Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 47
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jem wrote:
Not really. It's the police's job to prove I'm Naughty Person before arresting me, not my job to prove I'm not.

Actually, that's not true at all. They can arrest you on suspicion of something (and always do, I believe) and hold you for 24 hours while they try and prove it.

But they shouldn't have tased him, and he didn't have to tell them shit*. That's the law, yo.

My uncle (who is a barrister) has told me that if a policeman ever asks me anything, my answer is "I want my lawyer present." and to shut my fucking mouth.

*I've not seen the video, I should point out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:04 
sneering elitist

Grim... wrote:
Actually, that's not true at all. They can arrest you on suspicion of something (and always do, I believe) and hold you for 24 hours while they try and prove it.

I meant purely on the basis of giving up my name / ID - I'm not going to do that just because I might get arrested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:04 

Cras wrote:
I mean, sure - but 'acting like an arse' is surely an unacceptable justification for use of a taser?

Yes. After reading up on this since, I have a little more sympathy for the officer that fired the taser. Bear in mind that they suspect this man of being someone wanted in connection with a crime. It's not stated what the crime is, but it could well be a violent crime. While attempting to control the man who is resisting arrest (by trying to walk away) he fights back, so she uses the taser as a means of control (which is justifiable as far as the regs go)

Obviously from the viewpoint of the man, he's completely innocent and is tasered for trying to get away from being manhandled by the law, but from their perspective a potentially violent criminal is kicking off and resisting arrest.

I think they could have handled the situation a lot better (as Jem says, starting with a more polite line of questioning would have seen this end very differently) but I can kind of see their viewpoint now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:05 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Presumably, they would ask for a way of confirming his name to clear the matter up?

I don't always carry ID. :shrug:

But you probably wouldn't want to be identified as a Naughty Person, as that would mean a detention until it was sorted, so you'd be inclined to prove otherwise.

Not really. It's the police's job to prove I'm Naughty Person before arresting me, not my job to prove I'm not.

Then you'd likely be arrested until it was clear you weren't Murderous Mugging, just a good lookalike.

sneering elitist

Grim... wrote:
My uncle (who is a barrister) has told me that if a policeman ever asks me anything, my answer is "I want my lawyer present." and to shut my fucking mouth.

Exactly. Including the uncle part.

That's not me justifying it either by the way, just trying to look at it from their side and playing devil's advocate :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:06 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
Then you'd likely be arrested until it was clear you weren't Murderous Mugging, just a good lookalike.

As long as I'm not fucking tasered, that sounds dandy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Jem wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I meant purely on the basis of giving up my name / ID - I'm not going to do that just because I might get arrested.

FOS! [vote:Jem]

sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
It's not stated what the crime is, but it could well be a violent crime.

Let's taser a man because he could be a guy that might have done a violent crime?

Seriously?

Grim... wrote:

I'm the opposite, I'll quite happily hand over any details that a police officer requests of me. Hasn't done me any harm yet, despite repeated dealings with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:09 

Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Let's taser a man because he could be a guy that might have done a violent crime?

Seriously?

Not at all. They tasered him because he was fighting back and the officer presumably thought they had exhausted other means of control.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:10 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Seriously?

If he was struggling a bit and there existed a risk of not just him getting pepper sprayed, then light him up. I don't think the police want a fair dust up, they don't want one at all, so end it sharpish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:10 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I'm the opposite, I'll quite happily hand over any details that a police officer requests of me. Hasn't done me any harm yet, despite repeated dealings with them.

I always give your details, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:11 

MaliA wrote:
If he was struggling a bit and there existed a risk of not just him getting pepper sprayed, then light him up. I don't think the police want a fair dust up, they don't want one at all, so end it sharpish.

I didn't know this until about 10 minutes ago, but pepper spray is supposedly a lot more damaging to someone than a taser, as in the effects take a lot longer to wear off.

I assume that doesn't include people with pacemakers and other shit that tasers would disrupt, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I always give your details, too.

I'll give them Grims.... That'll teach him to not fess up.

Bad Girl

MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Seriously?

They could at least aimed for the centre body mass though. Jesus. She was a piss poor shot.

I still don't think they were right to taser him, incidentally.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:13 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Seriously?

Not at all. They tasered him because he was fighting back and the officer presumably thought they had exhausted other means of control.

8)

They grabbed him and pushed him backwards. He twisted one arm in a circle towards the officer to try and free that arm. The female police officer was a good 1-2ft away by the time she discharged the taser.

If that's your idea of fighting back I'm sure as shit glad you weren't there the night Helen and I were attacked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:13 
Gogmagog

Satsuma wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Seriously?

They could at least aimed for the centre body mass though. Jesus. She was a piss poor shot.

How pointy are the barbs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:14 

Satsuma wrote:

I think they're trained to aim for exposed skin or thin clothing, as anything thick would stop the taser getting through to deliver the jolt.

I assume that doesn't include the face (potential for hitting eyes and what not) though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:15 
Bad Girl

MaliA wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Seriously?

How pointy are the barbs?

The Guardian says they were still stuck in his face when the ambulance arrived and removed by a paramedic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:17 

Jem wrote:
I'm sure as shit glad you weren't there the night Helen and I were attacked.

You already know that in that situation I'd shit my pants and dive right in and swim, so I wouldn't be much use regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:
You seem to be reading things I haven't written. Again, I'm not suggesting you cough your guts to a police officer (assuming they're talking to you about something you've actually done wrong - I've never had that) but as a general rule, if you're interacting with them it pays to not act like an arse. You can refuse to admit things or deny whatever you like in a manner which isn't going to fuck them off and make life worse for yourself.

I mean, sure - but 'acting like an arse' is surely an unacceptable justification for use of a taser?

I... didn't say otherwise?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:23 
sneering elitist

Screenshot of the video right before the taser was fired.

Note how far the man is from the female officer, that he has his arms down by his side and neither officer are in contact with him or vice versa. Where is the attempt at control that has been exhausted here?

(If you watch the vid, she has her taser pointing at him from the beginning. This wasn't a last resort, it was a persistent threat.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:

If all they've done is ask your name or, I dunno, asked you to move your car, that response might arouse their suspicions:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Someone I know used to have a taser. Proper scary. I should ask him about it and tell him to get rid of it if he still has it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:29 
Bad Girl

Jem wrote:

Note how far the man is from the female officer, that he has his arms down by his side and neither officer are in contact with him or vice versa. Where is the attempt at control that has been exhausted here?

(If you watch the vid, she has her taser pointing at him from the beginning. This wasn't a last resort, it was a persistent threat.)

And here's the video exactly 2 seconds before that screenshot. You can't tell shit from a still.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:30 
sneering elitist

Satsuma wrote:
And here's the video exactly 2 seconds before that screenshot. You can't tell shit from a still.

You're... showing me exactly what I stated above? That the man moves his arm round in a circle to free it from the officer?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:30 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:

One would imagine the thinking might be because there had been a struggle, then there was likely to be another, putting the police at risk. So it's Christmas tree time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:33 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
One would imagine the thinking might be because there had been a struggle, then there was likely to be another, putting the police at risk. So it's Christmas tree time.

That can be the only logical explanation - I have no idea why else she'd have tasered him based on what we've seen / read.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:34 

Quote from an (uninvolved) policeman officer from /r/policeuk
Quote:
I'm not clicking on a Daily Mail article to give them money, but I've seen a version of this film that was quite lengthy.

In the version I saw, the officers are speaking to the man, asking him who he is. His reply is "I'm not telling you". They calmly reply to him that if he doesn't tell then who he is, then they are going to arrest him as they believe he is (censored).

This continues, male still refuses to tell them.

They arrest him. Male refuses to accept this and tries to get into his driveway.

They physically block him and continue to tell him that he's arrested. He begins to struggle with turn and start pushing them.

They struggle with him, until he breaks away from them at which point one of the officers pulls a taser and fires it.

For me, this appears to be a perfectly lawful use of force.

The male is suspected of an offence. He is clearly told this, and why (we think you are "this person").

Rather than do the common sense thing of saying - "No officer, that's not me. I live right here and so have numerous ways to prove who I am, would you like me to show you", he goes with the option of belligerently refusing to tell them who he is.

They tell him he has been arrested. He refuses to accept this. You cannot do this. Regardless of whether you are innocent, an arrest can still be perfectly lawful and you cannot resist arrest just because you believe or know it to be wrong.

He offers a degree of physical resistance to then that is effective in preventing them arresting him. The officers are now in a position where they have to use force.

They first try going hands on, and this falls. He struggles with them, appears strong, and breaks away from them. At this point the female officer pulls her taser and fires it, bringing the matter to an end and enabling the arrest.

//edit: Another quote from the same guy about the media's representation of taser deployments:

Quote:
That's the media manipulation of taser for you!

I was a taser officer for some time before being a dog handler.

The dogs have a social media output. Whenever we get a good job - normally a bite - it's advertised. You get an outpouring of public appreciation. "Great work!" "Give that dog a steak" "Hope he doesn't catch anything" "Four legs faster than two" etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, it's appreciated and it's positive.

However... I'm not going to different jobs as a dog officer than I was as a taser officer. To go all mathematical, a dog handler is going to a subset of the jobs I went to before. As a dog handler I've detained domestic offenders, burglars, violent people utilising the dog. As a taser officer I detained domestic offenders, burglars, violent people.

Sometimes the sheer threat of taser or dog was all that was needed, and no injury caused to offender.

However, when I did have to use taser, in 95 percent of my deployments the injury was nothing more than a couple of pinpricks and maybe a bruise. In one deployment he banged his head and needed gluing.

The dog, when used, puts people in hospital. It's a much larger use of force.

And yet, taser officers don't have a social media platform advertising all their arrests. And if they did, I'd put good money on the bet that instead of #bittenoffmorethantheycanchew you'd be seeing #policebrutality.

The media should be held to account for some of the things that they create.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:35 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That can be the only logical explanation - I have no idea why else she'd have tasered him based on what we've seen / read.

So, after refusing to give his name, trying to leave, stuggling with the police, it was right to taser him to prevent injury?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:36 
sneering elitist

Police officer in standing up for police officers shocker.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:37 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
So, after refusing to give his name, try to leave, stuggle with the police, it was right to taser him to prevent injury?

Absolutely not. I didn't say I agreed with that thinking or indeed that they were at risk - just that's what she must have thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:39 
Unpossible!

Bits and bobs is not the place for this serious interesting discussion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:40 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:
So, after refusing to give his name, try to leave, stuggle with the police, it was right to taser him to prevent injury?

Absolutely not. I didn't say I agreed with that thinking or indeed that they were at risk - just that's what she must have thought.

So, if she thinks that there is a risk of injury to her colleague and her, she should do nothing?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:40 
Bad Girl

If they did arrest him (and the video doesn't show this but there's a large edit in the middle) and he continued to resist then I'd accept the force used as reasonable apart from the firing a taser in his face. Neither cops appears to be holding a pair of cuffs though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:41 
Unpossible!

In my day, a good solid clip round the ear would've sorted it out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:42 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
//edit: Another quote from the same guy about the media's representation of taser deployments:

Quote:
That's the media manipulation of taser for you!

I was a taser officer for some time before being a dog handler.

The dogs have a social media output. Whenever we get a good job - normally a bite - it's advertised. You get an outpouring of public appreciation. "Great work!" "Give that dog a steak" "Hope he doesn't catch anything" "Four legs faster than two" etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, it's appreciated and it's positive.

However... I'm not going to different jobs as a dog officer than I was as a taser officer. To go all mathematical, a dog handler is going to a subset of the jobs I went to before. As a dog handler I've detained domestic offenders, burglars, violent people utilising the dog. As a taser officer I detained domestic offenders, burglars, violent people.

Sometimes the sheer threat of taser or dog was all that was needed, and no injury caused to offender.

However, when I did have to use taser, in 95 percent of my deployments the injury was nothing more than a couple of pinpricks and maybe a bruise. In one deployment he banged his head and needed gluing.

The dog, when used, puts people in hospital. It's a much larger use of force.

And yet, taser officers don't have a social media platform advertising all their arrests. And if they did, I'd put good money on the bet that instead of #bittenoffmorethantheycanchew you'd be seeing #policebrutality.

The media should be held to account for some of the things that they create.

I can't find stats on dog bites on black vs white people. Are they three times as likely to set a dog on a black person? Because three times as many black people are tasered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:42 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
If they did arrest him (and the video doesn't show this but there's a large edit in the middle) and he continued to resist then I'd accept the force used as reasonable apart from the firing a taser in his face. Neither cops appears to be holding a pair of cuffs though.

Hang on, nope, male cop clearly has a pair of cuffs out. You can see them in his right hand on the blokes back in the struggle.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:44 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
So, if she thinks that there is a risk of injury to her colleague and her, she should do nothing?

No, I think she - or her colleague - should actually attempt to detain him if they genuinely believes that he is [wanted man] instead of standing there pointing a taser at the man from the beginning of the interaction. Or any sort of action that isn't merely throwing him away from his property.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:47 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No, I think she - or her colleague - should actually attempt to detain him if they genuinely believes that he is [wanted man] instead of standing there pointing a taser at the man from the beginning of the interaction. Or any sort of action that isn't merely throwing him away from his property.

They did. There was a struggle. There was a Risk of further struggle and injury, so blokey was incapacitated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:47 
sneering elitist

Satsuma wrote:
Hang on, nope, male cop clearly has a pair of cuffs out. You can see them in his right hand on the blokes back in the struggle.

Yeah, he has them out before they move away from the gate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:49 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
They did. There was a struggle. There was a Risk of further struggle and injury, so blokey was incapacitated.

At all times during the "struggle" he keeps his arms on the gate or by his side, except to free his arm. I'm not seeing a violent man struggling to assault a police officer?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:54 
Paws for thought

Generally speaking, if the police arrest you, and you decide to ignore it, it's not going to end well for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:55 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

At all times during the "struggle" he keeps his arms on the gate or by his side, except to free his arm. I'm not seeing a violent man struggling to assault a police officer?

And, probably, thinking there was a risk of a repeat and injuries occuring, taser time to prevent this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrChris wrote:
Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:
You seem to be reading things I haven't written. Again, I'm not suggesting you cough your guts to a police officer (assuming they're talking to you about something you've actually done wrong - I've never had that) but as a general rule, if you're interacting with them it pays to not act like an arse. You can refuse to admit things or deny whatever you like in a manner which isn't going to fuck them off and make life worse for yourself.

I... didn't say otherwise?

Yeah, "okay", MrFascist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 17:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
taser time

Can't touch this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 18:00 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

And, probably, thinking there was a risk of a repeat and injuries occuring, taser time to prevent this.

Whatever man.

Like I said, she had the taser pointed at him from the beginning - from way before arrest was threatened, let alone instigated (if we're assuming that was done during the edit based on the handcuffs). She didn't pull out it because of the "struggle". She wasn't "in fear of her life" or "protecting her colleague" or whatever bullshit. She had it on him from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 18:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Whatever man.

Like I said, she had the taser pointed at him from the beginning - from way before arrest was threatened, let alone instigated (if we're assuming that was done during the edit based on the handcuffs). She didn't pull out it because of the "struggle". She wasn't "in fear of her life" or "protecting her colleague" or whatever bullshit. She had it on him from the start.

See, that I'm fine with. I'd rather the judgement call kicks in on pulling the trigger rather than pulling it out of the holster.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next