Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sci-fi films and war
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So there are tons of war films, good ones and bad ones.

There are tons of sci-fi films, good ones and bad ones.

Why is the only sci-fi war film I can bring to mind Starship Troopers? There's bits in other films, like the "THIS IS THE FUTURE" scenes from the Terminator films, but where are all the rest? Would the SFX really be that costly to put on a decent futuristic war movie, or even series? I'm thinking Band of Brothers with space aliens would be bloody marvellous.

Post subject: Re: Sci-fi films and war
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:12 
Skillmeister

Erm.. Star Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:
Erm.. Star Wars.

Not a war film, though, is it? It's an action movie. It's much more Die Hard than The Thin Red Line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:17 
Rakish Member

The War of the Worlds.

Sleepyhead

Dammit, Hollywood! Film Stephen Donaldson's "The Gap" series!

Excellent Member

Aliens

always described as Vietnam movie in space.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:21 
Skillmeister

Star WARS

I contribute to the conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:26 
Rakish Member

Mars Attacks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:29 
Skillmeister

BATTLEstar Galatica.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:35 
Isn't that lovely?

Curiosity wrote:
Dammit, Hollywood! Film Stephen Donaldson's "The Gap" series!

:this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this:

bit racy for hollywood mind...

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:46 

LaceSensor wrote:
Aliens

always described as Vietnam movie in space.

Heh. Alien was a high concept pitch, someone wanted 'Jaws in Space' and it led to Platoon in space :D

Empire Strikes Back was a war movie, though. It had that feel, Lucas made one of is better decisions when Irving Kershner wa hired for that job. Why he gave Jedi to Marquand I'll never know. At least he didn't do it himself. In fact he dd have his reasons but I've forgotten them.

Anderson/Herbert's Dune trilogy which concerns tself with the Butlerian Jihad woud make some good 'war scifi'.

How about Star Trek, with yer Klingons? Fairly warlike. Dr. Who Peter Cushing 'gaiden' stuff with Daleks?

Last Starfighter? Enemy Mine? Galaxy Quest? Krull? Transformers? Wing Commander? All of which are sc-fi (Krull is set on an alien world where aliens are invading and waging war...) and all of which exist within the conext of a state of war, I'm trying to think of an Earth Historical war film whic features an individual from each of two warring factions a la Enemy Mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 20:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

I see Craster's point. In all of the above films any space-based fighting is an incidental element of the plot, rather than the plot itself.

The main problem of BSG as a 'war' concept is that the humans have no replenishable resources. In other words, they can't fight any proper war because they can't replace anything they lose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 20:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I see Craster's point. In all of the above films any space-based fighting is an incidental element of the plot, rather than the plot itself.

Bingo. I want fleets, I want massed armies, I want guns, armour, artillery, spaceships. I want strategy, I want tactics. I want generals, I want captains, I want squaddies. I want boot camp, grizzled sergeants and mess huts.

I don't want futuristic aliens attacking present day Earth - that's not a war film, it's an alien invasion film.

I don't want scary aliens leaping out on people in the darkness - that's not a war film, it's a sci-fi horror.

Not that I don't love these other genres, I'm just surprised at the lack of epic military scifi out there. Starship Troopers is literally the only one I can think of that really fits the bill.

Even Empire - sure it had some great army bits in it, but again the film was mostly about the characters involved avoiding the warfare as best they could.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 21:25 
Excellent Member

Yeah, aside from Starship troopers the only pure sci-fi war stuff I can think of is Babylon 5. Basically the Earth civil war arc being the strongest element. Despite some occassionally appalling dialogue its a pretty spiffy back-and-forth war. I wasn't a Deep Space 9 fan so I don't know how they did the Dominion War.

The Wing Commander film was stunningly bad.

Space Above & Beyond I never liked due to the staggering cliche shallowness of the characters and the empty ideas, but some people like it for their space-war kicks I guess.

There's an amusing Babylon 5 / Star Trek spoof made by a big bunch of Finns that has a Star Trek away team stranded on Earth who decide to fuck the prime directive, take over Russia, start a new space empire and find Babylon 5. They decide to occupy it and enslave alternate Earth. Incompetence, cowardice, drunkeness and stupidity is displayed by pretty much all characters on all sides. I was drunk when I saw it at a mate's but it was quite funny, I think you can get it for free on their website. The SFX are Babylon 5 standard.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 21:26 
Rude Belittler

I must try to track down Geordie Star Wars again at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 21:44 
Excellent Member

I've got it. Give me the webspace, I'll upload it.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 21:52 
lazy eye patch

There's Soldier - except that doesn't actually have a war. Erm. Good question.

Pete - the Dominion War was surprisingly well done. I suspect it might hold up better today than Babylon 5 does. It definitely 'looks' better. I watched DS9 for the first time a couple of years ago, and it's very good. Best to go into it not really expecting too much though. Also! It has the same fault as B5 does as regard its final season. I recommend you do as I was told to, and watch from the last episode of the second series onwards. Many episodes of it are at least as good as the best individual episodes of Babylon 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

DS9 was full of wishy washy shite until the Dominion war came along. They must have (thankfully) realised early on that the same basic arcless episodes weren't going to cut it and the introduction of a continuous plot theme was fantastic and something modern star treks should learn from. They realised this after a couple of seasons of shite 'Enterprise' too, and again that arc was very good and held together fairly well, but was implemented too late to save the series. However I still hold a grudge against 'Enterprise', firstly for it's very name (PICK ANOTHER SHIP NAME FOR FUCKS SAKE), and the stupid non-trek theme music.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:28 
Rude Belittler

CUS wrote:
There's Soldier - except that doesn't actually have a war. Erm. Good question.

Pete - the Dominion War was surprisingly well done. I suspect it might hold up better today than Babylon 5 does. It definitely 'looks' better. I watched DS9 for the first time a couple of years ago, and it's very good. Best to go into it not really expecting too much though. Also! It has the same fault as B5 does as regard its final season. I recommend you do as I was told to, and watch from the last episode of the second series onwards. Many episodes of it are at least as good as the best individual episodes of Babylon 5.

As not a massive fan of Star Trek, I have to agree. When the Dominion War heats up, it's riveting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Star Wars, Episode 2 had large war scenes.
The Matrix 3 might fit the bill also, but these are both poor war films compared to Starship Troopers.
I would suggest Starship Troopers 2, but I haven't seen it, and don't plan to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've been trying to think of an anime sci-fi war film, and I'm still drawing a blank.

Plissken wrote:

How big is it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:35 
Skillmeister

Starship Troopers 2 is vastly shite. It looks as if it was filmed in a warehouse. In the dark. In fog. It's awful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is it Sci-fi war, though?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 23:46 
Where are you?

It's more like sci-fi BORE! A-ho!

I'm very tired.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 0:02 
lazy eye patch

You said it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 0:50 
Excellent Member

You could probably argue that the last of the original Planet of the Apes films is a war film (albeit a crap one). There's also Screamers, which is more of a squaddie film. Doom is another, as is Resident Evil (kind of a zombie movie/squaddie movie hybrid), but those are more tenuous. Battle Royale? The Shape of Things to Come?

I suppose part of the problem is that war films (the Band of Brothers type film, anyway) are fiercely character-driven, whilst sci fi films tend to be more concept-driven. It would be difficult to flesh out the characters in a sci fi war film enough to be able to say something significant about war whilst at the same time fully exploring the sci fi concept. Star Wars and Aliens don't pretend to make any profound statements about war; Starship Troopers does, but as its whole purpose is to be satirical I think that's an aberration.

I can't think of a war film that I'd rate that doesn't try to say something about war through its characters, even if it's just "war is great!" like the 40s propaganda pieces.

On the other hand, there must be dozens of sci fi/war novels. Perhaps the films are just technically difficult to do?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:04 
making out to faces of death

nervouspete wrote:
Space Above & Beyond I never liked due to the staggering cliche shallowness of the characters and the empty ideas, but some people like it for their space-war kicks I guess.

Aww. I really liked Space Above & Beyond. I did have a crush on Shane Vansen though. Hooyah!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:17 
Peculiar, yet lovely

mrbogus wrote:
On the other hand, there must be dozens of sci fi/war novels. Perhaps the films are just technically difficult to do?

I'm writing one! Well, it looks like being a long time before I get to the war bit, and it looks like being excruciatingly long, too. I can't imagine how it would translate to film. Maybe a long-running tv series, but even that wouldn't really work. I think you're spot on with that concept/character conflict. I'm very much a 'character' person, and while the story I have in mind concerns a lot of science fiction stuff and a civil war, it's driven by the people and really about what happens to them rather than about how terrible war is (The necessity of the war is in fact debatable, depending on whether you believe the fascists who amongst other things suppress news of an epidemic and get thousands of poor people killed, the mercenary protecting people for money, or the popular revolutionary who kidnaps and possibly murders a general's children to manipulate the government, or something else entirely. So having a solid message about war at large isn't really the deal there, and I suspect that's the nature of most relevant science fiction). War is essentially a backdrop or plot device, typically.

A fictional war, particularly one in an imaginary future, just doesn't have the same impact as seeing a Vietnam flick and knowing that stuff exactly like this happened more recently than the recording of your favourite album (if you have any taste, that is).

It could also be the likely nature of future wars - we're already at the point where open conflict between nations and groups is diminished in favour of espionage, machinery and nukes. If you add enough science fiction to that, you'll get to the point where traditional war stories are harder to fit in. Dune is a pretty ood example of how to get around that, but even Dune portrays guerilla warfare and isn't really about the war, but about prescience and psychology.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:07 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Pundabaya wrote:
As not a massive fan of Star Trek, I have to agree. When the Dominion War heats up, it's riveting.

Yeah, not only does it get quite dark, bloody and broody at times, but you've got a blad headed black captain with a beard KICKING ASS in a pretty sexy ship as far as trek standards go. It's like Shaft in space, or something.

The enemys are basically Klingons for the modern trek generation. But c'mon, which sci-fi doesn't have hairy, angry dudes who LIVE FOR BATTLE AND HONOUR! It's like the sci-fi implementation of feudal Japan or contemporary grindcore fans.

ps: The film Dune? Yeah. Proper shit. I recently re-watched it and it's a bit of an abortion, to be honest. It's completely rushed but at the same time dully paced. The characters seem to just emote (Futurama: "You can't just have your chararcters SAY how they feel! OH that makes me ANGRY!") with inner monolouges and talk about things that are entirley plot pushing devices. Also, it makes no fucking sense at the best of times.

I also downloaded the ment-to-be-fab sci-fi channel series of dune. I've only watched an episode though, so I can't comment.

Additionally....the kids TV program Reboot was a bit dark and warry in the final series..... What?!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Also:
Re Sci-fi being mutually exclusive to story telling. PAH.

I just raed this:
http://fidgit.com/archives/2008/06/deus ... p-cast.php
Quote:
Which is the perfect opportunity to quote BioShock's creative lead, Ken Levine:

Games are really in the Stone Age in terms of storytelling. They're very tied into sort of sixth grade composition class styles of presenting story and structure. A perfect example is you start a game and there's a narrator using forty proper nouns in the opening sequence. From an audience perspective, I think that's the most off-putting thing you could possibly do…What's brilliant about Star Wars from a structural stand point is that there's this giant intergalactic struggle, which we're all familiar with from almost every game we've played, but [George Lucas] put it in the focus of a family. From the first couple of movies, you really know very little detail about the universe that doesn't impact that immediate family. That's why people relate to it. The drama comes not from the external elements but from the internal elements.

Yeah sure, it's about games, but it's still a very good point. Star Wars is great for one reason: It's basically a normal film "in space!". That is, you take a strong, character driven plot, which could easily be any of those WWII war films, and make the guns lazers. Done. You've Sci-Fi'd it up. At no point during the first few Star Wars films do they try and be technical. whilst watching the characters interact with each other there just happens to be fancy glowing swords and guys in power armour, etc.

A final though there is about Warhammer 40k. Personally I never got into the story side of it all that much. But that's basically one massive war story and I believe it does it really well. The sci-fi is there, but most of the stories are character related or theme drive (war is bad/good). They could easily make a film out of any one of the W40K backstories. Infact, I don't know why they haven't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:55 
Where are you?

Same goes for some of the 2000 AD stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Rogue Trooper and VCs, but both are popular with the comic's readers, and are overtly future war.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 
lazy eye patch

Pod wrote:
I also downloaded the ment-to-be-fab sci-fi channel series of dune. I've only watched an episode though, so I can't comment.

It's shit. Have you read the books? You should read the books. The series is very poor indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:02 

The series has brilliant bits and the odd ropey bit, but is in general far closer to the book than Lynch's horrid film. Then there's your Children of Dune sequel series, which is aces. I heart Ghanima.

But yes, read the books first, certain Dune, Messiah and Children.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 
Excellent Member

Goatboy wrote:
I'm trying to think of an Earth Historical war film whic features an individual from each of two warring factions a la Enemy Mine.

Hell in the Pacific
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063056/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 
Sleepyhead

AceAceBaby wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

Aww. I really liked Space Above & Beyond. I did have a crush on Shane Vansen though. Hooyah!

I also like S:A&B. Kill the chigs!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have it on DVD. The SFX have suffered somewhat and the whole 'tank-racism' thing seems even more clunky and shoehorned in, but other than that it's ace.
James Morrison was a great captain :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:02 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Dune is one of the best books ever written, it's fucking excellent. The rest of the series I recall being intermittently great, but I haven't read them for years so can't remember much more than that. The cash-ins by his son can fuck off, but the original is just breathtaking. I read it again last year, having read it about six, and then ten years ago previously. I hadn't realised just how profoundly it had affected my writing and thinking and understanding of psychology and philosophy. Wonderful storytelling in a richly detailed, imaginative world, with real depth of character and an excellent balance of direct exposition and subtle implication.

The film was utter crap, though. Kind of visually interesting, and ambitious, but didn't convey the spirit of the story at all, would be totally incomprehensible if you hadn't read the book, and missed the point of half the characters. And what the fuck was all that "heart plug" shit?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
I have it on DVD. The SFX have suffered somewhat and the whole 'tank-racism' thing seems even more clunky and shoehorned in, but other than that it's ace.
James Morrison was a great captain :)

When I saw him in '24' I jumped up and down and pointed, but the feyonce had no idea what I was on about.

:(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I've been trying to think of an anime sci-fi war film, and I'm still drawing a blank.

Plissken wrote:

How big is it?

About 300Mb, I think.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 19:50 
Kindly deeds done for free

Grim... wrote:
I have it on DVD.

Is that the one with the "spot the deliberate mistake" DVD menus?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 21:56 

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmzP-OmZFA

and I know the second one was toss, but as straight to video fare goes this has to be worth a punt... and JONNY MOTHFUCKING RICO is back. No Doogie Howser or Mrs. Sheen though, alas. If she were she'd probably have gotten them out and then we'd be sorted.

Gosh, I hope Goatboy arrives soon... I need jizz on my face...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:42 
lazy eye patch

Halo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:04 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

tossrStu wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I have it on DVD.

I don't get it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:17 
making out to faces of death

Isn't that the Babylon Five space station?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:40 

Is that Cameron Diaz on the left?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:30 
Skillmeister

tossrStu wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I have it on DVD.

Ooh! I get it! That man's head is a 1/4 of the size of the planet! Stupid mistake!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:34 
Worst

His head is bigger than a neighbouring galaxy.

Unless I'm falling for that 'These are small... but the ones out there are far away' Father Ted trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:35 
Skillmeister

The man on the right has no legs, or he's some sort of giant burrowing worm-man and is emerging from the planet's ocean.

Also, big head man might be the sun from Teletubbies when he's grown up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:40 
Worst

That's fantastic! I'm now imagining this 'Space Above and Beyond' to be a series of hour-long Whack-a-Mole games where random dudes pop out of holes in planets and take pot-shots at gigantic players of the game.

I hope the programme is as much fun as the title screen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:50 
Peculiar, yet lovely

throughsilver wrote:
His head is bigger than a neighbouring galaxy.

That might not be a mistake - I used to work with a bloke who was the same.

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next