Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 
Skillmeister

Spent an enjoyable 5 hours in the company of our very own Mr Dave on Gears of War last night. Second time through on Insane this time and my main thoughts are:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
THAT FUCKING FUCKING FUCKER OF A FUCK SMELTING CART BASTARD FUCKING 50 CUNT MINUTES BASTARD. The Junker we did first time though though. Huh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 18:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 19:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

The real question is, what the hell does the asterisked part say?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 19:06 
Kindly deeds done for free

ComicalGnomes wrote:
The real question is, what the hell does the asterisked part say?

"In a matter of minutes. Probably" is the best my eyes could come up with.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 19:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ah, very good, my eyes were trying to tell me it was 'As a matter of excellence', which seemed odd.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 19:43 
making out to faces of death

I am listening to my friend play live music by the power of the internets. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 19:48 
lazy eye patch

AceAceBaby wrote:
I am listening to my friend play live music by the power of the internets. :)

Via the internet? Not your close friend, then? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 19:54 

He plays in Second Life with some streaming gubbins.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 20:01 
lazy eye patch

AceAceBaby wrote:
He plays in Second Life with some streaming gubbins.

The Streaming Gubbins? I preferred their early EPs tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 23:43 

Gah! Shiny Vista laughed as it gobbled up my most recent photos and spat them out into the digital ether. >:|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:05 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:

Not uncommon. Seen a whole data centre that hosts services every single one of you use every day kept up by some portable aircon units when the aircon plant overloaded.

A major UK broadcaster that needs to "blank" certain sporting events because they don't have the internet rights had the blanking message played from my old portable minidisk player for 6 weeks as the normal unit had broken and we could only get a replacement on back order. This wasn't my shiny newer unit, but my old one which no longer could record reliably. Surfice to say it did a sterling job.

Then they was the time that a car crashed into the junction box outside a radio station I worked at knocking out the line to the transmitter. No NTL contract so at 11pm on a Saturday night we had to drive up to the transmitter and literally jerry-rigged a feed from our second transmitter using a portable receiver, a feed out of the earphone socket and some bare wires stuck in the inputs and held with matchsticks! It worked.

Shit like this happens. More to the point the person who took that photo should be fired because it's terribly unprofessional. Certainly photos in any broadcast areas, data centre I've ever worked in were strictly forbidden.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 
Gogmagog

We was cooking up a BBQ in the garden at Mali Towers and then there was a big loud noise.

All of a sudden, a jet aeroplane with RAF marking came over the houses really low, then it went FUCKING VERTICAL and done a loop the loop and zoomed off again.

About a minute later, the same plane appeared coming in very fast and low, then over my garden started to gain height and it done a barrel roll and fucked off to the west.

I ate bambi burgers as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 

I could smell someone cooking a barbeque last night - must have been you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's where my air display got to.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 

Thought it might have just have been a remote controlled airplane of yours, Grim...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've just had my Sky+ box installed by a grumpy, almost incomprehensible Liverpudlian, who, on finding out that I don't have my sky connected to a phone line insisted he couldn't install Sky+ without it, and that it was against the contract to not have it plugged in. I told him to install it, and that if sky wanted to complain at me, they could go right ahead because I'd just cancel my contract.

Anyway, bottom line is: he's left me with my old sky box and remote, with cables. Are these worth selling anymore? Is there any fun use I could get out of them myself?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:04 

He's right, it's a condition of your Sky contract it has a phone connection.

I doubt they'll ever notice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

I asked the guy why, since it being connected doesn't affected the operation of the box, and he couldn't answer. I don't like the idea that Sky want me connected even though I don't need to be. Never watched I, Robot? They'll do a firmware update and my sky box will attack me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 
baron of techno

MaliA wrote:
We was cooking up a BBQ in the garden at Mali Towers and then there was a big loud noise.

All of a sudden, a jet aeroplane with RAF marking came over the houses really low, then it went FUCKING VERTICAL and done a loop the loop and zoomed off again.

Was it a eurofighter?
I was at an airshow yesterday and that thing zoomed in and made a very loud noise.

The commentator said it has more thrust than it weighs, so it can fly directly upwards, which it proceeded to do.
I didn't get a photo of that because I was too busy putting my fingers in my ears.

They also had this one flown by Stewart Campbell:

And some nutters:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:

I've done radio interviews with the Eurofighter up and it was the loudest thing I've ever heard.

The aircraft is so aerodynamically unstable that the computers keep it in the air.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:29 
lazy eye patch

kalmar wrote:
They also had this one flown by Stewart Campbell:

That's a silly name.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:30 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I've done radio interviews with the Eurofighter up and it was the loudest thing I've ever heard.

And now over to our reporter in the field, Mike Gain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:54 
Time Out for Fun

sunderland air show? you would have been mere miles from me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 13:31 
Sitting balls-back folder

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I asked the guy why, since it being connected doesn't affected the operation of the box, and he couldn't answer. I don't like the idea that Sky want me connected even though I don't need to be. Never watched I, Robot? They'll do a firmware update and my sky box will attack me.

It's so the box can ring home in the middle of the night and upload all your viewing habits/actions, the use/sale of which makes Sky as much money as taking money off subscribers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 13:40 

Plus it's how it handles buying "Events", so they want it connected so you feel less barrier to doing so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 13:54 
baron of techno

Runcle wrote:
sunderland air show? you would have been mere miles from me.

Nah, east fortune airshow, near edinburgh.
Still, mere minutes from you in a fast jet, I suspect :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:02 
UltraMod

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Not uncommon. Seen a whole data centre that hosts services every single one of you use every day kept up by some portable aircon units when the aircon plant overloaded.

A major UK broadcaster that needs to "blank" certain sporting events because they don't have the internet rights had the blanking message played from my old portable minidisk player for 6 weeks as the normal unit had broken and we could only get a replacement on back order. This wasn't my shiny newer unit, but my old one which no longer could record reliably. Surfice to say it did a sterling job.

Then they was the time that a car crashed into the junction box outside a radio station I worked at knocking out the line to the transmitter. No NTL contract so at 11pm on a Saturday night we had to drive up to the transmitter and literally jerry-rigged a feed from our second transmitter using a portable receiver, a feed out of the earphone socket and some bare wires stuck in the inputs and held with matchsticks! It worked.

Shit like this happens. More to the point the person who took that photo should be fired because it's terribly unprofessional. Certainly photos in any broadcast areas, data centre I've ever worked in were strictly forbidden.

Usually those signs are there to stop cleaners unplugging things. I've seen Major Incidents occur due to cleaners unplugging servers so they can plug the hoover in...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:12 
Sleepyhead

I've had such an odd feeling all this weekend. I'm not bored, as I have hundreds of things I can do, all of which are fun, but whichever I do, I feel I should be doing something else instead that's more fun, or more worthwhile, which is all serving to annoy me, which is even more annoying since this is the only relaxing weekend doing nothing I have for months, and I want to just enjoy it, but my brain won't let me.

:(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:25 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
I've had such an odd feeling all this weekend. I'm not bored, as I have hundreds of things I can do, all of which are fun, but whichever I do, I feel I should be doing something else instead that's more fun, or more worthwhile, which is all serving to annoy me, which is even more annoying since this is the only relaxing weekend doing nothing I have for months, and I want to just enjoy it, but my brain won't let me.

:(

:this:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:31 
Paws for thought

While walking across town this morning, I got passed by a car with a rather substantial mast. "James May is at it again" I hear you think, but no, it was a mast with a huge camera array on it. And google branding across the side. I now have a hunch that Google Earths zoomed in 3d mode is about to get an upgrade, because I can't think of much else use for that kind of information. Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:31 

It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of summer, long evening notwithstanding. I should be out gamboling in the fields but instead I'm gazing at job applications.

I might go for a pint instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:56 
Rakish Member

Mr Dave wrote:
While walking across town this morning, I got passed by a car with a rather substantial mast. "James May is at it again" I hear you think, but no, it was a mast with a huge camera array on it. And google branding across the side. I now have a hunch that Google Earths zoomed in 3d mode is about to get an upgrade, because I can't think of much else use for that kind of information. Any other ideas?

Yeah, it will be for their new Street View function.

They have already implemented it for major US cities.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 15:57 
Sleepyhead

Mr Dave wrote:

Yup. It's already online in America, or at least parts of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:01 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:

It'll be for the UK's version of Google's Street View

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:03 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've spent most of the day on the sofa going 'arrragh!' every time I try to move because my back still hurts.

On the plus side I've booked tickets to see The Dark Knight at 7.30pm in the Gallery, mwahaha!

Also I'm suffering that 'haven't been to the gym for a while' muscle ache that you get when you go for the first time in ages.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:04 
Comfortably Dumb

KevR wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Yeah, it will be for their new Street View function.

They have already implemented it for major US cities.

Bugger.. beaten to it - I swear those posts weren't there a minute ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:06 
Comfortably Dumb

Kern wrote:
It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of summer, long evening notwithstanding. I should be out gamboling in the fields but instead I'm gazing at job applications.

I might go for a pint instead.

I'm not a fan of Summer because of days like today - it's baking hot which meant wandering round car boot sales trying to find shade.

On the plus side, I picked up a boxed Speak & Spell and Castlevania SOTN for 50p each. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:07 
Paws for thought

Does this mean that there'll be a me on that street, or is it sophisticated enough to remove the me. (Does not like pictures of me that much)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:11 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
Does this mean that there'll be a me on that street, or is it sophisticated enough to remove the me. (Does not like pictures of me that much)

According to this article you'll end up blurry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:28 
UltraMod

I saw this funny Google Earth image in which there was a cyclist riding down the road. If you clicked further on down the road you found him on the floor tangled up with his bike.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

On a related note, google maps NEVER works for me any more. The maps just fail to load, and all I ever get is a blank screen. I've been forced to used multimap instead. Am I the only one?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The google streetview cars have been driving round the UK for the last month or so. I saw one in croydon yesterday and in Canary Wharf a couple of weeks ago.. Currently there is no streetview in the UK, correct? They must be setting up to roll it out here. Black car, about the size of a Corsa, with a 6 foot pole on top with cameras on, yes?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:42 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

ComicalGnomes wrote:
On a related note, google maps NEVER works for me any more. The maps just fail to load, and all I ever get is a blank screen. I've been forced to used multimap instead. Am I the only one?

Works for me in all my browsers, in all my operating systems (I just checked).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 17:18 
Sleepyhead

ComicalGnomes wrote:

This often happens to me too, and it is causing to occasionally have to use other mapping services, which is annoying, as Google Maps be da bestest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 19:00 
Skillmeister

I'd just like to wish Pundy good luck in his new job tomorrow. Hope everything starts on a good note for you, duder.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 20:07 

After playing the Fantastic Contraption, I had a jump across to b3ta to see what else is in the newsletter and found this in this weeks image challenge :DD http://www.b3ta.com/board/8591013

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 21:05 

I had to go into Leeds to return a scratched pre-owned COD4 disc. Boo. But they gave me a refund so I bought it new from Argos for less money thanks to the bargains thread. Hooray.

And I got one of these. Whee!

And a little WD 250gb passport drive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 21:06 
Awesome
Yes

Meh, Coke Zero's not all that ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 21:06 

:DD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 21:31 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
Black car, about the size of a Corsa, with a 6 foot pole on top with cameras on, yes?

More bloody foreigners taking our jobs.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 60  Next