Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: XBL / EA servers compromised ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 16:58 

Craster wrote:
Yeah, it is. It's non-simple though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:07 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
WTB wrote:
Also gonna change my Live ID to a different email address and get shot of my old Hotmail for good.
Is that possible now? It used to be, then it stopped being possible last time I tried it (a couple of years ago).

Yeah, but you have to do it through the chuffing console!

First create a new Live ID, then go into account management on the console and the option is there.

Edit: to clarify, I didn't 'change' my Live ID. I created a new one and associated that with my Gamertag, leaving my old Hotmail Live ID to die.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:16 

Oh. Hmm. I still use this Live ID for Messenger, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:18 

Messenger?! Regardless, there's nothing stopping you having two Live IDs I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:20 

WTB wrote:
Messenger?!
It's how Grim... and I maintain our BEEX LEET CLEEQ.

Quote:
Regardless, there's nothing stopping you having two Live IDs I suppose.
But also no particularly advantage in doing so. The password is a secure one I only use for that account and I've never typed into anything dodgy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:24 

Well sure! I just felt it was high time I changed mine seeing as it has been my 'throwaway' email address for nine years. I'd always use it to sign up for potentially spammy things and stuff, so it's definitely 'out there'. The address itself I mean, not any passwords - my password was pretty strong and recently changed. It's just now rather than someone possibly trying to brute force my account, they don't even have the username to try that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:39 
Excellent Member

In summary: the shits.

Luckily i have been using the prepay cards for live/points for years so the card they have on file is two cards ago. However I cannot delete this as it says it is still linked to my gold membership (despite being purchased via a pre paid card) and i am now going through the fun of recovering my profile.
Is there any way to remove this , as i'm not reading 3 pages (well, i did, but i can't see an answer) and i trust BEEX far above any other source of info....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:47 

zaphod79 wrote:
A few posts about the 'non' hack

But to get hold of so many player's details they'd have to run these 'scams' for an awful long time. But as I understand it this story has only just exploded today. So, did they 'phish' and 'befriend' the information out of hundreds or thousands of gamers and then simultaneously defraud them all at the same time? Or has this been going on for ages and the story has just come to light at the same time as Myp's problems by nothing more than a coincidence of timing?

And yes, what exactly IS the point of this scam? To buy points, spend points, then what? Download them to another console and play them off there - but then you can't play those games when the original account isn't signed in and online, so when the gamertag is recovered, what is the point?

I'm having trouble seeing the benefit to the scammers in all of this.

Any update from MS, Myp?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:54 
Sitting balls-back folder

markh wrote:
However I cannot delete this as it says it is still linked to my gold membership (despite being purchased via a pre paid card) and i am now going through the fun of recovering my profile.
Is there any way to remove this , as i'm not reading 3 pages (well, i did, but i can't see an answer) and i trust BEEX far above any other source of info....
It's a tit - if you entered pre-paid cards before the credit-card sub expired, it's counted as a continuation, so you need to wait until your current sub expires (having carefully made sure that auto-renew is off on xbox.com). You can try ringing support if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:57 

Mimi wrote:
Download them to another console and play them off there - but then you can't play those games when the original account isn't signed in and online, so when the gamertag is recovered, what is the point?
A download is tied to the purchasing console or account, so all accounts on the naughty xbox can access the ill-gotten goods.

Which consoles you'd think MS would be able to track and brick, unless they're filled and then unplugged, never to touch Live again. It does seem a bit baffling. Although can you 'gift' avatar tat?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:57 
Excellent Member

Dammit, my current sub ends Jan 2013!
I may try support, although having spoke to them once this morning i don't feel encouraged.
I had an email saying i had failed to purchase 6k of points as my card had expired, which set this whole sorry affair in motion - despite my password being changed etc, they could find no record of this attempted transaction.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:59 

Er. The email didn't say "6k Points purchase failure! Click http://live.xbox.com.filthy.spammer-bas ... your_email to find out more!" did it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 17:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
A few posts about the 'non' hack

But to get hold of so many player's details they'd have to run these 'scams' for an awful long time. But as I understand it this story has only just exploded today. So, did they 'phish' and 'befriend' the information out of hundreds or thousands of gamers and then simultaneously defraud them all at the same time? Or has this been going on for ages and the story has just come to light at the same time as Myp's problems by nothing more than a coincidence of timing?

It's been going on for a few months, every since Fifa 12 was released in fact, it just hasn't affected enough people to get above the waterline until now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:01 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
Er. The email didn't say "6k Points purchase failure! Click live.xbox.com.filthy.spammer.ru?your_email to find out more!" did it?

Nope!
there was no link, plus it was like the usual email you get when you redeem points etc from billing.microsoft.com. I didn't click on any links etc, just tried to log onto live (to check my points balance) on the 360 and found my password changed....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:10 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mimi wrote:
But to get hold of so many player's details they'd have to run these 'scams' for an awful long time. But as I understand it this story has only just exploded today.

Its been going on for a number of months (have a look at the posts at the start of this thread which are from early October and even then it was 'a few weeks old' , I do think they are going through times when its happening more often and I'm not entirely sure i believe all the stuff thats written about it - I also wonder (given the timing) if any is related to the various other password hacking problems over the last 6 months (e.g. there was a recent Sony one where Sony came forward and said that someone had basically just thrown something like 10,000 username / password combinations at PSN and a number of them were valid and they were now going to lock out those accounts).

I am also suspicious of the links to EA

Mimi wrote:
So, did they 'phish' and 'befriend' the information out of hundreds or thousands of gamers and then simultaneously defraud them all at the same time? Or has this been going on for ages and the story has just come to light at the same time as Myp's problems by nothing more than a coincidence of timing?

I think that Myp has just been unlucky in 'this batch'

Mimi wrote:
And yes, what exactly IS the point of this scam? To buy points, spend points, then what? Download them to another console and play them off there - but then you can't play those games when the original account isn't signed in and online, so when the gamertag is recovered, what is the point?

The points can be used to buy Fifa points which can be transferred to other accounts freely so can then be 'sold' on Ebay for real cash (probably a fraction of what they were bought for) and i dont know about games on demand but again they could be downloaded and played by any account on that machine (although XBL titles can be 'revoked' from a system I do not know if games on demand can be)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:15 
UltraMod

So MS are categorically saying they haven't been hacked - ok. Why is there complete silence to do with the EA link? The problems before were to do with Fifa 12, and now my account has been compromised a mere couple of weeks after I tied my gamertag to Origin.

Doc G: can you not use your contacts at tuaw to probe a bit deeper into this? MS could be completely telling the truth, but the fact is that the weak link could be the company who forces you to register with them to play the sodding games, with MS's explicit approval.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:16 

myp it wrote:
Doc G: can you not use your contacts at tuaw to probe a bit deeper into this?
TUAW? Not really, no, there's not much overlap between my (feeble) list of contacts and the Xbox Live world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:18 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
myp it wrote:
Doc G: can you not use your contacts at tuaw to probe a bit deeper into this?
TUAW? Not really, no, there's not much overlap between my (feeble) list of contacts and the Xbox Live world.

What about during the RichardGaywood gamertag hooha? No insider sources at Microsoft? Shame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:21 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

well silence implies an issue with ea. ms may want that, it is a useful scapegoat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:24 

myp it wrote:
What about during the RichardGaywood gamertag hooha? No insider sources at Microsoft? Shame.
Actually, I do have Nick Bennett on a few social networks, but I doubt he's going to tell me anything about this!

(The guy's gamerscore is 215,610. He's well ahead of even Dimmers.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 18:29 

I imagine EA's still big enough to tell Microsoft "You just keep your filthy hussy mouth shut" - Microsoft truthfully tell everyone nothing but "Live has not been hacked", the lie being through omission.

Which isn't to say that MS aren't in fact staring at a tattered, bloody wreck of an arsehole somewhere inside their data warehouses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:18 

Annnnnnd all paid up for 12 months. Ahhh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:36 
UltraMod

Nottingham Post reporter wants to send a photographer to take a picture of me with my Xbox. Decided that's far too geeky, even for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:42 

Would you be looking forlorn, holding the Xbox?

Post subject: XBL / EA servers compromised ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:43 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

myp it wrote:
Nottingham Post reporter wants to send a photographer to take a picture of me with my Xbox. Decided that's far too geeky, even for me.

End of Movember? They'd stick you straight onto the sex register.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:45 

Oh man! Do it, myp! You have to!

GAY PAEDO USES XBOX LIVE TO GROOM SMALL BOYS

NOTTINGHAM, UK. A child fondling sex pest's devious perverted video game grooming ring was brought crashing down by hackers yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:49 
Skillmeister

For fuck's sake don't give them a photo. It's bad enough somebody's got your gamertag. Next thing you know you'll be walking along the streets of Nottingham and you'll see someone with your face.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or they'll unlock your phone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:13 

Your face has your face.

Also: WTF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myp it wrote:

I'll never speak to you again if you don't do this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:21 

Craster wrote:
myp it wrote:

That doesn't sound like much of an incentive. :p

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:25 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
For fuck's sake don't give them a photo. It's bad enough somebody's got your gamertag. Next thing you know you'll be walking along the streets of Nottingham and you'll see someone with your face.

I'm actually more concerned that one of my neighbours will recognise me and then know I've got luxury goods to rob.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:27 
Skillmeister

Use this one. I loved you in Frankingsteing Must be Destroyed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:43 
UltraMod

I almost did just take a creepy pic of me and my Xbox, but I just know that one of you wags would email it to the newspaper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 21:45 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
myp it wrote:

:this:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 21:48 
Skillmeister

myp it wrote:
I almost did just take a creepy pic of me and my Xbox, but I just know that one of you wags would email it to the newspaper.

Like this one?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 
Slightly Brackish

I done all them things what you said, and I've been boycotting EA for almost a year now* and every month seems to give me a new reason to continue that, so I'm untouchable now. YES YOU HEARD ME GODS, UNTOUCHABLE!!!

I didn't realise Dead Space 2 was one of theirs when I ordered it so that was an inadvertent exception :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 14:24 
UltraMod

Finally agreed to a compromise for the photo, only to find out we can't logistically get it done in time now. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 14:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

When's it going in the paper?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:05 

myp it wrote:
Finally agreed to a compromising photo for the paper
is, bafflingly, how I chose to misread that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:09 
Hibernating Druid

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:10 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:

Tomorrow. I expect I'll come across as a total loser who has nothing more to his life than playing Xbox online.

Which is true, to be fair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:11 
Hibernating Druid

Don't be so harsh, you also like chatting to men online about moustaches.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Since we'really not going to see the picture? What comprise did you reach?

Were you going to be a silhouette like on Crimewatch?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:24 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Since we'really not going to see the picture? What comprise did you reach?

Were you going to be a silhouette like on Crimewatch?

Instead of me at home with my Xbox we had agreed on a picture outside of Game instead. Then I was asked if I could make 1:30pm today, which I couldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:24 
Unpossible!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:45 

USELESS CUNT HAS XBOX ACCOUNT HACKED

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:51 
Gogmagog

myp it wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Tomorrow. I expect I'll come across as a total loser who has nothing more to his life than playing Xbox online.

Which is true, to be fair.

I've asked my friends in Nottingham to buy copies. I've had to spend money putting in an advert for an aunt I don't have, mind you, so I'm not associated with a total loser who has nothing more to his life than playing Xbox online, but that's small beer.

Seriously, have you heard anything more back from XBox at all? I'm really quite surprised at what's happened with their responses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:51 
Hibernating Druid

MOUSTACHED XFACTOR WANNABE LEAVES BACK END WIDE OPEN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Did you say it's tomorrows paper or todays?

Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next