Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 14:17 

Problem solved then!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 19:55 

Right, looks like T'Mobile have bollocksed the update. Phones resetting every half an hour or so, loads of german-oriented crapware that does nothing, randon 'apps' that are just immovable links to the app store.

So...

For those with a rooted 2.1 Desire who updated to 2.2 - which ROM updates to 2.2 with Vanilla HTC sense? I don't need Root really, I just want the unbranded standard version of froyo.

People have said there's no problems with the rom on T'Mobile, which is great, but looking at the links on XDA most seem to come with extra stuff and/or there's a number of confusing options. No-one on XDA seems in a hurry to give me the exact info I'm asking for :(

I'm very glad I waited instead of just updating in any case, as apparently my rooted 2.1 now will be utterly fucked if I try the OTA update from T Mobile.

/edit I think what I'm asking is DAVPAZ: giz a link to the rom you used and the update process guide you used, ta :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 20:03 
Unpossible!

I'm out and about right now fella, but I believe the Rom is called official_froyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 20:18 

cheers

I've found this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741775

but there's still a bewildering array of stuff to follow in that thread. These are the two posts in the T-Mobile thread I've put on there, with no response so far...

Quote:
I've got a rooted Desire done with unrevoked3. As I understood it I could update using T-Mobile OTA and would then have their branded, bloated 2.2 and lose root.

I'm now reading that I have to unroot the phone before updating.

If this is the case, I'd like to consider updating to the vanilla HTC Sense version of 2.2, so please humour this n00b and clarify the following:

1: Which ROM is the vanilla one, I've done a search and must be missing something obvious!

2: Are there any downsides to having the stock rom as opposed to the T-Mob uk one, e.g. network performance, etc?

3: Unrooting - bricking potential?

4: Apparently the T-Mob rom is >80mb and the standard Sense one is apparently about 25mb. So far I can only find anecdotal evidence on the T-Mob forums to say the bloat is a bunch of irremovable links to 'top apps' (sigh), German voicemail and web TV things which I can't imagine are so huge. Am I misinformd regarding the 2.2 Desire sense vanilla size?

Quote:
I've been using search and reading the forum now for a couple of hours (on and off) and my head is spinning.

From what I now understand, my rooted T-Mobile (UK) 2.1 Desire can be made how I want it, which is this:

Ordinary, standard (stock?) Sense Froyo 2.2, no branding or T-Mob crapware, OTA updates from HTC as they are released in the future.

I think this is the rom to put on in order to get that:

***forum won't let me post the link. It's from nickiberli/localdroid, called rooted official HTC etc...***

but with 77 pages of posts I'm less sure at the end of the thread than I was at the start.

I understand that I need to use Titanium to back up my phone before I begin, I've got that installed and ready to go.

I currently believe that once I've downloaded this rom and installed it, I need to get a new radio thing to ensure it works ok with T-Mobile. I have no clue after extensive reading what radio this should be, also some seem to install it before not after.

I appreciate (having hacked various games consoles in the past without any difficulties) that these things have a myriad different options but I'm really struggling here to narrow it down to a clear set of directions for my device, in order to keep it running well on T-Mobile into the future.

/brainhurt I'm off to do something else for the evening.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 20:50 

It just works! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 20:54 

I swear, as I was posting this I thought "Bet Rich posts something smug befrore anyone jumps in and saves the day"

I just didn't think it'd be this quick. :'(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 0:28 

Heh. I'm only pulling your leg. Although I do think it's very fiddly - this sounds a lot worse than jail breaking an iPhone, and surely that's not ideal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 0:56 

Oh you're entirely right, sort of. The processes themselves aren't fiddly, it's the options, decisions and knowing what one to go for.

Advice tends to be 'go to this site and chose the rom you want' (when I've already stated I want the plain rom... so why people can't just link to that I've no idea) and then there's a list of many many roms, some of which seem to be roughly what you want but then looking at the differences between each is a new minefield of acronyms, individual ways of listing things and expressions. I'm unwilling to take a punt on one and see if it works due to having no money for another phone if this one, which I've got a year left on the contract for, bricks.

If there were two files, one labelled "Plain HTC Sense 2.2 for desire (Works with T-MobileUK)" and "The right HTC Desire driver for 2.2 T-Mobile UK" then I'd get them, run them and away I go. The files exist, they're just not called anything entirely helpful. Plus if Bob gets a plain, clean rom and adds root then that's suddenly "Bob's Rom" and referred to as such as opposed to saying what it actually is.

I think some people in that community are more interested in being seen to help than actually helping. There's also a lot of 'use the search' replies when people are clearly struggling. Being dyslexic, untechie or whatever isn't a reason to be impatient with people. The guy you think is just being lazy might well be, but the next person to come along with similar questions might benefit from a patient reply.

I dunno, I'll get there shortly I'm sure. I just can't afford not to be very careful and precise about it. The actual process will be fine.

There isn't really a direct Android equivalent of jailbreaking, but there is rooting, which is as easy as downloading an executable, hooking your phone up to USB and running the .exe

All of which'll be moot in any case if Android 3.0 is downloadable from the market as some suspect it might be. In fact if total freedom from network branding becomes something Google want to implement and shout about, that'd be their 'killer app'.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:19 
Hello Hello Hello

GovernmentYard wrote:
All of which'll be moot in any case if Android 3.0 is downloadable from the market as some suspect it might be. In fact if total freedom from network branding becomes something Google want to implement and shout about, that'd be their 'killer app'.

:this:

Damn straight, Google need to make the OS freely available to anyone who owns an Android handset, the operators are fucking it up royally.

I'm really loving my Desire, but there are elements of the way Apple keep the iPhone on the straight and narrow I do miss.

You only need to look at the mess Rovio are in trying to get Angry Birds running on Android to see how awkward it can be - it's not just the variations in handset hardware, it's the massive differences in OS revision that are running out there, how much shit they're loaded with by the operators, and whether or not the operators can be arsed to do anything about it.

Great OS and hardware, fucking shite operators - Google need to tell them all to get to fuck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:50 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

And such is the reason I can't be arsed with Android. I want a phone, not a headache.

So much potential ruined by fragmentation and typical carrier behaviour.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:54 
Unpossible!

For GY

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741775

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 13:04 

Nice one Dav, that's the one I thought might be it - could you clarify regarding the radio rom... it says "You have to download the radio rom seperately" but I'think maybe if I'm happy with my current radio rom I can just stick with what I've got?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 13:07 

Malabar Front wrote:
And such is the reason I can't be arsed with Android. I want a phone, not a headache.

So much potential ruined by fragmentation and typical carrier behaviour.

To be honest if you are the majority of phone owners who just keep the phone as it arrives you'll have a great phone in Android.

This should change quickly over the next couple of years though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 13:24 
Unpossible!

The radio is the one I uploaded earlier in this thread. It works for me :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 14:21 

All sorted. The actual process is a piece of piss. Cheers Dav :)

/edit god it's rapid.

/edit 2 and my signal is now full, not 1 bar. And wifi is stronger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 22:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Gah... stop making me want to mess with my phone!

It works at the moment and I'm dead scared of breaking it.. but I would like to remove all the Orange stuff on it... Gah! You people!! >:(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 23:38 

Sorry to drag everyone off the topic of upgrading Desires, but has anyone tried WordFeud? It looks like the Android equivalent of Words With Friends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 23:58 
Downloading.... can I play?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just downloaded it..

I'm TheXboxVision if anyone fancies a game?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:05 
I'm nickachu invite me invite me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've got some shit letters...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:11 
Nappy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A fantastic word I'm sure you'll agree!

Anyway, a few more goes and it's bed for me.. I'll be back tomorrow though!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:13 
A lot of ads... is there an ad free version?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I hope so.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:22 
I hope everyone else gets in on this.
My 3-5 letter words are a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:24 
SavyGamer

I've had this for ages. LewieP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:24 
SavyGamer

I've had this for ages. LewieP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:25 
SavyGamer

Was going for a double word score.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:31 
Can you dig it?

I'm quite keen to debrand Lady T's xperia mini, there are quite a few apps on there that the operator has bundled in that can't be removed, including a couple of apps that are pay to use - including an email one >:(

Although, it did come with Peggle, which she is quite happy with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 0:50 
SavyGamer

Peggle?

On Android?

Seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 
Can you dig it?

LewieP wrote:
Peggle?

On Android?

Seriously?

Er... yeah. Not sure if you are trying to say something that I am not getting, though.

It came already installed on the phone and she likes playing it. I've not tried it myself on there, but it doesn't look or sound as good as the iphone version I paid for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:19 
Excellent Excellente

I recently acquired one of those convincing-looking iPad clones known as an "E-Pad" (or at least that's what the box says). Short story, mother's boss ordered some, mother wondered if I'd like to be a 'tester' for a potential bob or more yada yada yada.

Upon boot up I learn that it runs on Android. Cool. So I thought I'd use this opportunity to test a couple of apps on it, namely Gensoid and ScummVM. Both run well, except this device seemingly doesn't support multi-touch (so I couldn't get Sonic to jump and move right at the same time :() and I had no clue how to do anything other than left-click in SVM, leaving me to suspect that it doesn't properly support "E-Pad"s at this time.

After some playing around with it, it almost seems like something Dr Ashen would review (it even includes pigeon-english instructions with screenshots that don't even match what I see on my screen) except that the interface does actually look pretty and decent, and it's on an established OS.

Anyone else had a mingle with these knockoffs or similar lately?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 
Unpossible!

I'm davpaz on word feud.

If the epad is the same as the one I was looking at, it has a depressingly low res screen and slow processor. Sadly, they all seem to be like that so far.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:31 

DavPaz wrote:
If the epad is the same as the one I was looking at, it has a depressingly low res screen and slow processor. Sadly, they all seem to be like that so far.

I'm not sure what you'd expect, mind. These products have been rushed out the door and are bound to be shit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 
Unpossible!

Indeed. Nothing I've seen is close even to the quality of MrsP's low end HTC Tattoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 

DavPaz wrote:
MrsP's low end HTC Tattoo

:hat:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I'm davpaz on word feud.

Not surprisingly, I'm Grim... .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 
SavyGamer

Sir Taxalot wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Peggle?

On Android?

Seriously?

Er... yeah. Not sure if you are trying to say something that I am not getting, though.

It came already installed on the phone and she likes playing it. I've not tried it myself on there, but it doesn't look or sound as good as the iphone version I paid for.

Looks like it's not available on the market. I hope S-E didn't get exclusivity of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:02 
This word feud is fun. Even though I'm not very good at it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:05 
Unpossible!

Last 3 words in mine and Nick's game: QUEER, GAZE, FAGS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:08 
I don't think I've had anything longer than 4 letters this game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:11 

If the Words With Friends authors weren't so fucking useless they'd write an Android client so we could have cross-platform play. Idiots.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:25 

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
I'm davpaz on word feud.

Not surprisingly, I'm Grim... .

And I'm Joans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:27 
SavyGamer

Despite being dyslexic, since a pretty young age I've been good at Scrabble.

I'm good at the maths of getting the best points rather that longest words.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:31 

LewieP wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Peggle?

On Android?

Seriously?

Looks like it's not available on the market. I hope S-E didn't get exclusivity of it.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the version from the X10 (or at least what someone has claimed to be the version from the X10) doesn't appear to work on other phones. I'm really surprised there aren't more people trying to get this to work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 16:34 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If the Words With Friends authors weren't so fucking useless they'd write an Android client so we could have cross-platform play. Idiots.

Damn right. That would be excellent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 23:09 
SavyGamer

Just seen this

Automatic rooting for:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Google Nexus One (2.2)
Google G1 (1.6)
HTC Hero (2.1)
HTC Magic (1.5) (Select Do not install Superuser)
HTC Tattoo (1.6)
Dell Streak (2.1)
Motorola Milestone (2.1)
Motorola XT701
Motorola XT800 (2.1)
Motorola ME511
Motorola Droid (2.01/2.1/2.2 with FRG01B)
Sony Ericsson X10 (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (1.6)
Acer Liquid (2.1)
Acer beTouch E400 (2.1)
Samsung Galaxy Beam
Vibo A688 (1.6)
Lenovo Lephone (1.6)
LG GT540 (1.6)
Gigabyte GSmart G1305

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 23:35 

Watershed :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:58 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Just seen this

Automatic rooting for:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Google Nexus One (2.2)
Google G1 (1.6)
HTC Hero (2.1)
HTC Magic (1.5) (Select Do not install Superuser)
HTC Tattoo (1.6)
Dell Streak (2.1)
Motorola Milestone (2.1)
Motorola XT701
Motorola XT800 (2.1)
Motorola ME511
Motorola Droid (2.01/2.1/2.2 with FRG01B)
Sony Ericsson X10 (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (1.6)
Acer Liquid (2.1)
Acer beTouch E400 (2.1)
Samsung Galaxy Beam
Vibo A688 (1.6)
Lenovo Lephone (1.6)
LG GT540 (1.6)
Gigabyte GSmart G1305

It works so well, I have been moved to change ROMs on my Hero. FroydVillain is bastard fast, and not really any hassle at all to change to. Anyone not rooted yet should.
Also - Android users need Tasker. It's that simple.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 133  Next