at all.

The waitress in Reservoir Dogs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:12 
UltraMod

Pam somebody or other.. Shriver?

Reply to topic  [ 21162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 424  Next