Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ripples across the world
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 
Hibernating Druid

[vote: Nervous Pete]

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 

They should send in The Blunt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

NervousPete wrote:
"Dear Mr Obama. I have had experience in governing Egypt in both Civilizations II and IV, ending with democratic governments. I have a GCSE in Maths and can both forwards and backwards roll. Please consider me for the post of Pharoh, or the new James Bond."

I love you Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 
Comfortably Dumb

sinister agent wrote:
Jesus christ.

Diplomatic car drives directly into group of protestors at high speed.

VERY disturbing footage (really, be careful), and not the first footage I've seen of government/police forces doing this.

Bloody hell.

Zardoz wrote:

He can't even spell Mubarak. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:

A 100ft Blunt Mecha with ballad-zookas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 

:this:

Yup, superb post there, Pete. Bravo mate. :metul: *applauds*

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

Post subject: Ripples across the world
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 
Excellent Painter

My daughter spent three days last week chaperoning Prof Johan Galtung around her school last week. He apparently had some quite interesting things to say about the rising tension in the Middle East and at one point expressed an opinion that he felt that Egypt could be the catalyst that would see a domino effect in the region affecting all Arab states.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 

markg wrote:

:D
They're getting Lady Ashton, with 'a policy package for promoting and entrenching democracy in Egypt' (from the Guardian).

EDIT the quote that is, not the policy package

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I wonder what Gadaffi over the border is thinking now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 
Unpossible!

Squirt wrote:

"Dooby, doo, doo... OOH Look! A cloud that looks like a squirell! I wonder what's for lunch"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 

He's holding a top-level meeting with his crack squad of hot female bodyguards.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 

C4 news correspondent with an interesting tweet:
Quote:
@jrug
Jonathan Rugman

On Tahrir front line, they are using a bread basket on the end of a wooden plank as a catapult. Medieval siege warfare to keep Mubarak away

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:

Craster wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
"Dear Mr Obama. I have had experience in governing Egypt in both Civilizations II and IV, ending with democratic governments. I have a GCSE in Maths and can both forwards and backwards roll. Please consider me for the post of Pharoh, or the new James Bond."

I love you Pete.

In the interests of full disclosure, this joke is mostly stolen from my friend Bobby Pickering, who's the funniest man in the world. He said it in a pub once, long ago. His simple-minded voice delivery is awesome too - it goes something like:

"Dear MGM, I would like you to consider me for the role of James Bond. I am a fan having seen at least two films and I can bring my own clothes. I can forwards and backwards roll."

devilman wrote:

Zardoz wrote:

He can't even spell Mubarak. ;)

I can't even pronounce it right, either. :facepalm:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 
Unpossible!

NervousPete wrote:
I can't even pronounce it right, either. :facepalm:

You should totally work for the BBC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 
Ready for action

Berlusconi says "I hope there can be a transition toward a more democratic system without a break from president Mubarak who in the west, above all in the united states, is considered the wiser of men and a precise reference point.
Reuses quotes him as saying "I hope there can be continuity in government."
From the BBC live updates.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 
Hibernating Druid

Squirt wrote:

"Calcium is a metal?!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 14:39 

Al-Jazeera's office in Cairo reportedly set alight by 'unknown thugs'.

Crowds still in Tahil Square - more peaceful than in recent days. The army are only letting in anti-regime protesters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 16:12 

Gilly wrote:
I cant post in the right thread because of stupid college internet, but the crowd in Tahrir square are going mental, cheering and waving flags. They just suddenly erupted. Aljazeera dont know why yet but they have had reports that there are shouts to march on the palace although the crowd doesnt seem to be moving yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 16:18 

Gilly wrote:
Cheer was a rumour spreadin that Mubarak had stepped down, not true though.
Egyptian TV (which has been showing footage of about three people standing on a bridge and claiming that's current scenes at the sight of the protest for the whole day) have suddenyl started broadcasting live footage from the square and aljazeera have heard they are about to air an interview with one of the demo organisers. This is the state run TV channel.

EDIT-telephone interview and he's being allowed to make reference to campaign for pro democracy including facebook campaigns(!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 16:23 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Kern wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Cheer was a rumour spreadin that Mubarak had stepped down, not true though.
Egyptian TV (which has been showing footage of about three people standing on a bridge and claiming that's current scenes at the sight of the protest for the whole day) have suddenyl started broadcasting live footage from the square and aljazeera have heard they are about to air an interview with one of the demo organisers. This is the state run TV channel.

EDIT-telephone interview and he's being allowed to make reference to campaign for pro democracy including facebook campaigns(!)

:D Has someone hacked Mubarak TV? That would be the end of it, surely! :DD

Oh goddammit, I hate my stupid job, I wish I could be watching. Hell, I wish I could be THERE.

What's happening on twatter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 16:29 

Not much. Massive protests in Alexandria too.
Talk of a march on the presidential palace, but not appearing to happen.
Army arresting pro-Mubarak supporters who try to approach Tahir square in cairo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 
Peculiar, yet lovely

It seems that the 'day of departure' did not turn out to be so literally, however the protestors have clearly redoubled their determination and people joined the protests in the hundreds of thousands in both Cairo and Alexandria. The military are taking an active role in keeping Mubarak's men away from them now, and it appears that the kind of massed attacks we saw the other night have faded. There are also reports that military police are arresting some protestors away from the square... it's all a bit hard to follow, and nobody but the protestors seems to have fully committed. The army's role seems more protective, but not quite supportive. Violence still breaks out as Mubarak supporters approach, but it seems to be on a relatively small scale around the major protests.

Some videos from Thursday. It's a curious atmosphere. There's something bizarrely normal about it, until the fighting starts. And then there's this flickr account, the same place where we put photos of days out to castles, quiz nights, and lazy screen grabs of a game we're playing, except these are taken during the Battle of Tahrir, when the shooting started and Mubarak's goons came out in force.

And then there's this guy, speaking last week (I think Friday). It's cropped from a much longer compilation, which very annoyingly has silly music over it, but his bit was the highlight, and just about the most succinct summary of these protests as anyone has managed.

Estimates of the dead so far range from 11 to 300. You can probably guess which one of those figures is from the establishment, and which from the UN. Something in the hundreds seems likely according to the other estimates going on, but I doubt anyone will have a clue until this is over and the country comes back together. Many thousands have been wounded.

We seem to now be at the stage where the protestors have all but won and they know it. They are determined that Mubarak and his lackeys (including Suleiman) must go. There is still the question of who will step in, but everyone seems to be agreeing that the military will help form an interim government while the reforms and new constitution are implemented. The US appear to be backing Suleiman because he's exactly their kind of cunt, but this isn't a given, and there are alternatives. Mohammed El Baradei, a former director of the international atomic energy agency, was mentioned and still has some support, and Amr Moussa, the head of the Arab League, seems to be considering it. There's also the possibility that someone from among the protestors will be put forward - there are several million of them after all, and statistically, there's a damn good chance they've got some bloody good political material in there. For now though, the protestors seem content to remain and wait until their demands are met.

For those of you wanting more context about the protests and what might follow, and in particular, a breakdown of all the administrative and political branches involved in Egypt's regime (as opposed to "hm, if Mubarak goes, Saddam Hussein will rise from the grave and take his place, because I am scared of Muslims" line that the Americans insist on clinging to, despite the overwhelming shows of tolerance and secularity by the protestors), Al Jazeera, once again, have it covered. I freely admit that I was only vaguely familiar with Egypt's situation myself before all this, and am still far from being an expert, so this ought to be pretty useful for anyone with an interest. This Associated Press piece also discusses some possibilities from about halfway down.

Foreign support from the media and civilians is still growing, in contrast to the embarassingly poor government response. A New York Times column.

Quote:
Amr (I’m not using some last names to reduce the risks to people I quote) was being treated for a wound from a flying rock. I asked him as politely as I could what a double-amputee in a wheelchair was doing in a pitched battle involving Molotov cocktails, clubs, machetes, bricks and straight razors.

“I still have my hands,” he said firmly. “God willing, I will keep fighting.”

As for Al Jazeera, I have to say, if we don't see an absolute shedload of awards coming their way over the coming months, I'll be pretty unimpressed. Their courage and integrity in defying the regime and securing first hand footage from third parties has been remarkable. The coverage has been absolutely top notch, and it's been interspersed with some interesting and wide-ranging news and documentaries you'd never hear about on the BBC (there's one about a sort of travelling court in rural China that goes out to the villages and takes care of legal and social matters for people who have trouble reaching the court. Really hard to explain, it probably has to be seen to be appreciated). Considering that the US has twice "accidentally" bombed their offices, they're remarkably measured in their reporting of American interests, too.

They'll be the first place I go for an awful lot of news from now on, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 15:38 
Ready for action

Aljazeera just announced on air that one of their reporters, Ayman Mohyeldin, has been taken by the army and they don't know where he is or what they are doing with him. They've not heard anything from him for a few hours. He is one of the guys who have been there from the start, the 30-40 year old guy with short dark hair, very good looking. If you've been watching aljazeera you'll recognise him. Worrying times, especially after reports of journalists being beaten, robbed and hospitalised.
They also showed a video of protestors trying to carry a body of someone who had apparently been shot down...I say apparently, but a minute or so into the video shots ring out and one of the guys trying to help is obviously hit by a bullet because he just collapses as everyone else tries to dodge the danger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 21:54 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Another video of police murdering another unarmed protestor for no reason.

The Al Jazeera reporter Mohyeldin has just been released. Wael Ghonim, the google exec, has reportedly been found and will be released tomorrow.

Protests have redoubled in Alexandria and all round the country, including in the industrial towns. Even down south in tourist-heavy Luxor, 15,000 people marched.

Talk of a possible 'soft coup' by the army - ie: they sit back and wait for the protest to run out of steam, then move in. That way they can hijack the legitimacy of the protest and say Mubarak should go without it being seen as a full-on coup, with all the diplomatic and political hoo-ha that would entail. It would perhaps explain their noncommittal, but somewhat protective behaviour so far, but it remains a theory so far.

Protestors reportedly sleeping on and around the tanks to prevent the army from leaving again. The mood reportedly remains positive. Cairocitylimits twatters:

Quote:
Random old man in #Tahrir today saw my busted up face and kissed me on the forehead. #Egypt getting sweeter every day

Picture of Tahrir square about five hours ago. It's still like a festival. Apparently they're making Tuesday a day for decorating the square.

Catchy songs are not unheard of.

A couple got married in Tahrir square.

'Chants of "Muslims and Christians together as one" rang thru Tahrir 2day during a Christian mass'.

A gas pipeline that supplies 40% of Jordan's energy was attacked yesterday. The pipeline supplying Israel was not affected. Personally, I would think this more likely to be anyone other than Israel simply because it makes them look so bad.

US Envoy Frank Wismer says Mubarak must stay until September. His comments are quickly disowned by the government.

Slavoj Žižek (Me neither) on the staggering hypocrisy of Western commentators banging on about stability.

I can't see any clear sign that the protestors have yet organised and elected a representative to negotiate. Sandmonkey came up with a plan to do so the other day, but I don't know what came of it. It's possible they're doing it but not telling the world, or that it'll simply take longer - while it's tempting to think they should put someone forward immediately, one should perhaps consider that it takes fucking forever for a typical political party here to even choose a leader from three or four identical arseholes who've been politicians all their lives. The protestors seem quite capable of holding on for as long as it takes, so perhaps this process is underway, but will simply take a while.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 22:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Thanks for putting all these posts together, by the way. They're an excellent roundup and really fascinating stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 22:11 
Unpossible!

Craster wrote:
Thanks for putting all these posts together, by the way. They're an excellent roundup and really fascinating stuff.

:this: beex is my first choice news outlet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 23:06 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Thanks guys. I'm not normally one to keep up with current events, but this has just grabbed me, it's by far the most remarkable thing I've seen.

Quick update to add a great set of photos from the last few days, and footage of a christian mass that took place today. Sandmonkey asks "Please note that under Mubarak's rule, this has never happened."

OMG IZLAMISZTS!!!

I have to say, I love the fact that one of the biggest online names in this protest is a guy calling himself "sandmonkey". Talk about reclaiming the slur.

Also, word is bouncing around that delegations from other cities and areas of Egypt have arrived in Tahrir square to talk about how to move the... movement forward. We may be seeing a bona fide democratic revolution forming a government from start to finish. Bizarre.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 

According to Al-Jazeera, the protestors in Tahil Square have set up smoking and non-smoking areas.

See what today brings.

And yes, I agree with Sinister - these protests, and the reaction to them by the authorities, have been fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 17:03 

Guardian reporting that the regime has announced a 15% payrise for the public sector and its pensioners.

Germany is suspending arms exports to Egypt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 17:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kern wrote:
Germany is suspending arms exports to Egypt.

"Mein Gott, Papa, why das you lock ein gate now? Dobbin ist already gone!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 

DictatorScum, day 12:

Hague in Tunisia to give his support for 'change'

Rumours circulating that Mubarak will go to Germany for his health (but these are just rumours)

Google employee Wael Ghonim has been released

Question of whether Cairo is returning to normal, and if the protestors will hold out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 
Sleepyhead

Gotta say I'm (very pleasantly) surprised that Google guy got released without being dead. Can't imagine that having happened if there was no media and social media coverage...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 16:55 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Curiosity wrote:
Gotta say I'm (very pleasantly) surprised that Google guy got released without being dead. Can't imagine that having happened if there was no media and social media coverage...

He was kept blindfolded in solitary confinement for 12 days, however. But yeah, I imagine he'd have otherwise been vaporised.

Today's big event was a sit-in at Cairo's Parliament building - several hundred (500 given by someone on the ground, so let's say 200 - 300 for cynicism). Apparently quite the success, and people are staying the night. The army have said they will clear them away tomorrow, however they said this about Tahrir square last week. Protests continue around the country, and Tahrir is becoming a home away from home for many. Word is spreading about specific people who've disappeared in the hope that they too will be released.

Wael Ghonim speaks in an interview - subtitles aren't terrific, but they're clear enough. It's the second video.

Quote:
The heroes are the ones who gave their lives. The heroes are the ones that were beaten. The heroes are the ones who were arrested and were expsed to danger. I was not a hero. What happened to me made me regret that I wasn't with the people.

This is actually really difficult to watch. He's torn up that he's being hailed as an icon when other people are being killed and getting nothing, among other things.

Tahrir Square remains full - earlier today. Egypt itself seems to be getting back to relatively normal. All in all, it sounds rather surreal, but everyone's settling in for the long haul. Some talk of asking the UN to mediate, but I can't see that happening, it's too big a precedent.

A quite decent summary from the BBC. Internationally, there seems to be little comment from governments.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 

Wonderfully cynical cartoon on the always interesting 'War is Boring' blog:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 

Strikes happening in major towns around Egypt.

Interesting piece on Reuters (hat tip: the Guardian's blog) on views outside the conurbations:
http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews ... TQ20110209

Suleiman warned yesterday that the only alternative to Mubarak leaving when he promised to would be 'a coup'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:44 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Kern wrote:
Strikes happening in major towns around Egypt.

Interesting piece on Reuters (hat tip: the Guardian's blog) on views outside the conurbations:
http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews ... TQ20110209

Suleiman warned yesterday that the only alternative to Mubarak leaving when he promised to would be 'a coup'.

Oh dear. I'm not convinced that given the whole 'very popular military' and 'very unpopular dictator' thing, I'd be telling people that the alternative to the dictator is the military.

Besides, he's a known liar and scumbag. This is all just posturing to scare people - the propaganda war is the only chance Mubarak has now, and with the re-establishment of the internet, the material the egyptians have is only growing. This isn't a fight they're likely to win. Hell, they let the Google man go, and I doubt Google are going to take kindly to having their executive kidnapped and tortured (and if you think sleep deprivation and solitary confinement aren't torture, go ahead and try them). They'd probably have been better off splatting him and blaming looters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 16:26 

BBC and Guardian now reporting rumours reported by AP that senior party and military officials are discussing meeting 'all' the protestors' demands. Of course, these are only rumours, and given Mubarak's earlier grasp of the situation he probably thinks they want him to stay on for a bit longer or do a striptease or something.

We can hope they are offering him the one-way goldplated ticket to Latin America or Saudi or London, however. Only rumours, mind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 16:44 

Al-Jazeera's blog says:
"A senior military commander is reported to have told protesters that all their demands will be met, but no official confirmation is yet available"

BBC blog:
" AFP news agency reports that the army's supreme council is meeting without President Mubarak. In a statement, they said they would take "necessary measures to protect the nation and support the legitimate demands of the people"

AJ: http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/ ... t-protests
BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698 (nb: textbased, but video occasionally plays automatically so watch out if you are at work)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 16:54 

AJ blog:
"5:39pm: Huge chant, Tahrir Square seemingly in unison, shouting: "The army and the people in one hand - the army and the people are united."

Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/20 ... middleeast):
"The military's supreme council has been meeting today, without Mubarak, who is the commander in chief, and announced on state TV its "support of the legitimate demands of the people".

A spokesman said the council was in permanent session "to explore what measures and arrangements could be made to safeguard the nation, its achievements and the ambitions of its great people".

General Hassan al-Roueini, the military commander for the Cairo area, told thousands of protesters in central Tahrir Square: "All your demands will be met today."

3.40pm: AFP is reporting an army source as saying: "We are awaiting orders that will make the people happy."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:00 

BBC:
"Here's the full text of that army council meeting: "In the name of God, Statement No 1, issued by the Higher Council of the Armed Forces, stemming from the armed forces' responsibility and committing to the protection of the people, safeguarding their interest and security, and keen on the safety of the homeland, the citizens and the achievements of the great Egyptian people, and asserting the legitimate rights of the people, the Higher Council of the Armed Forces convened today, Thursday 10 February 2011, to deliberate on the latest developments of the situation and decided to remain in continuous session to discuss what measures and arrangements could be taken to safeguard the homeland and its achievements, and the aspirations of the great Egyptian people. Peace, mercy and the blessings of God."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:04 
Peculiar, yet lovely

:!:

I'm going to end up being on the bus home when this happens. Bloody military. Still, I suppose by waiting until now, they may have avoided even more violence. Will be interesting to see what the Egyptians think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:20 

AP (via Guardian) noting that Suleiman wasn't at that meeting either. AP also suggesting the military are taking things on themselves , especially regarding the use of 'order number 1'.

Information minister says it's all a rumour and Mubarak is still there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:25 

Guardian report for those after a summary of events here

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:26 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Kern wrote:

"There are no tanks protestors in Baghdad Tahrir Square."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:32 

sinister agent wrote:
Kern wrote:

"There are no tanks protestors in Baghdad Tahrir Square."

Egyptian PM echoing this. White House saying they are watching Al-Jazeera the situation but do not know what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:38 

Reports that Mubarak will make a statement tonight.

In other news, Egypt not interested in Lady Ashton:

Quote:
According to a senior EU official speaking to press in Brussels on Wednesday evening, Egyptian authorities made it known that now is not the best time: "The foreign minister has said he doesn't want visitors in Cairo in February because their calendar is too heavily loaded ... very busy domestic agenda."

http://euobserver.com/9/31782

'It's not you... it's me'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:50 

AJ reporting an increased number of tanks in Cairo compared to previous days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 18:37 

Barack Obama: "We're going to have to wait to see what's going on."

(BBC)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 19:00 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The US there, demonstrating the kind of noble ideals we've come to expect from a people who never shut the fuck up about democracy and freedom and whatever other excuse they can use to bomb people who have stuff they want.

Bah.

History in the making tonight, one way or another. Eee! I turned down an unknown event with Polish Girl to watch this. It'd better be good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 19:01 

Reposting the link to the AJ stream:
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

I'm surprisingly moved by the cheering from the crowds in Tahir Square. Let's hope it's not in vain.

Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next