Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Norman Tebbit's Dead Serious Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 
Gogmagog

nervouspete wrote:

Incidently, the same advert made me want to throttle them. "Hey look! We care abouts the environment! Don't read too much into the fact that we're a massive supermarket chain owned by Wall-Mart who exist to sell you useless crap you don't need and gobble the Earth's resources in an everyone's-complicit-including-NervyP kinda way, instead listen to how switching a few lights on and off can miraculously save you money and the planet!"

But they are rolling back 4000 prices a month...

nervouspete wrote:
Ugh. The painfully ethnically diverse smiling people doing this as if they're retail saints is the red cherry of rage on the icing of the anger cake for me.

Banning the fuzzie wuzzies from the TV would be an interesting suggestion to make on PoV.

nervouspete wrote:
I hate adverts. Apart from that car one with the German bloke being attacked by clones of him. I like that one.

The T Mobile dancing one is brilliant. no one on here will like it though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 

Outside Asda there are signs saying "Saving the Planet - One Bag at a Time". Yeah, good luck with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:18 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
A proper centrally managed sleep mode that can tie in with whatever infrastructure you use for software distribution and patch management - yes. Staff hitting the off switch when they leave for the day - no.

What's wrong with leaving them on one night a week, for this stuff? It's Wednesday, here.

I do think Wake On Lan is very clever but I've never seen it used for actual IT purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
nervouspete wrote:
Banning the fuzzie wuzzies from the TV would be an interesting suggestion to make on PoV.

No, actually it's the tick-sheet way they do it. I'd actually like to have way more ethnic minorities on TV, and decent drama and documentaries structured around the lives of other racial communities. Because I hate cockneys with a burning passion and it's all we bloody get on TV nowadays. Plus, I think I just resented the plastic falseness of the advert with wrongly smiling people in a 'we are teh world' stylee.

I do concede that I sounded like a 'political correctness gone mad!' mental right then though. I'll give myself pennance later in the day, perhaps by purposefully dropping a heavy reference book on my toe.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Outside Asda there are signs saying "Saving the Planet - One Bag at a Time". Yeah, good luck with that.

They could start with Jacqui Smith.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

kalmar wrote:
Craster wrote:
A proper centrally managed sleep mode that can tie in with whatever infrastructure you use for software distribution and patch management - yes. Staff hitting the off switch when they leave for the day - no.

What's wrong with leaving them on one night a week, for this stuff? It's Wednesday, here.

I do think Wake On Lan is very clever but I've never seen it used for actual IT purposes.

One night a week is fine, as long as you're certain that:
1) Staff will remember to leave them on. Assuming they remember to turn them off in the first place
2) If someone doesn't come in on the Wednesday, their machine will still be off from the Tuesday night, so you can't do anything with it
3) You don't need to do anything on a day that isn't Wednesday.

We've got over 300,000 machines that put themselves in full S3 suspend out of working hours (after 10 minutes of inactivity), bring themselves back up again in the middle of the night (spread across dozens of timezones) for patching and software distribution, and then put themselves back into S3 until the user comes in the next morning. And all of it costs very little indeed to manage.

Relying on users for your power management isn't great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 13:02 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
The T Mobile dancing one is brilliant. no one on here will like it though.

I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 13:02 
Gogmagog

Thinking about it, this credit crunch thing. it does make sense as if money keeps appearing in the system over time, then it is essentially worthless, and, over a given lifetime, one could go from 1 to 1,000,000,000,000 without ever doing anything. So you might as well use raindrops for currency.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 23:48 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
We've got over 300,000 machines that put themselves in full S3 suspend out of working hours (after 10 minutes of inactivity), bring themselves back up again in the middle of the night (spread across dozens of timezones) for patching and software distribution, and then put themselves back into S3 until the user comes in the next morning. And all of it costs very little indeed to manage.

I am genuinely interested in how you manage that. Place where I'm at has been trying to find something similar.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 23:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'll get you some details - probably Monday, as I'm off work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 
Kindly deeds done for free

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Edge have an update:
Quote:
Later on Thursday, our source updated us with more inside information from the Free Radical staff meeting that took place at a hotel near the studio. Apparently, Free Radical knew the urgency of its situation six months ago.

Co-founder Ellis was "visibly upset" when he talked to the staff, the source said. "[He] told staff how very sorry he was and they'd been doing all they could, working flat-out to either find a publisher or a buyer over the past six months, but no offers were made. There have been several visits to the States, but to no avail."

About 20 staff members were offered positions, possibly with Ellis' new venture, Pumpkin Beach, although this is yet to be confirmed. The rest of the employees were told in a separate room that they would be laid off.

Staff had reportedly been paid to the end of December, but are not expected to receive any further compensation "as there was nothing left to give."

Reps from U.K. game makers Codemasters and Monumental Games were at the hotel after the meeting asking for CVs and applications from former Free Radical staffers.
Although Haze was rubbish, I had enjoyed previous Timesplitters games. It seems likely now that Timesplitters 4 will never see the light of day.

http://kotaku.com/5145829/crytek-buys-free-radical

Quote:
Timesplitters and Haze developer Free Radical Design has found financial sanctuary in German developer Crytek, who is reported to have purchased the struggling Nottingham, UK dev for an undisclosed amount.

According to 1UP, Free Radical scriptwriter Rob Yescombe confirmed the purchase of Free Radical by the developers of Far Cry and Crysis, saying that the decade-old company "is now out of the woods."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 
UltraMod

I was on the phone to someone yesterday who hadn't uploaded any sales for over a week (they're lost if they don't do this within seven days) and when I asked why they ended up bursting into tears saying they'd been made redundant.

Happy times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 16:54 
Eggcellent Member

For those of you who remember my woes towards the end of last year, the day has come. This morning over a nice cup of tea I was given notice that I was going to be redundant at the end of March.

Things in the construction industry really are dire, we've managed to pick up bits of work (small commissions 2k here and there, whereas a commission would normally be 25 - 30k!) but with clients being so edgy regarding finance we simply cannot plan far enough in advance. So the decision was made to let me go.

Today it feels like an almighty cock slap, although I knew that it was highly likely to happen there was always a glimmer of hope that one or two of our projects would get financial backing and proceed or that we would land one of the highly coveted public sector jobs.

Unfortunately none of that was/is happening quick enough and lack of cash flow and borrowing capacity is crippling the viability of the (small) business.

Still. it's not the end of the world. No amount of worrying is going to make things any better and at least I can say that I tried, I took a risk (leaving the relative security of a big QS firm) and it didn't work. I gave it a shot and hung in there and saw it through to the end. If it had worked out then things would be, as I believe the youth of today say, 'all gravy' which is would be fine by me!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:03 
Excellent Member

Sorry to hear that, The Egg. :( I admire your stoicism though, so let it warm your heart to know that, with your up-front philosophical acceptance of this, you are mighty. And as you say, at least you know now, and don't have it hanging over you. Bravo again on your inner strength.

Let's have some pics of what you set fire to later though, plskthnx.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:06 

The Egg wrote:
I took a risk (leaving the relative security of a big QS firm)
"Relative security"? Aren't almost all your old colleagues on a standing redundancy notice? I think your biggest risk was your sector, rather than your employer. If you can make it tonight I'll buy you a pint to sup, dude.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:09 
Eggcellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The Egg wrote:
I took a risk (leaving the relative security of a big QS firm)
"Relative security"? Aren't almost all your old colleagues on a standing redundancy notice? I think your biggest risk was your sector, rather than your employer. If you can make it tonight I'll buy you a pint to sup, dude.

Haha, yes of course there is that! Being relatively senior in the only office in Wales and therefore one of the last to have faced the chop was my security.

However, they all find out on Tuesday and at least I haven't had seven months of them all moaning about how rubbish everything is!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:12 
Eggcellent Member

nervouspete wrote:
Sorry to hear that, The Egg. :( I admire your stoicism though, so let it warm your heart to know that, with your up-front philosophical acceptance of this, you are mighty. And as you say, at least you know now, and don't have it hanging over you. Bravo again on your inner strength.

Thanks Chap

nervouspete wrote:

Pics to follow over time, just need to remove all of the valuables and the booze first!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:12 
baron of techno

nervouspete wrote:

Quantities, I predict.

Sorry to hear that too The Egg :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:13 

kalmar wrote:
Quantities, I predict.
Haha, yeah. "Survey this, bitches!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:23 
Excellent Member

Commiserations, The Egg. Good luck in finding something. Try banking, you might not have any experience but the people running it know fuckall, so you might be well in there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

There are indeed significant quantities of toxic asset-backed products that could do with some surveying, pronto.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:58 
baron of techno

There are indeed significant quantities of toxic asset-backed products that could do with some surveying, pronto.

/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:27 
Sitting balls-back folder

MaliA wrote:
Thinking about it, this credit crunch thing. it does make sense as if money keeps appearing in the system over time, then it is essentially worthless, and, over a given lifetime, one could go from 1 to 1,000,000,000,000 without ever doing anything. So you might as well use raindrops for currency.
That's exactly why quantitative easing is just about the stupidest thing that the Bank and Government could be considering, so it's a good job they still have plenty of other bright ideas before having to try that.

"Oh no, all the magical fairy money is vanishing out of the computers! Whatever can we do? Ooh, how about we print billions more cash, that's real money after all! What could possibly go wrong by devaluing Sterling even further?"

Ha. We're all so fucked.

Publisher's disclaimer: This isn't levity, it's desperate, sarcastic cynicism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 19:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

A gentleman I was in the pub last week has a friend in Zimbabwe. Said friend has recently just bought a car. On his phone he had a photo of the cheque used to pay. It started with "73 quadrillion" and went on from there (entertainingly ending in 'only'). It was clearly something of a challenge fitting it all on the cheque.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 21:13 
Excellent Member

Quote:
"Oh no, all the magical fairy money is vanishing out of the computers! Whatever can we do? Ooh, how about we print billions more cash, that's real money after all! What could possibly go wrong by devaluing Sterling even further?"

Let's be fair - the devaluation of the pound worked wonders for the economy after Soros attacked Sterling back in the 1990s, and there's a fair body of economic work that suggests that limited printing can have impressive effects when an economy is caught in a liquidity trap (as we appear to be).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 22:03 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
A gentleman I was in the pub last week has a friend in Zimbabwe. Said friend has recently just bought a car. On his phone he had a photo of the cheque used to pay. It started with "73 quadrillion" and went on from there (entertainingly ending in 'only'). It was clearly something of a challenge fitting it all on the cheque.

Inflation in Zimbabwe is running at 89.7 sextillion percent annual, something like 230 million per day.

They've just introduced a $100 trillion note. Worth about $30USD.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 22:20 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Plissken wrote:
Craster wrote:

Inflation in Zimbabwe is running at 89.7 sextillion percent annual, something like 230 million per day.

Do people still even bother using it? Surely once it gets to a certain level simple barter is a better system. It is a physical entity which can have an appreciable and real value that isn't going to decrease arbitrarily at any given time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 23:51 
Excellent Member

I think the regime has bowed to a semblance of reality and is allowing US$ transactions now, which helps a little...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 
Sitting balls-back folder

Peter St. John wrote:
Quote:

Let's be fair - the devaluation of the pound worked wonders for the economy after Soros attacked Sterling back in the 1990s, and there's a fair body of economic work that suggests that limited printing can have impressive effects when an economy is caught in a liquidity trap (as we appear to be).
Then why haven't they done it sooner, instead of all the batshit insane "tactics" that were never going to work? Separately, the (attempted) removal of the requirement for the Bank's weekly cash printing report to be public doesn't instill confidence in any printing being limited, especially when there's apparently little else for them to do if that doesn't work either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:28 
Excellent Member

Possibly because of the stigma associated with printing money? They are waiting for the rate inflation to decrease more before adding in a new source? Or perhaps they're still hoping for co-ordinated action between the Fed, the ECB and themselves? I was just pointing out that a weak pound and / or starting up the presses can be very useful in certain situations...(consider the straightjacket that Ireland and Spain find themselves in, for example).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:33 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Craster wrote:

Do people still even bother using it? Surely once it gets to a certain level simple barter is a better system. It is a physical entity which can have an appreciable and real value that isn't going to decrease arbitrarily at any given time.

NO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:52 
Sleepyhead

Peter St. John wrote:
Possibly because of the stigma associated with printing money? They are waiting for the rate inflation to decrease more before adding in a new source? Or perhaps they're still hoping for co-ordinated action between the Fed, the ECB and themselves? I was just pointing out that a weak pound and / or starting up the presses can be very useful in certain situations...(consider the straightjacket that Ireland and Spain find themselves in, for example).

I think the ECB is in enough trouble with the Stanford mess...

:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:28 
Excellent Member

i heard yeasterday on tv that someone in britain sold the rights to film her death. Do really people there like to watch other people dying?

I was quite :o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:48 
UltraMod

Yeah, famous for nothing except being thick pseudo-celebrity Jade Goody.

She was on Big Brother a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:49 
Excellent Member

is any of you going to watch her die? :p

is she that hateful?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:49 
UltraMod

I won't watch it, but then again I've never watched anything with her in it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 14:09 
Gogmagog

The bloke that was on SKy was better at it. He only needed 4 takes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:12 
UltraMod

I nearly couldn't be arsed posting in this thread as it wasn't on the first page.

Our German parent company are thinking about outsourcing all our work to a third-party. Joyous times ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:14 
Master of dodgy spelling....

myp wrote:
I nearly couldn't be arsed posting in this thread as it wasn't on the first page.

Our German parent company are thinking about outsourcing all our work to a third-party. Joyous times ahead.

We are a company that does out sourcing work.. it could be us :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:16 
UltraMod

How considerate of you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:21 
Unpossible!

I share your pain Myp. Myself and the other techs here suspect that the IT consultant brought in a year ago is deliberately running the department badly to justify outsourcing. Ethics are... flexible it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:24 
UltraMod

If it went ahead it's possible that we'd be taken on by the third-party, I suppose.

Should hear more in the coming months. They seem to want to make a decision "mid-2009".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:25 

myp wrote:
How considerate of you.

Depends on how big the companies are. We only deal with government agencies or big big corperations, as far as I am aware. But when we get a contract, we normally TUPE staff over to us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:27 
UltraMod

We are a big corporation, so it's possible I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:32 
baron of techno

myp wrote:
How considerate of you.

You could end up working for Kovacs. Imagine that!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:33 
UltraMod

:S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:47 

kalmar wrote:
myp wrote:
How considerate of you.

You could end up working for Kovacs. Imagine that!

Could do :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:53 
UltraMod

No offence, I think I'd rather be made redundant. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:54 

Fair enough :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:14 
Sleepyhead

A friend of mine yesterday found out that her boyfriend and mother have both been made redundant. :(

Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next