US Election Night
Bad vs worse, live!
Go go election!
Watching Fox news because why not?
I don't have that on Virgin :(
Megyn kelly is hot and there is a chance of coulter for a guilty wank.
Holy crap, Dubya didn't vote for Trump.
I'm expecting there to be a few projections that turn out to be wrong after the count, so it could be a very interesting week after tonight
There's a few news channels steaming on YouTube -- Sky is there, and we just switched over to PBS.
Shooting in a polling office in California. Christ.
Grim... wrote:
Holy crap, Dubya didn't vote for Trump.

Of course not. He made a fool out of his brother.
I basically want Clinton to win because I think Hollow Optimism is slightly preferable to Cynical Pessimism.
The early results aren't looking promising. Might need a few more beers.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The early results aren't looking promising. Might need a few more beers.

Early announcers are always going to be republican states.

Virginia and Florida are the important ones.
The BBC detailed results shows trump leading most key states.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The BBC detailed results shows trump leading most key states.

Low population density counties count faster, report earlier, and vastly skew Republican. Denser urban areas report later and skew heavily Democrat. It's just too soon to know much.
The polling rules have always seemed really odd, polling stations opening for different times, with different polling methods. Even some states having different rules for how they give out points, why is not standard across the country?
Malc wrote:
The polling rules have always seemed really odd, polling stations opening for different times, with different polling methods. Even some states having different rules for how they give out points, why is not standard across the country?

States like being able to make their own rules.
Cras wrote:
Malc wrote:

I'd make votes in my state worth 10,000 votes each.
Cras wrote:
Malc wrote:

Yeah, I understand that, but surely this a Federal issue?
This is not helping my severe anxiety issues.
One positive for Clinton:

If Florida is a toss up, as it seems, that indicates that polling is largely sound. That means she'll hold her firewall and probably take Nevada too.
The commentators are sounding increasingly desperate.
Yeah, America appear to have screwed themselves.

They deserve everything they get.
This is certainly not the election pollsters and pundits were expecting.
Was really hoping not to read this news this morning. Just feel sickened.
And that's it. I don't think Clinton has a way back now.
I woke up, saw the headlines, tried to watch TV but can't face it. Put the radio on: Jim Naughtie's dulcet tones are slightly more calming.
Yay. There's that crushing, 6am post-brexit feeling again
I remember feeling down in 2000 and 2004. George W Bush doesn't look so bad now,
So we can look forward to The Silent Majority appearing in US, now? By that I mean empowered, closet racists, natch
DavPaz wrote:
Yay. There's that crushing, 6am post-brexit feeling again

:this: :(

Can we go and set up our own Beex island somewhere?
DavPaz wrote:
So we can look forward to The Silent Majority appearing in US, now? By that I mean empowered, closet racists, natch

They'll get their guy on the Supreme Court, the prize they wanted.
I'm wondering if they'll manage to acquire a backbone anytime soon. Somehow I doubt it. Failing to Find one might just mean the party never has to lose power, and clearly party comes first.
So, how long until we get brexit style "I only voted for Trump/Bernie/noone because I didn't think trump would actually win" regret.
This wall better be amazing.
MaliA wrote:
This wall better be amazing.

But the Peso has crashed: the Mexicans won't be able to afford it.
Haha Team Clinton only booked the room until 2am and just told all the supporters to go home!
DavPaz wrote:

I think there is a lot to be said about the press viewing Brexit/Trump supporters through a prism of moral superiority which has landed these results. If anything, I think it has steeled resolve and given the anti establishment theme momentum. Both messages were about reclamation of power from a political elite. And huge walls.
The press and themselves, of course.
Do does this mean the pound will be stronger against the dollar and Toblerones will go back to their old shape?

Frankly I'm astounded, Clinton was a very poor candidate but Trump is a whole other level of awfulness. Quite staggering.

I wonder who he's eyeing up for a good nuking first?
Lots of places saying Clinton has called Trump and conceded.
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I think there is a lot to be said about the press viewing Brexit/Trump supporters through a prism of moral superiority which has landed these results. If anything, I think it has steeled resolve and given the anti establishment theme momentum. Both messages were about reclamation of power from a political elite. And huge walls.

And instead giving power to a man literally decks out his "castle" with gold thrones.
Grim... wrote:
Lots of places saying Clinton has called Trump and conceded.

As is Team Trump. It's over.

Holy shit.
Amazing how a simple billionaire can realise their dream of becoming President. That's the magic of that great republic.
Kern wrote:
That's the magic of that great republic.

In fairness, if he'd lost then America would have spent at least 24 years being run by someone called Bush or Clinton.

[Edit] Worded badly YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
I said that yesterday, Kern.

Take away all the feelings and horror at the individual candidates, and look at the election objectively: a billionaire with no political experience just bought his way to the Presidency.
I was looking at a couple of the individual state's outcomes. Places like Pennysylvania had 2.8m votes for Clinton, and 2.9m for Trump, with 0.2m on independents.

I know it's a two party system, but those Others votes are so clearly wasted.
Mr Russell wrote:

Great minds.

Quote:
Take away all the feelings and horror at the individual candidates, and look at the election objectively: a billionaire with no political experience just bought his way to the Presidency.

I never much liked 'Citizen Kane' either.
Kern wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Great minds.

Quote:

I never much liked 'Citizen Kane' either.

Ohhhhh...

Rosa was the name of his childhood Mexican housekeeper.
Page 1 of 3 [ 116 posts ]