Non-Genre Specific Music Thread
Not quite been a day but already getting over 4% likes to view ratio on Ballacid’s channel. 223 views so far! Compared to 26 on mine over 5 days…

Which is nice.
I've recently accepted invitations to go to a few concerts lately, it's been fun.

Grinspoon - a popular aussie band from the late 90s / early 2000s. They were really good and I recognised one or two sings off the radio. We were right at the front in a pretty good venue. Solid.

They were supported by Private Function - fucking brilliant, punky and funny too. I've been listening to this band a lot since then

Blink 182 at an arena roughly the size of the O2 - really good but my mate bought really expensive 'vip' tickets so we had good seats, but I don't think it was worth the money we paid. Travis is an absolute beast on the drums though, wow.

Finally, the pick of the bunch, the Southern River Band. This was in a small-ish pub in the city with a side room that holds a couple of hundred people. Holy shit these guys were loud, lively and brilliant. The frontman is very much an Australian stereotype. He can really play and has plenty of charisma. The drummer was an animal playing live. They're playing in London soon too - you should totally check it out if you like straightforward hard-ish heavy rock with a touch of flamboyant humour (which I do).

Can’t beat going to gigs, sounds like they were all great bands!
I always try and say yes if invited to stuff, even if not my usual cuppa chances are it’ll be a good do.
Speaking of which I want to see Heaven 17 a couple of weeks ago and they were brilliant.
I remember when I had hair like that.

Will get tickets for this, I reckon. Then Duff will be equal first with Peaness and Do Nothing in the "people I have seen most often on stage".
Must be difficult going through life with a name that is clearly a euphemism for *something*. Fair play for becoming a world (well, Europe) touring musician anyway.
Ticket price was half a Taylor. Jeez.
Self indulgent post, sorry, but I’m really chuffed with this.

Got featured again on Ballacid’s YouTube channel who I’m a big fan of.

https://youtu.be/lZZVeqh4wME?si=riKP1uXU44LeGDbw

Something nice (for me) in a shitty time.
I think these guys might be the most interesting band at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzgPhjfuUIg
Managed to finish another tune on the last day of May, that’s five for five now. Also got it featured on the Ballacid channel (Thanks Zoltan!) :luv:

Digitakt II should be arriving today, hope I can get to grips with it quickly and it gels nicely with my current setup, looks like a great little box of tricks.
Zardoz wrote:
Managed to finish another tune on the last day of May, that’s five for five now. Also got it featured on the Ballacid channel (Thanks Zoltan!) :luv:

Digitakt II should be arriving today, hope I can get to grips with it quickly and it gels nicely with my current setup, looks like a great little box of tricks.

Love this. Like Aphex got lost in (Orbital's) Belfast.
That’s very very kind of you to say :luv:
Taylor Swift was amazing.
Absolutely phenomenal.
Girls Aloud in a couple of weeks . They have a high bar.
Take a stool mate.
MaliA wrote:
Taylor Swift was amazing.
Absolutely phenomenal.

Swear down, if she said "I need 10 people to come upon stage and have their arms cut off" there would be 5,000 up there. I would be one of them.
This is how religions were formed
I've not really bothered listening to anything she's done but I see mentions of her everywhere. St George Hall in Liverpool was covered with Taylor banners the other day.

If you had to recommend one song by her, what would it be?
Blucey wrote:
I've not really bothered listening to anything she's done but I see mentions of her everywhere. St George Hall in Liverpool was covered with Taylor banners the other day.

I require thinking time on this
MaliA wrote:
Blucey wrote:

I require thinking time on this

I can't.

All of them

Forever.
Blank Space

That's a good jumping off point.

1989 is a brilliant album.

Folklore and Evermore are great low key albums.

Tortured Poets is really growing on me: Fortnight, little old me, and I can do it with a broken heart are standout bangers.

"We are never getting back together" and "You Belong With Me" are great pop songs.
Wildest Dreams is probably my favourite.
Except when I hear Champagne Problems.

Or Getaway Car
Oh god, why did you set him off?
Me and the fam got to see her free on her last UK tour at Etihad Stadium along with Charli XCX and Camila Cabello (well those were on stage not sat with me) thanks to my work mates other half being at SJM promotions. Which was nice.
MaliA wrote:
Except when I hear Champagne Problems.

Or Getaway Car

Thanks for the recommendations. I listened to all four. Wildest Dreams was the best of the bunch although I went off of it when the big chorus came in after 2 mins. Until then it was better than the rest. Still, at least I know what Taylor Swift is about now. It's always good to check things out as you never know if there's going to be a song that surprises you.

Like, a mate of mine banged on about Miley Cyrus for ages and while everything she did seemed to be shit, she had one song that was good. Run Away With Me it was called. Good production, good hooks. Decent pop song that. (LOL - I just serached for it and it's by Carly Rae Jepsen. Okay whatever. Still pretty good.)

The issue with Taylor, albeit from just four songs, is that she's not really doing anything that any other massive popstar of her type has done. And that's a problem in a world where Toxic by Britney Spears exists.
In terms of pop songs, I heard this on the pier at Llandudno a few weeks ago and had to Shazam it. It's going on my cooking playlist for kitchen-based terrible singing along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuyYj5ROmk
Blucey wrote:
In terms of pop songs, I heard this on the pier at Llandudno a few weeks ago and had to Shazam it. It's going on my cooking playlist for kitchen-based terrible singing along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuyYj5ROmk

I know that was her big hit, but I prefer this one.

I really like these people. They bring a new meaning to the term 'House Band.' They definitely don't take themselves too seriously .

Been waiting for these guys to release their album. This song is a bit of a grower. Between the Pixies style backbeat and guitar, the great singing and superb lyrics it's such a tight song.

They do a great version of Siouxsie and the Banshees' Arabian Nights too.

EDIT: not sure the embedding is working. Song is Red Hands by Run With Hounds.
Blucey wrote:
Been waiting for these guys to release their album. This song is a bit of a grower. Between the Pixies style backbeat and guitar, the great singing and superb lyrics it's such a tight song.

They do a great version of Siouxsie and the Banshees' Arabian Nights too.

EDIT: not sure the embedding is working. Song is Red Hands by Run With Hounds.

Fixed the embedding for you in the quote (you just need the bit after the equals sign)
I like them! Though will have to wait till they're on Spotify to properly listen. I should do bandcamp and such but... It's too much faff.
Page 22 of 22 [ 1082 posts ]