Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:45 

Victoria Coren Mitchell is a QPR fan at least, so I've got to like her a bit.

The new Buzzcocks was unwatchable because of Daisy May Cooper's constant screaming.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:49 

That’s much the same as me. It’s probably not helped by the fact that I find the adverts themselves annoying simply by their existence. I haven’t watched ITV/Channel 4 since I was a kid, so I’ve kind of been immune to adverts for many years. Now that we’ve got this Lego show on the go, and Russell likes Taskmaster, the flow of the program is interrupted by that awful clip of proto Alan Carr saying he turned down some Bonjela every five minutes. Why do the advert breaks containers the same five ads for every break? Why on earth would you think I wanted to watch that?

And let’s not forget Mrs Browns Boys. The show everyone hates and yet I’ve yet to meet someone who has actually seen it. We know we hate it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:51 

Blucey wrote:

The new Buzzcocks was unwatchable because of Daisy May Cooper's constant screaming.

I don’t dislike VCM, but she shouldn’t write her own stuff, and I get a bit bored of ‘if you want to go and play a dumb persons quiz, go to those other shows. This one is for clever nerds, (guffaw)’. Maybe I do dislike her. I don’t know. I feel like I want to like her but dislike what she says.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:23 
Isn't that lovely?

Blucey wrote:

She is not in the new (started this week) series. Looks like they are going to do guest captains on that team.

The first week was Courtney Love, and despite her saying she's not had alcohol for several years, the evidence begs to differ (unless it was something MUCH stronger). I don't think anyone else had much fun on that episode.

Once again, it's got the problem that I don't really like Greg Davies, and he's presenting it. Not that keen on Jamali Maddix coming up with Hilarious Back Stories for each member of the Line Ups either.

There is just enough there to keep me coming back, but If I came into the Sky version of this cold, I probably wouldn't have kept watching after the first one or two.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:58 
Can you dig it?

Cunk on Earth was brilliant though, loved that.

Mimi wrote:

And let’s not forget Mrs Browns Boys. The show everyone hates and yet I’ve yet to meet someone who has actually seen it. We know we hate it, though.

I suppose someone somewhere likes it.
I only needed a few short moments to know that I absolutely fucking hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 13:20 
Decapodian

Sir Taxalot wrote:

Mimi wrote:

I don't think I've seen more than 30 seconds at a time, and that was plenty to make an informed choice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 15:58 
Gogmagog

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

Mimi wrote:

I don't think I've seen more than 30 seconds at a time, and that was plenty to make an informed choice.

Confirm your prejudices here

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 22:10 
Prince of Fops

Malc wrote:
Blucey wrote:

She is not in the new (started this week) series. Looks like they are going to do guest captains on that team.

The first week was Courtney Love, and despite her saying she's not had alcohol for several years, the evidence begs to differ (unless it was something MUCH stronger). I don't think anyone else had much fun on that episode.

Once again, it's got the problem that I don't really like Greg Davies, and he's presenting it. Not that keen on Jamali Maddix coming up with Hilarious Back Stories for each member of the Line Ups either.

There is just enough there to keep me coming back, but If I came into the Sky version of this cold, I probably wouldn't have kept watching after the first one or two.

Eesh. I've not seen the new buzzcocks but that sounds horrible.

I think what was good about original buzzcocks was it felt a little like you were in a boozer with them all and felt less like showmanship and more like banter. I suspect it doesnt help that my attachment to current music is very limited. And if they are including the bands I know, it probably feels overly nostalgic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:55 
Can you dig it?

Findus Fop wrote:
Eesh. I've not seen the new buzzcocks but that sounds horrible.

I think what was good about original buzzcocks was it felt a little like you were in a boozer with them all and felt less like showmanship and more like banter. I suspect it doesnt help that my attachment to current music is very limited. And if they are including the bands I know, it probably feels overly nostalgic.

There's a music quiz show out here called 'Spicks and Specks', it's very long running and it has a nice mix of humour and friendly chat. There's a bit of banter but it's not BANTZ, it's far more gentle an good natured. It's actually aged quite well and old episodes are still entertaining, even though some of the guests are very 'low budget', many of them I have no clue who they actually are.

It's strange, as although I find I feel like l'm moving away from the nasty/sarky kind of humour in general, I still really like the offensive / dark sort of humour. Last year I watched a few Anthony Jeselnik specials - wow, so incredibly funny (and offensive, but clever, and funny).

Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50